Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3031996 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #33672: Aug 10, 2015 06:46:11 pm
      if you can win playing sh*te away to Stoke we are in for one hell of a season.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #33673: Aug 10, 2015 08:26:29 pm
      Is our more direct style a result of brendan's new missus asking him to make his balls longer
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33674: Aug 10, 2015 08:38:10 pm
      Is our more direct style a result of brendan's new missus asking him to make his balls longer

Balls deep I think is the new shout.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #33675: Aug 10, 2015 08:44:00 pm
      Balls deep I think is the new shout.

balls deep into the box are the way forward
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #33676: Aug 10, 2015 09:00:23 pm
      The fact that we won yesterday against a team that hammered us 6-1 not even three months ago is an amazing feat. How we won doesn't matter, the fact is we won; we earned those three points.

I absolutely disagree.  Take last season for example.  In March we went away and played terribly at Swansea, but we won 1-0, and afterwards everyone said "oh it doesn't matter how we won, all that matters is THAT we won...."

Absolutely wrong.  The warning signs were there.  It DID matter how we won.  Because it might've been good enough to squeak by Swansea, but if we kept playing like that we would get found out, and very fast.

Lo and behold, it happened.  The next week we lost at Anfield to the Mancs, playing the same sh*te football; the next game we got destroyed 4-1 at Arsenal.  Then in less than a month we got played off the park by Villa in the semi final of the FA Cup while some child named Grealish danced around our midfield.  In that same month we lost to Hull.  Hull.  Who got relegated because they were so sh*te.

Maybe if someone had taken a look at the Swansea game in March and said "okay, we won, but that was NOT good enough and we need to change something ASAP, this won't cut it against the Mancs and Arsenal,"---maybe the results that came afterwards would have been different. 

We lost out on fourth by eight points.  United: 70.  Us: 62.  Just taking those league games I mentioned above---had we beaten the Mancs that would have been a 6 point swing, they would have been on 67 points and us on 63.  Beat Hull and suddenly we're on 66 points.  Draw at Arsenal and we're suddenly level with them for fourth on 67.  Beat Palace at home instead of losing 1-3 and we're on 70 and WE finish fourth.

So yes.  It absolutely matters how poorly we play, even when we win.  If we had cared more about it after the Swansea game then maybe our season would've turned out differently.

No one looks back at last season and says "well we had a terrible season but at least we twatted Spurs away in August."  No.  What matters is the whole season.  And before you say "the season has just started," have a look at the games we've got coming up.  We don't have the luxury of finding our groove in December.  We've got to hit the ground running, and fast.  And if we play like that yesterday we are going to be in massive trouble.

But you go ahead with your short-termism if that's what you want to do.  Me, I'd rather we finish in the top four and celebrate that than have an orgasm after barely beating a sh*te Stoke team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33677: Aug 10, 2015 09:04:33 pm
      I absolutely disagree.  Take last season for example.  In March we went away and played terribly at Swansea, but we won 1-0, and afterwards everyone said "oh it doesn't matter how we won, all that matters is THAT we won...."

Absolutely wrong.  The warning signs were there.  It DID matter how we won.  Because it might've been good enough to squeak by Swansea, but if we kept playing like that we would get found out, and very fast.

Lo and behold, it happened.  The next week we lost at Anfield to the Mancs, playing the same sh*te football; the next game we got destroyed 4-1 at Arsenal.  Then in less than a month we got played off the park by Villa in the semi final of the FA Cup while some child named Grealish danced around our midfield.  In that same month we lost to Hull.  Hull.  Who got relegated because they were so sh*te.

Maybe if someone had taken a look at the Swansea game in March and said "okay, we won, but that was NOT good enough and we need to change something ASAP, this won't cut it against the Mancs and Arsenal,"---maybe the results that came afterwards would have been different. 

We lost out on fourth by eight points.  United: 70.  Us: 62.  Just taking those league games I mentioned above---had we beaten the Mancs that would have been a 6 point swing, they would have been on 67 points and us on 63.  Beat Hull and suddenly we're on 66 points.  Draw at Arsenal and we're suddenly level with them for fourth on 67.  Beat Palace at home instead of losing 1-3 and we're on 70 and WE finish fourth.

So yes.  It absolutely matters how poorly we play, even when we win.  If we had cared more about it after the Swansea game then maybe our season would've turned out differently.

No one looks back at last season and says "well we had a terrible season but at least we twatted Spurs away in August."  No.  What matters is the whole season.  And before you say "the season has just started," have a look at the games we've got coming up.  We don't have the luxury of finding our groove in December.  We've got to hit the ground running, and fast.  And if we play like that yesterday we are going to be in massive trouble.

But you go ahead with your short-termism if that's what you want to do.  Me, I'd rather we finish in the top four and celebrate that than have an orgasm after barely beating a sh*te Stoke team.

