Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3044125 times
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,741 posts | 569 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #25392: Apr 04, 2015 03:10:28 pm
      Yeah just leave out UTD and spurs why dont you!

we're talking about the top 4
      asharma.lfc
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 652 posts | 26 
      Reply #25393: Apr 04, 2015 03:16:31 pm
      Yeah just leave out UTD and spurs why dont you!
      They were not in top 4.

Of all the losses, United did double on us this season. Completely dominated the game at Anfield. We have no leaders on the pitch.
      Tadders

• 6,741 posts | 569 
      Reply #25394: Apr 04, 2015 03:16:39 pm
      In BR's time;

2012/2013 top 4 - we played 8 lost 3 and drew 5
      2013/2014 top 4 - we played 6 lost 4 and won 2
      2014/2015 current top 4 - we have played 7 lost 5 drawn 1 and won 1

P 21 w3 d6 lost 12

LFCSTEVE1984
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,729 posts | 408 
      Reply #25395: Apr 04, 2015 03:22:17 pm
      In BR's time;

2012/2013 top 4 - we played 8 lost 3 and drew 5
      2013/2014 top 4 - we played 6 lost 4 and won 2
      2014/2015 current top 4 - we have played 7 lost 5 drawn 1 and won 1

P 21 w3 d6 lost 12

Pretty poor that. Forgetting the sh*t start to the season... If we'd have only done better against the top 4 this season we'd comfortably be in the champs league places.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #25396: Apr 04, 2015 03:25:05 pm
      No doubt he's got a lot wrong this season.

He will, however, have learned a lot from it.

No desire to start all over again.

Again.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #25397: Apr 04, 2015 03:32:19 pm
      It's times like this that I just don't know what to think. That horrible feeling as a fan when you're searching for an answer to the root of all problems and you just don't know.

For me, I cannot blame Brendan for all of this. I still believe in him like he made me believe last year, and I cannot fathom how some think he is hopeless given the vast improvement of a lot of our players under him. He's a coach at the end of the day and he makes players better - and that is in no doubt. He's obviously no magician and isn't going to make all limited players world class - but I know for a fact there are many many players who have come on leaps and bounds under his coaching.

And tactically, I think he is very capable too. BUT the thing is with limited players, that is going to make your tactics look limited too. And this is partly his problem too, because it's hard to get away from the fact that a lot of these transfers are just not good enough to challenge the top 4. Again, who is to blame here?

But when you are spending £20 million on a defender and playing a veteran who came as a freebie instead, and when we are playing a winger as a striker when we spent £16 million on a fully fit striker in the summer, then there must be serious problems. Also, while I like Lallana, you expect a lot more consistency for a player in his peak years who cost £26 million. And I've still got high hopes for Markovic as he is young (so understandably inconsistent) - but again, £20 million is a lot of money and seems extortionate while considering our most impressive winger - for the short time he has performed - has been Jordan Ibe from the youth.

Rodgers comes up short in this matter, so it's imperative that he either improves or gets real help. And that's the problem with the latter - he isn't getting any help from so called transfer committee experts who are being paid to find top talent.

A lot of these signings have shown flashes of brilliance, but mere flashes aren't good enough for the top 4 and consistency should also come as part of the package with these players.

FSG seriously need to ask questions about this strategy, and whether they (A) abandon it or (B) modify it.

The horrible aspect about this is that this strategy for buying young talent may work in Germany or Spain, but they can afford to embed them into a team given the lack of competition and quality from lower league sides in those countries. In England, the quality isn't necessarily higher but the nature of the game is. Because of the uber competitive aspect of the Premier League where results are all that matter and performance isn't given any regard by most teams, it seems much more difficult to embed young players and allow them to flourish and develop, due to the stifling nature of Premier League games.

What this means is that teams are buggered if they want to develop talented youth. Which means the only other alternative is to spend, spend, spend like there is no tomorrow. And only a select few teams can afford to do that, which we can't.

So this begs the question - where is the hope and what is the f**king point of English football?
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #25398: Apr 04, 2015 03:41:49 pm
      It's times like this that I just don't know what to think. That horrible feeling as a fan when you're searching for an answer to the root of all problems and you just don't know.

For me, I cannot blame Brendan for all of this. I still believe in him like he made me believe last year, and I cannot fathom how some think he is hopeless given the vast improvement of a lot of our players under him. He's a coach at the end of the day and he makes players better - and that is in no doubt. He's obviously no magician and isn't going to make all limited players world class - but I know for a fact there are many many players who have come on leaps and bounds under his coaching.

And tactically, I think he is very capable too. BUT the thing is with limited players, that is going to make your tactics look limited too. And this is partly his problem too, because it's hard to get away from the fact that a lot of these transfers are just not good enough to challenge the top 4. Again, who is to blame here?

