Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy

Read 17361 times
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy
      May 19, 2012 06:35:38 pm
      Interesting interview from Andre Villas Boas's on his footballing philosophy from The Daily Telegraph last August. Thought it'd be appropriate to post on here seeing as he does seem to be one of the main candidates for the job.

Andre Villas Boas's footballing philosophy
      The career of Andre Villas-Boas was famously launched by an encounter with Sir Bobby Robson in the Porto apartment block they shared.
      Encouraged by Robson, Villas-Boas would write out detailed scouting reports and leave them for the great man in his post box.
      Robson started to invite him to Porto’s training and informal coaching clinics that included Jose Mourinho.
      Two years ago Villas-Boas had his own encounter with precocity. On March 27 2009 he went to the Cafe Maiorca in his home town to be interviewed by Daniel Sousa, a 24-year-old student in the faculty of sport at the University of Porto.
      “He interviewed me when I was at Inter, assisting Jose,”explained Villas-Boas. “It was for his university thesis. When I got the club job with Academica back in Portugal I invited him to come and scout for me because from what I saw and heard during the interview it appeared to me that this boy could go all the way, in terms of scouting and in terms of management.” Sousa flourished.
      He now does the job Villas-Boas did for Mourinho at Chelsea, working as the opposition scout. Sousa has prepared the dossier on Stoke City that Villas-Boas will have used in preparation for his first competitive game in charge of his new club.
      This Cafe Maiorca interview is the most comprehensive expression of Villas-Boas’ football philosophy. In it Villas-Boas explains his theories about how the game should be played and gives a fascinating and detailed insight in what to expect from his Chelsea team.

GLOSSARY

Circulation: the retention of possession by passing from player to player without taking risks.
      Vertical: Up and down the pitch, from goal to goal.
      Horizontal: Across the pitch, from touchline to touchline.
      Transition: When possession is regained, the opportunity to counter-attack.
      Low block: A team that defends with two deep banks of defenders and midfielders. Mourinho’s succinct term for it was “parking the bus”.

A FOOTBALL PHILOSOPHY

AVB: There are more spaces in football than people think. Even if you play against a low block team, you immediately get half of the pitch.
      And after that, in attacking midfield, you can provoke the opponent with the ball, provoke him to move forward or sideways and open up a space. But many players can’t understand the game.
      They can’t think about or read the game. Things have become too easy for football players: high salaries, a good life, with a maximum of five hours work a day and so they can’t concentrate, can’t think about the game.
      Barcelona’s players are completely the opposite. Their players are permanently thinking about the game, about their movement, about how to provoke their opponent with the position of the ball.
      DS: Does a top team need to dominate possession to win a match?
      AVB: Not necessarily, for a simple reason. In Portugal we have this idea of match control based on ball circulation.
      That’s what we in Portugal want to achieve in our football: top teams that dominate by ball possession, that push the opponent back to their area.
      If you go find the top English teams pre-Arsene Wenger they tell you how to control a match in the opposite way without much ball possession, direct football, searching for the second ball.
      Maybe now, controlling possession is the reference point for a top team, but that happens because they have much more quality players than the other teams, so it would be wrong not to take advantage of those individual skills.
      DS: One thing Louis Van Gaal says is that you can control a match offensively and defensively but you must keep in control defensively you can also determine where your opponent will play on the pitch.
      AVB: Yes, I agree. In that sense, yes. But the idea we now have in Portugal of match control is about having more ball possession than the opponent.
      DS: Exactly, but match control has to result in scoring chances. That’s the only way it makes sense. There are teams that have like 60 per cent ball possession and that results in nothing at all.
      AVB: That’s it. Match control always has to have a purpose, a main goal.
      DS: And in that concept of match control, are there any sectors of the team more important than others?
      AVB: Well, that depends on the mechanisms you want to use defensively and offensively. Let me give you an example.
      Top teams nowadays don’t look to vertical penetration from their midfielders because the coach prefers them to stand in position (horizontally) and then use the movement of the wingers as the main source to create chances.
      So, you, as a coach, have to know exactly what kind of players you have and analyse the squad to decide how you want to organise your team offensively. And then, there are maybe some players more important than others.
      For instance, many teams play with defensive pivots, small defensive midfielders.
      And, except Andrea Pirlo and Xabi Alonso, and maybe Esteban Cambiasso and one or two more, they are players that are limited to the horizontal part of the game: they keep passing the ball from one side to another, left or right, without any kind of vertical penetration.
      Can’t you use your defensive midfielder to introduce a surprise factor in the match? Let’s say, first he passes horizontally and then, suddenly, vertical penetration?

