Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032148 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #21160: Nov 29, 2014 06:39:15 pm
      Whatever he said before the game he needs to stop and whatever he said at half time he should do more often?

Before: Lads, if you don't play well today I'm as good as gone.

After: Lads it was good coaching you but after that first half display I'll be gone tomorrow.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #21161: Nov 29, 2014 06:42:21 pm
      Result aside, I still query the subs  he made (vs Stoke). Invited pressure on us when we were right in Stoke's faces, and it put us under unecessary pressure

Still, he must have said something to them second half because it was a much better display from us

Bringing on the immobile Gerrard gave them bags of room sadly.
      bmck

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21162: Nov 29, 2014 07:28:19 pm
      Doesn't sound like we wiped the floor with Stoke, but crucial win today. A loss would've been really tough to take.

And BR took a big step resting SG - he would've come in for a lot of stick if we'd lost that. Again, having not seen the game, hard to say what kind of diff it made, if any, or whether he might consider leaving SG out of the starting XI for next PL match. But he is slowly trying things, which is good to see - team has to come first.

Am sure BR won't be thinking he's turned a corner yet, will take more than a 1-0 home win for that, but its a start.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21163: Nov 29, 2014 07:33:25 pm
      As Maggie  Thatcher said :

"We got the win.
      Rejoice"

or something like that.
      Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #21164: Nov 29, 2014 08:32:25 pm
      Delighted we got the win, however Stoke weren't exactly top notch opponents, they offered little. I just hope Brendan doesn't get too carried away, there is still a lot of work to do, a decent side would have beaten us today.
      We did win and, kept a clean sheet, so we need to build on that, consistency is the only way we are going to climb the table. Onto the next match and another win, by whatever margin, will help to build our fragile confidence.
      Happy tonight, but not getting too carried away!
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #21165: Nov 29, 2014 08:51:58 pm
      Actually saw glimpses of last season in our second half attacks, bar the final ball, more of that kind of attacking will turn our season around.
      Something changed at half time, so credit to the boss for that.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #21166: Nov 29, 2014 09:01:19 pm
      I think Brendan deserves a lot of credit for the difference in our performance in the second half... maybe a good kicking for the first half though :)

lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #21167: Nov 29, 2014 11:19:38 pm
      one win today not going help brendan he needs get team playing better and get top 4 and win something, before l think he going manger for us going forward,
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #21168: Nov 29, 2014 11:25:19 pm
      As Maggie  Thatcher said :

"We got the win.
      Rejoice"

or something like that.

The F***ing witch.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21169: Nov 29, 2014 11:27:22 pm
      Chased Lallana and paid a lot of money for him but we never play him anymore! What's going on Brendan?!
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #21170: Nov 30, 2014 12:36:35 am
      Closed two points on Chelsea

It's on!
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #21171: Nov 30, 2014 02:27:25 am
      Despite the win our tactics looked terrible, sterling was alone, isolated with Coutinho no where near him etc, the tactics look dodgy still or am I mistaken?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #21172: Nov 30, 2014 08:46:24 am
      Well, I suppose it's only fair to credit Rodgers in part for the win against Stoke. Given the fact he's had all sorts thrown at him (from LFC fans), from Landlord innuendos to possibly 'losing the dressing room,' so it's only fair to applaud the manager over a win against Stoke.  :o

The gaffer did what many wanted; he dropped his landlord captain for Lucas and Lovren (a 20 million signing of his) for the cheaper and older version of Kolo Toure. It paid off for him to some degree.

I don't expect the boss would have been too over the moon with the first half display but then again I don't think he would have been as unhappy as the first half performance warranted. It was dire, shabby and ineffective and even though we never looked liked scoring, we never looked like conceding either. We were deep and not very adventurous with it. Lucas, Allen, Henderson and Lambert even aren't the kind of midfielders in the main (and attacker too) to get you goals deep from your own half. It wasn't until the gaffer clearly told the lads at half time to go out there and be more aggressive with their pressing, until said players carried more of a threat.

