Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 309436 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #46: Nov 30, 2011 09:48:46 pm
      Yes! Shame the show only lasted 3 seasons as it was one of the best show on TV during 03-05, there is always talk about a movie coming out but nothing been finalized yet.

Not true, it's been confirmed there will be a movie! First, another season to lead in to the movie. I'm excited to see what happened after they escaped to Mexico :P
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #47: Dec 03, 2011 04:27:07 am
      I just started watching the new Ricky Gervais show Lifes Too Short.  I already liked Gervais I like all his stuff..Radio, Podcasts, Extra's.

This new show is hilarious. I actually cried I was laughing so hard.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #48: Dec 03, 2011 06:36:36 am
      I just started watching the new Ricky Gervais show Lifes Too Short.  I already liked Gervais I like all his stuff..Radio, Podcasts, Extra's.

I'm not sure if you have seen it yet but the third episode where Warren goes to view an apartment is the funniest yet.

Brilliant show.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #49: Dec 03, 2011 07:58:46 am
      My over burgeoning DVD collection recently expanded, starting add two shows I've never seen before, Prison Break (season 1) and Lost (seasons 1 & 2) as well as adding the 1st series of Ashes to Ashes.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,506 posts | 424 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #50: Dec 03, 2011 05:56:44 pm
      I'm not sure if you have seen it yet but the third episode where Warren goes to view an apartment is the funniest yet.

Brilliant show.
      I did see that.  I liked the episode when he went to house to get his trophy and was climbing his book case. I almost pissed myself laughing.  That show is brilliant.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,948 posts | 8458 
      Reply #51: Dec 03, 2011 08:17:51 pm
      Looking forward to next Monday's episode of "Fight of their lives" on ITV1 focusing on the bout between Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan, still one of the most brutal boxing matches I think I've ever seen.

Boxing: Pain still fresh of night that cannot be forgotten

An ITV documentary on Monday brings the memories flooding back of how Nigel Benn left Gerald McClellan paralysed and blind after their shocking fight 16 years ago

Some pain never eases, some horror doesn't relent, but there are times when you are obliged to go back, however unwillingly, to the source.

Not out of any dark voyeurism but the need to understand quite what happened, how it was shaped and how it just might affect something as troubling as the ambivalence, for example, of anyone who ever left the boxing ringside torn between guilt and exhilaration.

On Monday night this opportunity comes to anyone who attended the fight between Nigel Benn and Gerald McClellan at the London Arena in February, 1995, an eviscerating collision which left the latter, an American world middleweight champion of ferocious and clinical talent, consigned to a life of blindness and paralysis.

The ITV documentary, screened at 10.35pm, is both disturbing and brilliant. It throws you back into a lifetime of regret and once again it provokes the question that for some can never be satisfactorily resolved, the one that asks if professional fighting can, in the end, ever be truly justified.

Soon after the shocking scenes in the ring, when in the 10th round McClellan, feeling the first disabling effects of a blood clot, twice went down on one knee, was counted out the second time, then collapsed, a motion for the abolition of boxing was tabled in the House of Commons. It was defeated but no one in the sport had any reason to be sanguine, and least of all those in the hospital who heard the understated words of the surgeon charged with saving McClellan's life. He said: "The brain is swollen but that is what we would expect it to be after being punched for 10 rounds. There is a clot in his brain that will end his career and kill him if it isn't taken out."

McClellan spent 11 days in a coma after the emergency operation and eventually he was taken back to his home in Freeport, Illinois by his sister Lisa, who has cared for him with great devotion ever since. She says now that for many years she wanted Benn dead but admits to being moved by the sight of the British fighter, now a lay preacher, weeping when he embraced her brother at the fundraising event he had organised in the West End of London. "Yes, that was a kind of closure," she admits.

One that is maybe not guaranteed to carry her through all the long nights, but then when you think of the convulsion that came to her brother's life, his violent separation from all the certainties created by a talent that had made him in the eyes of many experts the world's best pound-for-pound, most destructive fighter, still a kind of miracle of emotional endurance.

McClellan was an overwhelming favourite, having successfully defended his World Boxing Council middleweight title three times, all of them inside the first round, when he came to London to challenge Benn for his WBC super-middleweight title and his status was confirmed with withering power as early as the first round. He sent Benn sprawling through the ropes and on to the apron of the ring and one of the agonies that came later, when McClellan, who also floored Benn in the eighth round, began to blink uncontrollably and give, in retrospect the first clear evidence that he was in serious trouble, was the belief of many that the French referee, Alfred Asaro had given the British fighter the benefit of a long count.

"The fight should have been over there and then," Stan Johnson, McClellan's trainer, still insists.

Johnson, though, is one of the documentary's least convincing witnesses, especially when he claims there was no evidence that his fighter had developed a serious problem in the ring and, chillingly, Emma McClellan says that she could not say he was a properly qualified coach of boxers.

