Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032103 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #23989: Jan 28, 2015 09:15:06 pm
      Take this years squad and give it Suarez and I would venture to guess it would knock the living sh*t out of the 2011/2012 side..sorry if that makes you upset but that is what I think.
      Strange turn of phrase, not usually associated with football, there A-Zed and although some might debate what you say... you'd have to hope that a team, which has had over £200m worth of players brought in, since 2011/12, is better [or knock the living sh*t out of] than a team in the initial stages of rebuilding.

In fact, most people who have been around the game for more than a couple of wet weekends, would say that should be a given... not something to be applauded. Truth be told and as a wise man once said: 'After spending [only] £100m you would have to expect to be challenging for the title'.  :o

2017/18 you say? F**k but that makes for gloomy reading braw - thankfully tho' Brendan, the players and us football fans [the holy trinity] will have higher expectations. I hope.  ;D
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #23990: Jan 28, 2015 09:19:54 pm
      Something has changed though hasn't it? If no signings are made this window does that imply the board aren't really prepared to fully back Brendan? Because Brendan's tone has certainly changed since summer.

Rodgers:
      "There is money to spend, no question," he said. "But I won't spend it for the sake of it. It has to be the right type. If that means I have to wait until January then that's what I will do."

"If there is something that's available, the beauty of our owners here is that they will back what we want to do. If there was something we felt that would improve us for the short and long term that is something we would do."

I don't know mate, that seems to be the case. Hard to say until the window shuts but it does feel like FSG may be pissed at the performance of the side given the money that was spent in the summer. Maybe they have shut up shop as a result but it will come back to bite them if Studge cant stay fit. It looks like cutting your nose off despite the your face to me. We've still got a pretty good chance of that top 4 spot, the foundations are back in place and the lads are playing well but with Borini, Lambert or Balotelli up there we look a bit fooked. 
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23991: Jan 28, 2015 09:50:03 pm
      Strange turn of phrase, not usually associated with football, there A-Zed and although some might debate what you say... you'd have to hope that a team, which has had over £200m worth of players brought in, since 2011/12, is better [or knock the living sh*t out of] than a team in the initial stages of rebuilding.

In fact, most people who have been around the game for more than a couple of wet weekends, would say that should be a given... not something to be applauded. Truth be told and as a wise man once said: 'After spending [only] £100m you would have to expect to be challenging for the title'.  :o

2017/18 you say? F**k but that makes for gloomy reading braw - thankfully tho' Brendan, the players and us football fans [the holy trinity] will have higher expectations. I hope.  ;D

In my eyes, what I am watching now and the players playing (Suarez excluded) are better players than the 11/12 season..that is what my eyes tell me BBB.

Whether it is true or not..I have no idea.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #23992: Jan 28, 2015 10:30:43 pm
      I don't know mate, that seems to be the case. Hard to say until the window shuts but it does feel like FSG may be pissed at the performance of the side given the money that was spent in the summer. Maybe they have shut up shop as a result but it will come back to bite them if Studge cant stay fit. It looks like cutting your nose off despite the your face to me. We've still got a pretty good chance of that top 4 spot, the foundations are back in place and the lads are playing well but with Borini, Lambert or Balotelli up there we look a bit fooked. 

I think the budget was spent this summer and there is no more....wouldn't matter if we are in 7th or 2nd, just like it did not matter last year.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #23993: Jan 29, 2015 04:22:17 am
      Talk of transfer business at Liverpool does really make me feel physically sick. I can't even bear to think what stingy fuckers FSG and Ayre are gonna be like in the summer when we try and get a striker.

Really am dreading it because (a) I'm not sure what striker would be good for us, and (b) how are we going to attract a quality striker?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #23994: Jan 29, 2015 09:11:51 am
      Talk of transfer business at Liverpool does really make me feel physically sick. I can't even bear to think what stingy fuckers FSG and Ayre are gonna be like in the summer when we try and get a striker.

Really am dreading it because (a) I'm not sure what striker would be good for us, and (b) how are we going to attract a quality striker?