And Rodgers, clearly hadn't lost the dressing room because after HT the instructions were clear and this bolder tactic was adhered to by the lads. Make no bones about it, Rodgers and the team hadn't won for a while, the pressure & rumours were mounting around him and he could, quite have easily gone for the safe Hodgson-esque performance of the first half, and used it for the second half. But the press was on! We have been undone by this game-plan many times; as it can stretch-a-game, it only takes an opposing CB to lob one over your in no mans land midfielders for a break down the other end. This is/was a bit of conundrum for the manager, should he stick or twist? And he twisted his team to go and hunt the ball and take the game by the scruff of the neck. Even Lucas found himself pressing around their 18 yard box! And this shift paid dividends for a manager who is under enormous pressure - it could have gone either way - had Stoke been more threatening in attack.

By no means, am I talking this up to be a masterclass performance by Rodgers or the team but it was a small yet effective improvement straight after HT.

I also saw Rodgers was criticised for bringing Lovren on to  :D. He really can't win. Anyway, had Stoke scored I would have still agreed with that change because we're a team at the moment who can't hold onto a lead with four defenders on the pitch, and we have a tendency to concede late to - see Ludogorets. He had to go back to the very simple principle of holding onto a lead (which we're not very good at, at the best of times) by throwing on an extra defender. Had he have not done that and Stoke had equalised I can guarantee the other quip of, 'tactical/in game management naivety' would have been trotted out on here right after that.  8)
      « Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014 10:26:49 am by Beerbelly »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21173: Nov 30, 2014 09:18:35 am
      I've previously been one who gave Rodgers a lot of criticism, but I've stayed away from dishing any out for this season, I think majority of us expected this season was going to be anything but plain sailing, we signed a lot of players who would need time to adapt to their new surroundings, tactics, homes etc etc, the we also lost the world class talent that is Luis Suarez.

I expected a lot of ups and downs, granted its been worse than I envisaged but I did expect it being quite a bumpy ride until around January, so for that reason I've been pretty patient and sat waiting for all the pieces of the jigsaw to fall in to place, its not quite happening for us at the moment but yesterdays win against Stoke no matter how we went about it was a step in the right direction, losses shatter confidence, wins build confidence.

So rather than joining in with the torch and pitchforks, I'm staying with initial gut feeling that we will struggle until around the January Period, but have a feeling that things will eventually fall in to place and we'll start to look a better outfit, it may not be enough to secure us top 4 and I think Rodgers will have some big decisions to make in the summer regarding some of his own signings 'Balotelli', 'Mignolet', 'Lovren' if they continue in the form they have shown this season.

But for now I'm behind Rodgers, he proved me wrong last season when every thing fell into place and I'll continue to back him this season unless he has us rooted deep in the middle of a relegation battle, which given those circumstances I believe any one would have the right to want him gone, first half season of his tenure was similar to what were seeing now, 2nd half season of his tenure we started to see the improvement that led to last seasons almost season.

MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #21174: Nov 30, 2014 09:31:00 am
      There was 100 million pounds worth of players  ...... on the bench .

Johnson was very brave putting his head where others may have not. May have given Rodgers the break.
      Mad4LFC
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 989 posts | 81 
      Reply #21175: Nov 30, 2014 09:36:03 am
      There was 100 million pounds worth of players  ...... on the bench .

Johnson was very brave putting his head where others may have not. May have given Rodgers the break.

And I wasn't disappointed that none of them started, that speaks volumes. It's either down to the committee or Rodgers but someone needs to take the blame.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #21176: Nov 30, 2014 11:13:51 am
      And I wasn't disappointed that none of them started, that speaks volumes. It's either down to the committee or Rodgers but someone needs to take the blame.

I think if none of them end up working out and the money is indeed wasted, someone will end up "taking the blame". As it is though, the most important thing about yesterday surely wasn't how many of the new players played. For me anyway, the most important thing was the result, and we won!

