Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Ian Ayre Managing Director

Read 48747 times
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Ian Ayre Managing Director
      May 17, 2012 07:47:50 am
      Didn't see a thread for him where its just about him so I thought id make one because there is talk about him leaving as well as Kenny.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Re: Ian Ayre Managing Director
      Reply #1: May 17, 2012 07:50:44 am
      Liverpool owners begin search for new manager
      Thursday, May 17, 2012 - 07:12 AM

Liverpool's owners are focused on ensuring their next appointment is the right one after deciding Kenny Dalglish was not the man to deliver their vision.

The Scot was sacked yesterday just 12 months into a three-year contract after Fenway Sports Group determined an eighth-placed finish did not represent sufficient grounds for optimism.

Dalglish disagreed, pointing to a first trophy in six years and an appearance in the FA Cup final, but the Americans left no room for sentimentality in removing the 61-year-old fan favourite.

"Our job now is to identify and recruit the right person to take this club forward and build on the strong foundations put in place during the last 18 months," said principal owner John Henry.

Chairman Tom Werner, who only a month ago insisted Dalglish had their full support, admitted the fact Liverpool finished 17 points behind fourth-placed Tottenham was a concern for them.

"Results in the Premier League have been disappointing and we believe to build on the progress that has already been made, we need to make a change," he said.

"We are committed to delivering success for our supporters and our ambition remains resolute to return this great club to the elite of England and Europe, where it belongs."

Managing director Ian Ayre paid tribute to the stabilising effect Dalglish had had since taking over from Roy Hodgson in January 2011 and was confident the club was well-placed to move forward - even though they have no manager, no director of football or no news on proposed plans for a new stadium or redevelopment of Anfield.

"The football club is now in a much healthier shape than it was last January off the pitch," he told liverpoolfc.tv.

"The owners have removed the debt and everything is now being put in place to compete commercially and financially with our main rivals.

"The only missing piece of the jigsaw - the most important piece of the jigsaw - is football and success in the Premier League.

"The club has a clear long-term strategy in place to get to where we want to be - on and off the pitch - and that is why changes have been made on both the football and business sides of the club."

Dalglish's view that winning the Carling Cup and narrowly losing to Chelsea in the FA Cup final was enough of an achievement to promote optimism for the future was not shared by the owners.

"Of course I am disappointed with results in the league but I would not have swapped the Carling Cup win for anything as I know how much it meant to our fans and the club to be back winning trophies," said the Scot.

"Whilst I am obviously disappointed to be leaving the football club, I can say that the matter has been handled by the owners and all concerned in an honourable, respectful and dignified way and reflects on the quality of the people involved and their continued desire to move the football club forward in the same way as when they arrived here."

Former manager Rafael Benitez, out of work and still living on the Wirral, has emerged as a favourite to take over but Wigan boss Roberto Martinez - who would represent much more of a gamble - has also been linked.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/liverpool-owners-begin-search-for-new-manager-551813.html#ixzz1v6hd8KMn
      Seems interesting where the owners say everything is looking good with the club apart from on the pitch. Therefore why is Ian Ayre getting criticised by the media and talks about him getting the sack as well. I think he has done well for the club.
      http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/liverpool-owners-begin-search-for-new-manager-551813.html
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #2: May 17, 2012 08:36:36 am
      Correct me if I am wrong but in this article it is Ayre himself who is saying everything is rosy off the pitch not the owners.
      I agree Ayre has done well with his commercial hat on with things like Standard Chartered and Warrior but I don't think he is a CE.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #3: May 17, 2012 08:53:44 am
          t News /
          Ian Ayre on Kenny and the future

Following the news that Kenny Dalglish has left the Club, we speak to Managing Director Ian Ayre about the reasons behind the decision and the search for our next manager.

Play Video
      Ayre on Kenny and the future

This has clearly been a big 24 hours in the history of Liverpool FC. Can you start by telling us why the decision has been made to part company with Kenny Dalglish and who has made the decision?

