Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)

Read 36135 times
      stephenmc9
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,822 posts | 39 
      • 'Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Live
      Re: Fenway set to build original 60,000 seater (Jan 2011 story)
      Reply #69: Jan 19, 2012 09:45:25 pm
      It was as far back as 2000 when Liverpool Football Club announced their intentions to leave Anfield in favour of building a new stadium in the middle of Stanley Park, and it's eight years since the City council first granted the planning application.

2007 was the proposed date of completion for the Reds' lavish new home, the beginning of a new era, following the move away from one of the most iconic grounds in the game's history.

Eleven years on, that catalyst for regeneration seems nothing but a distant memory, and at present couldn't be farther from reality, as Anfield continues to play host to its millionaire players and all the other trimmings that go hand-in-hand with the sport's nouveaux riches.

The cliched saying of 'one step forward, two steps back' could hardly be more fitting for a club that five years ago ripped up its initial stadium blueprints, and under the stewardship of ex-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett, a second proposal was formulated and also given the go-ahead.

However, three boardroom upheavals and three chief executives since initially expressing their desire to move home, and Liverpool now find themselves back where they were in 2004, when ex-Chairman David Moores first decided to sell the club.

The future looks considerably more rosy under the ownership of Fenway Sports Group who have provided investment in the team since buying the club back in October 2010, and having adopted the original stadium plans, construction can begin once they have secured the finance to do so.

The end result? A 60,000-seat stadium at a cost of around £300million, and funded by a lucrative naming rights package as the club looks to raise sponsorship to cover at least half of the overall outlay.

John W Henry has worked through a variety of options to establish how to solve Liverpool's enduring stadium problem since buying the club, and originally wanted to redevelop Anfield.

But after a year of tirelessly working through the planning issues, and the cost of buying the nearby derelict residential properties, it was accepted that this would not be feasible.

Fenway Sports Group has since been working with Manchester-based architects AFL - the firm which first submitted designs when Liverpool announced their intention to move to Stanley Park.

The AFL plans were first introduced by former chief executive Rick Parry, but were later abandoned by Hicks and Gillett shortly after their ill-fated takeover in 2006.

FSG were left a shambolic inheritance by their predecessors, and if they underestimated the scale of the problem when they bought the club they are still coming to terms with it.

The owners are eager to end the legacy of false promises, but are still unable to offer any timescale to residents or supporters as to when work can begin, and as a result have avoided making any pledges of their own since day one.

And after adopting the original, 2003 architects designs of AFL, they have at least ensured that technically, Liverpool could start building a new arena on Stanley Park tomorrow morning.

There is at least a promise, of sorts, to cling onto. Now they just need the money.

http://www.givemefootball.com/premier-league/back-to-the-future-for-liverpool-
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #70: Jan 19, 2012 11:06:12 pm
      Im trying to ask Macca on this. Hes always said that we will stay at Anfield wonder what he says.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #71: Jan 20, 2012 01:03:35 am
      Im trying to ask Macca on this. Hes always said that we will stay at Anfield wonder what he says.
      who is this macca guy
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #72: Jan 20, 2012 08:32:56 am
      http://www.liverpool-rumours.co.uk/maccaliverpoolrumours.php
      Before the news came out about the 2003 designs he has always believed we will stay at Anfield.
      Macca knows whats happening at Liverpool he is the one too tell people who is coming before any Paper.
      Sometimes i think he must be Kenny.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #73: Jan 20, 2012 02:18:50 pm
      Has anyone thought of taking to Twitter to let John Henry know what we (most of us) think of the Parry designed stadium?
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #74: Jan 20, 2012 06:20:58 pm
      Has anyone thought of taking to Twitter to let John Henry know what we (most of us) think of the Parry designed stadium?

I think he probably knows already, if he could I believe he would prefer to stay at Anfield but if its not going to work than a new stadia is the only way we are going to compete. Problem FL is that going outside of the Parry design will take years to finish. Not only do you have to draw up new plans you would have to get approval for everything again. Sewer, Parking, Security and a host of of other issues. Many of these issues would have to be taken up with individual commissions and be approved before an overall general approval could take place.

From what I read and see here the Parry plans are approved and ready to go so there would be no waiting. Maybe they could alter the cosmetics a bit without rocking the city councils approval but the infrastructure would have to remain the same.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #75: Jan 20, 2012 06:45:27 pm
      I think he probably knows already, if he could I believe he would prefer to stay at Anfield but if its not going to work than a new stadia is the only way we are going to compete. Problem FL is that going outside of the Parry design will take years to finish. Not only do you have to draw up new plans you would have to get approval for everything again. Sewer, Parking, Security and a host of of other issues. Many of these issues would have to be taken up with individual commissions and be approved before an overall general approval could take place.

From what I read and see here the Parry plans are approved and ready to go so there would be no waiting. Maybe they could alter the cosmetics a bit without rocking the city councils approval but the infrastructure would have to remain the same.

Agree Az,only cosmetic works above surface would be required and i hate to admit it but the H&G design was fantastic & should be followed through as a 2 finger salute to what them leeches lost.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #76: Jan 20, 2012 06:57:57 pm
      Parrys stadium is sh*te, Anfield isn't.