But when you are spending £20 million on a defender and playing a veteran who came as a freebie instead, and when we are playing a winger as a striker when we spent £16 million on a fully fit striker in the summer, then there must be serious problems. Also, while I like Lallana, you expect a lot more consistency for a player in his peak years who cost £26 million. And I've still got high hopes for Markovic as he is young (so understandably inconsistent) - but again, £20 million is a lot of money and seems extortionate while considering our most impressive winger - for the short time he has performed - has been Jordan Ibe from the youth.

Rodgers comes up short in this matter, so it's imperative that he either improves or gets real help. And that's the problem with the latter - he isn't getting any help from so called transfer committee experts who are being paid to find top talent.

A lot of these signings have shown flashes of brilliance, but mere flashes aren't good enough for the top 4 and consistency should also come as part of the package with these players.

FSG seriously need to ask questions about this strategy, and whether they (A) abandon it or (B) modify it.

The horrible aspect about this is that this strategy for buying young talent may work in Germany or Spain, but they can afford to embed them into a team given the lack of competition and quality from lower league sides in those countries. In England, the quality isn't necessarily higher but the nature of the game is. Because of the uber competitive aspect of the Premier League where results are all that matter and performance isn't given any regard by most teams, it seems much more difficult to embed young players and allow them to flourish and develop, due to the stifling nature of Premier League games.

What this means is that teams are buggered if they want to develop talented youth. Which means the only other alternative is to spend, spend, spend like there is no tomorrow. And only a select few teams can afford to do that, which we can't.

So this begs the question - where is the hope and what is the f**king point of English football?

Spot on mate. The sad fact of the PL the past decade is the 2/3 clubs with the most money win the league 100% of the time.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 2810 
      Reply #25399: Apr 04, 2015 03:44:41 pm
      The record against the big teams is a real issue. Even if we beat Blackburn and Villa does anyone genuinely see us beating Arsenal (provided they get through) in the final?

Is it Brendan setting us up wrong in these games? Other managers always look prepared - Van Gaal and Mourinho just have a knack of winning the massive ones and even Wenger now looks like he has learnt from last season and they've looked much better against their rivals. Brendan seems confident to make little tweaks against the smaller teams (like when he changed it to a diamond against Swansea) but in the big games he's like a rabbit in the headlights.

Or is it the players? We can just about carry our average players through against the weaker teams but most of the time we play the tougher teams the average ones are exposed?

The Premier League is too competitive to be able to say it's fine to lose to the big teams as long as we beat all the smaller ones. Every team will drop points against smaller teams, it will simply always happen in this league so if we want to get into the top four in the future we really need to sort this diabolical record out.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25400: Apr 04, 2015 03:45:17 pm
      For me, Brendan has shown what he can do with some quality players last season. There was nothing flukey about Suarez's form, Sturridge's form, Sterling's growth, Coutinho's form, and even Gerrard's form.

With average players, though, he has us punching above our weight a slight bit. That run from December to March is proof. Playing 3-4-3 was the best way to get something decent out of a somewhat blah side. But when we come up against top quality teams, the deficiencies of this squad get exposed. We do not have a single top quality CM, for example, and Allen/Henderson/Lucas were exposed in the past two matches.

Where Brendan is at fault, I think, has nothing to do with tactics or anything like that. I think he likes signing too many project players and not enough players ready to make an immediate impact.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,246 posts | 6364 
      Reply #25401: Apr 04, 2015 03:50:43 pm
      For me, Brendan has shown what he can do with some quality players last season. There was nothing flukey about Suarez's form, Sturridge's form, Sterling's growth, Coutinho's form, and even Gerrard's form.

With average players, though, he has us punching above our weight a slight bit. That run from December to March is proof. Playing 3-4-3 was the best way to get something decent out of a somewhat blah side. But when we come up against top quality teams, the deficiencies of this squad get exposed. We do not have a single top quality CM, for example, and Allen/Henderson/Lucas were exposed in the past two matches.

Where Brendan is at fault, I think, has nothing to do with tactics or anything like that. I think he likes signing too many project players and not enough players ready to make an immediate impact.

Maybe he would like to sign them but he's not being allowed?
      Tadders

• 6,741 posts | 569 
      Reply #25402: Apr 04, 2015 03:53:53 pm
      What is also worrying is that Brendan was challenging the players to get something out of the game?

how many times did we give the ball away - what the F**k is it with our passing, we used to the pressing, now teams press us we make mistakes.

Nearly everyone of our players made a critical mistake Mignolet, Sakho, Moreno, Toure, Can, Allen, Lucas (looked like he was 95) - all of them made a mistake that cost us something, add Markovic who does F**k all and Henderson on the right and it is not difficult to see why we got thrashed....