I think to understand it you have to think back over the last 18 months and look at Kenny's time here. At the time he came back the club was in a very difficult situation, in a freefall and all over the place for lots of reasons and I think if you look at what he achieved and what he brought to that in galvanising everyone and bringing everyone together, it was the right guy at the right time for that and perhaps the only guy at that time. We've worked with Kenny and we've got ourselves in a fantastic position now in terms of a foundation to take the club forward. The owners have talked, and I have talked a lot myself about moving forward, and I think we felt that based on where we are both as a sound footing for the business and a sound footing for the football club, the next most important thing going forward is results. When we looked across this season particularly, I don't think we felt that results were good enough. That in itself then asks a question. The board looked at that. It wasn't an easy decision, it was a well considered process and ultimately the decision was made that based on those results it was the right time to make a change. That's the way you have to move forward.

Speculation was rife about Kenny's future since it became common knowledge that he'd travelled to Boston after the Swansea game. Why did you allow the rumours to build and build without saying anything official?

The club's renowned for what we call 'the Liverpool way' and about doing things in the proper way and doing them behind closed doors, so to speak. This was never about a particular game or a particular incident, this was about results over a longer period. Then it was about consulting with Kenny and understanding his view on things before you get to that final decision. We were never going to and never would talk about or react to rumours until we had a decision, until we knew what the situation was and that's today. Having spent time with Kenny myself yesterday and having talked through all of the detail, today was the right time to make the announcement.

Was Kenny offered an alternative job within the Club?

The discussion was about today, about the process now and about the change. Kenny is such an important part of the fabric of this football club, that was the case before, it was the case while he was here and it will be the case afterwards, but it was about today and about where we are today, not about the future.

How did Kenny take the news?

Obviously disappointed and I think lots of people will be disappointed. What I can say though is that people who know Kenny, people who've met Kenny and people who've seen Kenny will know that one of the things that's great about him is the type of person he is. As our manager, as a former manager and as a former player, he always acts with dignity and he accepted it in a dignified way. That's played out in his comments in the statement we issued. He felt we all acted with dignity and that's the way it should be because this is Liverpool Football Club. He's a great person, this is a great club and it was handled in the right way, but as to how he feels about it, that'd be a question for Kenny I guess.

Looking back, do you think it was a mistake to appoint Kenny and how would you describe his 16 months in charge?

It absolutely wasn't a mistake and couldn't be further from it, to be honest. If you look back across that period, let's be clear - we asked Kenny to come back, he didn't ask for the job. We very much went and asked him to take the position, to come back and to help and he did all of those things. He always said 'if I can be of any help, I will'. He really was the catalyst to everything we have now to go forward. He was the person who galvanised everyone around such a difficult time, he brought people together, he brought the club, the fans and the players together. There were issues all over the place and in bringing all of those together he cemented us all with this unity to work together. That's such a legacy for him to leave here today. I don't believe there's anybody else who could have done that and Liverpool fans and Liverpool Football Club will always be grateful to Kenny for that, but like any plan there are different people at different times along that journey. Kenny has done a fantastic thing in his part of it and we move to the next chapter. He'll always be a part of it and he'll always be a part of the club.

It's always a big decision to change the manager of a football club, even more so when that person is such an icon of the Club - was it a case of sentiment and emotion having to be put to one side in this instance?

Yes, it is. Of course those things are in your mind, who Kenny is and what he represents, but at the same time we have a duty to do what's best at each time and at each turning point in the journey for the football club. We do have to put that aside, but only in terms of the decision and where we go, not in the sense of how we treat that person and how we come to this decision. We believe it's the right decision at the right time for Liverpool Football Club and for that reason it was done.

At the moment we have no first team manager and no Director of Football - are we already at a disadvantage to other clubs in terms of planning for next season?

No. A few people have asked that question saying 'is this Liverpool in some form of disarray?' I'd actually say it's completely the opposite. There is a plan, there's been a plan over the last few months of 'what is the next step, how do we go forward, what is the right way forward for Liverpool Football Club?' Of course you don't go out and tell the world what that plan is, you just act upon it and as I said before, we often do these things behind closed doors. It's about putting all the parts of that together and then unveiling them at the appropriate times, but there is certainly no concern at my level or the board that we're in disarray. We're making the decisions we're making and we're doing the things we're doing because they're part of a bigger plan to take the football club forward. That may seem like a concern for some people, for our fans and others, maybe for some of our staff, but they have to understand you have to develop a plan, implement a plan and execute it and that's all going on in the background. As and when it's appropriate to talk in detail about any part of it, that's absolutely what we'll do.

If players become available in the transfer market now who could improve our squad, are we in a position to do deals for them?

