Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041679 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31648: May 31, 2015 07:59:40 pm
      Serious question. If Brendan DOES keep his job, would the guys that desperately want him out be hoping that we have a disasterous start to the season in order that FSG are put under serious pressure to get rid of him by Christmas, or would they rather we start pretty well and have a reasonable season perhaps even scraping into fourth, which would probably be enough for Brendan to keep his job again?

Honest answers only please. 
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #31649: May 31, 2015 08:21:27 pm
      I still think he should have another year,but and it's abig one,i think the whole assisting staff must change. Pascoe(Boersma) from the Souness era,brought us to our knees. If BR wants a chance he must get proper staff around him.
      Boersma was just an example how sh*t an assistant can be although his boss was piss poor too.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31650: May 31, 2015 08:21:34 pm
      Serious question. If Brendan DOES keep his job, would the guys that desperately want him out be hoping that we have a disasterous start to the season in order that FSG are put under serious pressure to get rid of him by Christmas, or would they rather we start pretty well and have a reasonable season perhaps even scraping into fourth, which would probably be enough for Brendan to keep his job again?

Honest answers only please. 

His record over three years shows he is not good enough.

We are an elite club with history.

We need a proven elite manager in charge who has cut his teeth to get where he is.

We need elite players.

The experiment has not worked and for one .....no ........ I cannot support someone who is not good enough to manage our club.
      The damage will only get worse.
      Time will move on .
      Games will be lost.
      How low we can go is up to FSG.

Three years in enough Mick. 

Too many now will want him to fail to eventually get him out.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31651: May 31, 2015 08:23:54 pm

His record over three years shows he is not good enough.

We are an elite club with history.

We need a proven elite manager in charge who has cut his teeth to get where he is.

We need elite players.

The experiment has not worked and for one .....no ........ I cannot support someone who is not good enough to manage our club.
      The damage will only get worse.
      Time will move on .
      Games will be lost.
      How low we can go is up to FSG.

Three years in enough Mick. 

Too many now will want him to fail to eventually get him out.

Fair enough mate I expected nothing less than honesty off you. Just so I'm clear though and not putting any words in your mouth, what was the answer to the question?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31652: May 31, 2015 08:24:42 pm
      Mick everyone wants Liverpool to succeed irrespective of who the manager is, that should answer your question. Maybe you should redirect your question to the posters who were right behind him in January and have changed their minds and now want him gone. Maybe it will be better to wait till Fenway get to Anfield before you cast aspersions on posters who wanted him gone pre Christmas.It is evident that the majority want Rodgers gone as is seen on various polls.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31653: May 31, 2015 08:35:04 pm
      Mick everyone wants Liverpool to succeed irrespective of who the manager is, that should answer your question. Maybe you should redirect your question to the posters who were right behind him in January and have changed their minds and now want him gone. Maybe it will be better to wait till Fenway get to Anfield before you cast aspersions on posters who wanted him gone pre Christmas.It is evident that the majority want Rodgers gone as is seen on various polls.

I'm not casting aspertions on anyone Billy, I'm simply curious as to how the lads who desperately want him out are going to go about themselves if does keep it. It's going to be a bit tricky for some given how absolutely unequivical they've been in their condemnation of the manager and iin their desire for us to go with someone new. It could be argued I suppose that if Brendan is as bad for the club as some of the lads claim, then it could be for the long term benefit of all if we DID start slowly and then had to change tack at Christmas, infact I'm absolutely certain that some people ARE of that view. I'm not casting anything at anybody, just curious as to how people will be carrying on next season.

What about yourself?   

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31654: May 31, 2015 08:39:19 pm
      I don't understand how Brendan will get a fair shake should he be kept. Anytime someone falls on the pitch there will be calls for Brendan's head.

i just wonder if they appoint someone new how long people will give that manager? Will they turn their back on him if he struggles?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31655: May 31, 2015 08:48:29 pm
      I'm not casting aspertions on anyone Billy, I'm simply curious as to how the lads who desperately want him out are going to go about themselves if does keep it. It's going to be a bit tricky for some given how absolutely unequivical they've been in their condemnation of the manager and iin their desire for us to go with someone new. It could be argued I suppose that if Brendan is as bad for the club as some of the lads claim, then it could be for the long term benefit of all if we DID start slowly and then had to change tack at Christmas, infact I'm absolutely certain that some people ARE of that view. I'm not casting anything at anybody, just curious as to how people will be carrying on next season.

