Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032313 times
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #17480: Sep 21, 2014 07:13:49 am
      Short memories from some!  It was BR that took us to 2nd last season, we overachieved with the squad we had.  We had a team full of players that wouldn't make the City team that we pushed all the way (bar a few).

We played with Brendan's tactics, not F***ing Suarez's. Brendan got the best out of Luis,  not the other way round,  now he will get the best out of Can,  Lallana, Markovic, Mario etc, when he's given time to let the team gell.

gagan4016
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #17481: Sep 21, 2014 08:35:30 am
      Too early to judge !! BR just needs to boost some confidence, work some tactics to get goals out of them. IMO, Mario is still not getting the proper supply ... final pass is not quality. despite of poor performances, coutinho should be given more chance ...Gerrard needs to buckle up big time ...BR needs his quality and leadership in mid field.. We have got a very new bunch of players trying to cement their positions in the team...it will take time to get the best XI out of them...Just two problems to be resolved, Defensive problems  ( set pieces) and goal making problem... sooner rather than later, BR will solve them.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #17482: Sep 21, 2014 09:23:54 am
      I think a top 6 or 7 position will be enough to keep Brendan in a job (and I don't expect us to fall lower than that! ) this season.

I do believe he has a problem with his strikers. Lambert and Balotelli don't really look to me as an ideal partnership and while I think Sturridge can play with either of them, if he is out for a while I think we will struggle.

The one bright spot for Brendan has been Sterling, he has been far and away our best player so far this season and if he keeps up his present form I think a cup is possible.

I would take a cup and top four now if it was offered. (hopefully the CL :) )

Yeah it is the forward line that may kill us this season. I completely understood bringing in Lambert as a change up option because we we're missing that sort of player last season, particularly against the bus parkers when plan a wasn't working. I also understood the move for Remy, he has some similarities to Sturridge in that his movement is good, he is mobile can lead the line and play as a lone front man. Obviously that deal fell through and we went for Balotelli but mad Mario is another target man, similar in many way to Rickie so the minute Sturridge gets injured we've got a problem haven't we. A big enough problem to force Brendan to start the invisible and woefully short of talent Borini yesterday. Will have to pray Studge can stay fit and fix it in January I think.
      ruthcity

• 6,868 posts | 1465 
      Reply #17483: Sep 21, 2014 09:46:57 am
      Wow! A couple of bad days at the office and a not so exceptional start to the season and we have turned against the Boss.

This is the time when the boss needs our support, not when we are winning.
      No we don't turn against him. We bi*ch about the results and we put pressure on him to perform. We are not against him. We just want to see results.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #17484: Sep 21, 2014 10:47:00 am
      It's not that simple.

Um, yes, it is.

BR is incompetent, even a child can realize it. He just doesn't know what he's doing. We have some good players, but as a team we are a disaster area. Thoroughly battered by City, outsmarted and outplayed by Aston Villa, and now by Fat Sam, where are we going? BR's management is random, and now that he doesn't have Luis Suárez to work magic and win the matches for him we are being hit by the truth: randomness doesn't build a team. Our playing style hasn't changed, we still have most players from last season, why the ghastly difference? Because Luis isn't here anymore, that's why. BR is now on his own. And he's a lousy manager.

I said it long ago: we should have supported King Kenny. Sacking him was a big mistake.

And to think some posters are writing that BR is "young" and will need some years to "learn his job". Well, isn't that wonderful? That's Liverpool for you, that's what we have become: an educational toy for bampot managers. How have the mighty fallen.  :(

;D.

Step away from the glue my friend.
      redindian
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,955 posts | 234 
      Reply #17485: Sep 21, 2014 10:51:43 am
      Not the group that criticizes, Ruth. Nobody is above criticism, not even the king.

I am talking about the set of people that says he is incompetent, the group that wants him gone at the end of the season if he doesn't win a trophy.  If you had asked me on Sep 1, I would have wanted us to consolidate our top 4 credentials (with Luis gone) and qualify for the round of 16 in CL. Yes, this club exists to win trophies. But, at this point in time, I would have considered a trip to Wembley a nicety than a necessity after what we have gone through since 08-09.  What we have lacked in the last 5 years is stability and consistency. That is of paramount importance now.