Her point is augmented by the famous trainer Emmanuel Steward, who had developed McClellan's talent in his Kronk Gym in Detroit and would have been at ringside in London but for contractual disputes. Steward says that had he been in McClellan's corner the tragedy would not have happened

Johnson accuses Benn of being "juiced up on something", claiming for the first time 15 years after the event that the McClellan corner had "blood" evidence that he was using anabolic steroids. Benn denies the charge vehemently, saying that while he was addicted to "recreational" drugs throughout his career it was "not him" to use the performance enhancing variety, and that when he collapsed on the way back from the ring to his dressing room it was out of exhaustion and not any plan to avoid a post-fight drugs test.

Later, when the plight of his opponent had become clear, he said that he was sorry but, "Better him than me".

It was a sentiment that might, you have to suspect, have slipped as easily from the lips of McClellan had the roles been reversed. Not the least affecting scenes from the film depict the relationship between the stricken fighter and his sister, especially in one when they discuss the roles of the carer and the dependent and she jokes that he might pay her $100. He asks, "What do you want me to do, rob a bank?" They both laugh at the impracticality of the plan.

However, there is no disguising the hard edge of McClellan's nature in pre-fight footage. An interviewer asks him about his status as the world's second best pound-for-pound fighter. McClellan's eyes narrow and he asks: "Who do they say is the first?" It is not so much a question as a bitter reproach.

McClellan trained pit bulls for fighting. He said the breed reminded him of himself. Johnson reports he once asked the fighter why he served up a labrador to his pit bull and says that McClellan responded: "A pit bull is like a fighter. Every so often it needs to taste blood."

The awful trajectory of the fight is perfectly recaptured and the most telling moments are when McClellan, who was comfortably ahead on every scorecard, first began to display distress and confusion, about which Johnson insists there was absolutely no evidence to justify any decision to throw in the towel.

The list of witnesses is long. Among the more eloquent is former world featherweight champion Barry McGuigan, who does not attempt to diminish the horrific consequences of the fight but also makes the point that boxing has saved hundreds of thousands of lives by rescuing young people from the most dangerous streets. It is the classic defence but not so easy to proclaim when the questioning gets a little more specific.

McGuigan suggests that McClellan's corner should have identified a growing problem but then he is asked: "Should the referee have picked up on it?" McGuigan frowns and says: "It's a good question."

But then so many questions littered that night in London's Docklands. You had to wonder if you would ever forget, and would ever be entitled to forget, those terrible scenes in the corner of the ring where McClellan first rested against the post, then slipped down onto the canvas and, finally, was laid out flat. There was the ultimate fear that you were watching a life ebb away and if that was averted by the skill of a young surgeon we would know soon enough that some things could not be retrieved.

It made you think of all the great fights you had seen and how much accumulated damage had come along the way. You thought of the condition of Muhammad Ali, so exacerbated by the gratuitous punishment he took before the end, and not least on a night in Las Vegas when his former sparring partner Larry Holmes was obliged to pound on him for seven rounds before the great old cornerman Angelo Dundee called the surrender.

You remembered the night Sugar Ray Leonard's wife Juanita screamed, "No more baby, no more," when her husband fought Tommy "The Hitman" Hearns to a standstill in one of the greatest contests ever – or when Marvin Hagler and Hearns, again, produced extraordinarily violent action over three rounds.

Benn-McClellan, though a merciless contest, has to be remembered for other reasons. In unremitting detail, it is about to be presented to us again, in all the rawness of the fighters' aspirations and the brutality of the fate of one of them. Also, the inherent danger accompanying any fighter who ever steps into the ring.

Frank Bruno was another witness and he speaks of his absolute absorption in the battle. It is pointed out to him that he sat, when he wasn't jumping up and down, dressed in a red suit, in the company of the promoter Don King, who was quite possibly contemplating the prospects of a rematch. Bruno says that the fight was so compelling he wouldn't have noticed if Mickey Mouse or Batman had occupied a neighbouring seat.

Certainly it was absorbing. What else it was, what else boxing will always be, has rarely been so graphically portrayed. The Fight of Their Lives is illuminating in the darkest possible way.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/boxing-pain-still-fresh-of-night-that-cannot-be-forgotten-6271420.html

frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #52: Dec 03, 2011 08:46:11 pm
      This is a much watch programme if your a boxing fan, cant wait for it !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #53: Dec 03, 2011 08:50:07 pm
      If you're a boxing fan Steve it isn't really what you want to see, it was the last thing Nigel Benn wanted to witness.
      Didn't realise it was that long ago - 16 years is a long time not least of all for the lad who was injured. Often wonder how  he's geeting on had heard that he was improving but that was some years ago.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2011 09:00:59 pm by stuey »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #54: Dec 03, 2011 09:09:47 pm
      If you're a boxing fan Steve it isn't really what you want to see, it was the last thing Nigel Benn wanted to witness.
      Didn't realise it was that long ago - 16 years is a long time not least of all for the lad who was injured. Often wonder how  he's geeting on had heard that he was improving but that was some years ago.
      I think it serves as a reminder that all the money thats thrown around these days in the sport only masks the fact that its a dangerous sport and your life is on the line everytime you step into the ring and no matter how much you get paid what happened to McClellan was a tragic accident and just one punch can make one mans life and (almost) end another !