Massive game wednesday
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #25403: Apr 04, 2015 04:09:26 pm
      No doubt he's got a lot wrong this season.

He will, however, have learned a lot from it.

No desire to start all over again.

Again.

Like he learned from the last one ?

He needs to go at the end, he failed every target this season, bar the FA Cup, being knocked out in Europe by the likes of Basel and Besiktas, struggled against Ludogorets, blasted by the scum on their turf, blasted by Arsenal, didn't manage to win against Everton, spending more than 100 mil on RUBBISH, bar Emre Can, managed to f**k up Sterling's situation, Henderson pending, Gerrard aswell. What more do you expect from the clueless one ? Hopefully we'll manage to get into the FA Cup final, very big doubts over this also, given our tendency to f**k up in crucial games with him at the helm.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #25404: Apr 04, 2015 04:11:34 pm
      Maybe he would like to sign them but he's not being allowed?

Yeah it's tough to say, but it seems like he relishes working with players who are far from the finished product.

He needs to go at the end, he failed every target this season, bar the FA Cup, being knocked out in Europe by the likes of Basel and Besiktas, struggled against Ludogorets, blasted by the scum on their turf, blasted by Arsenal, didn't manage to win against Everton, spending more than 100 mil on RUBBISH, bar Emre Can, managed to f**k up Sterling's situation, Henderson pending, Gerrard aswell. What more do you expect from the clueless one ? Hopefully we'll manage to get into the FA Cup final, very big doubts over this also, given our tendency to f**k up in crucial games with him at the helm.

Sack Brendan and hire whom?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #25405: Apr 04, 2015 04:13:39 pm

Realistically, who would you have to replace him? The only world class manager  I believe we are able to attract is Rafa, that's it?
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #25406: Apr 04, 2015 04:19:55 pm
      Realistically, who would you have to replace him? The only world class manager  I believe we are able to attract is Rafa, that's it?

Rafa in this moment isn't anywhere near world class, managed to turn a last 16 UCL team in Napoli, to a team missing out on UCL 2 years in a row, just look how poor they play under him, in Italy they can't stand him, he was 0 at Inter and it is worse at Napoli, managed to turn a free flowing team into a dull one, don't want him around Anfield, for the sake of our club. He was good some time ago, but now he isn't fit for us.

I'll go for Klopp or Frank de Boer, given that Simeone signed a new contract at Atleti. Klopp had 1 bad season (this one) in 5 years i think at Dortmund, and under extremely adverse conditions, having almost 80 % of his key players injured, and missing every game 3-4 clear chances, ending up with a draw or defeat.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25407: Apr 04, 2015 04:21:09 pm

No world class managers will be considered mate, same as no world class players will be bought. 

Eddie Howe is the most likely "up and comer" we'll be looking at.  Another cheap, young talent who's been successful developing cheap, young talent.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25408: Apr 04, 2015 04:27:45 pm
      I think he likes signing too many project players and not enough players ready to make an immediate impact.

:lmao:
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #25409: Apr 04, 2015 04:35:59 pm
      I would love to listen why some people still think Brendan is the right manager for our club ?

Could you share the positives from this season, because i can't find any, and how he has proven he learned something from the last season, and how he improved as a manager ?
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #25410: Apr 04, 2015 04:38:24 pm
      I would love to listen why some people still think Brendan is the right manager for our club ?

Could you share the positives from this season, because i can't find any, and how he has proven he learned something from the last season, and how he improved as a manager ?

Well if you bothered to read anyone's posts you'd see.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,313 posts | 2810 
      Reply #25411: Apr 04, 2015 04:40:09 pm
      There's absolutely no F***ing point in sacking Brendan. Not only would we only target another young, inexperienced manager but they'd have to stick to all this FSG sh*te about only buying young 20 year old players with 'potential' or slightly older ones just as long as they are on low wages.

The sad thing is if we don't win the Cup I can actually see FSG doing exactly this. I just have no faith in them making any correct footballing decisions to get us back to the top but that's for another thread.
      siavashiva
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 811 posts | 113 
      Reply #25412: Apr 04, 2015 04:40:14 pm
      He is still boss. And he is going nowhere.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,488 posts | 1490 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #25413: Apr 04, 2015 04:58:51 pm
      Nothing changes until FSG change their modus operandi
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #25414: Apr 04, 2015 06:00:47 pm
      There's absolutely no f**king point in sacking Brendan. Not only would we only target another young, inexperienced manager but they'd have to stick to all this FSG sh*te about only buying young 20 year old players with 'potential' or slightly older ones just as long as they are on low wages.

The sad thing is if we don't win the Cup I can actually see FSG doing exactly this. I just have no faith in them making any correct footballing decisions to get us back to the top but that's for another thread.

They're not going to sack Brendan, it would deflect everything onto them and they won't want that.

Quick Reply