Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Ian Ayre Managing Director

Read 49049 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Re: Ian Ayre Managing Director
      Reply #115: Oct 10, 2012 01:23:56 pm
      Get what your saying but hasn't whatever he's said previously been in statements that have been official from the club or on LFC TV, Being Liverpool, or at least set in a way that he can say what he likes without it being questioned.

Surely, depending on the interviewer, questions he doesn't normally have to answer may be thrown his way and put to him from different angles.

Good point. I haven't listened to the interview yet but I susp[ect that he doesn't answer anything remotely controversial. Have to say, having watched him a bit on Being Liverpool, he doesn't exactly full me with confidence. I said it before, think it was the day Luis signed a new contract, but he reminds me off a man who has just come of the golf course or the knobhead teacher. Just saying.
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #116: Nov 29, 2012 12:54:44 am
      Gareth Roberts ‏@robbohuyton
      Re the chronic striker shortage at LFC, Ian Ayre answered a question on it to the last Supporters’ Committee:

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #117: Nov 29, 2012 01:07:34 am
      So a club that will be debt free with well balanced books, a bit like Stoke City then or many other mid table teams.

Nice one Ian your bosses have set your target and you will get your bonus whether we finish 7th or 17th will not impact you.
      MiciG91
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,664 posts | 38 
      Reply #118: Nov 29, 2012 02:45:03 am
      So where is all this extra revenue going from our lucrative sponsorship deals ?
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #119: Nov 29, 2012 02:49:34 am
      So a club that will be debt free with well balanced books, a bit like Stoke City then or many other mid table teams.

Nice one Ian your bosses have set your target and you will get your bonus whether we finish 7th or 17th will not impact you.

Even they are above us.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #120: Nov 29, 2012 08:27:30 am
      So where is all this extra revenue going from our lucrative sponsorship deals ?

It helped go towards our inflated wage bill over the last 3 years and the purchase of players and general running of the club

What Ayre says there is nothing we didnt already know
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #121: Nov 29, 2012 08:30:14 am
      Gareth Roberts ‏@robbohuyton
      Re the chronic striker shortage at LFC, Ian Ayre answered a question on it to the last Supporters’ Committee:

There you have it, from the horses' ass mouth; we tried to sign Dempsey but because "we wouldn't go beyond our budget" we failed. We wouldn't go beyond the budget because "we don't create debt that we can't support".

Hmmm... how much debt would signing Dempsey really have created; remembering, of course, that we (apparently) had £15m sitting 'spare' for Sturridge?

January will be fun.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #122: Nov 29, 2012 09:18:25 am
      Hmmm... how much debt would signing Dempsey really have created; remembering, of course, that we (apparently) had £15m sitting 'spare' for Sturridge?

January will be fun.

Ooh  !  You are a one BB !

;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #123: Nov 29, 2012 10:07:31 am
      There you have it, from the horses' ass mouth; we tried to sign Dempsey but because "we wouldn't go beyond our budget" we failed. We wouldn't go beyond the budget because "we don't create debt that we can't support".

January will be fun.

True and its basically the owners dictating who the manager can and cannot sign.

Not much employing a manager whos decisions you don't trust as far as I'm concerned.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #124: Nov 29, 2012 10:20:47 am
      True and its basically the owners dictating who the manager can and cannot sign.

Not much employing a manager whos decisions you don't trust as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's not dictating who he can't buy it's controlling a budget - a budget that BR should have known.

Did BR know the maximum the owners would allow for Dempsey or was he oblivious to that ?

What Ayre has said is something we all knew anyway - they won't compromise our financial position and won't over spend on players they think isn't worth it - they allowed free reign to Comolli to spend whatever and him and Kenny went mental and paid double what people were worth. Can anyone blame them for being a bit stricter.

I think the offer they put in for Dempsey is about right for a 29 year old in the last year of his contract
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #125: Nov 29, 2012 10:27:58 am
      But as Badboy pointed out we seemingly had £15 left to spend on a player but it appears only if the owners seen that player as value.

In my book that is them dictating who he can and cannot buy with the money.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #126: Nov 29, 2012 10:36:47 am
      But as Badboy pointed out we seemingly had £15 left to spend on a player but it appears only if the owners seen that player as value.

