Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)

Read 36167 times
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)
      Jan 17, 2012 12:03:30 am
      Liverpool opt for original Stanley Park stadium plan to replace Anfield after rejecting futuristic design
      Liverpool have decided to proceed with their original, nine-year-old stadium plans once they have secured the finance to start construction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9019171/Liverpool-opt-for-original-Stanley-Park-stadium-plan-to-replace-Anfield-after-rejecting-futuristic-design.html

That means the alternative, futuristic stadium designs proposed by former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jnr have been ditched for good.

It also ensures there will be no fresh planning application required by the current American owners to restart construction once a lucrative naming rights package is in place.

Fenway Sports Group has been working with Manchester-based architects AFL, the firm which first submitted designs when Liverpool announced their intention to move to Stanley Park as far back as 2000.

It is these proposals, which were put forward for planning permission in 2003 and given the green light a year later, which will become the blueprint for a new 60,000-seat stadium costing around £300 million.

The club must still find the finance to kick-start the scheme, and there is no immediate prospect of work beginning, but AFL’s return to preferred status is another significant twist in the seemingly never-ending saga of Liverpool’s ground move.
      Related Articles

The AFL plans were first introduced by former chief executive Rick Parry but were abandoned by Hicks and Gillett shortly after their ill-fated takeover in 2006.

Hicks scrapped the original designs in favour of those he commissioned from a Dallas-based architecture firm, HKS.

The £400 million costs of the second scheme effectively triggered the beginning of the end of the old regime, as Hicks and Gillett could not raise the funds to build it.

It also led to the first major split of the old boardroom, as the plans were seen as too expensive and impractical.

Now Hicks’ grand scheme has been permanently shelved with FSG deciding it will modernise and upgrade the first set of designs.

Since buying the club, John W Henry has worked through a variety of options to establish how to solve Liverpool’s enduring stadium problem.

Henry originally wanted to redevelop Anfield, but after a year of toil working through the planning issues, and the cost of buying nearby residential properties, it was accepted this was not feasible.

FSG has also explored whether to commission new stadium plans, but the time and cost restraint also made that a non-starter.

Liverpool have planning permission for two designs.

If the club submitted a third to Liverpool City Council, it could delay the process by another three years and there could be no guarantee they would be passed, especially given a political fervour to maintain a dialogue with Everton on the controversial issue of a groundshare.

It would be an incredibly risky strategy for FSG to start from scratch.

Liverpool still need to raise around £150 million in sponsorship — around half the costs – before they can start building any arena, but having decided which course to take there will be fewer obstacles in their way if a naming rights package can be secured in the near future.

That in itself remains a difficulty given economic conditions.

The single, desirable legacy of the Hicks and Gillett era was the fact they actually began preparatory work on Stanley Park prior to having to bring it to a halt when they failed to secure investment.

That means technically, and legally, construction of a stadium is considered to have already started by the council.

This has enabled the new owners to avoid missing out on any deadlines to complete a project.

Liverpool City Council is also eager for the club to make progress as soon as possible, so have not issued time constraints.

Some Liverpool fans may be worried that plans nearly 10 years old, which were publicly criticised by Hicks as being ‘out of date’ five years ago, are being given a facelift.

However, Liverpool believe Hicks’s criticism was always unwarranted and the AFL plans — inspired in part by the Millennium Stadium in Wales — were also impressive.

Although the club are limited in terms of altering how the arena will look, its size and the space it will fill from the accepted designs, there is still plenty of capacity to upgrade the interiors to modern standards.

Any suggestion the nine-year-old architects’ plan is out of date will be dismissed by the owners, who recognise AFL’s vast portfolio in stadium design.

The firm is responsible for recent upgrades at Old Trafford and the Nou Camp, and built the Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Everton training complexes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Re: Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)
      Reply #1: Jan 17, 2012 01:08:37 am
      The F***ing Parrydome.

The Emirates of the north in association with Rick Parry. Great idea that. Spend £300m on a stadium that could have been built for a quarter of that ten years ago.

Let's hope Bascombe's full of sh*t.

And if I remember rightly the orginal plan was for 60,000 and it couldn't be expanded.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #2: Jan 17, 2012 01:15:42 am
      Very disappointed that they have chosen to go for the old "Parry bowl" design. No later expansion if required, similar to so many other stadia and looks outdated before construction even starts.

Still better than nothing I suppose :)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,146 posts | 8540 
      Reply #3: Jan 17, 2012 01:21:07 am
      Very disappointed that they have chosen to go for the old "Parry bowl" design. No later expansion if required, similar to so many other stadia and looks outdated before construction even starts.

Still better than nothing I suppose :)

Reading Bascombe's piece, he's claiming there will be some sort of modernising of the plans, the only thing I can think of is one of the stands being one tiered (a kop of sorts) compared to the others which will be two-tiered, but just imo!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #4: Jan 17, 2012 01:29:08 am
      Reading Bascombe's piece, he's claiming there will be some sort of modernising of the plans, the only thing I can think of is one of the stands being one tiered (a kop of sorts) compared to the others which will be two-tiered, but just imo!

