Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

The TV Series Discussion Thread

Read 314409 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: The TV Series Discussion Thread
      Reply #1219: Apr 24, 2015 05:04:37 pm
      Daredevil has indeed been renewed for a second season to air next year. Hopefully Netflix looks into other comic adaptations, with DD's success, like Punisher.

Wow, so soon!! excited :D Punisher would be great, also, Morbius, Blade or Moon Knight would be insane if done correctly!
      Bier
      Reply #1220: Apr 25, 2015 04:09:59 pm
      There's 4 other Marvel superhero series coming up on Netflix. A.K.A. Jessica Jones, is supposed to be released sometime this year. Luke Cage, released in 2016. Iron Fist sometime after that. And then a The Defenders cross over mini series.

Netflix is really putting out alot of new interesting content. Sense8 is released in June, a sci fi series by the Wachowskis. And Narcos, also released sometime this year, a series about Pablo Escobar.

Though I'm also excited about HBO's Westworld, which should air sometime this year too. A western sci fi series, with Nolan as producer and JJ Abrams directing the pilot. Actors like Anthony Hopkins, Evan Rachel Wood, Ed Harris.

It really is a very good time for series.
      « Last Edit: Apr 25, 2015 04:34:12 pm by Bier »
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1221: Apr 25, 2015 06:47:29 pm
      I finished the opening season of Better Call Saul last night and I really enjoyed it. For me, it gets better as it progresses and the good news is that there is more to come next year, although that seems so far away at this time.

There would have been considerable pressure on the creators to get this right, following the massive success of Breaking Bad. In my opinion, they have delivered.

If you watch the first couple of episodes and you aren't too impressed then stick with it because the storylines expand and the characters develop, particularly and obviously the lead character who is played flawlessly once again.

I'd heard of this coming out but didn't hear when and what channel I could watch it on.

What channel was it on mate?

I know this is a bit left field considering the great shows actually running at the moment (including Better Call Saul and of course GOT), but anyone ever watch The Shield?

I've just finished season 5 and my god it's fantastic. Just when I thought it couldn't get any better Forrest Whittaker turns up as a main character in season 5 and is absolutely fantastic.

As for GOT, watched the first episode last night and enjoyed it. Interesting to see how far they are deviating from the books with some characters though, and there's quite a few who have been (thus far) completely left out. Either way was a good episode and I've heard the next 3 are exciting too, though I'm gonna hold out for better quality viewing rather than watching the leaks.

Regarding The Shield, I have had the full box set upstairs for 16 months and still not watched any of it. Hopefully you've gave me that kick up the arse to watch it.

Regarding Game of Thrones, well I'm not used to all of this having to wait a week malarkey as I only started watching the programme a few months ago so I've had lots of it to watch since I got into it. Because if that I've been naughty and started to nip ahead and watch the leaks and to be fair, they are good quality.

Aria's story is compelling and you get the feeling that all of the stories are going to come together spectacularly this series.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1222: Apr 25, 2015 07:41:36 pm
      Been reading the first few issues of Alias, a Jessica Jones comic, and she is a really mysterious character with what seems to be a deep super hero past life.

I'd recommend anyone watch Wet Hot American Summer if you haven't already. They are releasing a prequel series on Netflix this summer, which will include the original cast and some new additions such at John Hamm and Chris Pine. Here's a teaser with the awesome cast list:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j12pk-IE3D0#ws
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1223: Apr 26, 2015 12:23:45 am
      I'd heard of this coming out but didn't hear when and what channel I could watch it on.

What channel was it on mate?

I have no idea if any of our channels are planning on showing it. Google isn't showing anything.

I watched it on Netflix.  ;)
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #1224: Apr 26, 2015 08:27:32 am
      I have no idea if any of our channels are planning on showing it. Google isn't showing anything.

I watched it on Netflix.  ;)

Ah Netflix. Cheers, going to have to bite the bullet and that to the monthly Sky and BT bills.

Pfft
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1225: Apr 26, 2015 11:20:01 am
      It's worth it IMO. I pay a quid extra for HD and two devices, although I only use my laptop.

I hardly watched any TV for years and so I'm playing catch-up. I've seen Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, most of Prison Break and now I'm watching Homeland and and thinking of starting on House of Cards and Spooks, which has recently been added.

So in conclusion, Netflix is great and I recommend it.  ;)

PS. I don't know if you aware but Netflix do a month's no obligation free trial. You can cancel what will be your subscription at any time and still get the full term of the free trial offer. It's really straightforward with no catches.
      « Last Edit: Apr 26, 2015 02:31:29 pm by HeighwayToHeaven »
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1226: Apr 28, 2015 10:53:52 pm
      The Following... Most recent episode - dear god. I love this show, really keeps you on edge.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #1227: Apr 29, 2015 08:57:59 am
      The Following... Most recent episode - dear god. I love this show, really keeps you on edge.

If anything it's got better this series.

