Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy

Read 17362 times
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,209 posts | 1213 
      Re: Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy
      Reply #23: May 20, 2012 12:30:27 am
      Fair enough mate... i respect your opinion. Steve Mclaren won the dutch league... fancy him for the Liverpool job?? AVB was out of his depth at chelsea and thats my opinion. He is young and in tgime may prove himself worthy of a top job like Liverpool...but not now! Rafa or Capello !!

Schteve who?
      Don77
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #24: May 20, 2012 12:31:41 am
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #25: May 20, 2012 12:32:30 am
      Personally think hes a really intelligent man.

Rafa would be my first choice, but if that wasn't a possibility, I would be delighted with AVB.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #26: May 20, 2012 12:34:57 am
      Couldn't give a f*ck,doesn't have any passion for our club,simply out of work,looking for a stepping stone.Next.
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #27: May 20, 2012 12:35:47 am
      Personally think hes a really intelligent man.

Rafa would be my first choice, but if that wasn't a possibility, I would be delighted with AVB.

So would I compared to Martinez and Rodgers etc!! My top 3 would be Capello, Rafa, AVB. I am not saying AVB is a bad manager. I don't believe he has the experience and that is what found him out at chelsea. We need a proven manager at this point and the first 2 in my list are exactly that!
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #28: May 20, 2012 12:39:08 am
      Couldn't give a f*ck,doesn't have any passion for our club,simply out of work,looking for a stepping stone.Next.

If that were the case though mate, we would be looking at a really short list of managers qualified for the job!
      Don77

• 6,527 posts | 1083 
      Reply #29: May 20, 2012 12:40:18 am
      If that were the case though mate, we would be looking at a really short list of managers qualified for the job!

We would..... a shortlist of one.. Rafa!
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #30: May 20, 2012 12:40:30 am

Not every manager out there is a Liverpool fan. Was Rafa when he came to us? He saw the club for what it is and fell in love as have many.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #31: May 20, 2012 01:00:44 am
      Not every manager out there is a Liverpool fan. Was Rafa when he came to us? He saw the club for what it is and fell in love as have many.
      No but he accepted our philosophy,and paid the ultimate price for his loyalty to the fans,he took on the corrupt ownership and helped in saving this club from going into Administration.In those troubled times. As usual at this great club,many sacrifice personally in times of need,I sold my house to move back down to fight the yank gobshites,so I respect a man like Rafa who put the interests of the club before his personal gain.So to answer your'e question,I would prefer a new Manager to be a Liverpool fan before he takes the role,or very quickly demonstrate that he adopts the culture,otherwise he would be doomed to failure anyway.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #32: May 20, 2012 01:12:03 am
      No but he accepted our philosophy,and paid the ultimate price for his loyalty to the fans,he took on the corrupt ownership and helped in saving this club from going into Administration.In those troubled times. As usual at this great club,many sacrifice personally in times of need,I sold my house to move back down to fight the yank gobshites,so I respect a man like Rafa who put the interests of the club before his personal gain.So to answer your'e question,I would prefer a new Manager to be a Liverpool fan before he takes the role,or very quickly demonstrate that he adopts the culture,otherwise he would be doomed to failure anyway.

Well by writing him off before you can even judge him is so idiotic. Rafa gained yours and our respect when he was here for basically what you said not before he was here. Let AVB do the same if he does get the job. Otherwise there is no pleasing you sir.
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #33: May 20, 2012 01:20:35 am
      Well by writing him off before you can even judge him is so idiotic. Rafa gained yours and our respect when he was here for basically what you said not before he was here. Let AVB do the same if he does get the job. Otherwise there is no pleasing you sir.
      You make your,e judgement of my opinions,based on the assumption that I think he is not fit for the job,when in fact I think there is a better fir for the job.I write him off because I believe a Roberto Martinez Manager/Rafa DOF would be a winning combination.
      Big Andy
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 786 posts |
      • 18 soon to be 19
      Reply #34: May 20, 2012 01:33:38 am
      You make your,e judgement of my opinions,based on the assumption that I think he is not fit for the job,when in fact I think there is a better fir for the job.I write him off because I believe a Roberto Martinez Manager/Rafa DOF would be a winning combination.
      Not really if you read your previous post it says you were writing him off because of no passion to our club.
      Let me tell you something Kenny Daglish did NOT have any passion for Liverpool when he was playing for Celtic did he.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,345 posts | 1620 
      Reply #35: May 20, 2012 01:34:04 am
      Well for me its very selfish so forgive me , my dad has been through Shanks  Paisley up until the present and i long to stand there with my dad and watch us win one more before we cant go with each other anymore ,i aint got time for growing pains or personaltys    that fail , i want it now before its to late and i know avb wont do that , if you think i am a desperate red then yes i am but only for the right reasons , i can wait but some dont have that luxury.   
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #36: May 20, 2012 01:41:06 am
      Not really if you read your previous post it says you were writing him off because of no passion to our club.
      Let me tell you something Kenny Daglish did NOT have any passion for Liverpool when he was playing for Celtic did he.
      Kenny playing for Celic has nothing to do with our club.This man and his wife bled in 1989,so stop now this is disrespectful,Mods please.
      rosscoveney
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | -4 
      Reply #37: May 20, 2012 01:43:45 am
      Kenny playing for Celic has nothing to do with our club.This man and his wife bled in 1989,so stop now this is disrespectful,Mods please.