The end.
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #77: Jan 22, 2012 10:49:38 am
      I'm confused. Which one of the two stadiums shown above is looking most likely at this point in time? If it's the one from AFL's website that holds 72,000, I don't know what people are complaining about.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #78: Jan 22, 2012 12:17:26 pm
      I'm confused. Which one of the two stadiums shown above is looking most likely at this point in time? If it's the one from AFL's website that holds 72,000, I don't know what people are complaining about.

It's the 60,000 one. First Generation http://aflarch.demonweb.co.uk/projects.php?action=showProject&catID=43&projectID=169

Not the 72,000 one New Generation http://aflarch.demonweb.co.uk/projects.php?action=showProject&catID=43&projectID=227

Interestingly the First Genereation one is classed as "in progress".

Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Reply #79: Jan 22, 2012 12:18:49 pm
      That's a shame. The old one looks w*nk.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #80: Jan 23, 2012 06:59:35 am
      What a lazy, generic stadium that Parry Bowl is.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,578 posts | 6915 
      Reply #81: Jan 23, 2012 09:04:20 am
      £80 Million 2001.
      £300 Million 2011.

I still don't understand how a stadium that would have cost £80M in 2001 now costs £300M.

Simply can't be right.

Steel prices have risen but only by about 25% and I'd imagine inflation would be similar.

Not 375% inflation!  Anyone care to explain?
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #82: Jan 23, 2012 09:17:11 am
      I still don't understand how a stadium that would have cost £80M in 2001 now costs £300M.

Simply can't be right.

Steel prices have risen but only by about 25% and I'd imagine inflation would be similar.

This was the £80m plan.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #83: Jan 23, 2012 09:55:05 am

To build or not to build?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #84: Jan 23, 2012 10:06:36 am

Simply can't be right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2408222/Liverpool-homing-in-on-new-80m-stadium.html

Don't know how the cost was calculated, but looking at the prices of the likes of Wembley 300 Million
      would be good against some of the stadiums built lately.

Although if we were looking to copy stadiums I'd rather the Millennium Stadium than Wembley.
      Construction cost   Â£121 million
      Architect   Bligh Lobb Sports Architecture,
      WS Atkins
      Capacity   72,500
      LFCexiled
      Reply #85: Jan 23, 2012 02:11:23 pm
      How did h&g figure the cost to plan the new stadium was £50m?

I hope we're not in a state of 'pluck a figure' again.

Or F**k and figure.

Whatevs.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #86: Jan 23, 2012 06:36:23 pm
      60,000 isn't big enough for Liverpool. The task of the ownership etc.. is to put out a top class team that will attract a 70,000 crowd or more. You take on the challenge to fill a bigger stadium. You don't negatively say "we won't fill more than 60,000". Whatever planning work needs to be done for a 70,000 seater then get it done. Top clubs get things done.

Madrid, Barcelona, Milan and Manure would be, at this moment, considered the top 4 clubs in the world. They all have stadiums of 76,000 or more capacity. These clubs are our direct rivals. To plan a new 60,000 seater is not placing Liverpool among the elite where it belongs; it's a negative mindset which has had Liverpool struggling for 20 years. 

We can fill a 70,000 seater if we have a competitive team and realistic ticket prices. It's a bad sign in my eyes we are being negative as ever by accepting a capacity not much bigger than what we already have and much less than our biggest rival.
      Neston_Red
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 900 posts |
      Reply #87: Jan 23, 2012 09:52:53 pm
      Its a joke how far we are behind to all the other big clubs  :mad: :f_steam:
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #88: Jan 23, 2012 11:09:37 pm
      Its a joke how far we are behind to all the other big clubs  :mad: :f_steam:

That's the worst thing and something we can't hold against FSG. This should have been sorted 10-15 years ago.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #89: Jan 24, 2012 11:09:26 pm
      So..are we going to get THAT announcement tomorrow then? :f_tongueincheek:
      macca8
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,258 posts | 83 
      • If you can't love us, then fear us!
      Reply #90: Jan 25, 2012 06:27:10 am
      Not a fan of arcs especially that runs down all the way to the ground. If we are to progress and be more dominating, our stadium should look intimidating and able to increase the ambience and loudness. An open style bowl shape is no perfect shape to channel the ambience.

I like the Cowboys stadium because how it can hold the sound and increasing the ambience of the crowd. Imagine the noise 70k plus fans made inside this stadium compared to what AFL offering. An open air stadium couldn't hold enermous amount sound because it tend to let the sound wave everywhere compared to a closed square or bowl shaped stadium that tend to trap most of the sound inside the stadium and creating a whole new level of atmosphere.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,189 posts | 6346 
      Reply #91: Jan 25, 2012 06:07:04 pm

I like the Cowboys stadium because how it can hold the sound and increasing the ambience of the crowd. Imagine the noise 70k plus fans made inside this stadium compared to what AFL offering. An open air stadium couldn't hold enermous amount sound because it tend to let the sound wave everywhere compared to a closed square or bowl shaped stadium that tend to trap most of the sound inside the stadium and creating a whole new level of atmosphere.

Actually I was at Cowboys Stadium back in November for the Seahawks game and there were over 80k there, roof closed and it was quiet as church most of the time. Yet go to Seattle and watch the Seahawks play (open air stadium) and you won't be able to hear yourself think. Unfortunately Cowboys fans are some of the quietest in the league and even with the roof closed that stadium stays pretty quiet. It sounds like that is a problem that is growing at Anfield...not enough noise. Any stadium can be made loud...it's all about the supporters.

Quick Reply