Absolutely. It's a big machine that works around the acquisition of players at Liverpool and the fact that today we don't have a Director of Football or a manager, doesn't mean any of that stops. There's a huge team of people involved in scouting and analysis and that's all still going on. Clearly the appointment of the manager going forward is vital to that process as well. It won't stop us, we'll move it along but we'll make the key decisions when that person's in place.

What is the process now in the recruitment of a new manager?

It's essentially the same as it's always been at Liverpool Football Club. Whether it was the board of Liverpool recruiting Bill Shankly many years ago or the recruitment of Kenny Dalglish 18 months ago, it's the same process. The board will create a criteria of what that manager should look like and we'll match that with the best possible candidates and make a decision on that basis.

When do LFC hope to have a new man in place?

That will be dictated by finding the right candidate of the right quality. What we want is the best, what we don't want is to choose quickly or choose because there's a time pressure. It'll be about finding the right person who can do the best job for Liverpool Football Club.

Fans on the outside have been reading about a number of big changes over recent weeks with many people in key positions leaving the Club - what do you say to those people who say we're a club in crisis?

As I said earlier, I can understand absolutely why certain people might think that from the outside, but we internally and as a board, with the owners, have a very clear vision of where we want to go. As a business and as a board you have to develop that plan, you have to implement that plan and that doesn't always mean talking about it in the media or even talking about it to staff internally. It's about carrying that out in the right way and the right way is about finding the right people. Some people have left but some people will come, and that's really a process we'll manage in a proper way, in a dignified way and in a way that is right for the football club, but the solution will absolutely be the right one.

Finally, despite his departure, how would you describe Kenny Dalglish?

There is so much to say about Kenny. I think he's done so much at this football club, for this football club. He's one of those people that you really can't match. There's really nobody quite like Kenny in lots of different ways. I remember watching him here as a player myself, we remember his time as a manager first time around and this time around, and in each case he has created some kind of legacy and some kind of memory for everybody that's just outstanding. I don't see this period as any different. As I said before, I genuinely believe Kenny was the only person who could have helped bring this back together 18 months ago and over the last 18 months, and for that reason he leaves another lasting memory at Liverpool Football Club which everybody connected with the club should be extremely grateful.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/ian-ayre-on-kenny-and-the-future?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #4: May 17, 2012 08:55:29 am
      Correct me if I am wrong but in this article it is Ayre himself who is saying everything is rosy off the pitch not the owners.
      I agree Ayre has done well with his commercial hat on with things like Standard Chartered and Warrior but I don't think he is a CE.
      I dont know where you are getting at what im saying is some of the media is saying Ayre will be next for the cut but this article proves that Henry is happy with what Ayre is doing off the pitch so there should be no reason for his sacking. Unless i need glasses and im seeing someone else say that.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #5: May 17, 2012 09:37:04 am
      Happened to ask a guy who works closely with Ian Ayre whether or not he thought Ayre would still be in a role next week. He replied 'his comments today speak volumes. I think he is desperately trying to hang on to his job. He cuts a man of pure desperation".

As if we didn't already know that. ;D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #6: May 17, 2012 09:38:47 am
      Great commercial director but a poor CEO.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #7: May 17, 2012 09:39:45 am
      Great commercial director but a poor CEO.

this X100
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #8: May 17, 2012 09:48:53 am
      The more interviews I see of him, the more I dislike him.

Seems something of a "Yes man" to me, still indecisive of whether he was included in the "Sack Rafa" brigade too.
      Bozkat
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts |
      Reply #9: May 17, 2012 09:01:49 pm
      Just watched the video on SKY and was left deflated. If it was the right f***in decision then everybody would be happy and i wouldn't feel so sick. The names mentioned in the press, (with the exception of Rafa), don't exactly inspire confidence or fit in with Ayre's rhetoric. Its hard to imagine Martinez leading us tp Premier League or European glory. I certaintly can't see it.

The Yanks and Ayre may be good business men, but its time proven that the laws of business don't always transpose to football. Any manager needs time. Football's about people and some faces just won't fit irrespective of what statistics are produced. Kenny was definitely worth another season at least.

Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #10: May 18, 2012 10:10:01 am
      The club's managing director has spoken to key members of the squad following the departure of Kenny Dalglish - and has now dismissed any talk of high-profile exits.

