Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 23rd of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W11 D4 L10

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3044372 times
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #33189: Jul 09, 2015 09:32:17 am

Head in the cloud all round then eh?

It’s not ridiculous. We did'nt finish there last year and have only managed one top 4 finish in 6 seasons. the target, is to get back in the CL... has to be! All this talk of winning leagues is based on one good season with Luis Suarez.

Let us all wake up and smell the Uruguayan shaped void shall we? It’s going to take a momentous effort to challenge for the title as well as a loss of form from at least 2 of the the5 teams that finished above us.

This isnt a negative view it is a realistic view.

I want us to win the league; I just can’t stand blind optimism for optimism sake. If things change I’ll call it, but I reiterate the only goal this season should be CL qualification. If I had a choice I’d want to win the EL for the CL qualification the club desperately needs, but I see a top 4 finish – in any position – the more realistic 

Can Brendan do this? The signings are positive and the backroom staff changes seem that way too. Still a lot to do.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #33190: Jul 09, 2015 09:40:38 am
      I said it before but guess it got missed

Its time for us to wake up to modern football and stop dreaming of halycon days of the 70's and 80's

Knockout domestic cups now have very little meaning beyond one day in London

They are a nicety but dont attract players or raise the commercial value of clubs

The league and Top 4 is the most crucial part of modern football now - our benchmark aim should always be first and foremost to gain access into the CL - everything progresses from consistent performances in the CL , thats what attracts the better established players , thats what allows us to keep the established players and thats what will help us challenge year in year out for the title.

Its not what we or any supporter wants to see but it happened and we either join that gravy train or we continue to be left behind.

For the club - getting a top 4 spot is more important than a FA Cup or League Cup - supporters may not like that but thats the reality of the game right now

The best post I've read on here for a long time.

this is what we have to accept... or be left behind, which if were honest, barring one awesome over achievement, we have been in recent years.

bang on RedJock!

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #33191: Jul 09, 2015 09:56:06 am
      The best post I've read on here for a long time.

this is what we have to accept... or be left behind, which if were honest, barring one awesome over achievement, we have been in recent years.

bang on RedJock!

Considering the amount of money we have invested over the last couple of years in transfers, the 8th richest club in the world and a title challenge is too unrealistic?

Get over you daft sods.

JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #33192: Jul 09, 2015 10:04:53 am
      Considering the amount of money we have invested over the last couple of years in transfers, the 8th richest club in the world and a title challenge is too unrealistic?

Get over you daft sods.

Of course it’s unrealistic... it’s not impossible just unrealistic!

It’s a gradual process and if the right processes are done (regardless of money invested and being the 8th richest club) over the next few seasons it will become apparent if a realistic title push is on the cards.

Right now, we are not there….

People should not get confused with optimism and blind hope
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #33193: Jul 09, 2015 10:08:47 am

Get over you daft sods.

I have to agree with this, well said.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #33194: Jul 09, 2015 10:11:22 am
      Raheem Sterling would stay at Liverpool, but only if they had a new manager. Sterling wants to leave Anfield because of Brendan Rodgers. He claims that the manager has repeatedly broken promises to keep their conversations private and that has pushed Sterling to give up on ever playing another match for Rodgers.

I said from the start that the kid was wrong to rely on his agent, but also that the club/manager handled very poorly this situation. Another clue that our manager can't cope with being at the helm of a great club like ours. They decided to scapegoat Sterling and it worked, his scum agent made it easy.
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,268 posts | 1000 
      Reply #33195: Jul 09, 2015 10:29:40 am
      I'm not and never have been Brendan's greatest fan , but the day we let some jumped up little pipsqueak dictate who the manager is, will be a very dark day for this great club!
      I doubt he would have been given the opportunities he's had here, at any other Club.
      I'll back the manager over him any day.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #33196: Jul 09, 2015 01:14:33 pm
      I said it. Not on here as I didnt want to be shot down, but I voiced it to local reds....albeit in a distinct whisper

Course you did. ;)
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33197: Jul 09, 2015 01:17:12 pm
      To be fair though Mingle very few said that at the time.

I think there was quite a few Si, might have fallen on deaf ears at the time though.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,170 posts | 4904 
      Reply #33198: Jul 09, 2015 01:25:01 pm
      I think there was quite a few Si, might have fallen on deaf ears at the time though.

Really mate?

