Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041404 times
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #20838: Nov 24, 2014 10:49:41 pm

You having a laugh....one can't set up a defence one to scared to set up an attack, been supporting this club for many a year and neither should be revered in my opinion. No wind up but a footballing opinion.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #20839: Nov 24, 2014 11:08:14 pm
      Glad the owners are backing him, he'll need 2 or 3 months to turn this around I think. Just hope we can win one of the cups to help ease the pain of this league campaign.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20840: Nov 24, 2014 11:15:30 pm
      You having a laugh....one can't set up a defence one to scared to set up an attack, been supporting this club for many a year and neither should be revered in my opinion. No wind up but a footballing opinion.

And Kenny?
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #20841: Nov 24, 2014 11:19:25 pm

Great man took us to Wembley but was out the game to long.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #20842: Nov 24, 2014 11:27:16 pm
      When did anyone say he was "single handedly" responsible for "shipping 50 goals"?

The fact is we have conceded many more goals per game since he has been playing in that position. That's acceptable when he was providing assists and using his passing range for Sturridge and Suarex to score but while they're not here the cost of those conceded goals is too high.

What is the basis of your indignation? Did you not see how easily people were running past him in the last match?

Yep I saw it same as you but I also saw how easily they skipped passed every one else as well only by your logic its all his fault , we wull just have to agree to disagree on it thats the end of it for me the whole team is playing piss poor not just him , if singling him out makes you happy crack on , I dont think it is the end of him just yet .
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #20843: Nov 25, 2014 12:04:23 am
      Great man took us to Wembley but was out the game to long.

At least we agree on something then. Kenny is a great man and he did take us to Wembley.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #20844: Nov 25, 2014 02:08:51 am
      My biggest issue with Brendan is that he seems to have lost his vision for how he wants us to play.  When he was at Swansea, he knew exactly how he wanted them to play.  He set them up with a target CF, pacey wingers, and a 3 man midfield.  They were instructed to keep possession, draw teams out of their defensive shell, and then exploit the spaces that would open up when teams would push further and further up the pitch in search of the ball.  It worked for Swansea because teams usually fancied their chances to take points off a team who was in the lower leagues of English football only a few years ago.  Teams would get sucked into chasing the ball and Swansea would pick them off.

When he first came to Liverpool, he started with the same philosophy -- death by football -- but it didn't last long.  He realized that many teams were content to sit deep, let us keep possession, wait for us to over commit men forward, and hit us on the break.  So, he adjusted the tactics.  We started to play a bit more direct and tried to jump on top of teams in the first 20 minutes of games.  This shift was effective -- we started winning more games and keeping possession became a way for us to defend a lead rather than go in search of goals.  These tactics helped us to a pretty enjoyable season last year, even if we didn't get the league title we've all been craving. 

However, this season seems to be different.... he seems to have gone backwards in his thinking.  We are no longer coming out of the gates 100 mph and trying to jump on top of teams.  We are not playing the direct attack minded footie that was so effective last season.  We seem to have reverted to keeping sterile possession, constantly playing sideways and backwards, and waiting for other teams to give up rather than taking the game to them.  Something needs to change, because what we are doing at the moment isn't working.  Playing a lone striker who has no support or reliable service isn't working.  Playing a 3 man midfield with Stevie in the quarterback role isn't working.  Playing a Skrtel-Lovren partnership in defense isn't working.  He needs to adjust the tactics and team setup again.  It's all well and good wanting to play footie a certain way, but if it isn't working (for whatever reason) then you need to change things up.  It isn't working, so he needs to adjust the tactics.  If we have to adopt a more pragmatic and direct approach in order to secure more points, then that is what needs to be done.  You don't win trophies on style points. 

I hope BR can get it right because I do like him and I want him to be successful.  However, if he is unable (or unwilling) to change our approach and get us back to winning ways then we will need to find a manager who can.  As always, I'll support him as long as he's our manager, but I fear his time is wearing thin.....
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #20845: Nov 25, 2014 02:39:22 am
      I have the distinct feeling that Rodgers might not be around for much longer. He and the team will have to start producing results or he might not see the new year at LFC. It's crunch time. And some of the passengers on the pitch need to step up or step aside.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #20846: Nov 25, 2014 08:21:09 am
      Coming up to January and just been thinking about the signings Rodgers has made over the last 3 seasons and really there's only Coutinho that excites me, I'd be wary of letting Rodgers loose with a £250.00 Argos voucher at the moment never mind a multi million pound transfer budget.

Which is a bit of dilemma for me, I've never took to Rodgers as a person and had doubts from the start about his stubbornness and unwillingness to deviate from his philosophy, but 6 months into his tenure as you started to see things come together I thought F**k it, buckle up and enjoy the ride as he started to win me over.

