Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)

Read 36145 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Re: Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)
      Reply #115: Mar 02, 2012 05:17:59 pm
      In the U.S. privately funded new stadium construction is very rare. In the NFL, Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, Sun Life Stadium (formerly Joe Robbie Stadium) in Miami, Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX. The new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY... Billionaire owners who convince and juice local and state government politicians and agencies to work collectively (shake down the public coffers) to get a palace built. I don't profess to know how the Liverpool City Counsel works nor do I know which construction firms are to be considered. What I do believe however is the Fenway Group doesn't appear to have the deep pockets necessary to pull off the entire effort.
      They are spread out on baseball, NASCAR, and John Henry's core business commodities trading is highly speculative and volatile. Get used to a refurb of Anfield and be grateful for that!

This is just your point of view, isn't it? No actual facts, or ITK quotes.

I'll just wait and see what FSG say.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #116: Mar 02, 2012 05:35:16 pm
      I'll just wait and see what FSG say.

Me too!

Hope the Ref makes the right call for a change though  ;)
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #117: Mar 02, 2012 05:43:36 pm
      I hope they say something soon because every month goes buy we lose more ground on Arsenal and Utd in terms of match day revenue. In an ideal world we would have had the stadium built or at least started for the impending financial fair play rules.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #118: Mar 02, 2012 05:51:46 pm
      In the U.S. privately funded new stadium construction is very rare. In the NFL, Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, MA, Sun Life Stadium (formerly Joe Robbie Stadium) in Miami, Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, TX. The new Yankee Stadium in the Bronx, NY... Billionaire owners who convince and juice local and state government politicians and agencies to work collectively (shake down the public coffers) to get a palace built. I don't profess to know how the Liverpool City Counsel works nor do I know which construction firms are to be considered. What I do believe however is the Fenway Group doesn't appear to have the deep pockets necessary to pull off the entire effort.
      They are spread out on baseball, NASCAR, and John Henry's core business commodities trading is highly speculative and volatile. Get used to a refurb of Anfield and be grateful for that!
      Nothing new then?
      Only a fool would contemplate a situation where the Fenway group undertake a project of that nature single handedly, it will be a joint enterprise and partners in said enterprise are being actively persued.
      Major new sponsors are on board and without doubt more financial backing will be forthcoming, you're pessimistic financial breakdown of John Henry's financial status is a world away from the acknowledged image of a successful entrepeneur that the rest of the world has of him. 
      LFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,715 posts | 36 
      • In JK I trust! YNWA
      Reply #119: Mar 02, 2012 06:06:20 pm
      Any real updates on this story?

Some designs, that I have seen, look nice but it's only rumors at this stage I suppose
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #120: Mar 02, 2012 06:32:31 pm

Some designs, that I have seen, look nice but it's only rumors at this stage I suppose
      It's all still up in the air mate so the other fella's suggestion of  a hypothetical refurb and his reference to being happy with what you get is complete and utter bollox.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #121: Mar 02, 2012 06:38:44 pm
      It's all still up in the air mate so the other fella's suggestion of  a hypothetical refurb and his reference to being happy with what you get is complete and utter bollox.

Is right... We could all say something with no foundation and pass it across as fact.

???
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #122: Mar 02, 2012 06:43:28 pm

No, and I would be very surprised if anything truthful was published prior to the seasons end.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #123: Mar 03, 2012 02:10:59 am
      No, and I would be very surprised if anything truthful was published prior to the seasons end.
      Correct.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #124: Mar 03, 2012 03:57:08 am

Fixed that. ;)
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #125: Mar 03, 2012 06:57:09 pm
      72k. We need that capacity.

Parry The Briefcase.

Still feeding off Hicks and Gilletts little £sweeteners?
      sniperwolf4b3ll3ami3
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 541 posts |
      • mad about liverpool
      Reply #126: Mar 04, 2012 11:03:18 pm
      72k. We need that capacity.

Parry The Briefcase.

Still feeding off Hicks and Gilletts little £sweeteners?