"I spoke to all our senior players yesterday and I don't think that will happen," said Ayre.

"Of course Kenny is an important part of the fabric of the club and always will be.

"There isn't anyone who won't be disappointed with the decision but at the same time players are respectful.

"It's about the football club. We are talking about going forward, not going backwards."

Ayre hopes key positions will start to be filled over the next fortnight after the club parted company with Dalglish, director of football Damien Comolli and director of communications Ian Cotton.

"There are no plans to fire anyone else," Ayre confirmed. "It was just part of a process. It is all part of wanting to get it right. The natural break point is at the end of a season. That is the time when you take stock of what people have achieved or what they haven't achieved within a period.

"This view that there is a crisis and everyone is leaving is wrong, it's just a time based thing. When anyone leaves you have to go through the process of finding a replacement and moving forward.

"It's fair to say we are fairly imminent on a lot of positions that have exited. What you will see over the next two weeks is those new people arriving and a momentum of going forward.

"There will be new people arriving with new energy and new initiatives. For all the negativity that has existed in the last six to eight weeks, you will see a lot of positivity around the new appointments with their experience and what they will deliver."

Ayre has also revealed how the responsibilities previously held by Comolli could be split between several appointments in future.

"The idea is rather than one person being responsible for all the elements Damien's role took on, we will divide up the responsibilities," Ayre said.

"We will have a slightly different structure so there will be two or three positions within that. Running a big football club is a big challenge. It's evident we need to focus on each area with a specialist who will deliver value in each area."

Despite a possible redefinition of our director of football role, Ayre does not anticipate additional pressure burdening whoever succeeds Dalglish in the dugout.

"The model has always been developing and the plan has evolved," he said.

"As is always the case when you have a difficult situation, it highlights the shortcomings and issues around certain areas. Did we learn from the Suarez thing? Did we get some things wrong? Of course.

"But you move on. The important thing is you take the things that you get wrong and build to not get those things wrong again.

"I wouldn't go as far as to say the manager's job will only be a training ground role but absolutely the idea is to create a structure so that the manager doesn't need to focus on too much else.

"You want the manager to be focused on getting the best out of his team. But what it absolutely isn't about is bringing players in without the manager's input.

"In the past a manager would be going to look at 20 or 30 different games just to find one player. Whereas with the right structure someone lines all of that up and the manager is just going to the final interview.

"We are trying to create as much resource and expertise in all the areas that serve the manager and the team rather than having one or two people trying to achieve everything. We are not looking to copy any other club. It will have Liverpool's own stamp and structure on it."

One addition to the LFC team will be someone to aid Ayre with creating revenue.

He explained: "I'm the person here responsible for running the football club. I welcome that challenge and I'll do the best job I can do.

"What's important is we've got the right structure to run the club in the right way. One of the announcements we will make in the next week or so will be about someone working with me to continue delivering the important revenue streams.

"We've done very well in growing our revenue in the last four or five years but it's important to keep building on it."

Meanwhile, Ayre has explained more about the decision to part ways with Dalglish following a review of the season.

He said: "It was a very simple decision based on results, and did we believe that was going to change? To be 37 points off the winner, 17 points off fourth, 14 losses...

"Winning the FA Cup wouldn't have made any difference - it was never about an individual result. It was always about taking a review of the season in full.

"The Carling Cup and the FA Cup don't generate the revenue and the success that is needed to keep investing. If you want to be successful, you have got to keep investing. People don't want to hear that football is a business. They want to see us put lots of money into the football team and win lots of trophies and games.

"But you have got to have both. You have got to have continued progress in the league. If you don't do well in the league and you don't get into the Champions League, you are writing cheques from your own pocket, aren't you? That is not a sustainable way going forward.

"I agree you can't keep changing managers and as long as what you expect in terms of moving forwards is achieved, of course you give that person the time and support they need. But there is a difference between that and failure. If you massively get it wrong then of course you have to make that change. You expect targets to be achieved.

"It's absolutely critical that we get it right and we move forward. The Champions League is where the football club has to be. It's where everyone wants it to be. When John Henry and Tom Werner arrived, they said they wanted to be winning the league.

"It won't happen overnight. Nobody is kidding themselves. But you have got to be heading in that direction. You can only live on history of success for a certain amount of time.

