Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy

Read 17341 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Andre Villas Boas's Football Philosophy
      Reply #69: May 20, 2012 05:44:38 pm
      He had a CL winning side but he couldn't see it and single handedly nearly fu**ed up Chelsea's season this and next.
      He could not motivate his players and if it wasnt for Matteo Chelsea would have won nothing and quite possibly finsihed below us.

Yet they were in a higher league position when he was in charge then where they finished the year....hmm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #70: May 20, 2012 05:47:27 pm
      Any reason's why Roma Never appointed AVB as their new manager and went fro their former striker Vincenzo Montella?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #71: May 20, 2012 05:49:50 pm
      I don't think AVB is a bad manager. To me, he has all the right ideas for managing a big club, he just should have never gone to Chelsea. Such a poisonous atmosphere with the egos and player power. I mean, keep in mind he was the same age as some of the biggest egos there.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #72: May 20, 2012 05:58:05 pm
      You mean they go over the manager's head?

No wonder Maureen left

Which ever club you go to mate, senior players will have more clout, especially if they are local lads and are seasoned internationals that have won trophies, but some owners don't reign them in.

I mean look at what the Chelsea dressing room done to Scolari, AVB wasn't the only one.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,487 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #73: May 20, 2012 06:21:54 pm
      Which ever club you go to mate, senior players will have more clout, especially if they are local lads and are seasoned internationals that have won trophies, but some owners don't reign them in.

I mean look at what the Chelsea dressing room done to Scolari, AVB wasn't the only one.

It's disgusting, and it should never be allowed. The way some clubs set out their stall is nuts.

Like a well respected coach and friend of mine once said, no player should be earning more than the manager anyway
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #74: May 20, 2012 06:44:31 pm
      Any reason's why Roma Never appointed AVB as their new manager and went fro their former striker Vincenzo Montella?

I think if FSG were already in talks with AVB the last few weeks then that could have something to do with it. He was in the running for the Valencia job as well but it went to our and Rafa's old friend Mauricio Pellegrino. If FSG were talking to AVB though and Kenny didn't know about it that would be totally unacceptable.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #75: May 20, 2012 06:53:58 pm
      If we have been in contact with AVB, another manager out of contract, then I still don't see why we approached Wigan to speak to Martinez.

I understand the need for back up options but surely with AVB not at a club we could establish pretty quickly if he is interested.

I've heard it mentioned on here before but could it be that Martinez is a smokescreen, with Whelan's big mouth, to allow us to get on with hiring our man.

Or it could be that Martinez is actually one of, if not the top, target for the position.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #76: May 20, 2012 06:55:39 pm
      I think if FSG were already in talks with AVB the last few weeks then that could have something to do with it. He was in the running for the Valencia job as well but it went to our and Rafa's old friend Mauricio Pellegrino. If FSG were talking to AVB though and Kenny didn't know about it that would be totally unacceptable.

What that would show is Kenny was on a loser from the off.

Just to touch on another note Roma is owned by one of FSG shareholders,could talks have taken place between both to let FSG have first shout on AVB?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #77: May 20, 2012 08:00:45 pm
      Plenty of people having plenty to say about Villas Boas's time at Chelsea. His buys weren't too bad. Mereiles for about 12 mill was probably a fraction toppish but he's obviously a good player. Mata at about 20 looks like about what he's worth to me, while Gary Cahill was an absolute steal at 7 million (I'll never know why Bolton weren't knocked over in the rush). He also recruited De Matteo as his assistant which didn't look like too bad a call.

Obviously I don't know if these were all his decision, partly his decision or none of his decision, but they don't look like terrible moves to me.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #78: May 20, 2012 08:05:24 pm
      Plenty of people having plenty to say about Villas Boas's time at Chelsea. His buys weren't too bad. Mereiles for about 12 mill was probably a fraction toppish but he's obviously a good player. Mata at about 20 looks like about what he's worth to me, while Gary Cahill was an absolute steal at 7 million (I'll never know why Bolton weren't knocked over in the rush). He also recruited De Matteo as his assistant which didn't look like too bad a call.