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #21177: Nov 30, 2014 01:06:54 pm
      Might just be the case with me that I thought that the club were too eager to get rid of Rafa following what could only be seen as a blip on his Liverpool tenure at the time and that we still don't look like we've fully recovered from that period that is giving me the patience to stand by Rodgers. Is it too soon to sack a manager that was a cats whiskers away from delivering our first league title in decades ?

For me yes, as losing our best striker to a sale, our second best striker to injury and bedding in a handful of new players who are getting used to how Rodgers wants them to play, getting used to the runs each other makes, positions they take up, how they play the game whilst adapting to their new surroundings etc was always going to be hard, I may be wrong, but this may just be a blip on Rodgers tenure here so I think we all need to remain calm and see if that is indeed the case, unless of course we get fully drawn into a relegation battle.

The only thing for me at the minute is, If FSG gave me the choice to stand by Rodgers or the return of Rafa, I'd go for Rafa every time as I have this emotional attachment to Rafa that I've never felt with Rodgers, also he's a bloody good manager who dare I say it, would be ideal for FSG for the goals they seem to want to achieve in the manner they want to go about it.

But for now, I stand by Rodgers, his affairs, his bull sh*t, his Porsche Cheyene, his self portrait and his pearly white gnashers..
      Tadders

• 6,613 posts | 558 
      Reply #21178: Nov 30, 2014 01:10:53 pm
      I am confused about Lallana? he has been the best of the bunch and looks decent, we know he can play, he plays well for England, was superb for Southampton last season. He is bright, energetic and contributes...

All these endless waste of time questions to BR about Ballotelli, can someone ask him whether Adam is injured or not ffs?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #21179: Nov 30, 2014 01:22:46 pm
      I've previously been one who gave Rodgers a lot of criticism, but I've stayed away from dishing any out for this season, I think majority of us expected this season was going to be anything but plain sailing, we signed a lot of players who would need time to adapt to their new surroundings, tactics, homes etc etc, the we also lost the world class talent that is Luis Suarez.

I expected a lot of ups and downs, granted its been worse than I envisaged but I did expect it being quite a bumpy ride until around January, so for that reason I've been pretty patient and sat waiting for all the pieces of the jigsaw to fall in to place, its not quite happening for us at the moment but yesterdays win against Stoke no matter how we went about it was a step in the right direction, losses shatter confidence, wins build confidence.

So rather than joining in with the torch and pitchforks, I'm staying with initial gut feeling that we will struggle until around the January Period, but have a feeling that things will eventually fall in to place and we'll start to look a better outfit, it may not be enough to secure us top 4 and I think Rodgers will have some big decisions to make in the summer regarding some of his own signings 'Balotelli', 'Mignolet', 'Lovren' if they continue in the form they have shown this season.

But for now I'm behind Rodgers, he proved me wrong last season when every thing fell into place and I'll continue to back him this season unless he has us rooted deep in the middle of a relegation battle, which given those circumstances I believe any one would have the right to want him gone, first half season of his tenure was similar to what were seeing now, 2nd half season of his tenure we started to see the improvement that led to last seasons almost season.

Pretty much bang on how Im feeling too.

Great post.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #21180: Nov 30, 2014 02:03:03 pm
      Christmas tree formation for the festive period, sweet.
      Coutinho needed to be nearer to Sterling and we may have had more success in the game, a win is a win, I didn't like the subs once again, I was worried when they were made, thank god we got the result though.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #21181: Nov 30, 2014 02:59:34 pm
      The three players causing Rodgers massive problems are Skrtel, Balotelli - and sorry to say - Gerrard.

Skrtel is the root problem of our defence and has to be sold pronto. A truly dreadful player who was at fault for that great Stoke chance when Bojan hit the post, leaving Lucas to try and do two jobs at once. He's one of the worst performers I've seen from Liverpool in recent years.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #21182: Nov 30, 2014 03:05:09 pm
       3 points - check.

Clean sheet - check.

Ability to grind out a result - check.

Manager sticking one down the throats of his critics - check, check check.  8)

Quick Reply