"I don't believe that Chelsea have more fans in south-east Asia than Liverpool. Spend time in those countries and those cities and you will see that Liverpool and Manchester United dominate the landscape. But it doesn't last forever.

"That is why progress is so important. If you are a manager at that level or you are a manager aspiring to get there, I still think this is one of the biggest jobs in world football.

"We can find a top-class manager to come to this football club."
      http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/latest-news/ayre-i-ve-spoken-to-top-stars
      RedWilly

• 9,146 posts | 1619 
      Reply #11: May 18, 2012 10:17:46 am
      To be honest I'm sick of hearing from this guy. Needs to stick to what he knows and I get the impression that it isn't football. Seems like a whipping boy who will do all the running around and dirty work for FSG.

Needs to keep his mouth shut and get on with sorting the current mess out.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: May 18, 2012 10:34:32 am
      So...
      Champions League takes priority over all else.
      If we finish 5th will that be progress or will the next manager get sacked.
      Better get the F***ing chequebook out.
      Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #13: May 18, 2012 10:41:00 am
      To be honest I'm sick of hearing from this guy. Needs to stick to what he knows and I get the impression that it isn't football. Seems like a whipping boy who will do all the running around and dirty work for FSG.

Needs to keep his mouth shut and get on with sorting the current mess out.
      Have to agree with you here

Can remember when he asked for more of the TV money (something that was never going to happen) I actually felt embarrassed for him 
      Terry Macs Perm
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 97 posts |
      • 1977 - what a goal!
      Reply #14: May 18, 2012 11:12:05 am
      We have to hear from our MD when we have just sacked the manager and he would not be doing his job if he did not support the owners - surely you didn't expect him to slag them off?? He did a brilliant job as Commercial Director and has got a good new one (can't remember hios name but ex-Nike). Whether he is a CEO or not, I don't know but I actually like the fact we only hear from him when you'd expect to and that he only talks about the business - he leaves football decisions down to the people responsible i.e. Manager and Director of Football. Whilst we don't have either of those, of course questions will come to him but, as soon as the new Manager is hired, I'm sure we'll hear less from him. I think he has done as good a job as possible for the club in the role he does and hope he stays in a capacity where we benefit from his expertise BUT, most importantly, it goes on in the background whilst the football takes centre stage.
      BC231979
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 50 posts |
      Reply #15: May 22, 2012 10:05:09 pm
      He's a LFC fan in an important job, helped steady the ship and throw H&G out, brought money in to the club and stands in front of the media to take the backlash of FSG's decisions
      Jase
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,287 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 26, 2012 01:04:42 pm
      He's an idiot. I wish we'd cut our losses with him to be honest.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #17: Jun 26, 2012 01:08:16 pm
      How can Ayres call himself a Fan and then let Kenny take the bullet. He should have insisted Kenny be given another year or do the right and honourable thing and resign.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18: Jun 26, 2012 01:56:17 pm
      Good commercial director, sh*te CEO and great at sacking legends (Kenny & Benitez).
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #19: Jun 26, 2012 04:28:47 pm
      Good commercial director, sh*te CEO and great at sacking legends (Kenny & Benitez).

To be fair I don't think he actually sacked either!

How can Ayres call himself a Fan and then let Kenny take the bullet. He should have insisted Kenny be given another year or do the right and honourable thing and resign.

Protecting his own arse probably.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20: Jun 26, 2012 05:05:48 pm
      To be fair I don't think he actually sacked either!

Protecting his own arse probably.

Maybe not directly but hand his hand up though.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #21: Aug 02, 2012 11:55:15 pm
      I really want to know what Ayre is doing and what his plans are for this club. So far he has landed a few decent sponsorpship deals in his commercial role and in his transition into managing director has seen him move into roles beyond his expertise. He is now tasked with finding and negotating players for us and I am not liking it. His priority at the conclusion of last season should have been to lock down our key players in new long term contracts i.e. Suarez, Agger and Skrtel seems he is all too keen to play football manager ala Purslow albeit with a bit more common sense.

Either way I think it's time for him to pull his finger out!
      Christ
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,209 posts | 40 
      Reply #22: Aug 03, 2012 11:42:32 am
      Don't rate him at all beyond his commercial role and how much of that is actually down to him I don't know, one of my biggest worries is he is negotiating transfer deals for the club. He's passive we need much better than Ayre to get deals done quickly and effectively someone football clubs respect.

Quick Reply