THE INFLUENCE OF JOSE MOURINHO

AVB: There has been an evolution in football language and football analysis since Mourinho started to coach. There’s a different way of looking at a match, a different way of doing technical analysis.
      People have started to look beyond the formation, and started talking about the dynamics within the team and how they’re more important than the team’s formation.

TALKING TACTICS

DS: What’s the difference between playing with three or four midfielders?
      AVB: Rafa Benitez created a 4-4-2 much more dynamic than the usual English 4-4-2. Because he introduced speed in ball possession, he gave it variation between vertical and horizontal passes.
      The usual classic English 4-4-2 is more basic: a penetrating midfielder and another one that stays in position; a winger who moves inside and another one who stays wide; a full back who overlaps and another one who covers the defence.
      If you talk about a 4-4-2 diamond, that’s totally different. You play with two pivotal midfielders, one defensive and one offensive, so it creates many more problems for your opponent.
      Defensively, though, you take a great risk of ceding too much space because you are very central and you lack width. You have to create compensation mechanisms.
      Me, I’m a 4-3-3 fan, not 4-4-2. I don’t see how a classic 4-4-2 could work in the Spanish league, where every team plays 4-3-3 and the superiority of the midfield has become crucial.
      What Mourinho did with Chelsea with his 4-3-3 was something never seen before: a dynamic structure, aggressive, with aggressive transitions...and then there is Barca’s 4-3-3, which wouldn’t work in England, because of the higher risk of losing the ball.
      If you have midfielders like Frank Lampard or Steven Gerrard you don’t want your forwards to come and play between lines, because Lampard and Gerrard have a large field of action and very often move in to those spaces.
      Lampard was often irritated with Didier Drogba because Drogba wanted to receive the ball there but then, amazingly, his first touch was poor, so he lost the ball and we were exposed to a transition from the opponent.
      So we had to limit Drogba from going there and ask him to play deeper.

BARCELONA’S TACTICAL MASTERPLAN

DS: Is good ball circulation essential in the attacking organisation of a top team?
      AVB: Well, it’s essential to every team. Every team want to score. That’s the purpose of the game. Barcelona play horizontally only after a vertical pass. See how the centre backs go out with ball, how they construct the play. They open up (moving wider), so that the right or left-back can join the midfield line.
      Guardiola has talked about it: the centre backs provoke the opponent, invite them forward then, if the opponent applies quick pressure the ball goes to the other central defender, and this one makes a vertical pass.
      Not to the midfielders, who have their back turned to the ball, but to those moving between lines, Andres Iniesta or Lionel Messi, or even directly to the striker.
      Then they play the second ball with short lay-offs, either to the wingers who have cut inside or the midfielders, who now have the game in front of them.
      They have an enormous capacity not to lose the ball, to do things with an unbelievable precision.
      Another thing about Barcelona, there is always a full-back who arrives earlier in the attack, the other stays in position initially but then progressively joins the attack, as the ball circulates on the other side of the pitch, so he can be a surprise element. When you least expect he arrives. He chooses the perfect timing for the overlap.
      DS: Louis Van Gaal says a vertical pass is not a risk, but a horizontal pass is because when you make a horizontal pass you are much more open, more exposed in case you lose the ball.
      AVB: Yes, that’s right. And there are differences between a horizontal pass and a slightly diagonal pass.
      Something that used to happen a lot in England, when teams played 4-4-2, was that the central midfielders exchanged the ball between them in parallel passes so what we did with Lampard, or Liverpool did with Gerrard, was to try to cut into that space between the two midfielders with fast movement from Lampard.
      If they got the ball there, there were already two opponents eliminated in the attacking transition.

