Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3044239 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #18653: Oct 25, 2014 11:09:06 pm
      yes, but they made good signings that improved those teams ... if we made equally good ones we would have fought for the title this year, chelsea by far did the best business on the transfer market
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18654: Oct 25, 2014 11:10:56 pm
      Committee or not, did Brendan not say he has the final say?
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #18655: Oct 25, 2014 11:11:14 pm
      we've got Newcastle away before Real away then Chelsea visit us followed by a nice trip back down to Selhurst Park again...
      He simply has to start getting results otherwise we will be in deep sh*t !!
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #18656: Oct 25, 2014 11:12:03 pm
      And not one of them will be in the top 4 come the end of the season. We will.

bold statement! 

let's hope you're right.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18657: Oct 25, 2014 11:13:15 pm
      After Real on Tuesday we've got Newcastle away before Chelsea visit us then a nice trip back down to Selhurst Park again...
      He simply has to start getting results otherwise we will be in deep sh*t !!

that's why we had to win the game vs hull
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #18658: Oct 25, 2014 11:14:15 pm
      that's why we had to win the game vs hull

I know mate.. sorry, I've edited my post.. we're away at st James park before the Real game..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18659: Oct 25, 2014 11:46:15 pm
      Why is Rodgers not picking Lucas to start for us? Can't get worse than what we have out there?.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #18660: Oct 26, 2014 12:01:50 am
      And not one of them will be in the top 4 come the end of the season. We will.

Sure you could say they are having a purple patch but when you look at their first XI, it's pretty darn decent. Things can only get worse for then and for us, hopefully better. Here was a real chance to close the gap on City and we blew it.

Why Coutinho was benched is beyond me. Our best player over last 3-4 games by some distance.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,256 posts | 6364 
      Reply #18661: Oct 26, 2014 12:43:24 am
      bold statement! 

let's hope you're right.

I'm a bold type of guy.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18662: Oct 26, 2014 06:25:19 am
      Committee or not, did Brendan not say he has the final say?

Maybe he does,  maybe he doesn't! But surely the manager should have the first and last say when it comes to player recruitment, not get to choose between players that are offered to him by the committee!

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #18663: Oct 26, 2014 06:49:50 am
      Think we just need to get back to basics Brendan.....here's a little reminder...
      www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1lN7iGxA6_w

That did my old heart the world of good, it is worth noting though that the players in the video all had their hearts in Liverpool Football club. It was also good to see Joe Fagan explaining what he wanted and the players listening and learning.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #18664: Oct 26, 2014 07:39:32 am

I'm not suggesting you're starting flames mate, and I would not be so presumptuous to suggest your views are wrong. I'm simply advising you that recently, all you've posted is negativity when there are positives to be had, which is why you've had hostility directed towards you. You might want to be more balanced in your posting. It's just friendly advice, take it as you will :)

You're right, lately i was very negative, but if you look in my last season's posts you'll see that i was very positive about our team and manager, and i was sure that we'll win the title, but things that happened throughout the last season's weeks changed my view on things, you know, all of us had the same opinion as me about the manager, the last season's form made us tolerate the way the club is run (mainly from a technical point of view).

I still believe Fenway are the ones to take us forward, they did a good job at Red Sox, and here so far they did ok, it wasn't their fault that some transfers were wrong (carroll, downing, adam, etc.), because from what i see, they give full credit, maybe a bit too much, to the manager regarding transfers.

And i tell you what, albeit Chelsea, there isn't a single club in the league that stands out, if Arsenal signed Fabregas or Barca didn't sell him, the EPL was still for the taking, even with our poor form. Maybe if Sturridge didn't get injured we would have been in top 2 now. Of course we shouldn't rely only on one player, who isn't world class quality to say so, and at times frustrating with his selfishness,  he's in a great form yes, but injury prone also. We should have a plan B.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #18665: Oct 26, 2014 08:21:08 am
      Thank God the manager had more patience than the fans, or all the Sturridge would be the only player left at the club!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #18666: Oct 26, 2014 08:28:34 am
      You're right, lately i was very negative, but if you look in my last season's posts you'll see that i was very positive about our team and manager, and i was sure that we'll win the title, but things that happened throughout the last season's weeks changed my view on things, you know, all of us had the same opinion as me about the manager, the last season's form made us tolerate the way the club is run (mainly from a technical point of view).

How is any of the above positive?
      Your reference to last season and a denial of negativity is washed away with your snipe at BR's methods, no mention of course of the skeleton, injury ravaged squad he was forced to juggle while still achieving an entirely unexpected and laudable second place in the league.
      Some would  call it an over-achievement, borne out by our form in CL which we are again ill-equipped to offer a credible  challenge in the light of a hurried attempt to reinforce said skeleton squad.   

I still believe Fenway are the ones to take us forward, they did a good job at Red Sox, and here so far they did ok, it wasn't their fault that some transfers were wrong (carroll, downing, adam, etc.), because from what i see, they give full credit, maybe a bit too much, to the manager regarding transfers.

Ah some genuine positivity at last - albeit totally affected and misplaced.
      You claim to have confidence in FSG because of their control of an entirely different game and club that receives what some would describe as disproportionate financial fillip from the owners, ensconced 3,000 miles from LFC in the Redsox hometown.
      The Carroll, Downing and Adam nutmeg with the FSG appointed Comolli fly in the ointment conundrum has been foisted and pissed on numerous times on this forum, to raise the decoy again questions your motives.   

