Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041560 times
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16238: Apr 21, 2014 08:22:22 pm
      the Brendan we see today is so far removed from that of the first season particularly the first half of the season.
      So I don't accept this bollox that people could see then that we would be here today. I never saw posts that were negative towards him merely posts wondering how this man was going to take us back to the top a man with so little experience of a club like ours.
      If you check his interviews out from his early days he didn't know when to stop talking but now every word is measured and meaningful.
      His improvements came when Sturridge came Jan to the end of last season we did very well and it looked good going forward.
      The fact is he is a far better man manager than anyone on this forum could have predicted and he seems to have improved every player even Gerrard.
      When you improve the team collectively by 5% then that is a massive improvement for the team.
      It may well be that our owners are not the best, not the most football savvy but maybe they are lucky ones.
      We got to the top of the league table because we now have a "team" and that includes Brendan and all his staff. The Anfield crowd is back in tune with the players and FSG have kept themselves in the back ground and that is exactly how it should be.
      Some of us have seen some fantastic teams some even go back to the 50's but I like what Alan Hansen said today when he said he had never played in a team like this that could destroy teams with pace and power. Nothing is new in football (although some like to think so ) but when Bill Shankly envisioned a "BASTION OF INVINCIBILITY" today is as close as we have ever been to that vision.He would be very proud of what the lads have achieved this season and his legacy is definitely safe in Brendan's hands

Bravo Walton, Bravo!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,112 posts | 2765 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16239: Apr 21, 2014 08:25:07 pm
      Jesus Christ he just gets it he just has it. That human touch, that touch of only being part of a bigger picture. Shanks, Bob, Joe Kenny and Rafa had it.

Class touch that.

Id wager that in time and by that I mean up to 3 years from now well be praising the day this man arrived

Think that was a good call
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,910 posts | 4976 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #16240: Apr 21, 2014 08:30:50 pm
      I have to admit that when he first came in I was apprehensive about hoe relatively inexperienced he was,
      But then again I hadn't done any research on him and was solely judging him by his work at Swans,

Like all new managers I was prepared to at least give him the 18 months FSG had afforded the king, at first with his tika taka style it did look promising but I knew that that type of football would not be sustainable,

Like everyone else I was growing to like the things he said and his mannerisms, and of course he himself was learning about our club,
      The man is simply a genius, it is an absolute pleasure to watch his team week in week out, it's fantastic what he has achieved and I for one am so so proud to be a Red,
      He has brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people and long may that continue,

What makes me even happier is that even if we just miss out on the title this season it's inevitable that under Brendan we will win it very soon, it's imminent no doubt about that at all.
      Fantastic manager, fantastic man, fantastic future  !

YNWA
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16241: Apr 21, 2014 08:44:48 pm
      And your early concerns were warranted eurored. It's a brave man who can stand up and admit he was wrong. I'm sure there were a load of others with the same doubts who were not brave enough to come out and spout it. Also the same few who are keeping very quiet about it now.
       Well done mate.

Thank you.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16242: Apr 21, 2014 09:27:23 pm
      the Brendan we see today is so far removed from that of the first season particularly the first half of the season.
      So I don't accept this bollox that people could see then that we would be here today. I never saw posts that were negative towards him merely posts wondering how this man was going to take us back to the top a man with so little experience of a club like ours.
      If you check his interviews out from his early days he didn't know when to stop talking but now every word is measured and meaningful.

His improvements came when Sturridge came Jan to the end of last season we did very well and it looked good going forward.
      The fact is he is a far better man manager than anyone on this forum could have predicted and he seems to have improved every player even Gerrard.
      When you improve the team collectively by 5% then that is a massive improvement for the team.
      It may well be that our owners are not the best, not the most football savvy but maybe they are lucky ones.
      We got to the top of the league table because we now have a "team" and that includes Brendan and all his staff. The Anfield crowd is back in tune with the players and FSG have kept themselves in the back ground and that is exactly how it should be.
      Some of us have seen some fantastic teams some even go back to the 50's but I like what Alan Hansen said today when he said he had never played in a team like this that could destroy teams with pace and power. Nothing is new in football (although some like to think so ) but when Bill Shankly envisioned a "BASTION OF INVINCIBILITY" today is as close as we have ever been to that vision.He would be very proud of what the lads have achieved this season and his legacy is definitely safe in Brendan's hands

Well, I think supporters of him did so because they believed he would. I don't think anyone would support him if they didn't think he was a winner.

And all that 'talk' and all that - again, it wasn't much of a problem. I can't remember any soundbite that is 'cringeworthy'. If the worst thing he said really was 'I believe we can get 2nd', well I think that's just needless nitpicking.