DEALING WITH DEFENSIVE TEAMS

DS: How do you attack a team that plays with an ultra-low block?
      AVB: Let’s see. Juventus play with an ultra-low block, they don’t put any pressure on you high up the field. Nowadays most teams don’t. It can limit you because they control the space behind them with perfect offside timing.
      They limit your vertical passes as well because they are all grouped within 30 or 40 metres, completely closed in two lines of four plus the two forwards.
      So you start constructing “short”, begin the attacking process with your centre-backs of full-backs carrying the ball forward to the midfield area but then you want to pass the ball to the midfielders and you don’t know how to do it, because there is an ultra-limited space, everything is completely closed.
      DS: So what to do?
      AVB: You have to provoke them with the ball, which is something most teams can’t do. I cannot understand it. It’s an essential factor in the game.
      At this time of ultra-low defensive block teams, you will have to learn how to provoke them with the ball. It’s the ball they want, so you have to defy them using the ball as a carrot.
      Louis Van Gaal’s idea is one of continuous circulation, one side to the other, until the moment that, when you change direction, an space opens up inside and you go through it.
      So, he provokes the opponent with horizontal circulation of the ball, until the moment that the opponent will start to pressure out of despair. What I believe in is to challenge the rival by driving the ball into him.
      That’s something Pep Guardiola believes is decisive. And that’s something that Henk ten Cate also took to Avram Grant’s Chelsea. He took it with him form Frank Rijkaard’s Barcelona. We did it differently at Chelsea under Mourinho.
      Our attacking construction was different, with the ball going directly to the full-backs or midfielders. With Ten Cate, play was started with John Terry or Ricardo Carvalho, to invite the opponent’s pressure. Then you had one less opponent in the next step of construction.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/8699902/Chelsea-manager-Andre-Villas-Boass-footballing-philosophy.html

What do you think?

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Re: Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy
      Reply #1: May 19, 2012 07:35:25 pm
      Seems to know what he is talking about.

As long as he doesn't have to put up with the Chav style (Lampard / Drogba / Terry ) egos in the dressing room then he could be very good.

It'll be up to Stevie and JC to slap anyone round the head and keep the dressing room in tune with him.

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #2: May 19, 2012 07:37:36 pm
      Seems to know what he is talking about.

As long as he doesn't have to put up with the Chav style (Lampard / Drogba / Terry ) egos in the dressing room then he could be very good.

It'll be up to Stevie and JC to slap anyone round the head and keep the dressing room in tune with him.

Agreed. It's up to Gerrard and Carragher in their roles to galvanise support behind the manager. If they can't do that, they're not doing their jobs.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: May 19, 2012 07:43:55 pm
      Certainly sounds intelligent enough, and can talk the talk. Personally I believe tactics and formation should be dictated by what players you have available rather than a preconceived idea, but I suppose the idea now is to buy the players necessary to implement your prefered formation.

lerpwl_am_byth
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 566 posts |
      Reply #4: May 19, 2012 08:37:38 pm
      I think what people fail to realise about his Chelsea stint was that he was told to make the team youthful, and end up getting rid of Terry, Drogba, Lampard etc. That is why they didn't like him. Not because he has poor man-management skills. Hell, maybe he has terrible man-management skills, but his Chelsea career isn't an example of that. No, sir.

I would love to have AVB. Think he could be big here.
      soxfan
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,478 posts | 59 
      Reply #5: May 19, 2012 10:44:44 pm
      My first choice of the available ones is Rafa, but Villas Boas is fine too. I think he's going to be a brilliant manager. Look at that incredible run at Porto.
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #6: May 19, 2012 11:13:30 pm
      Rafa or Capello for me. AVB was out of his depth at the chavs and we can ill afford another mistake! We must appoint a proven manager!! Sadly, the best 2 managers will not be available until next summer!
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #7: May 19, 2012 11:23:53 pm
      AVB will be pissed he wasn't in Munich tonight.

Thats what I like. A person who has something to prove.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #8: May 19, 2012 11:31:24 pm
      Rafa or Capello for me. AVB was out of his depth at the chavs and we can ill afford another mistake! We must appoint a proven manager!! Sadly, the best 2 managers will not be available until next summer!

I don't know where this mystery about being "out of his depth" at Chelsea comes from. Last I heard FC Porto were still a pretty big club and indeed one of the biggest in Europe. You do not achieve what he achieved in his season at Porto without having something that's worth giving him another shot. Heck, even Carlo Ancelotti was losing grip of Chelsea in his last season and he ain't too bad a manager. Any manager who dared to show signs of threatening the "Chelsea elite's" future such as Lampard etc was always going to struggle.