77k just so it is bigger than OT
      LouisPeters
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #127: Aug 02, 2013 07:52:42 am
      Liverpool opt for original Stanley Park stadium plan to replace Anfield after rejecting futuristic design
      Liverpool have decided to proceed with their original, nine-year-old stadium plans once they have secured the finance to start construction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9019171/Liverpool-opt-for-original-Stanley-Park-stadium-plan-to-replace-Anfield-after-rejecting-futuristic-design.html

That means the alternative, futuristic stadium designs proposed by former owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jnr have been ditched for good.

It also ensures there will be no fresh planning application required by the current American owners to restart construction once a lucrative naming rights package is in place.

Fenway Sports Group has been working with Manchester-based architects AFL, the firm which first submitted designs when Liverpool announced their intention to move to Stanley Park as far back as 2000.

It is these proposals, which were put forward for planning permission in 2003 and given the green light a year later, which will become the blueprint for a new 60,000-seat stadium costing around £300 million.

The club must still find the finance to kick-start the scheme, and there is no immediate prospect of work beginning, but AFL’s return to preferred status is another significant twist in the seemingly never-ending saga of Liverpool’s ground move.
      Related Articles

The AFL plans were first introduced by former chief executive Rick Parry but were abandoned by Hicks and Gillett shortly after their ill-fated takeover in 2006.

Hicks scrapped the original designs in favour of those he commissioned from a Dallas-based architecture firm, HKS.

The £400 million costs of the second scheme effectively triggered the beginning of the end of the old regime, as Hicks and Gillett could not raise the funds to build it.

It also led to the first major split of the old boardroom, as the plans were seen as too expensive and impractical.

Now Hicks’ grand scheme has been permanently shelved with FSG deciding it will modernise and upgrade the first set of designs.

Since buying the club, John W Henry has worked through a variety of options to establish how to solve Liverpool’s enduring stadium problem.

Henry originally wanted to redevelop Anfield, but after a year of toil working through the planning issues, and the cost of buying nearby residential properties, it was accepted this was not feasible.

FSG has also explored whether to commission new stadium plans, but the time and cost restraint also made that a non-starter.

Liverpool have planning permission for two designs.

If the club submitted a third to Liverpool City Council, it could delay the process by another three years and there could be no guarantee they would be passed, especially given a political fervour to maintain a dialogue with Everton on the controversial issue of a groundshare.

It would be an incredibly risky strategy for FSG to start from scratch.

Liverpool still need to raise around £150 million in sponsorship — around half the costs – before they can start building any arena, but having decided which course to take there will be fewer obstacles in their way if a naming rights package can be secured in the near future.

That in itself remains a difficulty given economic conditions.

The single, desirable legacy of the Hicks and Gillett era was the fact they actually began preparatory work on Stanley Park prior to having to bring it to a halt when they failed to secure investment.

That means technically, and legally, construction of a stadium is considered to have already started by the council.

This has enabled the new owners to avoid missing out on any deadlines to complete a project.

Liverpool City Council is also eager for the club to make progress as soon as possible, so have not issued time constraints.

Some Liverpool fans may be worried that plans nearly 10 years old, which were publicly criticised by Hicks as being ‘out of date’ five years ago, are being given a facelift.

However, Liverpool believe Hicks’s criticism was always unwarranted and the AFL plans — inspired in part by the Millennium Stadium in Wales — were also impressive.

Although the club are limited in terms of altering how the arena will look, its size and the space it will fill from the accepted designs, there is still plenty of capacity to upgrade the interiors to modern standards.

Any suggestion the nine-year-old architects’ plan is out of date will be dismissed by the owners, who recognise AFL’s vast portfolio in stadium design.

The firm is responsible for recent upgrades at Old Trafford and the Nou Camp, and built the Liverpool, Manchester United, Chelsea and Everton training complexes.

it is awesome ground.. I am fortunate to watch live match on this ground and atmosphere is just amazing
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #128: Aug 22, 2013 05:37:47 pm
      Stadium planning permission was due in spring, re-scheduled for the beginning of the season and obviously missed.
      No updates from FSG.
      F**k all from FSG in fact.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #129: Aug 22, 2013 07:19:59 pm
      Stadium planning permission was due in spring, re-scheduled for the beginning of the season and obviously missed.
      No updates from FSG.
      F**k all from FSG in fact.