I don't recall much of it, if any, when we were on that run.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #33199: Jul 09, 2015 01:36:29 pm

Its time for us to wake up to modern football and stop dreaming of halycon days of the 70's and 80's

They are a nicety but dont attract players or raise the commercial value of clubs

The league and Top 4 is the most crucial part of modern football now - our benchmark aim should always be first and foremost to gain access into the CL - everything progresses from consistent performances in the CL , thats what attracts the better established players , thats what allows us to keep the established players and thats what will help us challenge year in year out for the title.

Its not what we or any supporter wants to see but it happened and we either join that gravy train or we continue to be left behind.

For the club - getting a top 4 spot is more important than a FA Cup or League Cup - supporters may not like that but thats the reality of the game right now

so 2005 and 2007 CL finals are now considered "Halcyon days". The FA CUP Final is broadcast to 100 Countries worldwide with an audience of over 500 million and you think a sponsor would not find that attractive? The day a Cup final means nothing to this club then it truly will be a sorry day and having been to Wembley many times its an experience of a lifetimeand  every Red should have it (unless you get beat by UTD). You cannot decide which game is more important than an other one ask Billy (DLS) he thinks we should win every game we play and he is right a club of this size should want to win the League, the FA Cup, the League Cup and this season the Europa league. If we challenge in the league and go far in the CL each season with a trip to wembley each year then players will come for sure.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,004 posts | 3952 
      Reply #33200: Jul 09, 2015 01:41:10 pm
      Sterling would stay at Anfield under a manager that didn't kick off when he misses training, snorts coke, smokes blow, beats his bird up and generally acts like a c**t......good luck with that one Raheem.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #33201: Jul 09, 2015 02:07:25 pm
      Really mate?

I don't recall much of it, if any, when we were on that run.

There was quite a bit of talk about it mate, I remember discussing it and if you remember Mourinho was discussing it also.

There was also still plenty of criticism of the transfers and in game management at the time. I think some are looking back at that time with rose-tinted spectacles.
      JustMingle
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 982 posts | 62 
      • 6 Times
      Reply #33202: Jul 09, 2015 02:08:23 pm

you'd have to be up for a fight and massive backlash to express that on here pre last season. And I'm a fully fledged, 100% coward!!

but as i say... i did speak about it down this way (Essex)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #33203: Jul 09, 2015 02:38:20 pm
      There was quite a bit of talk about it mate, I remember discussing it and if you remember Mourinho was discussing it also.

There was also still plenty of criticism of the transfers and in game management at the time. I think some are looking back at that time with rose-tinted spectacles.

Poyet said we'd be a mid-table team without Suarez. To which I rebutted on here that our average points return was better with only Sturridge that season and the half season before it.

I think it's a bullshit, "no sh*t, Sherlock" argument. World class players change teams. With SAS last season we probably challenge again, with Sturridge last season we get top 4, without either of them we finish like we did last season, in 6th.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #33204: Jul 09, 2015 02:50:11 pm
      God forbid this is what the majority of our fans will think, this is exactly SMALL CLUB mentality (even Spurs fans don't have this type of thinking), hopefully the majority is ambitious and aren't used to mediocrity. Getting back in the mix again ? This is our goal this season ? This is how low Brendan has got us and maybe from this point of view i understand your low expectations of this season. But we should be aiming for the title, and see where that gets us, unfortunately i bet the gaffer has the same thinking as you, he's in way over his head at Liverpool FC.

Bollocks - I'm expecting the domestic triple and Europa League this season - hope there aren't more fans like you dragging us down with your mediocrity.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #33205: Jul 09, 2015 03:16:15 pm

Excellent post.

At this point we are weighed down by our history. We could literally hire the best manager in world football and from day one he would be set upon by the usual idiots who have a vendetta against the owners for sacking Kenny. We would hear all the usual sh*t about his dress sense or his girlfriend or the fact he said something different to Shankly.

People need to wake up to the reality of where we are.

Maybe Brendan was lucky two seasons ago and everything was down to Suarez.

But maybe not.

People have forgotten already that, not only did we narrowly miss out on the most important title in our history - we did it playing some of the most exciting football this club has ever seen.

We were smashing other clubs 6-3, 4-1, 5-3.

We beat Man City's billionaires 3-2. We stuffed the Bitters 4-0. We smashed Spurs 4-0 and 5-0. We hammered Arsenal 5-1.

Sorry, but it's hard to believe that was all down to Suarez. If it was then what does that say about Kenny as a manager?

Anyone who knows the first thing about football understands how hard it is to construct a side that is capable of those kinds of results.

Last season, the manager was hobbled pretty much from the beginning with the loss of Suarez and Sturridge - even around November he had to abandon our original plans and focus on getting results because he was coming under pressure from the usual quarters.