What about yourself?   

Mick as per usual I go into every season thinking we will win the league and any cup we are in. I have wanted Rodgers gone since we started playing sh*te football this last season. I have never changed my stance on this and still do not believe he is the manager to lead us forward. I will throw a question back at you, if Rodgers is sacked this week and we get a new manager and we have a sh*te season will you still support the new manager or want him gone.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31656: May 31, 2015 08:58:26 pm
      Mick as per usual I go into every season thinking we will win the league and any cup we are in. I have wanted Rodgers gone since we started playing sh*te football this last season. I have never changed my stance on this and still do not believe he is the manager to lead us forward. I will throw a question back at you, if Rodgers is sacked this week and we get a new manager and we have a sh*te season will you still support the new manager or want him gone.

That's an easy one for me mate. If he has a sh!te season in his first season (the new manager) then I absolutely 100% would want him to stay, WHOEVER IT IS. It's obviously a lot more forgivable to have a "sh!te season" in your first one than it is in your third (in my view anyway) so I'd have no problems whatsoever being right behind him. This is of course if he doesn't go on Hodgsonesque rants against our own supporters, I couldn't abide that.

I guess the debateable point might by what I count as a "sh!te season" and what others count as it. For instance, if he matched this seasons "sh!te season", sixth in the league and two domestic cup semi finals, I personally wouldn't count that as sh!te. Now I know we all want more, and I know us old f*ckers can remember when that would be a disaster, but given our recent history and given how much wages/fees we pay compared to the top four, I don't think it's reasonable to EXPECT a whole lot more. We can hope obviously (and there's no bigger dreamer than me), but realistically we are unbelievably up against it to become on the best four teams in the division. From there, we will need a fair bit of luck of the draw in the cups in order to win one. I mean, draw Arsenal away or Chelsea away and we are bang up against it, draw them at home and we've got a good stab at it.

I know these things aren't pallatable to talk about, but it's where we are. My biggest fear is that we get rid of Brendan, bring a new man in and this time next year the fans want a change again. There's no mileage for a team which cannot dominate financially to continually change the manager. Next season I'll be 100% behind WHOEVER it is. 

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #31657: May 31, 2015 09:04:00 pm

But who do you want to replace Rodgers with billy? This question cannot be underesimated given what we experienced five years ago. This is a serious question that many faltered on when they got their wish when Rafa left..... and we got Hodgson.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #31658: May 31, 2015 09:05:07 pm
      No, Carol Burnett from the 1982 film Annie.

Ahh very good
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,164 posts | 829 
      Reply #31659: May 31, 2015 09:07:21 pm
      I don't understand how Brendan will get a fair shake should he be kept. Anytime someone falls on the pitch there will be calls for Brendan's head.

i just wonder if they appoint someone new how long people will give that manager? Will they turn their back on him if he struggles?

Every manager needs at least 3 years but in 3 years there should be shown constant improvement. I think only a minority wanted Rodgers to get fired in his first season, because it would be preposterous even if we finished 7th (it's a transitional period).

From last season we should have built on that, we got 2nd almost won the league because we only had the league to play for after early exists from domestic cups. Now imagine if we ended up 3rd place this year and winning a trophy, then this would have also been a great improvement because it would have shown that the manager is a good one who could handle the pressure of fighting in every competition while still doing well in the league, and I don't think ANY fan would go against him if that scenario happened, because again it shows that he would be the RIGHT man to lead us forward.

1st season: 7th, no trophy
      2nd season: 2nd, no trophy
      3rd season: 3rd, FA cup (hypothetical scenario) - a good season and shows that Rodgers is the right man to lead us forward.

HOWEVER, it was never the case, the manager FAILED to improve, while wasting the odd 200m in the last 3 season we have failed to build on from last season and failed to win a trophy AGAIN. The excuses used like injuries or losing Suarez are just silly excuses to deviate from the incompetency of the manager who failed to deliver. The expectation going into the season was at least establishing a foothold in the top 4 while challenging for the title and winning a trophy, it is not much to ask for because of the performance of the season before.

Now imagine this scenario IF Rodgers gets the sack.