Whatever the case, if he goes through a tough period again, he fully warrants all backing considering what he has achieved. Sceptics might say 'yeah, well he hasn't achieved anything as he hasn't won anything'. But achievement was judged on getting in the Champions League within three years. He's done that ahead of schedule.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16243: Apr 21, 2014 10:59:15 pm
      I never saw posts that were negative towards him

Then you have selective blindness mate.

But we are doing so well, I won't bother looking for examples; but it would be better if we stopped pretending that people only had "healthy doubts" about our manager, because it's far from true.

There were lots of insinuations about his so called "inability" to lead us, as well as weekly over the top interpretation about every little thing he said on interviews, and many suggestions that he should be sacked after every defeat were very common in this forum.

You only need to go as far as the Hull City game earlier this season and you would think we were right in the middle of our worst season ever, judging by some of the nasty comments in here.

Now we are top though and the world is beautiful. All are welcome to realize what a great manager we have. I would prefer not to re-write history though ;D

And by the way, some posters have always believed in Brendan. He's surprised even his supporters, however, doing so well a lot faster than most expected. But a lot of people had faith in him and repeatedly reminded everyone that prior experience wasn't the most important thing to look for in a manager; and that we actually had a big history of doing well with relatively unknowns before.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16244: Apr 21, 2014 11:30:45 pm
      I had major doubts, not on his philosophy, but his unwilligness to change when it obviously wasn't working with the players he had at his disposal, as things started to improve following the arrival of Coutinho and Sturridge, I started to see a change in our approach and my doubts started to dwindle.

In the summer I said he was bullshitting the fans over Reina and I stand by that, don't hold any grudges or malice for that, the same way I said Suarez was bullshitting us the fans when he was saying he only wanted to leave because of the English Media, when I insisted it was all about champions league football, I was just about every ones favourite tw*t then, but was later proved right when Suarez down tools for a move to Arsenal, and for that I hold no grudge or malice.

I personally think I've been equally right and wrong about Rodgers, wouldn't say I've ever been overly critical or called for his head, just called a spade a spade as I always do as I've seen things unfold, same with Suarez.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16245: Apr 22, 2014 03:03:16 am

But we are doing so well, I won't bother looking for examples; but it would be better if we stopped pretending that people only had "healthy doubts" about our manager, because it's far from true.

There were lots of insinuations about his so called "inability" to lead us, as well as weekly over the top interpretation about every little thing he said on interviews, and many suggestions that he should be sacked after every defeat were very common in this forum.

You only need to go as far as the Hull City game earlier this season and you would think we were right in the middle of our worst season ever, judging by some of the nasty comments in here.

Now we are top though and the world is beautiful. All are welcome to realize what a great manager we have. I would prefer not to re-write history though ;D

And by the way, some posters have always believed in Brendan. He's surprised even his supporters, however, doing so well a lot faster than most expected. But a lot of people had faith in him and repeatedly reminded everyone that prior experience wasn't the most important thing to look for in a manager; and that we actually had a big history of doing well with relatively unknowns before.

Spot on Diego. There were never 'healthy doubts' - 544 pages of this thread seems to indicate some blazing arguments the faithful and the faithless along the way.

I had major doubts, not on his philosophy, but his unwilligness to change when it obviously wasn't working with the players he had at his disposal, as things started to improve following the arrival of Coutinho and Sturridge, I started to see a change in our approach and my doubts started to dwindle.

In the summer I said he was bullshitting the fans over Reina and I stand by that, don't hold any grudges or malice for that, the same way I said Suarez was bullshitting us the fans when he was saying he only wanted to leave because of the English Media, when I insisted it was all about champions league football, I was just about every ones favourite tw*t then, but was later proved right when Suarez down tools for a move to Arsenal, and for that I hold no grudge or malice.

I personally think I've been equally right and wrong about Rodgers, wouldn't say I've ever been overly critical or called for his head, just called a spade a spade as I always do as I've seen things unfold, same with Suarez.