Again...Shed End forum is that way.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #33678: Aug 10, 2015 09:07:36 pm

ok, so you don't think we should learn from playing poorly, as long as we win. 

I hope to god the backroom staff have more perspective than you do!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #33679: Aug 10, 2015 09:11:16 pm

Ultimately as long as we score more than the other team then that is more important than the performance and I would say I bet you'd be happy if we done that enough times to win the league but I bet even then you'd still find reason to bi*ch, moan and generally try dragging everyone and everything to do with this club down with your general rubbish time and time again just because it's almost as if you want this club to fail so you can say "I told you so".
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #33680: Aug 10, 2015 09:16:30 pm
      Ultimately as long as we score more than the other team then that is more important than the performance and I would say I bet you'd be happy if we done that enough times to win the league

if we win the league playing like that then fair play.

Highly unlikely though. 

if we do then I'll eat my words.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #33681: Aug 10, 2015 09:27:44 pm

That's called "losing form" and is part & parcel of football. Happens to every team every season, it's just how it is. The fact we were gaining points while out of form is something.

As I said earlier, not our job as fans to declare that something needs to change. We just need to leave that down to the people in charge and celebrate the win. If we criticised every win then we'd be like you - never able to enjoy or celebrate a win.

Christ, 'if's and 'but's mate. 'If's and 'but's.

And on the other side of the coin, nobody will look back fondly at any season where we perform fantastically game-in, game-out and only come out with 65 points and say, "well we had a great season - look at our performances! Points mean sh*t these days, anyway!".

The season HAS just started - for everyone! Not one team has started this season looking exceptional. Everybody has to play to gain form, everybody has made signings, we are not at a disadvantage.

You're full of it. Absolutely full of it.

Tell you what - F**k off and don't celebrate, worry about the season ahead thinking that we're not playing well enough. But don't spout your crap here under any circumstances, as nobody agrees with you. Keep it to yourself, yeah?

As for me, I'll still look back on those three points from yesterday and smile. We're on the right track. The performances will come, I know that.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #33682: Aug 10, 2015 09:35:19 pm

A: The Swansea game was mid-season, not the first traditionally scrappy game of a season.
      B: We had 5 debutants playing yesterday (4 started) so if you expect them to hit off instantly, then you are obviously more stupid than you seem.
      C: Stoke is a f**king hard place to come to - do you not remember only recently we got pumped 6-1 by them?
      D: If you are a fan who jumped on the bandwagon when we nearly won the league, jump off and piss off back to the City or Chelsea forum.

You seem to live in your own deluded little world whereby you expect us to be world-beaters every weekend and that the recent catastrophes on the field never occurred. The rest of us are taking it from the realisitic perspective of progress from the clusterfuck of the tail end of last season. Real fans don't forget that kind of sh*t - you with your idiotic delusions obviously have, and we are happy for the meantime by wiping the slate clean, starting afresh and giving ourselves the chance to push on from here on.

Nobody thinks the result at Stoke is championship material, but we are delighted by giving ourselves a foundation to push on from here when prior to the Stoke match, a lot of us felt pretty hopeless.

If you can't empathise with that, or if you can't appreciate some fans relief and pleasure at winning, then f**k off, this forum is not for WUMs like you.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #33683: Aug 10, 2015 09:44:12 pm
      That's called "losing form" and is part & parcel of football. Happens to every team every season, it's just how it is. The fact we were gaining points while out of form is something.

So you're saying there's nothing that can be done about it.  A team just loses form at random and it's totally out of anyone's control?  come on mate that is absurd and you know it.  There are always reasons.  We didn't "lose form," we played like sh*te because the midfield was awful, because our fullbacks were terrible, our CBs had no partnership, we had players constantly being played out of position, etc etc.  You act like everything was perfect but for some inexplicable reason we just couldn't make it work.

Christ, 'if's and 'but's mate. 'If's and 'but's.

it's not.  I'm saying that had we learned our lesson from the Swansea loss we could've at least limited the damage from the games that followed instead of letting it destroy our season.

don't celebrate, worry about the season ahead thinking that we're not playing well enough. But don't spout your crap here under any circumstances, as nobody agrees with you.

really?  Seems like a lot of people agreed with me up until we scored:

Midfield getting dominated a little, not surprising with just 2 in there and the support isn't coming for Benteke who has been isolated.
      I hate this one up front thing.  I always have.
      No improvement whatsoever so far from last season, regarding flow of play, pretty dull, unispiring football played by our team.
      We're just giving it away too often
      It just feels like we don't have a plan. We're not attacking with real purpose at all.
      We really, really need to change our set up.  BRENDAN IT IS NOT WORKING.
      We look absolute sh*te to be honest
      Disjointed performance so far
      So this is long ball stuff is it now? Brendan, that is the sign of a man without ideas, come off it for goodness sake.

etc etc.  Oh but I'm the only one who thought we didn't play well.... those posts must be just a figment of my imagination...