Klopp is hired
      1st season: 5th place, no trophy (gets another season because as usual first season is always a transitional season)
      2nd season: 3rd place, FA cup (good, there is improvement)
      3rd season: 2nd, almost winning the league, league cup (steady and consistent, good season)

etc...

Now this is just assuming that Klopp is the right person to lead us, let's assume the following worst case scenario:

1st season: 7th, no trophy (still deserves another season, you can't judge a manager after 1 season)
      2nd season: 4th, no trophy (improvement! small mistakes but deserves a 3rd)
      3rd season: 6th, no trophy (questions must be raised, no improvement, not the manager to lead us forward).

For me, 3 seasons is enough to know the capability of the manager to lead us forward, but I'm afraid Brendan Rodgers' time has come to an end and I don't think he is the right man.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31660: May 31, 2015 09:07:46 pm
      And if Brendan stays this next season and fails in the league, the cups an in Europe were we failed miserably will you still give him your full support this time next year Mick. I am just wandering where your cut off point is Mick. I think the 3 years Brendan Rodgers has had is long enough and it is time for change in manager and coaching staff.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31661: May 31, 2015 09:11:45 pm
      And if Brendan stays this next season and fails in the league, the cups an in Europe were we failed miserably will you still give him your full support this time next year Mick. I am just wandering where your cut off point is Mick. I think the 3 years Brendan Rodgers has had is long enough and it is time for change in manager and coaching staff.

Every manager has a cut off point mate. That's why I'm asking the question, given you lads have made it very clear that Brendan has in your eyes already gone past his. Would you rather he kind of succeeded next season and scraped us into fourth with no trophies and therefore kept his job again, or is your desire to see him gone sufficient to rather see him fail quickly and be shown the door?

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31662: May 31, 2015 09:23:16 pm
      But who do you want to replace Rodgers with billy? This question cannot be underesimated given what we experienced five years ago. This is a serious question that many faltered on when they got their wish when Rafa left..... and we got Hodgson.

It must of been a very small minority that wanted Hodgson to replace RAFA, also how would Rodgers have fared under Hicks and Gillette.
       If the managers named arrive at Anfield  It would be a step in the right direction, however with FSG as our owners it is futile nominating any particular man for the job. They are more likely to plump for someone we have never heard of.
      As an afterthought I would like to see Phil Thompson back on the coaching staff,he was more than capable when Houllier had his ticker problems.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31663: May 31, 2015 09:24:26 pm

First, no matter who comes in, new manager = 'lot of change' - on the pitch and in the staff. I would say we have almost no chance of top4 due to that alone. So unless he's a complete tw*t (ie. Roy), he'll need to be thrown some slack.
      Second, if the new man is operating under the same FSG economic policies, also due some slack as will again be buying potential and can take a while for that to reach fruition. The big clubs will scoop the big signings as they have been doing.
      Third, we already know that we need to sign at LEAST two decent strikers, a CM and an RB ... at least. And clear-out some of the sh*te brought in last summer (when it should be said yet AGAIN that BR wanted to bring in quality like Costa/Cesc/Sanchez etc but the CLUB!!! wasn't able to). If that doesn't happen, again going to make it hard for a new man.

So, when you ask whether people that support BR would support a NEW manager IF he has a 'sh*te first season' ... well, assuming the three things above don't change, I fully expect that he WILL struggle.
      AND what's more, I FULLY expect that it will be the people curently in the 75% against Rodgers, who will be the QUICKEST to turn on a new manager. Because if people can't accept that Rodgers is operating at a disadvantage compared to the current top4 (eg. we want a player, we try to get them, player goes someone else due to financial reasons) then why should they take that into account for the new man ?!

Vote for revolving door ... get revolving door...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31664: May 31, 2015 09:29:16 pm
      Every manager needs at least 3 years but in 3 years there should be shown constant improvement. I think only a minority wanted Rodgers to get fired in his first season, because it would be preposterous even if we finished 7th (it's a transitional period).

From last season we should have built on that, we got 2nd almost won the league because we only had the league to play for after early exists from domestic cups. Now imagine if we ended up 3rd place this year and winning a trophy, then this would have also been a great improvement because it would have shown that the manager is a good one who could handle the pressure of fighting in every competition while still doing well in the league, and I don't think ANY fan would go against him if that scenario happened, because again it shows that he would be the RIGHT man to lead us forward.