In my book that is them dictating who he can and cannot buy with the money.

Did we though ?

The other rumour I heard was we actually tried to sign him on loan but they only wanted to sell and Sturridge didn't want to go on loan.

That rumour would suggest no £15mil available
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #127: Nov 29, 2012 12:55:24 pm
      Either way George would spending an extra couple of million on Clint put the club at a level of debt we couldn't support?

I very much doubt it.

My point is more general in that they don't trust his judgement or possibly choose not to.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #128: Nov 29, 2012 01:27:27 pm
      Either way George would spending an extra couple of million on Clint put the club at a level of debt we couldn't support?

I very much doubt it.

My point is more general in that they don't trust his judgement or possibly choose not to.

I think they didn't want to over spend on Dempsey

Whether or not that was not trusting BR's judgement or just felt he wasn't worth the extra spend

They agreed that he was a player worth getting but not at too high a price.

They bid £4 approx which IMO is the right value for him - Spurs got him got £6mil and its being reported that Fulham would only accept a bid of £2mil more than anyone else bid so it's possible for us to get him we would be looking at a bid around £8mil ?!?!

Would you allow that much to be spent when you consider his age and length of contract especially after the ridiculous money spent the summer before ? I wouldn't

I think the problem that I didn't like was the communication between Ayre/Owners and BR. Did BR know they would only bid £4mil for him ? Did he expect Fulham to sell at that price ? Or did the owners tell BR they would get him regardless of price ? That sort if miscommunication allowed Carroll to leave and it's what I don't want to see happen again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #129: Nov 29, 2012 01:43:52 pm
      Would you allow that much to be spent when you consider his age and length of contract especially after the ridiculous money spent the summer before ? I wouldn't

In a word. Yes.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #130: Nov 29, 2012 02:19:13 pm
      If we buy TOm Ince back form Blackpool for the reported £6mil and then give him a contract which will probably be much higher than the one he wanted to stay who is going to admit to this F**k up becuase that is exactly what it is only us could resign a player we had for nothing and let him go becuase he wanted a decent contract.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #131: Nov 29, 2012 02:25:36 pm

If it was someone like Walcott then I agree it's worth the extra but not Dempsey - Dembele yes as well
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #132: Nov 29, 2012 02:28:29 pm
      If we buy TOm Ince back form Blackpool for the reported £6mil and then give him a contract which will probably be much higher than the one he wanted to stay who is going to admit to this F**k up becuase that is exactly what it is only us could resign a player we had for nothing and let him go becuase he wanted a decent contract.

It depends on what he was asking for.

It wasn't just a contract he wanted it was also a guarentee of first team action because he didnt get a big contract at Blackpool it was playing time.

The finger can also be pointed at the manager who desperately wanted Adam so used Ince as a sweetner in the deal
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #133: Nov 29, 2012 05:55:02 pm
      In a word.

Dempsey is

...Crap.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #134: Nov 30, 2012 02:10:10 pm
      We're gonna look like right mugs if we pay 6 mill for Tom Ince. Even if we get 35% of the fee back we'll have effectively given Blackpool 3.75m to have him on loan for 6 months. Nice job Ian Ayre-head!
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #135: Nov 30, 2012 02:22:11 pm
      We're gonna look like right mugs if we pay 6 mill for Tom Ince. Even if we get 35% of the fee back we'll have effectively given Blackpool 3.75m to have him on loan for 6 months. Nice job Ian Ayre-head!

Many of the financial decisions FSG make regarding transfers don't make much sense mate so don't be surprised if this happens.
      Tadders

• 6,724 posts | 567 
      Reply #136: Nov 30, 2012 02:22:39 pm

yes but would he have developed like he has - we couldn't give him first team football, because we have old Stewie driving down the wing....so In a way its not all bad, the fact that he would want to come back is a positive....
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #137: Nov 30, 2012 02:30:08 pm
      yes but would he have developed like he has - we couldn't give him first team football, because we have old Stewie driving down the wing....so In a way its not all bad, the fact that he would want to come back is a positive....

Maybe if BR was here last season he would have same way Sterling, Suso and Wisdom have this season. Unfortunately Kenny was too interested in playing the donkeys he signed to give our young talent a chance to shine.

Quick Reply