I'm sure I had this conversation on this thread over a year ago. In my opinion he stuck with his philosophy for a reason which was a natural progression and process of education for both players and coaches. While some may believe that you accommodate your strategy depending on the players you have I certainly don't. I think that's short terminism and restrictive and if he had done that he would no longer be managing this club. There's no way we would be where we are now without that tough "induction" period of the first half of last season. It needed that stubbornness to stick to a plan and see it through and while our system had altered to a more direct and aggressive side it was still a system from the very outset that required the maximisation of players ability - technically, tactically and mentally. We couldn't have gone from playing the dreadful football at the end of 2011-2012 to playing the football we are now seeing from the first day of 2012-2013. The base was laid down from the very instant he stepped into this club and it was a simple case of the players having to get themselves up to a level that would allow the manager's system to succeed. Where most succeeded, only a few failed to do that. They now play for the likes of West Ham.
      « Last Edit: Apr 22, 2014 03:13:52 am by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16246: Apr 22, 2014 05:41:17 am

Holy sh*t Brian what is it with you, gotta be the messiah on Easyjet you mate.   ;) ;D :o
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16247: Apr 22, 2014 06:40:32 am

Great post. Says it all for me.

I had faith in him but never in a million years would I have foreseen this. I went along with the three year plan the club had and by the end of it we would be up there or thereabouts. I didn't think we'd win the title in three seasons but we would be in a position to then push on from the progress Brendan would of made with us and challenge to the top teams in the league. That meant continual CL qualification, steady improvement to the team and personnel.

To be at that stage within two seasons is almost a miracle. I don't know how he's done it and I don't think anyone else could of done the same with the team he took over.

And when most of this team was already at the club (and shows how Kenny/Comolli weren't clueless), it shows just how massive his job has been. Keep this up for a decade and he'll go down alongside Bob and Bill - maybe even overtake them.

Off the pitch, I don't get how people got irritated with what he said. I do remember getting annoyed when we wouldn't win and Brendan would come out praising the players saying it was a "fantastic performance" etc. But that's normal football fandom. I guess the shocking thing was Brendan had to battle the fans' opinions before he managed a game, while even Hodgson was given some time before the fans turned on him (and quickly).

From day one he has been genuine. The only thing that has changed is his weight and teeth ;D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #16248: Apr 22, 2014 09:00:55 am

Spot on Diego.

I criticised him from time to time so no point coming on here now saying I was fully behind him from day one as my posts are there for all to see. I wasn't one who was totally against Brendan, just had doubts about certain things, but I never expected to be sitting where we are now this time this season.

If being proven wrong about certain things means we sit top of the league with four to play then I'll take that.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16249: Apr 22, 2014 11:17:31 am
      I was 100% behind him and stuck up for him in many a row, but I couldn't in all honesty have predicted he'd have us five points clear in the league with a couple of games to go. The reality is he's surpassed absolutely everybody's expectations by a mile. Those that didn't want him now want him, those that doubted him don't doubt him anymore, and those that stuck up for him can't believe how good he actually is. Nobody called it right, and in fairness if the football world had realised how good he actually was we wouldn't have got him as our manager in the first place.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16250: Apr 22, 2014 11:19:32 am
      I was 100% behind him and stuck up for him in many a row, but I couldn't in all honesty have predicted he'd have us five points clear in the league with a couple of games to go. The reality is he's surpassed absolutely everybody's expectations by a mile. Those that didn't want him now want him, those that doubted him don't doubt him anymore, and those that stuck up for him can't believe how good he actually is. Nobody called it right, and in fairness if the football world had realised how good he actually was we wouldn't have got him as our manager in the first place.

I think we'd all agree that we need to tie him down to a longterm deal at any cost.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16251: Apr 22, 2014 11:22:07 am
      n my opinion he stuck with his philosophy for a reason which was a natural progression and process of education for both players and coaches. While some may believe that you accommodate your strategy depending on the players you have I certainly don't. I

At the time I just thought going with a strategy that fit the players would have been best for results as points ultimately dictate where you finish in the league, I had no problem with the philosophy as such, just thought at the time a gradual evolution of the philosophy as the players arrived to execute it would have been better for the squad in the short term.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16252: Apr 22, 2014 11:22:42 am
      Not for me, Rush. I didn't want Kenny sacked but didn't hold his sacking against Rodgers. It's all about results for managers, end of story.   

We have the lowest points at this stage of the season since Souness.
      We're out of both domestic cups already against clubs with far smaller budgets.
      We look to be going out in Europe in the 1st knock out game.
      We're 12 points off 4th with 12 games to go to a Tottenham team who lost Modric and Van der Vaart and got a new manager who got sacked from Chelsea and had less experience in the Premier league than Rodgers.
      We haven't beaten a team above us in the league all season.
      Our new manager spent  £30m of a limited budget on bench players Allen, Borini and Assaidi.
      We  most probably won't be in Europe next season and ergo Suarez might decide to take a big offer to leave.
      Rodger's CV doesn't give us anything to prove he is good enough for the top level, like Benitez's did when he arrived.
      Our defending is noticeably poorer under Rodgers and hasn't improved all season.