Would you sack him at the end of the season if he doesn't meet the expectations? Realistically, what do you think is our target this season?
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #17486: Sep 21, 2014 10:54:04 am
      A very fair point.

Luis is an almost one off player who I still think is under rated by many inside and outside the game. I know it sounds silly but he is a phenomenon and only maybe our fans realise how good he actually is.

I'm not going to rip into Brendan tonight as I still think he is trying to work out how we play without Luis and fit his new players into the side but I do have a fear that he is still trying to keep everyone happy instead of just picking what he thinks is his best side.

Cheers, much appreciated.

I agree with your point about Suarez. As I said at the time, Brendan abandoned his original plan of 1433 Sterile domination because he didn't have the players through the spine of the team (apart from Pepe)  to play a high pressing possession-based system. Clearly, it was worth doing to utilise Stevie and Luis's talents but it took him a year and a half to crack the puzzle.

Now we have an even harder conundrum which is how to replace the influence of Suarez - something that may prove to be impossible.

We could be looking at another season before we can even start to judge whether we have ben successful.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #17487: Sep 21, 2014 11:06:54 am
      If Brendan had balls he'd go with this side when fully fit.
                                     Mignolet

Manquillo      Skrtel     Lovren      Moreno

Can          Henderson 

Sterling                                    Markovic

Balotelli

Sturridge

Can providing the defensive cover with Henderson having he energy to be supporting attacks while being fit enough to track back and help Can with defensive duties.

Markovic and Sterling bossing each wings interchanging with Balotelli who can come deep while Sturridge makes the runs in behind.

The reason I put this on this thread is because this comes down to Brendan making the choice to drop Gerrard from his starting 11. Because with Gerrard his formation wouldn't work as he can't have a partner for whatever reason he seems worse in a 2 man midfield, Lucas/Henderson. So Brendan needs to see if I take out Gerrard how can I get the best out of my team and for me that is the side, maybe dropping Markovic more centrally and having Lallana come in for Balotelli at times if the link up play isn't quick enough.

But Brendan needs to make a big change soon before the season gets away from us.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17488: Sep 21, 2014 11:24:00 am
      Wow it didn't take long for the knifes to come out, despite the fact that he's already shown how he can adapt a team, improve his players and get us playing fantastic football.

He's lost Luis and is having to adapt how we play to accommodate that loss and he's having to do it with the loss of his other top scorer to injury, his "brains of the team" to bad form and had 3 new defenders thrown in at the deep end because of injuries.

I'm not making excuses for him I just wanted to add some perspective to where we're at and a little belief that he'll get it right.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #17489: Sep 21, 2014 11:45:06 am
      no criticism of Brendan today I would rather lose than win that way its not LFC to be negative.

LookLooking back, I'd rather us win nand play negative opposed to lose and play negative which is very much the case this season.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #17490: Sep 21, 2014 11:55:18 am
      Wow it didn't take long for the knifes to come out, despite the fact that he's already shown how he can adapt a team, improve his players and get us playing fantastic football.

He's lost Luis and is having to adapt how we play to accommodate that loss and he's having to do it with the loss of his other top scorer to injury, his "brains of the team" to bad form and had 3 new defenders thrown in at the deep end because of injuries.

I'm not making excuses for him I just wanted to add some perspective to where we're at and a little belief that he'll get it right.

How can a team that was so close to winning the PL last season disintegrate so quickly at the loss of one player having spent £100M on so called quality players?

The insistence of accomodating a contoller at the back and having no other ways of playing is making us so predictable and easy to play against us.
      Simply the opposition sticks a marker on our controller and not only does this ensure the ball does not make its way up to attack but because the wide players have gone up field up waiting for the shotgun pass we are left exposed to the counter.
      To even consider Gerrard and Lucas in the same midfield - schoolboy error.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #17491: Sep 21, 2014 12:01:11 pm
      How can a team that was so close to winning the PL last season disintegrate so quickly at the loss of one player having spent £100M on so called quality players?

Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #17492: Sep 21, 2014 12:38:22 pm
      Yeah I wouldn't be so quick to get the daggers out for the gaffer either, a few might but I think most of us on this forum know enough about the game to see that Brendan is a pretty clever fella who won't be blind to the problems we have got at the moment. He has made some errors this season but he has proved in the past that he doesn't generally repeat them (although the Gerrard-Lucas run out that nearly cost us against Saints first game was repeated here I don't think we will see it again).

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Reply #17493: Sep 21, 2014 12:45:30 pm
      (although the Gerrard-Lucas run out that nearly cost us against Saints first game was repeated here I don't think we will see it again).

I said that after the Saints game and didn't think I'd say it again but surely Brendan has seen it once and for all. Although to be fair we had few options yesterday.
      Rush Goalie
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,234 posts | 261 
      Reply #17494: Sep 21, 2014 12:49:24 pm
      I wouldn't have sacked Kenny Dalglish personally but then again I didn't expect us to finish 2nd last season so the Rogers appointment has worked out a good one. Talk of the sack for Brendan at this stage is ridiculous, the loss of Suarez would weaken any team but he's gone so that can't be changed, I must admit though I did think in the summer we are Liverpool who went within a whisker of winning the PL was signing three Southampton players a good move?
      If we don't win anything and fail to make the top four Brendan's job will be massively under threat but there's plenty time yet. Results like yesterday just make not winning the league last year all the worse as seems at the moment we are miles away again...sorry lads I'm just being mard the dummy has been well and truly spat  :f_wah:
      RedWilly

• 9,147 posts | 1619 
      Reply #17495: Sep 21, 2014 12:54:44 pm
      It's not that simple.

Um, yes, it is.

BR is incompetent, even a child can realize it. He just doesn't know what he's doing. We have some good players, but as a team we are a disaster area. Thoroughly battered by City, outsmarted and outplayed by Aston Villa, and now by Fat Sam, where are we going? BR's management is random, and now that he doesn't have Luis Suárez to work magic and win the matches for him we are being hit by the truth: randomness doesn't build a team. Our playing style hasn't changed, we still have most players from last season, why the ghastly difference? Because Luis isn't here anymore, that's why. BR is now on his own. And he's a lousy manager.

I said it long ago: we should have supported King Kenny. Sacking him was a big mistake.

And to think some posters are writing that BR is "young" and will need some years to "learn his job". Well, isn't that wonderful? That's Liverpool for you, that's what we have become: an educational toy for bampot managers. How have the mighty fallen.  :(

You're a c**t, you barely posted all last season and as soon as things go slightly tits up you're out with your knife, with no constructive criticism. Fans like you make me sick, it's as if you want us to suffer so that you can then vent and moan about it and spread nonsense.

Brendan needs to take a long, hard look at the defence and put some focus on it because we know he can solve the problems going forward.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #17496: Sep 21, 2014 01:11:40 pm
      I said that after the Saints game and didn't think I'd say it again but surely Brendan has seen it once and for all. Although to be fair we had few options yesterday.

I think Brendan started with Lucas yesterday because against Fat Sam's yard dogs we needed players who would stand and fight and presumably Lallana, Markovic and Coutinho were considered a little lightweight for that role.

I think that if Lucas has to play with Gerrard again (due to injuries or the world ending etc etc) I would play Lucas as the Defensive midfielder and release Gerrard to play further forward for that particular game. 

I thought Brendan's early reaction and subs showed courage... not so sure they were the correct subs, but he showed decisiveness.

We learned a lot yesterday, I am sure Brendan learned a lot more and will ensure the mistakes we made with team selection won't happen again.

Certainly Lambert and Balotelli should never be used as a partnership again and that 3 at the back (if indeed it WAS 3 at the back) makes Gerrard's role more difficult if not obsolete.   