The idiots are thus the biggest impediment to this club's success. We do not yet know whether Brendan is going to prove to be the man for the massive task of getting us back to the top but, given our performances in 2013-14, he needs to be given a fair chance to let things play out with the full support of the fans - which is a big advantage that Klopp, for example, has had.

Attacking the man and demanding a change every season for non-footballing reasons is F***ing small-time behaviour.
      RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #33206: Jul 09, 2015 06:18:48 pm
      Head in the cloud all round then eh?

It’s not ridiculous. We did'nt finish there last year and have only managed one top 4 finish in 6 seasons. the target, is to get back in the CL... has to be! All this talk of winning leagues is based on one good season with Luis Suarez.

Let us all wake up and smell the Uruguayan shaped void shall we? It’s going to take a momentous effort to challenge for the title as well as a loss of form from at least 2 of the the5 teams that finished above us.

This isnt a negative view it is a realistic view.

I want us to win the league; I just can’t stand blind optimism for optimism sake. If things change I’ll call it, but I reiterate the only goal this season should be CL qualification. If I had a choice I’d want to win the EL for the CL qualification the club desperately needs, but I see a top 4 finish – in any position – the more realistic 

Can Brendan do this? The signings are positive and the backroom staff changes seem that way too. Still a lot to do.

Your view sets us out to fail from the off.

We should always make the title the goal and if we fall short then we may still make top 4. But to set the stall out and say the ultimate goal is top 4 is ridiculous in my book, it's setting ourselves up to fail before the season even kicks off.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #33207: Jul 09, 2015 06:40:01 pm
      Sterling would stay at Anfield under a manager that didn't kick off when he misses training, snorts coke, smokes blow, beats his bird up and generally acts like a c**t......good luck with that one Raheem.

When has he ever been said to have done coke?
      The rest of your points are fair enough but is there any evidence for doing drugs?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #33208: Jul 09, 2015 06:57:29 pm
      There's a difference between a DLS style "we're gonna do the quadruple" every season and a genuine refusal to accept that we are at least going to stop overnight at base camp if we are going to climb the mountain.

Of course the sub-text of the people who claim we should be winning the Premiership and/or the FA Cup is more obvious than they think. What they are essentially saying is that if we don't, then it automatically follows that the manager is a c*** and he should be sacked. There's nothing so predictable as people.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #33209: Jul 09, 2015 07:35:30 pm
      so 2005 and 2007 CL finals are now considered "Halcyon days". The FA CUP Final is broadcast to 100 Countries worldwide with an audience of over 500 million and you think a sponsor would not find that attractive? The day a Cup final means nothing to this club then it truly will be a sorry day and having been to Wembley many times its an experience of a lifetimeand  every Red should have it (unless you get beat by UTD). You cannot decide which game is more important than an other one ask Billy (DLS) he thinks we should win every game we play and he is right a club of this size should want to win the League, the FA Cup, the League Cup and this season the Europa league. If we challenge in the league and go far in the CL each season with a trip to wembley each year then players will come for sure.

I dont think i said 05 and 07 were part of the Halcyon Days ?

It doesnt matter how many countries the FA Cup is broadcast to it doesnt change the drop in standing the competition has now.

Players dont go to clubs to get FA Cup Medals - they go for titles and CL.

Yes the domestic cups are great days out but after thats done it doesnt help the club going forward. Getting top 4 does and right now thats what our club needs over anything esle - regular CL football.
      RedJock
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 312 posts | 40 
      Reply #33210: Jul 09, 2015 07:37:33 pm

Get over you daft sods.

Yes it is unrealistic to expect a title challenge right now - we dont have the squad to challenge for the title.

RedWilly

• 9,185 posts | 1636 
      Reply #33211: Jul 09, 2015 07:52:37 pm
      There's a difference between a DLS style "we're gonna do the quadruple" every season and a genuine refusal to accept that we are at least going to stop overnight at base camp if we are going to climb the mountain.

Of course the sub-text of the people who claim we should be winning the Premiership and/or the FA Cup is more obvious than they think. What they are essentially saying is that if we don't, then it automatically follows that the manager is a c*** and he should be sacked. There's nothing so predictable as people.

Given I'd just said the target should always be the title I'll take it that's directed at me.

And that's horseshit, the reason we should target the title every season is to ensure we have a winners mentality and we aren't a team who get the excuses in early. Maybe some of us just refuse to accept the dampening of expectations, which has absolutely nothing to do with the manager.
      Theres nothing wrong with being ambitious and wanting to actually exceed expectations, instead of stating we are targeting the bare minimum.

Quick Reply