You should send them your mobile number and tell them you want updates every 5 minutes.
       :roll:
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #130: Aug 22, 2013 08:57:46 pm
      You should send them your mobile number and tell them you want updates every 3 years:roll:
      fixed that for yeah
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #131: Aug 22, 2013 10:41:55 pm
      You should send them your mobile number and tell them you want updates every 5 minutes.
       :roll:

What good are updates that aren't up to date?
      What good are updates that aren't open to scrutiny?
      What good are updates that affect nothing?

I get enough F***ing rubbish on my land line why would I want more on the mobile?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #132: Aug 23, 2013 12:04:49 pm
      What good are updates that aren't up to date?
      What good are updates that aren't open to scrutiny?
      What good are updates that affect nothing?

I get enough F***ing rubbish on my land line why would I want more on the mobile?

I really shouldn't be yanking your chain when it comes to such a serious subject, so apologies for that.

Look, we all know the problems with any stadium expansion, and that it was never going to happen overnight, with one of the biggest hurdles being the properties around Anfield that still need to be bought.
      I'm not sure we can expect them to sort out over a decades worth of mess too quickly, but if we haven't spent significantly on the team I certainly expect some progress on the stadium
      staffletop
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 679 posts | 29 
      Reply #133: Aug 24, 2013 10:53:31 am
      but if we haven't spent significantly on the team I certainly expect some progress on the stadium

I have seen you say this before, and it could indeed be why the owners haven't spent in the transfer market, which is good, if its true.

I for one would be happier if the owners gave us some indication that this is whats happening to the money, and it may appease some of the supporters concerns about where the money is going. I don't want constant updates, but right now the supporters are restless, reassurance that the stadium expansion is on its way may help calm us all down a bit.

Although I expect your response to be, it wont reassure a lot of them (with their alleged agendas), but for the majority I think it would.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #134: Aug 24, 2013 11:09:19 am
      I really shouldn't be yanking your chain when it comes to such a serious subject, so apologies for that.

Look, we all know the problems with any stadium expansion, and that it was never going to happen overnight, with one of the biggest hurdles being the properties around Anfield that still need to be bought.
      I'm not sure we can expect them to sort out over a decades worth of mess too quickly, but if we haven't spent significantly on the team I certainly expect some progress on the stadium

Why do you expect progress of any description from owners who state they will not provide the means to attain that state of affairs?
      Why do you expect anything as the remaining grains of sand trickle through the hour glass of opportunity?
      You finally appear to be facing reallity and coming to terms with the prospect of FSG doing nothing tangible to affect the club's demeanour, better late than never as they say.

Of course I refer to the transfer window as time trickles away so it must be assumed that you hold out on the longer hypothethetical time-scale of the stadium conundrum to preserve an iota of credibility for JWH & Co.
      That particular conundrum however does not withstand scrutiny, it can be dismissed as readilly as their record in the transfer window.
      « Last Edit: Aug 24, 2013 11:21:29 am by stuey »
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #135: Aug 26, 2013 11:01:21 pm
      Due to be completed in 2028 by all accounts.

Seriously....the next time the stadium plans will be brought up will be the day our 'next saviours' take over the reigns.

This shower have got about as much interest of sorting the stadium as they have in investing in the team. F*ck all!!

More chance of us buying a flat packed stadium from fu*king ikea !!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #136: Aug 26, 2013 11:01:56 pm
      This shower have got about as much interest of sorting the stadium as they have in investing in the team. F*ck all!!

It appears so.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #137: Aug 27, 2013 01:49:10 pm

You finally appear to be facing reallity and coming to terms with the prospect of FSG doing nothing tangible to affect the club's demeanour, better late than never as they say.

I've always faced reality.

Just because I don't carry or subscribe to the level of hatred that you do, simply because they sacked KK, it doesn't make my overall view any less valid.
      In fact, if you'd ever bothered to see past your myopic and borderline pathological hatred for FSG (simply because they sacked KK), you'd see this has been pretty much my position from day one.

Apart from that, what the F**k is the clubs "demeanour" supposed to mean?
      You remind me of this guy:
      Family Guy - Floyd Boxing Commentary - 9x05

Lots of out of context bullshit in an attempt to sound intelligent.
      You're not, you're just stoned again.

Quick Reply