I think Rodgers should be given next season, unless things really fall apart from here. Not because I think he will turn out to be good enough for this club, but because we're a proper football club who give people a fair chance.

this was just 14  months ago and it was a fair reflection of our position.If people changed the word "belief or believe" to "hope" than I would accept their trust in him but as of Feb last year we were still in turmoil both on and off the pitch.
      What has changed ?. Being able to have one game a week to prepare for, tactics that are fluid and the players are largely free to play football.
      A master stroke of putting Stevie deeper into a different role,being adamant the Sturridge and Suarez will play together when fit.All tremendously positive stuff from Brendan but Feb 2013 was a totally different picture.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16253: Apr 22, 2014 11:27:56 am
      But can he do it next season though :D  :roll:  :f_tongueincheek:

The pressure will be on next season 10 fold, expectations raised, Champions League Football, repeat similar results in the league & a decent  cup run, not much to ask :)

Hope FSG back him in the summer.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16254: Apr 22, 2014 12:42:01 pm

The pressure will be on next season 10 fold, expectations raised, Champions League Football, repeat similar results in the league & a decent  cup run, not much to ask :)

I think he will do very well in the CL and provided FSG give him the support with the players he needs we will challenge in the league too
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16255: Apr 22, 2014 01:02:53 pm

Name and shame.

Where's KopiteLuke  :lmao:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16256: Apr 22, 2014 01:08:21 pm

Chelsea fans have been asking similar questions.  :f_tongueincheek:
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16257: Apr 22, 2014 01:22:54 pm
      Kind words for Brendan from Dr Steve Peters.

Brendan Rodgers: Liverpool boss compared to Sir Dave Brailsford

The psychologist who will accompany the England squad to Brazil for the World Cup finals has likened Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers to ex-British Cycling team boss Sir Dave Brailsford.

Dr Steve Peters has been working closely with title-chasing Liverpool.

Rodgers has guided the Reds to within touching distance of their first league title in 24 years.

Dr Peters told the Radio Times that Rodgers was "very psychologically minded" like Brailsford.
      Brailsford, 50, led Great Britain to eight gold medals at both the Beijing and London Olympics and transformed the sport during his 10-year reign. before quitting as performance director earlier this month.
      Dr Peters, who stepped down at the same time as the GB cycling team's psychiatrist, said both men were "very challenging", adding that Rodgers "wants to make sure he's got it right. He will question what I do, engage with it.
      "To me, it is just magic to work with somebody like that. You work as a team again.
      "And I can't tell him what to do. He will say to me: 'What do you suggest? What do you recommend?"'

Dr Peters, who has a long and varied history of assignments, has helped cycling stars such as Tour de France winner Sir Bradley Wiggins and another Olympic gold medallist, Victoria Pendleton.
      He is credited by Ronnie O'Sullivan as having spurred him to his last two world snooker titles and Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard says he may not have recovered from a career-threatening injury had it not been for the psychologist's help.

"I can't make people win," said Dr Peters. "All I can do is, with your help, increase the probability of winning."
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27107764
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16258: Apr 22, 2014 01:28:30 pm
      I don't think there is any problem in doubting various aspects of a managers abilities as long as you are respectful and give valid reasons for the doubts.

I have had plenty of doubts about Brendan, most of which have now faded away.... just needs to show he can be successful in the transfer market now.

Very happy with Brendan, delighted with what he has achieved and looking forward to what he will achieve over the next few years.   
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #16259: Apr 22, 2014 01:28:52 pm
      I wasn't convinced - right up to the turn of the year I still had reservations and my posts are there to be seen.

He's proved more flexible and tactical overall - but more especially "in-game" - since then than I thought he was capable of. Nowhere did I see the form and run of 2014 on the horizon and he has to take a huge amount of the credit for that.

Of course he's got things wrong along the way since he came in and will continue to - it's right and proper that people point this out. But by god he hasn't got much wrong this season!

He's done more than make us dream...he's got us expecting again.

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #16260: Apr 22, 2014 01:40:27 pm

Of course he's got things wrong along the way since he came in and will continue to - it's right and proper that people point this out. But by god he hasn't got much wrong this season!

I remember talking about this a while ago. Brendan has obviously made a few mistakes in his time here, but what impressed me, especially this season when things have started to come together, is that he always seemed to learn from his mistakes and was willing to adapt.

He had a clear idea of how he wanted us to play but I think he's been pragmatic enough to realise that better results might be achieved if he tweaked his ideas and adapted a little.

Quick Reply