Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Watching 'Highlights'

Read 4993 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Watching 'Highlights'
      Feb 19, 2012 08:52:58 am
      I've recently gotten rid of my sly sports footie subscription because the money grabbing capitalistic scumbags have priced me out of the market. Thus, I'm back to watching highlights here and there, if/when I can grab them.

The problem is, match highlights don't tell the entire story, and I always feel like I'm missing something. It's a bit like, just watching the goals of a 90 minute game.

What's your opinion on watching highlights of a game?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,233 posts | 2809 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Watching 'Highlights'
      Reply #1: Feb 19, 2012 09:00:18 am
      Fair play dumping sky.

Secondly (where are you living) there are pubs who show live games via European satellite maybe look in to that to see the full match.

As for the highlights I watched the Irish version last week and they never showed evras tackle on Luis so you dont know what your not seeing. Its a really poor second way of seeing the game.

In saying that I grew up on match of the day and loved it though I must admit its not the same now
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2: Feb 19, 2012 09:01:03 am
      Know what you mean Rush, I've been to many a match and watched the highlights back from MOTD or whatever hardly ever seem a fair reflection. I suppose they try and balance it as much as possible, how many times have we had say 20 shots at goal and the oppo has had just a few but on the highlights it looks quite even?

Aside from that, personally, I dont think you can judge players on just watching highlights or even worse youtube clips. Unfortunatley, seems like some fans do these days.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Feb 19, 2012 09:02:25 am
      With or without Sky, I watch every Liverpool game.

I don't have it either but I go to the pub or a mates or get a stream online. There are always ways.

The only highlights I watch are MOTD for the other games and then to hopefully enjoy our highlights after seeing the game.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #4: Feb 19, 2012 09:07:53 am
      i'm content with watching highlights of say porto v man city in the europa league. i know i'm missing stuff but it's not my club so i don't care and the highlights show me the goals + close chances. with liverpool, of course i can't bare the thought of just watching the highlights, i want to watch and witness for myself and see how everyone is playing. i don't trust anyone elses opinion! ;D sometimes i can't bare to watch the whole game again (like the 3-1 loss to bolton) and i watch the extended highlights on LFC TV but can't stomach much more. it's good to know what went wrong but better to look ahead and learn from what we did right.

the really good games, i watch again and download in good quality and have to keeps.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      Reply #5: Feb 19, 2012 09:30:32 am
      I may have to sell one of the kids and re-subsribe.

Seriously though, I hate sly and all the damage they've done to the average guy on the street. Clubs are pricing a lot of supporters out of their stadiums, and sly sports are pricing even more out of their subscriptions.

It'll be one man and his dog before long.
      Rimli
      • Forum Markus Babbel

• 76 posts |
      Reply #6: Feb 19, 2012 10:36:22 am
      I live in Romania and I aswell never miss a LFC game. There are TONS of ways to watch the game online,via streams of software like Sopcast,Veetle and many more. From what I hear in the UK Sky really are douchebags with their subscription plans (got friends living there) . + I bet in the UK there are tons of pubs around you who might show the game live :) cheers
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      Reply #7: Feb 19, 2012 10:46:36 am
      I just don't go to pubs. I've never really felt comfortable there, especially as I'd have to go on my own
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #8: Feb 19, 2012 10:59:45 am
      I just don't go to pubs. I've never really felt comfortable there, especially as I'd have to go on my own

Any reason?
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      Reply #9: Feb 19, 2012 11:38:23 am
      I just don't like the pub atmosphere
      Jimsouse67
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,474 posts | 1474 
      Reply #10: Feb 19, 2012 12:11:24 pm
      Got shut of shat sports some time ago,mainly for financial reasons and also got sick of listening to idiots commentating on our games,also I'm glad I got shut of it before rat boy joined the ranks of sky sports.what used to annoy me was most commentators and so called pundits think supporters are thick and need educating on the game ,and we aren't savvy enough regarding tactics and team selections.I go the match and only used sly for our away games and cup games that weren't televised on terrestrial tv but with the Internet becoming more of  a viable and cheaper option To watch games I couldn't justify sky and there over inflated subscription costs.I do still watch motd but highlights don't tell the full story a bit like the piss poor media who must be watching a different match to me when I read some of the match reports on a Sunday or Monday morning.
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #11: Feb 19, 2012 12:17:34 pm
      You're on the forum, so clearly you have the internet. Get a stream on the go, no reason to miss a game! If you're unsure how; bookmark the likes of http://www.freefootball.eu/upcoming.php or http://www.lshunter.tv/football-live-streaming-video.html . To use most of the streams you'll need Sopcast and Veetle (both available for free).