So I'd honestly say, hand him some funds in January let him have a little tinker, his 6 months or so bedding his new players in and getting them used to how he wants to play should hopefully start showing some signs of coming together as they did in his first 6 months and then see how we fare until the end of the season, if we start to turn it around, the past few months can be seen as a hiccup bedding new arrivals in.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20847: Nov 25, 2014 09:27:16 am

Copyright my Ludogorets post  Beerbelly.
      No charge mate  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #20848: Nov 25, 2014 09:30:32 am
      At least we agree on something then. Kenny is a great man and he did take us to Wembley.

Whose that  Kenny  ?
      Wasnt that the man who had actually won things as a player and a manager ?
       ;D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #20849: Nov 25, 2014 09:31:33 am
      I really don't want to see him go. Bet lets face it, we are in crisis mode at the moment, relegation form and people will point to the new signings straight away.

It's one of those situations where you want to stick your head in the sand and hope everything will get better but I just can't see it happening.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #20850: Nov 25, 2014 09:44:04 am
      My biggest issue with Brendan is that he seems to have lost his vision for how he wants us to play.

Agree.

He's caught between his original philosophy, trying to get the best out of Gerrard and building his midfield around this and playing to a totally different type of striker.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #20851: Nov 25, 2014 09:57:54 am
      Agree.

He's caught between his original philosophy, trying to get the best out of Gerrard and building his midfield around this and playing to a totally different type of striker.

So is sacking him the answer??

I really don't think it is, yet our form is relegation form...  could we really hit that low??

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #20852: Nov 25, 2014 09:59:51 am
      So is sacking him the answer??

I really don't think it is, yet our form is relegation form...  could we really hit that low??

Sacking him isn't the answer but as I said the other day if we lost the next three playing as we have been even those who don't want him sacked, like myself, would find it difficult to argue against it.
      trebor12
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 69 
      Reply #20853: Nov 25, 2014 10:19:36 am
      I think he's showed faith in some players for too long now. There's players in the squad who want to play and have said so on numerous occasions. I, like many, don't want to see Gerrard dropped from the squad completely but at nearly 35 he has to be used as an impact sub for me. Lucas is just being wasted at the moment, if he could re capture some of that form he showed before that injury then Allen, Henderson or Can would partner him and we'll get that protection for our back 4. I know dropping people may look like a lack of faith in them but Lovrens confidence is shot and he needs to be rested so man up Brendan you have a very passionate CB in Toure just waiting for his chance. I feel really sorry for Borini, he is desperate to get chances and still gets over looked and the same goes for Lambert. Two players that are desperate to get chances and wear the shirt and give their all. Glen Johnson is a liability and is just running down his contract and should only be used when we are desperate. The keeper situation should be addressed in Jan as Migs has no competition and he needs that kick up the arse. Where's Tiago Llori, get him back. Jordan Ibe can play wide and as a striker, get him back. Where's Suso why is he not getting some game time. For me Brendan is not trying to change things hes just putting out the usual suspects just because he's spent 16 - 20 million on them. We need passion for the red shirt now, some of this current crop are not working. We're in trouble, we need to get that top 4 slot and some of these players need to stand up and be counted. They don't look like they are playing for Brendan at the moment and he needs to do something about that and make some bold decisions. Brendan Rodgers YOU ARE THE MANAGER OF LIVERPOOL FOOTBALL CLUB......GET IT DONE. YNWA.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #20854: Nov 25, 2014 10:23:32 am
      I just have a feeling we can't get back to last seasons level or even close to it, we look deflated,exhausted & out of ideas, what's gone wrong I can't answer but the damage done looks like it won't fix unless there are serious changes.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #20855: Nov 25, 2014 10:28:49 am
      Copyright my Ludogorets post  Beerbelly.
      No charge mate  ;D

:gt-happyup:
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #20856: Nov 25, 2014 11:16:16 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-makes-4509504

I don't it's been discussed already. But this is a bit silly don't you think?
      Steven Gerrard is BR's landlord.
      Football manager Brendan Rodgers has pulled off a Steven Gerrard transfer.

But Liverpool fans needn’t worry that they’re losing their captain - Rodgers’ latest move is into the star’s £3million home.

He is believed to be renting it from the midfielder after he and wife Alex Curran moved out.

The 41-year-old Reds’ manager, who has split from wife Susan, is living there with blonde girlfriend ­Ccc, 31.

It boasts a games room, swimming pool, a two-storey gym complete with solarium, a plunge pool, jacuzzi and sauna.