And i tell you what, albeit Chelsea, there isn't a single club in the league that stands out, if Arsenal signed Fabregas or Barca didn't sell him, the EPL was still for the taking, even with our poor form. Maybe if Sturridge didn't get injured we would have been in top 2 now. Of course we shouldn't rely only on one player, who isn't world class quality to say so, and at times frustrating with his selfishness,  he's in a great form yes, but injury prone also. We should have a plan B.conundrum

We shouldn't rely on one player and if the Suarez debacle had not been mishandled the way it was and adequate provision made for his totally expected departure, instead of monotonous statements of financial prudence, we could have a credible title challenging set-up.
      We cannot afford a plan B not having the means for such a structure.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #18667: Oct 26, 2014 08:47:01 am
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29774864

Mario Balotelli: Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers backs striker

Mario Balotelli received praise from Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers despite the £16m striker again failing to score in a goalless draw with Hull.
      The Italian, 24, signed for the Reds in August but has not netted in seven Premier League games and missed two excellent chances at Anfield.

"I thought he worked very well, very hard," said Reds manager Rodgers.

... but didnt score.
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #18668: Oct 26, 2014 09:12:36 am
      Drawing at home to Hull is unacceptable boss.

They had 5 defenders and we went with a lone striker who is incredibly immobile.

Could of been 1 point off City and we all would be very positive, but his decisions cost us today.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18669: Oct 26, 2014 09:59:01 am
      apparently the criteria for being a forward these days is just hard work.
      He isn't going to "come good" because he never has been good. He is one of these lads who at 19 had bags of potential but he just has not developed as a person or a player
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,423 posts | 4581 
      Reply #18670: Oct 26, 2014 10:11:02 am
      Few tweets mentioning the Boss renting Gerrards old Manor.

Bit awkward.

@JimBoardman: Gerrard starts every game, regardless of form. Coincidentally: "Brendan Rodgers renting Steven Gerrard's house. http://t.co/uzz7NofIpp"
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18671: Oct 26, 2014 10:21:42 am
      I was thinking we buy players with potential even at a price which should ensure first team football,
      Isn't this what FSG did when employing Brendan a manager with potential.
      I understand why people got excited by him when he came he talked the talk and last year he looked very comfortable at the top of the table.
      the success of last year was in large part to a certain Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge. We knew Luis was going and that we would command a huge fee leaving us with just one top quality striker.
      So how did we end up with Riki lambert Fabio Borini and Mario Balotelli as our only striking options after Daniel was injured.
      Now part of being a top manager is realising weakness in your team or your staff and Brendan has to accept the transfer committee and his coaching staff are not GOOD ENOUGH and he needs to take the bull by the horns and sort them both out. If he doesn't ultimately he will pay.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #18672: Oct 26, 2014 10:29:29 am
      And their changing room presence alone would of helped. Bring back Dirk while we are at it.

Its farcical to think Dirk wouldn't get into this team.He should never have been sold but its clear now Brendan did a hatchet job on anyone who he didn't feel comfortable with
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #18673: Oct 26, 2014 11:17:03 am
      I was thinking we buy players with potential even at a price which should ensure first team football,
      Isn't this what FSG did when employing Brendan a manager with potential.
      I understand why people got excited by him when he came he talked the talk and last year he looked very comfortable at the top of the table.
      the success of last year was in large part to a certain Luis Suarez and Daniel Sturridge. We knew Luis was going and that we would command a huge fee leaving us with just one top quality striker.
      So how did we end up with Riki lambert Fabio Borini and Mario Balotelli as our only striking options after Daniel was injured.
      Now part of being a top manager is realising weakness in your team or your staff and Brendan has to accept the transfer committee and his coaching staff are not GOOD ENOUGH and he needs to take the bull by the horns and sort them both out. If he doesn't ultimately he will pay.

FSG's tenet of pinpointing potential as opposed to shelling out big money for credible, acknowledged skill appears to be implemented on selective occasions only; those times when it is of value in keeping the funds in the bank.
      In spite of the Suarez 85m spondoolies windfall signing players who could be described as past their best was the way to go it was decided, an economical decision if ever there was one; quantity not quality obviously a factor in the deal.
      What is noticeable by it's absence is the 'potential' ingredient, conveniently misplaced for financial reasons or to use the vernacular ''to save a few bob'', hardly the conduct of a long-term investor and reminiscent of a second-hand car dealer.

Spend some real money on the investment for fucks sake.     
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #18674: Oct 26, 2014 11:46:04 am
      Its farcical to think Dirk wouldn't get into this team.He should never have been sold but its clear now Brendan did a hatchet job on anyone who he didn't feel comfortable with

Just a question

Do you think that Brendan is somehow insecure or intimidated by certain players?
      LFC-LCFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,766 posts | 128 
      • Adopted Scouser
      Reply #18675: Oct 26, 2014 11:55:52 am
      The boss is being let down by his players and an injury to our main striker, as far as I can see it. Too many hard-luck stories out on the pitch at the minute.

Signing Mario was a move we all praised at the time. In hindsight though, there are so many decent strikers in all the European leagues that surely there must have been someone who would have at least fit in with our style of play?

It does piss you off when you see teams in our league signing cheap players, especially strikers, who play with a high workrate whilst knocking them in for fun. What is the point of that transfer committee? Aspas and Balotelli combined is enough reason to get rid.

Quick Reply