1st season: 7th, no trophy
      2nd season: 2nd, no trophy
      3rd season: 3rd, FA cup (hypothetical scenario) - a good season and shows that Rodgers is the right man to lead us forward.

HOWEVER, it was never the case, the manager FAILED to improve, while wasting the odd 200m in the last 3 season we have failed to build on from last season and failed to win a trophy AGAIN. The excuses used like injuries or losing Suarez are just silly excuses to deviate from the incompetency of the manager who failed to deliver. The expectation going into the season was at least establishing a foothold in the top 4 while challenging for the title and winning a trophy, it is not much to ask for because of the performance of the season before.

Now imagine this scenario IF Rodgers gets the sack.

Klopp is hired
      1st season: 5th place, no trophy (gets another season because as usual first season is always a transitional season)
      2nd season: 3rd place, FA cup (good, there is improvement)
      3rd season: 2nd, almost winning the league, league cup (steady and consistent, good season)

etc...

Now this is just assuming that Klopp is the right person to lead us, let's assume the following worst case scenario:

1st season: 7th, no trophy (still deserves another season, you can't judge a manager after 1 season)
      2nd season: 4th, no trophy (improvement! small mistakes but deserves a 3rd)
      3rd season: 6th, no trophy (questions must be raised, no improvement, not the manager to lead us forward).

For me, 3 seasons is enough to know the capability of the manager to lead us forward, but I'm afraid Brendan Rodgers' time has come to an end and I don't think he is the right man.

Why is three years the cut off? Is it because Brendan said judge me in three years? Is it because the typical contract is three years?

I'm not sure why people can necessarily expect a three year turnaround given the constrictions FSG puts on the manager. If Rafa comes back will he be given three years by supporters or will he be given as much time as needed based on his prior success with us?

I still believe that while there are some that want Brendan gone for valid reasons, there is a large group that want him gone because they don't like him personally. So for that group it does t matter what he does, they put their own personal feelings above the club's best interest.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,278 posts | 763 
      Reply #31665: May 31, 2015 09:30:02 pm
      After the unacceptable result at Stoke, feel it is time for Brendan to go. Also reckon all the travelling fans who witnessed the shambolic performance should be refunded their ticket money by the club.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31666: May 31, 2015 09:32:33 pm
      Very EASY to know what you are against.

Much harder to know what you are for.

Should 'Plan A' fail, ie. Klopp or Ancelloti decide they are not interested in LFC (and nobody's 100% sure if they've been approached seriously yet btw)  I haven't heard a serious 'Plan B' ... though am sure some of the 75% will be quick to come back with more classic suggestions like Bilic, Vilas Boas, and the like ... though of course they are in that 75% and must be right...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31667: May 31, 2015 09:33:23 pm
      After the unacceptable result at Stoke, feel it is time for Brendan to go. Also reckon all the travelling fans who witnessed the shambolic performance should be refunded their ticket money by the club.

So swap that Stoke loss with one of our early season wins, does Brendan still get the boot? And if not why does that one game matter that much? For me if you wanted Rodgers gone, that game shouldn't have mattered. Your mind should have already been made up. That game had very little consequence to our season compared to some of the more important ones we lost.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31668: May 31, 2015 09:35:01 pm

We need elite players.

An awful lot of 'elite's there ... but not much detail on how to make it happen.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1648 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31669: May 31, 2015 09:36:37 pm
      not you again. You really dont like the fact that you were wrong about Brendan do you and let me tell you something I will never take any advice from someone like you or your fence sitting American friend.carry on do your best or here a bit of advice freely given stay on topic because your valuable time is wasted trying to be smart or hard which clearly you are neither

An awful lot of backslapping going on in the 75%.

Have we changed manager already ??

Eh, no. Didn't think so...
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31670: May 31, 2015 09:38:29 pm
      Very EASY to know what you are against.

Much harder to know what you are for.

Should 'Plan A' fail, ie. Klopp or Ancelloti decide they are not interested in LFC (and nobody's 100% sure if they've been approached seriously yet btw)  I haven't heard a serious 'Plan B' ... though am sure some of the 75% will be quick to come back with more classic suggestions like Bilic, Vilas Boas, and the like ... though of course they are in that 75% and must be right...

So what are you saying you are in the 25% and must be wrong.

Quick Reply