Behind the house there is a playground built complete with pink wendy house, climbing frame, double swing and a rocking horse built for the Gerrard's three children.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20857: Nov 25, 2014 11:43:50 am
      Brendan is in the most difficult moment of his Liverpool tenure, and he may be only a game or two from getting the bullet IMHO. I think he's been let down by the players (who once again this week he refused to criticise), is being let down by some of our fan base who have turned on him ridiculously quickly, and is probably going to get let down by our ownership as well as they have previous. I think sacking managers unless you have a bottomless pit of cash is the road to ruin myself, but I don't make the decisions. What I do though is make bold statements on forums which nobody takes any notice of, and here's another. If I were Brendan this is what I'd do to turn things around:

Firstly he needs to look very closely at the team selection and cast all previous preconceptions out of the window. Now is not the time for favouritism or for harking back to glories past, it's the time for realism in terms of where we are and what we need. The realistic assessment of where we are is that we currently look like a poor team who is devoid of confidence. My suspicion is that we are significantly better than how we look, but nonetheless in the here and now we are extremely ordinary. Also and perhaps even more worryingly, we look lacking in character, fight and desire. Things aren't going to change on their own, and unless we can put a group of players on the pitch who are willing to role their sleeves up and battle for the cause, we are going to continue to lose football matches. Brendan needs to look into the whites of the eyes of his players and choose very carefully. His job is on the line here and he's in the trenches, if he's going to go he may as well go while swinging and have players alongside him who are going to swing as well. If I were him, I'd be finding ways to get the likes of Kolo Toure and Lucas Leiva into the team, and trying to find ways to get players such as Glen Johnson out of it.

Step one in terms of coaching is to make us significantly harder to both play against and score against. To that end, it's time we worked massively harder when we haven't got the ball. I'm not talking about some diagram based pressing system here or some "transition" theory, I'm talking about players busting a gut to prevent the ball from going into our goal. Players making sure they get goal side of Joe Ledley before it gets squared to him on Sunday, players busting a gut to get back and double up on Bulasi as he's having a stormer, players busting a gut to block off Dwight Gayle so the rebound doesn't fall to him. Players busting a gut to chase a lost cause even, something to warm the hearts and get the crowd going a bit. Think Dirk Kuyt and how he would have played on Sunday, giving it the Duracell headless chicken and absolutely busting a bollock to get us back into the game. Dirk was never the answer when you needed a bit of quality, but he definitely was when you needed grit, effort and determination. Who's our Dirk Kuyt in this squad? We'd better either find one or appoint one and sharpish. I'd also like to see players giving it the occasional Jon Flanagan, lets put a few tackles in FFS it's not outlawed yet. Lets have a little snarl, a spit into the turf, a grab the opponent by the throat, a little argy bargy, a little nastiness. Lets get on the refs case, not waiting till after the game to moan about a decision, lets get in his face and demand a fairer crack of the whip.

Since I'm on the subject of hard work, we need midfield players and strikers who get into the opposition box. Once they're in there, we need players who look like they give a flying f*ck about whether or not they get on the end of something. Once again it's character we're talking here, and if I were Brendan I'd be looking for ways to get the Rickie Lamberts and Fabio Borini's into the team, and leaving the Marion Balotelli's of this world out of it.

For me at this moment we need to pick our best eleven battlers not bottlers, our best eleven grafters not shirkers. Character is what we need, backbone, men who are up for the challenge. If I were Brendan I'd mimic Mourinho's 4-2-3-1 in the short term, and I'd mimic Chelsea's more direct approach. I'd tell the players who are on that I want them to run themselves into the ground, and which point we'll bring on a sub who'll also run himself into the ground. Lets get the crowd up for it by the sheer "drop dead trying" effort we're prepared to put in.

If I were Brendan and my neck was on the line, this would be the team I'd pick to go into war. Apologies if any of these are injured/unavailable:

Mignolet.
                                                                    Manquillo       Toure       Skrtel     Enrique

Lucas       Can

Henderson     Gerrard    Lallana

Lambert

It's not necessarily about the best players right now, it's about the right players. To play my "get f*cking stuck into em" style, these are the best players for the job. The Sterlings, Coutinho's, Lovren's, Moreno's, Markovic's and the like are for another day when we are starting to play well again. This is the team for tomorrow night if I were Brendan, one that'll battle for the shirt.         

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #20858: Nov 25, 2014 11:44:05 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-boss-brendan-rodgers-makes-4509504

I don't it's been discussed already. But this is a bit silly don't you think?
      Steven Gerrard is BR's landlord.

please don't take offense asharma but i couldn't give a monkeys toss about this....
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #20859: Nov 25, 2014 11:48:17 am

Mignolet.
                                                                    Manquillo       Toure       Skrtel     Enrique

Lucas       Can

Henderson     Gerrard    Lallana

Lambert

It's not necessarily about the best players right now, it's about the right players. To play my "get f*cking stuck into em" style, these are the best players for the job. The Sterlings, Coutinho's, Lovren's, Moreno's, Markovic's and the like are for another day when we are starting to play well again. This is the team for tomorrow night if I were Brendan, one that'll battle for the shirt.       

this is what must be done... send this in a text to Brendan Mick  ;D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #20860: Nov 25, 2014 11:52:40 am
      this is what must be done... send this in a text to Brendan Mick  ;D

If I had his number I would mate  :lmao:.

Quick Reply