That said I would be perfectly happy having Rafa back as well and indeed Fabio Capello. Two of Europe's greatest managers, particularly Capello. Can't complain about that.

I believe though that given time, freedom and respect Andre Villas Boas, if appointed, has the potential to be something better than "special".
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,524 posts | 1661 
      • YNWA
      Reply #9: May 19, 2012 11:31:31 pm
      An unlauded DiMatteo somehow managed to bring in the CL and FA Cups after AVB had brought the Chavs to their knees.
      Why would we want that latter Chavs castoff.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #10: May 19, 2012 11:36:11 pm
      An unlauded DiMatteo somehow managed to bring in the CL and FA Cups after AVB had brought the Chavs to their knees.

Yawn. Heard it all before. Tells us nothing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4906 
      Reply #11: May 19, 2012 11:44:29 pm

I made a joke with someone on here, can't remember who, about Villas Boas not doing as well as West Brom's cast off but I didn't really believe it.

I think it sometimes is easier for a manager to come in at short notice, galvanise the team especially players who didn't want to play for the previous guy, and get some success from it.

It doesn't necessarily mean he is a better manager.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #12: May 19, 2012 11:50:25 pm
      AVB is a very good intelligent young manager. That's what I told everyone before he went to Chelsea and nothing at his unfortunate, unlucky, wrong time spell there changes my opinion on him.

We're good at passing off other leagues are second rate here in the Premiership but the fact is. he won the Portuguese League in his first season aged 33 undefeated. He also won the Europa Cup in style, you know that tournament that English teams can't hack it in every season.

Haven't read any of the management debate on the main thread but gather from the poll that Benitez is the overwhelming favourite. Would be happy like most to see Benitez back but I certainly wouldn't be disappointed if we got AVB and actually think he can potentially be a very very successful manager in his career.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #13: May 19, 2012 11:52:35 pm
      I don't know where this mystery about being "out of his depth" at Chelsea comes from. Last I heard FC Porto were still a pretty big club and indeed one of the biggest in Europe. You do not achieve what he achieved in his season at Porto without having something that's worth giving him another shot. Heck, even Carlo Ancelotti was losing grip of Chelsea in his last season and he ain't too bad a manager. Any manager who dared to show signs of threatening the "Chelsea elite's" future such as Lampard etc was always going to struggle.

That said I would be perfectly happy having Rafa back as well and indeed Fabio Capello. Two of Europe's greatest managers, particularly Capello. Can't complain about that.

I believe though that given time, freedom and respect Andre Villas Boas, if appointed, has the potential to be something better than "special".

Managing a club like Liverpool cannot compare to managing Porto. They are worlds apart. The portuguese league is as competitive as the scottish league and proves nothing.

If AVB could not cut it at Chelsea then why is he a candidate for us? Maybe he wasn't given long enough at Chelsea...granted. But in my opinion...and this is only my opinion, which I am entitled to..he was out of his depth at Chelsea and needs to prove himself in Spain, Italy of England before I would consider him the real deal!
      A-BoY
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      • Born As a RED, Live As a RED, Die As a RED
      Reply #14: May 19, 2012 11:55:57 pm
      He looks like a pretty good manager for me...But what ever happens, we got to win something next season and make sure of champions league qualification...I cant bare seeing the MIGHTY LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB going into the history books for good...The new owners look optimistic, i hope they are aware of what they are doing...because more errors like Hicks and Gillett and i think its going to be hard for LIVERPOOL to reach the famous heights again...I love this club a lot, Im proudly carrying the batch everyday and all i hear is the 22 years chant...this has to be stopped...YNWA

*i hope someone is reading this 
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #15: May 19, 2012 11:56:14 pm
      Managing a club like Liverpool cannot compare to managing Porto. They are worlds apart. The portuguese league is as competitive as the scottish league and proves nothing.

If AVB could not cut it at Chelsea then why is he a candidate for us? Maybe he wasn't given long enough at Chelsea...granted. But in my opinion...and this is only my opinion, which I am entitled to..he was out of his depth at Chelsea and needs to prove himself in Spain, Italy of England before I would consider him the real deal!