I sub to Sky, but often our games aren't shown, so am forced to use the alternatives above.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #12: Feb 19, 2012 12:22:17 pm
      Ive watched every game this season bar 1 (was working in costa rica) and ive never had a subscription. You just need Sopcast and 20gb broadband line :) i can only recall 2 games that i had a jumpy stream.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      Reply #13: Feb 19, 2012 12:41:18 pm
      So you install veetle and sopcast and you're good to go?
      smurftheburn
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 589 posts | 28 
      Reply #14: Feb 19, 2012 12:46:47 pm
      yes, once you've installed them go onto one of the websites I listed when the game is due to start, try a few (sometimes a few will be jumpy) until you get a good stream, settle in and watch. Keep an eye out for YES streams, very reliable.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,934 posts | 4992 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #15: Feb 19, 2012 01:21:00 pm
      I must admit i have experienced both of having to do with just seeing highlights and having the means to watch live matches, i agree sky sports are full of themselves and that they are indeed a rip off, but my tv is my solace, i dont watch soaps,reality sh*t or anything to do with the celebrity culture, live sport especially footie, rugby, boxing, is the dogs for me,cant afford to go anymore and certainly cant afford the pub either, so since cable is unavailable in my area and my internet access is thru a dongle, sky sports remains my only option atm,

tbh,i'd be lost without it, and most probably suicidal if i only had to listen or read about Liverpool,

f***in sad situation when 1 company is allowed to monopolise virtually the whole sporting world of tv.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16: Feb 19, 2012 01:28:03 pm
      I've recently gotten rid of my sly sports footie subscription because the money grabbing capitalistic scumbags have priced me out of the market. Thus, I'm back to watching highlights here and there, if/when I can grab them.

The problem is, match highlights don't tell the entire story, and I always feel like I'm missing something. It's a bit like, just watching the goals of a 90 minute game.

What's your opinion on watching highlights of a game?
      I get Sky 1 and 2 plus ESPN from BT Vision for about £18 a month half the price of Sky the robbing bas**rds.
      Suarez-7
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,046 posts | 12 
      Reply #17: Feb 19, 2012 01:29:36 pm
      I absolutely hate watching highlights. Especially on MOTD when the pundits know F**k all and basically just describe a specific part of the match in a pointless VT, offering no tactical insight(eg. Player A makes a run, and then its a great finish by player B) . The only person who is remotely tolerable on MOTD is Lee Dixon.

I dont have SKY Sports and never have, but ive watched every game this season on the computer with no major problems, except obviously the CC Semi and FA cup match vs Man U, those matches were on TV.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #18: Feb 19, 2012 01:31:12 pm
      So you install veetle and sopcast and you're good to go?

Yes, pretty much. Sopcast is in my opinion the best program to watch streams on. If there are links available, as there are for almost every Liverpool game (think I've seen one this season that didn't have any Sopcast links), then you'll be able to watch the game in relatively good quality. Sopcast is merely a program that connects to 'channels' provided by other Sopcast users. The difference between using Sopcast to watch your stream, and watching it directly off your internet browser, is usually very noticeable in terms of quality and the 'skipping' of the stream.

I've used Sopcast, and to a lesser extent internet browser streams, to watch every single Liverpool game for years. Wouldn't miss one!
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #19: Feb 19, 2012 01:37:01 pm
      I just don't like the pub atmosphere

I know what you mean. I had a lovely local pub, so close I even went for a poo at home at half time, and my pint was where I felt it. But they "Did it up", now like a tarts bathroom, with leather seats, booths, and they serve coffee. Not been there for years, miss those days, but I digress.

Personally I feel Highlights are not good. They are someone else's synopsis of a book. It is their point of view, and not yours to make your decision about.

The few games that I have been to and then watched the highlights, well there is no resemblance to both games.

Highlights are better than nothing, but not like the real thing, nor like watching the whole game.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #20: Feb 19, 2012 01:42:59 pm
      I had sky sports till recently for the televised games but always used firstRow free live sports for the other matches, but they appear to have been shut down. :(
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #21: Feb 19, 2012 01:48:12 pm
      I had sky sports till recently for the televised games but always used firstRow free live sports for the other matches, but they appear to have been shut down. :(

This one?

http://www.firstrowsports.eu/
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 9,499 posts | 1491 
      Reply #22: Feb 19, 2012 02:24:17 pm
      Thanks all, very good information here.

Quick Reply