That new killer is brilliant
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1228: Apr 29, 2015 06:14:50 pm
      If anything it's got better this series.

That new killer is brilliant

Totally agree, really like this series.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1229: May 08, 2015 01:39:21 pm
      Has anyone here watched Ripper Street? Just finished Series 1 and loving it so far. It has most of the elements of a traditional police tv show, but with the difference that it is set in the late 19th century, which gives it a whole different vibe and perspective.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #1230: May 08, 2015 09:25:46 pm
      I echo what Rodd has said - The Shield is brilliant. For some reason I never watched the final 2 seasons, I had to stop watching can't remember why (I think my PC where all the episodes were crashed or something) but really want to do so in the future. The only reason I haven't done that yet is because I'm lazy and I have a lot of catching up to do, remembering all the stuff that happened :D

Seriously Diego you have to, very powerful ending in many different ways.

Echo's what Rodd says too amongst the usual shouts of Sopranos and The Wire, The Shield can easily sit alongside these two as one of best tv series ever.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,176 posts | 8549 
      Reply #1231: May 08, 2015 09:31:50 pm
      Couple of quick shouts of stuff I've watched recently - Still watching Banshee and watched the full three series so far and actually really enjoy it, it does get a bit silly at times, but you can't take everything seriously. Watched the final series of Justified, again another Tv series I think is very underrated.

And watched the third series of Lilyhammer, still funny as F**k and plenty of murders going on - plus the special bonus of Paulie from the sopranos and Bruce Springsteen in the final episode of third series  ;)
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #1232: May 08, 2015 11:13:15 pm
      Couple of quick shouts of stuff I've watched recently - Still watching Banshee and watched the full three series so far and actually really enjoy it, it does get a bit silly at times, but you can't take everything seriously. Watched the final series of Justified, again another Tv series I think is very underrated.

And watched the third series of Lilyhammer, still funny as F**k and plenty of murders going on - plus the special bonus of Paulie from the sopranos and Bruce Springsteen in the final episode of third series  ;)

Damn it!

I love Lillyhammer and remember chatting to you about it briefly when Season one was on HR.

Have a free Netflix offer at the moment to you've reminded me to get that started and get back into the show.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1233: May 09, 2015 01:58:40 pm
      Finished Firefly.
      Disappointed they only made 1 series because I really enjoyed it.
      The film Serenity was OK, but the series was better.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1234: May 09, 2015 02:57:08 pm
      Finished Firefly.
      Disappointed they only made 1 series because I really enjoyed it.
      The film Serenity was OK, but the series was better.

Very few programs manage to flesh out characters that well, that quickly.  I still can't fathom how it was axed.  I recall the network fu**ed about with the episode order as well.  Too much time has passed for it to come back, though I'd love to see Book - The Early Years, as so many hints were dropped and his story never really told.  On a by-the-by, F**k you Joss Whedon, you don't allays have to kill characters we like.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1235: May 09, 2015 03:17:02 pm
      Very few programs manage to flesh out characters that well, that quickly.  I still can't fathom how it was axed.  I recall the network fu**ed about with the episode order as well.  Too much time has passed for it to come back, though I'd love to see Book - The Early Years, as so many hints were dropped and his story never really told.  On a by-the-by, F**k you Joss Whedon, you don't allays have to kill characters we like.

Agreed.
      It's one of the best sci-fi series I've seen, and had a great tongue in cheek quality that translated into some genuinely funny moments.
      It's a shame, but network execs do love to F**k about with things, presumably to justify their own existence.
      We saw it with Dexter, which was brilliant when made by the indie studio, and became hackneyed and boring (and stupid, and predictable) once a major network took it over.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #1236: May 10, 2015 06:59:19 pm

Damn it!

I love Lillyhammer and remember chatting to you about it briefly when Season one was on HR.

Have a free Netflix offer at the moment to you've reminded me to get that started and get back into the show.

I thought I would give Lilyhammer a go and even though I've only watched the first episode, I have to say I like it and intend to stick with it.  :gt-happyup:
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1237: May 13, 2015 05:59:32 pm
      The Walking Dead comics are so brilliantly written by Kirkman - the show just hasn't live up to that standard imo. Although, if the arcs upcoming on the show mirror their counterpart, then sh*t is about to go down. And then sh*t is about to really F***ing go down. Seriously, there's a character that makes The Governor look like a sissy bi*ch.

'Fear The Walking Dead' - a spin-off unrelated to any other TWD material will be airing late in the summer. I kinda hope it's going to be an anthology show (mainly because the cast list isn't exciting), showing various groups on how they've coped with the outbreak and ending one season with an entire group dying to further illustrating that not everyone is safe.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1238: May 13, 2015 07:03:00 pm
      Disappointed with the decision not to renew The Following next year.
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1239: May 14, 2015 12:20:04 pm
      Just 3 weeks until Hannibal returns!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4928 
      Reply #1240: May 14, 2015 12:43:48 pm
      Started Penny Dreadful last night.