I read your post before you edited it and thought that you thought you were in the song thread with the Telly Savalas song 'IF' !
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #55: Dec 03, 2011 09:28:00 pm

I read your post before you edited it and thought that you thought you were in the song thread with the Telly Savalas song 'IF' !
      Pressed  'post' by mistake mate.
      Hear what you're saying about the fight game and injuries of that nature are rare, there have been incidents of injuries in the ring but a pre existing condition is usually to blame.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #56: Dec 03, 2011 09:40:03 pm
      Agree about injuries being rare Stuey but maybe a compulsary CT scan would be better before the title fights ?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #57: Dec 03, 2011 10:27:18 pm
      I understand there are more stringent safety procedures to be followed now Steve although by the very nature of the sport unfortunately there will be injuries but hopefully not on the scale of MaClennan's tragic misfortune.
      « Last Edit: Dec 03, 2011 11:03:25 pm by stuey »
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #58: Dec 03, 2011 10:51:27 pm
      I do think as you say it really was a tragic misfortune and don't think Ben could be blamed in anyway like it appears to be by McClennans sister.
      They both agreed to the fight and both were unaware of McClennan's condition.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #59: Dec 14, 2011 06:27:07 pm
      Anyone else watching American Horror Story?

I have to admit, I had trouble with the first couple of episodes, as they are very strange, but after persisting with it, we discover a lot more about the characters and everything starts to make a certain kind of sense.

No spoilers, but if you don't know it, it's about a couple and their daughter who move into a new house, trying to make a fresh start after the husband cheated on his wife. Except the house is haunted, by more than one ghost!

I'm hooked now, and the images and ambience are really excellent! Plenty of scares and unexpected, I recommend it, but like I said earlier, you need to persist with it if you struggle early on.
      higgy_sham
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,264 posts | 796 
      Reply #60: Dec 14, 2011 06:56:02 pm
      Anyone else watching American Horror Story?

I have to admit, I had trouble with the first couple of episodes, as they are very strange, but after persisting with it, we discover a lot more about the characters and everything starts to make a certain kind of sense.

No spoilers, but if you don't know it, it's about a couple and their daughter who move into a new house, trying to make a fresh start after the husband cheated on his wife. Except the house is haunted, by more than one ghost!

I'm hooked now, and the images and ambience are really excellent! Plenty of scares and unexpected, I recommend it, but like I said earlier, you need to persist with it if you struggle early on.

Not yet mate. The brother has been at me for a while to watch it.

Must get it sorted soon.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #61: Dec 14, 2011 07:36:18 pm
      Quote from YANK_LFC_FAN

I've been watching that as well, mate. Hats off to Warwick for having the humility to play the role, I think it's hilarious.
      Check out this trailer if you haven't seen it. I've watched this several times and end up laughing each time I watch it :

Ricky And Warwick The Frog - Life's Too Short - BBC Two

Anybody else been watching This Is England 88? I get home too late so will catch up on 4OD, just wondered if it was as good as 86.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #62: Dec 14, 2011 08:23:22 pm
      I've been watching that as well, mate. Hats off to Warwick for having the humility to play the role, I think it's hilarious.
      Check out this trailer if you haven't seen it. I've watched this several times and end up laughing each time I watch it :

Ricky And Warwick The Frog - Life's Too Short - BBC Two

Anybody else been watching This Is England 88? I get home too late so will catch up on 4OD, just wondered if it was as good as 86.

Really enjoying Life's Too Short as well. The part (episode two I believe) where he was giving a speech at a wedding was just brilliant. Ricky Gervais upsetting Johnny Depp was top quality as well but I think this was probably amongst the funniest things I've seen! Liam Neeson is so great! Will watch the final episode of Frozen Planet as well later since I've finished my coursework for the semester!

Liam Neeson improv with Ricky Gervais, Stephen Merchant and Warwick Davis on Life's Too Short
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #63: Dec 14, 2011 09:42:45 pm
      That was hilarious! Liam Neeson is the man.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #64: Dec 16, 2011 07:02:16 pm
      Earlier today I bought the complete series of Prison Break, plus the movie. 23 DVDs in total, just R$ 100 (around £34.63). Gave myself a little Christmas present
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #65: Dec 16, 2011 07:09:19 pm
      Last night's Life's Too Short was very good again. Loved the scene where he throws out the brand new washing machine.

I think his assistant is the funniest in the show.

This Is England 88 looked good after the first episode but I have missed the rest so far.

I persevered with The Walking Dead and enjoyed the mid season finale but the show really needs to develop more pace in the new year. Much too slow and monotonous this season.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #66: Dec 20, 2011 12:41:43 pm
      Earlier today I bought the complete series of Prison Break, plus the movie. 23 DVDs in total, just R$ 100 (around £34.63). Gave myself a little Christmas present

I'm re-watching the 1st series in the last few days, and man, that was an amazing series. Absolutely loved it.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #67: Jan 18, 2012 04:00:51 pm
      Anyone else watching New Girl?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #68: Jan 18, 2012 09:16:02 pm
      Has anyone been watching the latest series of Fringe? And any idea when it's coming back on?

Quick Reply