Obviously I don't know if these were all his decision, partly his decision or none of his decision, but they don't look like terrible moves to me.

So would you guess to say Kenny got it wrong for selling Miereles and replacing him with Adam,not chasing Gary cahill and spending the same amount on downing that would have got us a player of Mata's quality? Poor decisions by Kenny and Clarke but great from Boas?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #79: May 20, 2012 08:08:57 pm
      What that would show is Kenny was on a loser from the off.

Just to touch on another note Roma is owned by one of FSG shareholders,could talks have taken place between both to let FSG have first shout on AVB?

Yeah I think you may be right on both points there.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #80: May 20, 2012 08:10:51 pm

It's safe to say Mata and Mereiles were his two buys. I believe Gary Cahill was his as well. All three very good buys, especially Mata and Cahill (who was excellent last night).

Not sure if Di Matteo was his appointment though.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #81: May 20, 2012 08:15:08 pm
      So would you guess to say Kenny got it wrong for selling Miereles and replacing him with Adam,not chasing Gary cahill and spending the same amount on downing that would have got us a player of Mata's quality? Poor decisions by Kenny and Clarke but great from Boas?

I don't blame Kenny at all for the signings. I think he relished the prospect of creating a strong British core to the side once again and had full faith in succeeding it. It was up to the players to perform as they did at their previous clubs and that's their problems. As for AVB - it's clear by his transfer dealings that he knew what would work. His problem lay though in what he had to inherit. Being a scout before becoming a manager I guess he knows a lot about studying different players and teams so it's no surprise AVB is showing some signs of real talent there.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #82: May 20, 2012 08:33:35 pm
      Mourinho turned Porto around in 2003. Mourinho.
      Think they won the title 7 times in 9 years (or something like that) afterward.  AVB had them for one of those years AFAIK.
      The guy has some good patter about his 'footballing philosophy', that's all well and good ... FSG I'm sure will like his sharp suits too.
      The fact is he did make a balls of his first PL assignment (whatever the reasons behind that failure, the fact is he did not get most of the resources available).
      Might not tell his whole story, but should tell us something...
      read post in other threads saying that he won all those cups with a Mourinho team, but NO he left Porto in 2004 i don't think you will find a player from that time that was in the 25 man squad AVB is a good manager i would be happy with him at the helm
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #83: May 20, 2012 08:34:58 pm
      No question AVB made some good signings. He even opted for Mata over Stewart Downing, god knows why.

What's concerning is that despite the quality of those additions to a side that finished 2nd last season, he still had difficulty keeping Chelsea in the hunt for fourth and in the Champions League altogether.

It's his history Porto with that makes him an attractive candidate, not his time at Chelsea.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #84: May 20, 2012 08:36:00 pm
      Fair enough most people want Rafa back therefore they wouldn't want AVB, I get that bit.

What I don't like is how a young manager who had a very unfortunate 7 month spell at Chelsea is completely written off as not good enough for us (that's the polite ones) to much worse, completely discrediting and ignoring what he done at Porto in his season there.

Our club has won 1 League Cup in 6 years.

In 1 season, AVB won a Portuguese League (undefeated) Portuguese Cup, Potuguese Super Cup and the Europa League in which they were stunning other than the final and in a competition where Premiership clubs have failed to come to grips with every time.

To say you don't want him, fair enough, to say he isn't good enough, sh!t manager etc, well it's just incorrect, a bit arrogant and harsh in the extreme IMO
      this^
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #85: May 20, 2012 08:44:30 pm
      Alot of people quick to berate his time at Chelsea.

Worth noting at the time he was sacked, he had won 13 games in the league, we won 14 all season for abit of perspective. Also easy to forget while the wankfest over Matteo is ongoing, but RDM has actually taken them to a worse league position than AVB had them when he was sacked, and while Matteo has undeniably done a fantastic job in winning both Cups, AVB played his part in getting them on the ladder too.