IMO there's being a stingy f**ker and there's not being able to spend because of FFP (not saying FSG are any particular one). After the summer of spending we've just had though and to be in such desperate need for a striker is frankly embarrassing. Lacazette is the type of striker that would be good for us, he's comfortable out wide if needs be but is clinical through the middle. At approx. £25m+ though its a non-starter.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #23995: Jan 29, 2015 09:19:13 am
      Its weird to me that fans still haven't come to terms with the fact that we don't have sugar daddy chairmen. We aren't Real, Barca, PSG, Chelsea or City financially

They made it clear from day one our main objective is to balance the books, fix the problems of extremely high wages for the various members of the squad who were not giving us value for money. Becoming self sustainable (so if we don't finish in the top 4 it wouldn't be disastrous) and improving the stadium.

I love Rafa, I think we should have never got rid of him. But the fact is many of the legacy players from his era were on 100+k a week and were no longer performing. (Plus we had the expensive dross from the Damien Comolli regime).

We were a 6/7th place team, with a weekly wage budget similar to Chelsea. Thats a recipe for disaster. Something needed to change.

If you actually think about it, we were heading down a VERY slippery slope.

It makes sense to change our strategy and become a self sustaining entity. It means we wont be splashing out every transfer window. Im ok with that. If it means we buy young players , develop them and improve them IM OK WITH IT

We have a pretty young squad right now. I wish our fans had more patience and were less knee jerk about everything.

We have a bad spell TIME TO SACK RODGERS!

Players dont adapt immediately SELL EM OFF!

Lets use some common sense. If we had abramovic or a couple saudi princes we could be playing championship manager.

But we don't this is our reality.
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015 10:43:56 am by PastorGeek »
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #23996: Jan 29, 2015 09:44:52 am

Agree that this is just becoming ridiculous. Not only at our club though, it's a general football/life thing I guess.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #23997: Jan 29, 2015 11:36:09 am
      Agree that this is just becoming ridiculous. Not only at our club though, it's a general football/life thing I guess.

The other thing is, considering the slippery road we actually were heading down, with so many of our players on Mega contracts, under performing and not finishing anywhere near the top 4.

Brendan deserves credit for transitioning those players out, balancing the books, WHILE bringing in younger, cheaper players, keeping Suarez (for one more season) AND challenging for the title in 2 seasons!!!

He's earned my trust and will get the benefit of the doubt from me to sort this squad out.

Yes he has made some mistakes. But he is a young manager. And just like we can accept sterling is not the finished article and will learn / improve and become world class. This same process can happen for managers / coaches etc.

But as you say. We live in a world of immediate gratification right now so thats that
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #23998: Jan 29, 2015 12:21:49 pm
      In my eyes, what I am watching now and the players playing (Suarez excluded) are better players than the 11/12 season..that is what my eyes tell me BBB.

Whether it is true or not..I have no idea.
      You are right mate, we are but after three seasons, twenty odd players and over £200m spent it should be.

Is it really enough of a sign of progress when the best we can offer, by way of 'argument', is that; this squad is playing better (with better players) than the 2011/12 squad? Not in my opinion.

Have our expectations really been dumbed down [subtly and cleverly] to the extent that we 'should' be happy that 'at least we are playing better' and, 'if we just wait... we will be able to afford top quality, "ready made" players in another three seasons'? I hope not.

See I'm not sold on the notion that Brendan either needed, or wanted, to sign twenty odd "players with potential" to get us to where we are now - i.e. 'playing better football than the 2011 squad'. In my my opinion; if he had been given the freedom and ability to purchase/pay wages of quality, "ready-made" footballers then we would have seen very few of the twenty. And you know what?... We [the football team] would have been better off - certainly no worse off.

You made a very valid point that, by the time 2017/18 season come round, our current batch of young guns will be entering their prime but (there's always a but) I'd be very surprised if all those lads are still playing here come then. The chances are they'll be moved on - either for profit because they've been exceptional or because they haven't fulfilled their "potential" and ain't good enough. At which point we do what: buy more "potential", take yet another step back and reset our target date?

Brendan Rodgers is, as you put it, very much "their man" but he's working to a remit and strategy which is very clearly defined and dictated by FSG. Unlike a few posters, I am convinced that the 'strategy' is more about optimising, (with little financial risk to themselves), FSG's business plan/portfolio/profit before they cash in than it is about making us champions.