It does have something to this conversation, this club forms the bond that managers have to it while they are here. Nobody should be judged until they have proved themselves.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #38: May 20, 2012 10:00:31 am
      Not good enough for Roma then not good enough for us, certainly not good enough to replace Kenny.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #39: May 20, 2012 10:36:50 am
      Not good enough for Roma then not good enough for us, certainly not good enough to replace Kenny.
      Getting back on topic tho': What do you think about his football philosophy Shabs?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,310 posts | 1521 
      Reply #40: May 20, 2012 10:38:43 am
      AVB Played a 4 3 3 formation at Chelsea, with the back 4 pushing up, playing a high line as they call it. It didn't have much success and Chelsea were regularly 'undone' with it. Do you think he would persist with that formation/phylosophy with us, and if he did, do you think we could make it work wit the squad we have. Also, is he a manager of the status which could draw top drawer players to our club ?
      On Rafa, i lost a bit of belief in his footballing nous when he tried to offload Alonso to Arsenal, behind Alonso's back, so he could buy Gareth Barry. F***ing no brainer for me, Barry is not in the same league as Alonso, and that was the start of our demise. Once Alonso felt unwanted, his leaving was a foregone conclusion, once he went, Masch followed and we started to go backwards. That was bad management for me, and disrupted what could have become a league winning side. Not sure if Rafa woud be the same second time around, few managers are, good or bad, but not really sure who could do a decent job for us under the current circumstances. Think NSV jumped the gun with Kenny really and were not prepared for the outcome. Don't think they imagined anyone would turn down the chance to manage us and we are going to end up with a third choice option at best. Sad days ahead I think.   :'( :'(
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #41: May 20, 2012 10:49:04 am

Fair enough most people want Rafa back therefore they wouldn't want AVB, I get that bit.

What I don't like is how a young manager who had a very unfortunate 7 month spell at Chelsea is completely written off as not good enough for us (that's the polite ones) to much worse, completely discrediting and ignoring what he done at Porto in his season there.

Our club has won 1 League Cup in 6 years.

In 1 season, AVB won a Portuguese League (undefeated) Portuguese Cup, Potuguese Super Cup and the Europa League in which they were stunning other than the final and in a competition where Premiership clubs have failed to come to grips with every time.

To say you don't want him, fair enough, to say he isn't good enough, sh!t manager etc, well it's just incorrect, a bit arrogant and harsh in the extreme IMO.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #42: May 20, 2012 11:53:28 am
      Getting back on topic tho': What do you think about his football philosophy Shabs?

Having a football philosophy is all good but trying to implement it within a season of reaching 4th or above is another matter.

Why should we accept AVB football philisophy which could take 2/3 years before we see signs of benefit but not offer Kenny the same timescale?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #43: May 20, 2012 12:00:23 pm
      Having a football philosophy is all good but trying to implement it within a season of reaching 4th or above is another matter.

Why should we accept AVB football philisophy which could take 2/3 years before we see signs of benefit but not offer Kenny the same timescale?

Very good question and I agree. That said, the owners are unlikely to go back in time and give Kenny his job back, so we do need a replacement. Villas Boas is a good manager and a good bloke too. For me he is the stand out candidate if we are looking for a new and vibrant philosophy to build our club around.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #44: May 20, 2012 12:03:11 pm
      He had a CL winning side but he couldn't see it and single handedly nearly fu**ed up Chelsea's season this and next.
      He could not motivate his players and if it wasnt for Matteo Chelsea would have won nothing and quite possibly finsihed below us.
      Dundee Red
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts |
      Reply #45: May 20, 2012 12:16:43 pm
      He had a CL winning side but he couldn't see it and single handedly nearly fu**ed up Chelsea's season this and next.
      He could not motivate his players and if it wasnt for Matteo Chelsea would have won nothing and quite possibly finsihed below us.

They won nothing the season before either under Ancelotti. Overall for 2 years they have been a team in decline with players getting older and the Mourinho legacy coming to an end.

Inexplicably they've had a fantastic 3 months in the FA Cup and Champions League. That's why they are calling yesterday a miracle. The players did nothing for Ancelotti last season. They done nothing for AVB this season. They somehow reacted in to 3 good months in 2 competitions under Di Matteo. Do I think Di Matteo is a fantastic manager? No, I think he has been extremely lucky that he came in and they have reacted and won 2 major trophies after showing nothing for almost 2 years before.

Quick Reply