Had a rocky time at Chelsea, which was to be expected in his first season in English management, combined with the media slaughtering him. But I really do think he will be a top, top manager in years to come. Statements suggesting he is "a sh*t manager" are quite frankly ludicrous.

Said it a few times, but if we don't get Rafa, I would be more than happy to see AVB come in and see what he can offer.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #86: May 20, 2012 08:50:28 pm

Meileles handed in a transfer request FFS. And Adam wasn't a 'replacement' for Meireles.
      Downing's signing though probably still keeps KK up at night :(
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #87: May 20, 2012 09:21:10 pm
      Meireles wanted to stay the club did not want to pay him the pay rise that was promised to him
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #88: May 20, 2012 09:21:56 pm
      Mourinho turned Porto around in 2003. Mourinho.
      Think they won the title 7 times in 9 years (or something like that) afterward.  AVB had them for one of those years AFAIK.
      The guy has some good patter about his 'footballing philosophy', that's all well and good ... FSG I'm sure will like his sharp suits too.
      The fact is he did make a balls of his first PL assignment (whatever the reasons behind that failure, the fact is he did not get most of the resources available).
      Might not tell his whole story, but should tell us something...

Attributing an unbeaten league campaign, a storming Europa League campaign and two further trophies to Jose Mourinho....7 years after he left the club is a bit ridiculous IMO.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #89: May 20, 2012 09:27:36 pm
      Villas Boas made mistakes at Chelsea, no question. And the fact he only had one season at Porto means he's also inexperienced. So in truth, his career could go either way. Very successful, or can't cut it in a bigger, better league.

But he learned his craft under the tutelage of the best manager in the world.  And showed in Porto in the Europa campaign - many of the games I seen and was very impressed - that he was also capable of beating teams from other countries and styles. I believe he will be a success at Anfield or elsewhere.

But he isn't the home banker that Benitez and Capello are.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #90: May 20, 2012 09:39:51 pm
      Alot of people quick to berate his time at Chelsea.

Worth noting at the time he was sacked, he had won 13 games in the league, we won 14 all season for abit of perspective. Also easy to forget while the wankfest over Matteo is ongoing, but RDM has actually taken them to a worse league position than AVB had them when he was sacked, and while Matteo has undeniably done a fantastic job in winning both Cups, AVB played his part in getting them on the ladder too.

Had a rocky time at Chelsea, which was to be expected in his first season in English management, combined with the media slaughtering him. But I really do think he will be a top, top manager in years to come. Statements suggesting he is "a sh*t manager" are quite frankly ludicrous.

Said it a few times, but if we don't get Rafa, I would be more than happy to see AVB come in and see what he can offer.

Sadly, the media base his 'incompetence' on the fact that, apart from being a scout at Chelsea, has no association with the English game.

As such, you will get ignorant fools claiming he 'doesn't understand the English game'. Oh he definitely understands the English game (I think reading his philosophy and being a scout makes him pretty more capable of understanding the English game than the newspapers and idiots like Garth Crooks, Gary Pallister and the numbskulls on Soccer Saturday), the problem is he thinks the English model is not the way football should be played and quite rightly. Just because you don't adhere to tactics approved by the sheepskin wearing coat gaffers of yesterday (still approved by such cancerous managers today like Allardyce and Pulis) doesn't mean you don't understand the English game. Arsene Wenger came over to England in 1996 and completely changed the look of English football with his continental tactics and succeeded.

There seems to be this delusion that the English way is the right way, amongst all sections of the press, whether it is broadsheet or tabloid. I find it laughable then that they consider Liverpool to be a 'backwards' club when the whole English game is backwards, with English youngsters receiving piss poor coaching (unlike the top quality tens of thousands youth coaches in countries like Spain, Italy, etc). In my opinion, there is the right way (Andre Villas Boas, Wenger, etc) and there is the English way. AVB's coaching is becoming the norm in Europe and it would be wise to grab him before someone else does.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,987 posts | 222 
      Reply #91: May 20, 2012 09:45:52 pm
      he did not only manage Porto he managed Academica Coimbra as-well

Quick Reply