The way I read it was a simple updating of facilities rather than any change in fundamental design mate. Hope you are right though!
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #5: Jan 17, 2012 01:40:09 am
      there doesnt seem to be any quotes from anyone from LFC in that artical so it could be just some guess work rather then fact. i no its a more respected paper but its still there to sell papers and make money. whats the chances of it being true?
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #6: Jan 17, 2012 01:51:14 am
      I'l be gutted if this is true.It will easily be the worst decision FSG have made.Those other designs were amazing i'm sure there much more expensive but at least they looked different than all the new stadium's.A very lazy choice if this is true.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #7: Jan 17, 2012 03:54:58 am
      I'm sure that the original afl designs where revised before the hks designs where opted for originally. I think the design of the roof was altered majorly along with an increased capacity which was originally 60k. I'll try and find a pic to upload of it.
      anfieldroad
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 582 posts | 18 
      Reply #8: Jan 17, 2012 03:59:12 am
      These are the plans I was on about in my previous post, personally I like it compared to the original design.

http://aflarch.demonweb.co.uk/projects.php?action=showProject&catID=43&projectID=227
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #9: Jan 17, 2012 08:39:13 am
      These are the plans I was on about in my previous post, personally I like it compared to the original design.

http://aflarch.demonweb.co.uk/projects.php?action=showProject&catID=43&projectID=227

Now that one I could go for, I remember quite liking that design the first time around. It's got far more character than the first 'Parry Bowl' design and The Kop looks far more intimidating.
      Not sure the huge tv screens are necessary but I like the 'insect' look of the stadium as a whole, haha.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #10: Jan 17, 2012 08:45:51 am
      I genuinely like the new designs.. now get "The Warrior Stadium" Built
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #11: Jan 17, 2012 09:37:35 am
      I hope this isn't true, really don't like the bowl stadium. It will look like every other new stadium getting built everywhere. If you think the atmosphere is bad in Anfield now, wait Until we move into a bowl stadium with no character!! At least the Hicks and Gillett stadium was built for atmosphere with steep stands and a bowl roof over the Kop to echo the sound around the ground.

Gutted if this is the case.

Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #12: Jan 17, 2012 09:38:29 am
      Welcome to the Parry Dome - shocking... However I dont mind the 72,000 seater plans that are above! That looks ok - not the wavey roofed f**ker...

I cant see NESV building something that cannot be expanded - I hope they will change these a bit to make it look nice! Shouldnt there be an official announcement tomorrow - I am sure I heard the 18th of Jan being banded around... Any ideas people?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #13: Jan 17, 2012 09:45:26 am
      New Generation Anfield
      Anfield, Liverpool

Client - Liverpool FC

Completed - Concept

Value - £290m

AFL revised proposals for new stadium was presented to Liverpool Football Club early January 2008, for which the capacity is 72,000 with 18,500 seated in the new single tier kop.

Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #14: Jan 17, 2012 10:01:46 am
      I can really see FSG going for this. We all know and love Anfield and The Kop is famous around the world but I bet if you took a few photos of Anfield, minus any LFC branding, there would be an awful lot of people who couldn't tell you who played there.
      If we are going to build a new stadium (as I've believed we would for a long time now) then this is ideal as it looks unique and would be instantly identifiable as the new Anfield.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #15: Jan 17, 2012 11:02:15 am
      F***ing gutted if this is true!

I've never wanted to leave and according to the echo's report we will have to pay 300m to increase the capacity initially by 15,000!!!!!

I've been to loads of these modern stadiums and they are flash soulless places, hate the "fan villages" , big screens inside and all that sh*t!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,608 posts | 6930 
      Reply #16: Jan 17, 2012 12:09:59 pm
      Original AFL proposals

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #17: Jan 17, 2012 12:47:30 pm
      New Generation Anfield
      Anfield, Liverpool

Client - Liverpool FC

Completed - Concept

Value - £290m

AFL revised proposals for new stadium was presented to Liverpool Football Club early January 2008, for which the capacity is 72,000 with 18,500 seated in the new single tier kop.

This one is beautiful and should be used. But it's not surprising that I like it as a Dallas Cowboys fan, it's a clone of Cowboys Stadium. Too bad as the other design isn't that attractive in my opinion.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      Reply #18: Jan 17, 2012 12:53:36 pm
      Agreed, the one in JDs post is crap. Much prefer the one with the two arches!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,597 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #19: Jan 17, 2012 12:57:02 pm
      Agreed, the one in JDs post is crap. Much prefer the one with the two arches!

I'd go with that. Much prefer the revised version.
      £80 Million 2001.
      £300 Million 2011.
      F**k you Parry you shortsighted b***ard.
      Be it players or the stadium you're penny pinching has put us back years.
      kb2x
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,841 posts | 215 
      • #WeComeNotToPlay
      Reply #20: Jan 17, 2012 01:01:22 pm
      The designs are nice....

I like them
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #21: Jan 17, 2012 01:01:32 pm
      I will say this...if cost is an issue I bet that's part of the reason for going with the Parry design. The new Cowboys Stadium cost 1.5 billion US. Don't know what the cost of that second design is but I bet it's considerably more than 300m?
      Sir Suarez
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 783 posts | 59 
      Reply #22: Jan 17, 2012 01:25:55 pm
      Shouldn't the title say jan 2012 or is this story a year old?

with regards to the stadium, its not the 15k extra seats thats the main money maker. I read somewhere that we lose millions of pounds every year from corperate when compared to other teams/stadiums.

i dont have the figures but maybe someone here will.

Quick Reply