Furthermore; I also believe that, by convincing many fans that all will be good in yet another three, four, five seasons, FSG have pulled off the biggest con of all-  merely buying time before they cash in and withdraw. And...

Unless they give "their man" the latitude to sign what he now calls "ready made", quality players they'll be withdrawing without ever having had to deliver.

If they are serious about football - give Brendan the tools; start building on what we have "now". They could have built on a team, decimated by injury but sitting 2 points off 4th, in January 2012 [by buying "ready-made" quality] but didn't; could have built on a team, flying high in the league last January [buy buying "ready-made" quality] but didn't and they could have built on a team which finished 2nd last season [by buying "ready-made" quality] but didn't.

Instead Brendan had to make do with the "long-term"  :lmao: strategy of buying young players "with potential" [i.e. buy low/sell high] because... wait for it.... top quality players wanted to play in London  :lmao:

Let loose with, "ready-made", top quality players - Brendan would deliver... of that I have no doubt. * By "deliver" I mean win NOT compete for a top four finish (which, although is the height of ambition for many, it seems - ISN'T good enough for Liverpool F.C. in my opinion, of course.)  ;)     

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #23999: Jan 29, 2015 12:24:33 pm

This is the way of the world in 2015 I'm afraid.

No one wants to wait for anything anymore... you want to see people down here in London when they miss the tube... effing and jeffing, punching the air in anger when at the same time they can clearly see the platform display showing "NEXT TRAIN IN 2 MINUTES"… fuming at the prospect of waiting a further 2 minutes… it’s pathetic but it’s the culture we live in now

All we can hope for is that FSG are more patient the players and the manager
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #24000: Jan 29, 2015 12:27:01 pm
      I love Rafa, I think we should have never got rid of him. But the fact is many of the legacy players from his era were on 100+k a week and were no longer performing.

Is this really true?

How many of Rafa's 'legacy players' were on over £110K a week and not performing then?

Not sure how many I could think of.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #24001: Jan 29, 2015 12:36:07 pm
      I dont think we are doing as bad as people think, BR bought a lot of young players that with age and experiance are starting to improve meaning for the future we are set up as we would have developed them to love the club and be top interantionals. Players like Coutiho,Can,Sakho,Sterling,Markvoich, all will be even better next season as they would have gain more experiance. The main problem is we've not bought many established players only Lallana,Lovern were supposedly the finished articles and out of the two only Lallana looks like a decent buy. Summer we need to only get 3 top players in all around the 25yr age bracket with experiance (if we can afford them) and we will be in a title battle, as were not as far off ability wise just need a bit of luck injury front.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #24002: Jan 29, 2015 12:56:21 pm
      Its weird to me that fans still haven't come to terms with the fact that we don't have sugar daddy chairmen. We aren't Real, Barca, PSG, Chelsea or City financially
      :lmao:
      Oh, you were being serious, sorry.

See I find it even weirder that fans still haven't come to F***ing terms with the fact that we had the financial clout [£300m + in three seasons] of what is laughingly and erroneously called "sugar daddy chairmen" but FSG dictated that it was spent on cheap, easy paid "potential" rather than top quality players [like City & Chelsea].  :o

Either way - back on topic - Brendan Rodgers ain't the problem.  ;)

ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #24003: Jan 29, 2015 01:37:57 pm

See I find it even weirder that fans still haven't come to f**king terms with the fact that we had the financial clout [£300m + in three seasons] of what is laughingly and erroneously called "sugar daddy chairmen" but FSG dictated that it was spent on cheap, easy paid "potential" rather than top quality players [like City & Chelsea].  :o

yer totally agree the manager is not the issue as when we are good we are really good to watch, the main issue is his success in the transfer market. so far out off all BR signings half have been good the other half have been terrible there is no in between. We need a better transfer committee with a new mission, which should be go out and get us established players not potential as we have that in abundance now.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #24004: Jan 29, 2015 01:55:22 pm

See I find it even weirder that fans still haven't come to f**king terms with the fact that we had the financial clout [£300m + in three seasons] of what is laughingly and erroneously called "sugar daddy chairmen" but FSG dictated that it was spent on cheap, easy paid "potential" rather than top quality players [like City & Chelsea].  :o

The squad still may come good... some players are already showing their class. If they all do, thats some squad we would of amassed
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #24005: Jan 29, 2015 01:58:32 pm
      yer totally agree the manager is not the issue as when we are good we are really good to watch, the main issue is his success in the transfer market. so far out off all BR signings half have been good the other half have been terrible there is no in between. We need a better transfer committee with a new mission, which should be go out and get us established players not potential as we have that in abundance now.