I'd be quite happy to start proving himself at Liverpool then. Yes the Premier League is better than the Portugese League (clearly). Wouldn't go as far as saying it's as bad as the SPL. The technical level is probably one of the highest in Europe.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #16: May 20, 2012 12:01:05 am
      The Potuguese League is a million times better than the SPL, trust me!!!

You do realise that Porto have won 3 European trophies in 10 years??

It may not be as good a league as the Spanish and the English for interest and excitement but it is nothing like second rate!
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #17: May 20, 2012 12:05:54 am
      Grrrr wish people would stop digging at AVB over his Chelsea days, ok he didnt do a good a job although when he was sacked he was 3 points of the top four and then RDM finished lower down than that after he took over at the helm. AVB was told by the russian to build for the future and get rid of the oldies, please tell me you remember the whole "this is a long term project" sh*te? Anyway the Chelsea old boys dont like change and so they with the rule over the changing room turned against him, wouldnt matter here as our players aren't complete and utter tw*ts.

He is a good manager and his Chelsea days dont change that, just as even though it hurts me to say it that Woy is still a good manager. As much as I would love Rafa we all know he wouldnt work with FSG and so AVB seems like the most likely to get the job and I hope he does, that article just proves my points.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #18: May 20, 2012 12:07:37 am
      I'd be quite happy to start proving himself at Liverpool then. Yes the Premier League is better than the Portugese League (clearly). Wouldn't go as far as saying it's as bad as the SPL. The technical level is probably one of the highest in Europe.

Yep probably was over the top in my assessment of thye portuguese league...thats what 8 cans does to you :-)... but he still has alot to prove and Rafa and Capello are head and shoulders above him. And he was out of his depth at chelsea... and that can not be disputed imo. It was too much for him!
      « Last Edit: May 20, 2012 01:59:17 am by Reslivo »
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Reply #19: May 20, 2012 12:12:59 am
      I'm not so sure. His record at Porto was excellent but then, it was only season and it was Porto. Although his time at Chelsea was cut short, he left them a side barely in contention for fcourth and hanging onto CL participation by the finest of margins. All with a side that finished second last season. Lots of rumours about losing the dressing room and fall outs with senior players doesn't bode well either. He's also very young, 33 or something, and that potentially raises questions when some of the senior players you're managing are of a similar age.

That said, football can be a funny game. Chelsea have just won the Champions League against all the odds with a manager who was manager of MK don's and got sacked by West Brom not so long ago.

That and other examples prove that inexperienced managers can have big success so I wouldn't necessarily be against the appointment of someone like AVB.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #20: May 20, 2012 12:25:37 am
      I'm not so sure. His record at Porto was excellent but then, it was only season and it was Porto. Although his time at Chelsea was cut short, he left them a side barely in contention for fcourth and hanging onto CL participation by the finest of margins. All with a side that finished second last season. Lots of rumours about losing the dressing room and fall outs with senior players doesn't bode well either. He's also very young, 33 or something, and that potentially raises questions when some of the senior players you're managing are of a similar age.

That said, football can be a funny game. Chelsea have just won the Champions League against all the odds with a manager who was manager of MK don's and got sacked by West Brom not so long ago.

That and other examples prove that inexperienced managers can have big success so I wouldn't necessarily be against the appointment of someone like AVB.

Fair enough mate... i respect your opinion. Steve Mclaren won the dutch league... fancy him for the Liverpool job?? AVB was out of his depth at chelsea and thats my opinion. He is young and in tgime may prove himself worthy of a top job like Liverpool...but not now! Rafa or Capello !!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: May 20, 2012 12:26:56 am
      Fair enough mate... i respect your opinion. Steve Mclaren won the dutch league... fancy him for the Liverpool job?? AVB was out of his depth at chelsea and thats my opinion. He is young and in tgime may prove himself worthy of a top job like Liverpool...but not now! Rafa or Capello !!

Yeah but he did F**k all in Europe.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #22: May 20, 2012 12:30:03 am

Not talking about europe mate... was just responding to someone who mentioned that avb won the league in portugal. If abv can win in europe with fc twente then we can have the conversation!

Quick Reply