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #17497: Sep 21, 2014 01:16:09 pm
      I did think it might take a while for this team to gel, but injuries, loss of form and the constant chopping and changing that ensues hasn't helped.  Saying that, we looked woeful at times versus West Ham and, although I've defended him a lot, when Lucas is your best performing midfielder,  you need to take a look at things.  The biggest question for me though, considering the chopping and changing,  was it really necessary to bring Skrtel straight back in? Rodgers has some work to do.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #17498: Sep 21, 2014 02:21:45 pm
      You're a c**t, you barely posted all last season and as soon as things go slightly tits up you're out with your knife, with no constructive criticism. Fans like you make me sick, it's as if you want us to suffer so that you can then vent and moan about it and spread nonsense.

Brendan needs to take a long, hard look at the defence and put some focus on it because we know he can solve the problems going forward.

That particular poster has been the subject of similar comment with the feminine genitalia noun used for good measure on several previous  occasions, very well deserved it's got to be said.

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #17499: Sep 21, 2014 03:26:09 pm
      No doubt the pressure is on & it comes in the form of adding too many players to a team & expecting the same results of the previous season.

To be honest I think we are going to struggle this season as it moves along.
      Nene
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 167 posts |
      Reply #17500: Sep 21, 2014 07:32:02 pm
      It's not that simple.

Um, yes, it is.

;D.

Whatever you want, mate. If you think we should be chirpy about it, I'm all right with that.

HAH HAH HAH BAMPOT RODGERS LOST AGAIN hee hee he totally made a fool of himself oh the ridicule hahaha Fat Sam sank Liverpool and it's so funny BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH

Our manager is a numpty BUT THAT'S FINE 'CAUSE WE DON'T MIND LOSING HAW HAW so what if he doesn't know how to defend HE'S HERE TO LEARN HIS TRADE OH YEAH LIVERPOOL IS JUST HIS EDUCATIVE TOY HEE HEE HAH HAH one day he'll become a good manager and then he'll leave us for a bigger job in Spain or Italy OH WOW SO COOL and we don't miss Kenny one bit HAH HAH HAH SNORT GUFFAW GUFFAW

Hey, guess what? You were right, Hollywood, old chap. I feel better already.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #17501: Sep 21, 2014 07:46:18 pm
      Jesus the haters are already out for the Gaffer. Fack sake. He has his system, his style and the players are not performing. Yes he has made some mistakes but he has hardly to blame for lack of creativity, energy and precision passing and pace. The players are muck at the minute. When they perform BR looks great.

His flaws are there to pick at, but every manager has flaws. Case n Point; Today Maureen goes to park the bus against a 10 man City and concedes the draw. Managers are not perfect BUT we may just have an ace in the hole here with a VERY young manager who when his philosophy comes off, the team play amazing football and destroy teams. Suarez left, nothing to do with the manager, and a perfect replacement wasnt available within our constraints. Heres hoping we get the luck we need and Sturridge stays fit, Markovic beds in, Balo and Studge run a muck, Sterling continues to run a muck, CBs gel, Migs grows a spine and Gerrard sheds 3 years.

The Gaffer will get things wrong but he is a GREAT Manager and we need him for the next 10 years to win this league. Not saying it will take that long. We keep changing and we will be fu**ed. He is the man to restore the great days and he has started, get your head out of the sh*te and see we are in CL, suddenly teams are respecting us enough to park the bus, which we cant break as of yet.

IBWT
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #17502: Sep 21, 2014 08:15:47 pm
      ;D.

Whatever you want, mate. If you think we should be chirpy about it, I'm all right with that.

HAH HAH HAH BAMPOT RODGERS LOST AGAIN hee hee he totally made a fool of himself oh the ridicule hahaha Fat Sam sank Liverpool and it's so funny BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH

Our manager is a numpty BUT THAT'S FINE 'CAUSE WE DON'T MIND LOSING HAW HAW so what if he doesn't know how to defend HE'S HERE TO LEARN HIS TRADE OH YEAH LIVERPOOL IS JUST HIS EDUCATIVE TOY HEE HEE HAH HAH one day he'll become a good manager and then he'll leave us for a bigger job in Spain or Italy OH WOW SO COOL and we don't miss Kenny one bit HAH HAH HAH SNORT GUFFAW GUFFAW

Hey, guess what? You were right, Hollywood, old chap. I feel better already.

Do they know your restraints are off?

Quick Reply