We just need to invest in our resources better. Our issue was over emphasising on "bolstering" the squad opposed to strengthening the team. Luis Suarez was pivotal in our fight for the PL last season, and losing him should have meant finding an adequate replacement for him above anything else. Our players are clearly competent from defence to attack but, we were light in given areas and attack was one of them knowing what DS is like.

I would like to think that Brendan Rodgers was pursuing Henrikh Mkhtarian, Willian, Diego Costa, and Alexis Sanchez - all players who would have an instant impact here.

We have witnessed significant change in our performances since the turn of the year. These improvements are down to Rodgers; however, one must remain concerned as to how it's taken him half a season to put things right. Persisting with out of form players hurt us and Rodgers has to take responsibility for that. And what happens if we start to get sussed out again by our opposition? How long will it take Brendan to adapt his game plan so that we are not predictable?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #24006: Jan 29, 2015 03:17:29 pm
      Brendan in his press conference today answering questions about Carroll and Downing:

As for Andy..? "He has great ability around the box, but in terms of how we wanted to play, he might not have been a regular player because of the movement and speed with which we try to work. But that doesn't mean he's a bad player, he is still an outstanding player."

Is he having a laugh, seriously? Carroll has 10 times more movement and speed than Lambert. I don't think either of them suit us but to say he sold Carroll because of a lack of movement to then go and sign Lambert is ludicrous!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #24007: Jan 29, 2015 03:27:38 pm
      Brendan in his press conference today answering questions about Carroll and Downing:

Is he having a laugh, seriously? Carroll has 10 times more movement and speed than Lambert. I don't think either of them suit us but to say he sold Carroll because of a lack of movement to then go and sign Lambert is ludicrous!

Lambert was not 35 million lead striker, he was brought in for various roles and situations off the bench and nothing more.

Carroll was a 35 million price-tag expected to lead the line and be a #1 striker at the club.

Surely you know this already and are having a laugh right?
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #24008: Jan 29, 2015 03:40:25 pm
      Is this really true?

How many of Rafa's 'legacy players' were on over £110K a week and not performing then?

Not sure how many I could think of.

Reina
      Kuyt
      Maxi Rodriguez
      Jon Glenson
      Agger
      Aquilani
      Aurelio ( i assume was up there in wages as he was a free)
      Bellamy

in addition to
      Adam
      Carroll
      Joe Cole
      Downing

Anyways, my main point is that we had a lot of players in the squad on VERY high wages (as Rodgers said himself some players were on astronomical wages) and we were finishing 6/7th. With a stadium of 44k. Thats not very sustainable, even with all the other revenue streams

ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #24009: Jan 29, 2015 03:44:40 pm
      Reina
      Kuyt
      Maxi Rodriguez
      Jon Glenson
      Agger
      Aquilani
      Aurelio ( i assume was up there in wages as he was a free)
      Bellamy

Not one of those players were on 110,000 per week!

Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #24010: Jan 29, 2015 03:47:28 pm
      IMO there's being a stingy f**ker and there's not being able to spend because of FFP (not saying FSG are any particular one). After the summer of spending we've just had though and to be in such desperate need for a striker is frankly embarrassing. Lacazette is the type of striker that would be good for us, he's comfortable out wide if needs be but is clinical through the middle. At approx. £25m+ though its a non-starter.

Forget about Lacazette or any other potential glamour signing, somebody in the price range of Giorgios Samaras will be our limit.

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,475 posts | 701 
      Reply #24011: Jan 29, 2015 03:49:52 pm
      Not one of those players were on 110,000 per week!

How much were they on? to nitpick is missing the crux of my point

Anyways, my main point is that we had a lot of players in the squad on VERY high wages (as Rodgers said himself some players were on astronomical wages) and we were finishing 6/7th. With a stadium of 44k. Thats not very sustainable, even with all the other revenue streams
      « Last Edit: Jan 29, 2015 04:49:07 pm by PastorGeek »

Quick Reply