Anyway.  Things only changed when Can came on.  i.e., a managerial decision.  Not some voodoo "in form" and "out of form."  A choice.  A conscious decision to make a change.  And wonder of wonders, it changed the game. 

So you see, it does indeed matter, if you learn from your mistakes.  You then fix them.  And good things happen.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #33684: Aug 10, 2015 09:54:12 pm
      So you're saying there's nothing that can be done about it.  A team just loses form at random and it's totally out of anyone's control?  come on mate that is absurd and you know it.  There are always reasons.  We didn't "lose form," we played like sh*te because the midfield was awful, because our fullbacks were terrible, our CBs had no partnership, we had players constantly being played out of position, etc etc.  You act like everything was perfect but for some inexplicable reason we just couldn't make it work.

it's not.  I'm saying that had we learned our lesson from the Swansea loss we could've at least limited the damage from the games that followed instead of letting it destroy our season.

etc etc.  Oh but I'm the only one who thought we didn't play well.... those posts must be just a figment of my imagination...

Anyway.  Things only changed when Can came on.  i.e., a managerial decision.  Not some voodoo "in form" and "out of form."  A choice.  A conscious decision to make a change.  And wonder of wonders, it changed the game. 

So you see, it does indeed matter, if you learn from your mistakes.  You then fix them.  And good things happen.

Um... I'd just like to point out that you're bringing up excerpts from the Match Thread to back yourself up. Everybody's an expert in those threads :roll: - they're generally knee-jerk reactions.

We won. We got three points. Go and celebrate. Stop debating this, it's not worth my time.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #33685: Aug 10, 2015 10:08:50 pm
      Fed lad are you only happy when you're moaning?
      F**k last season, it has absolutely no bearing on what's going to happen this season. We can bemoan last season's sh*te for all eternity, or we can get on with what's currently happening, we just won in perhaps the most testing ground in the country, we didn't play fantastic flowing football, but nobody will away to stoke.
      Brendan tried a team selection out, it did ok, defended well, a bit soft going forward through,he then made positive changes, they worked!

Jobs a f***in good un!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #33686: Aug 10, 2015 10:10:17 pm

Did you read my post you idiot? Nobody is saying we played well, but we are pleased we won. You aren't pleased we won, you'd rather we have lost - because you are a WUM who doesn't support Liverpool. RedCafe, Bluemoon, Shed End, etc - these are the forums for tossers like you.
      coxxy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 11 posts |
      Reply #33687: Aug 10, 2015 10:19:41 pm
      we won, it was a pretty game, 3 points, you get them, we have lots of options to change things, several we can still sell and some youth to bring through. Lets stay positive and happy, win against Bournemouth and we will have good confidence, we don't need to fear anyone, we are liverpoolfc.

On another note, its the last few hours of voting for the Liverpool Fc Supporters Committee posts and I have been shortlisted to the last 3 in the Season Ticket Holders Post and would appreciate any votes.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/190068-vote-to-help-shape-future-of-the-club

thanks, paul wilcox.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #33688: Aug 11, 2015 10:44:24 am
      we won, it was a pretty game, 3 points, you get them, we have lots of options to change things, several we can still sell and some youth to bring through. Lets stay positive and happy, win against Bournemouth and we will have good confidence, we don't need to fear anyone, we are liverpoolfc.

On another note, its the last few hours of voting for the Liverpool Fc Supporters Committee posts and I have been shortlisted to the last 3 in the Season Ticket Holders Post and would appreciate any votes.

http://liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/190068-vote-to-help-shape-future-of-the-club

thanks, paul wilcox.

has the vote finished now hope so.
      Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #33689: Aug 11, 2015 01:34:42 pm
      Even Corballyred would be impressed with your ability to highlight the negatives of a win Fed.
      Scottbot

• 9,542 posts | 2135 
      Reply #33690: Aug 11, 2015 02:55:54 pm
      I absolutely disagree.  Take last season for example.  In March we went away and played terribly at Swansea, but we won 1-0, and afterwards everyone said "oh it doesn't matter how we won, all that matters is THAT we won...."Absolutely wrong.  The warning signs were there.  It DID matter how we won.  Because it might've been good enough to squeak by Swansea, but if we kept playing like that we would get found out, and very fast.Lo and behold, it happened.  The next week we lost at Anfield to the Mancs, playing the same sh*te football; the next game we got destroyed 4-1 at Arsenal.  Then in less than a month we got played off the park by Villa in the semi final of the FA Cup while some child named Grealish danced around our midfield.  In that same month we lost to Hull.  Hull.  Who got relegated because they were so sh*te.

I'm not sure this is necessarily so relevant when applied to our opening League match of the season given there are lots of variables at this time of year (ie. no previous form to benchmark against, players still finding fitness, late back from international football etc) however, as far as the manager goes and in relation to last season it is a good point to make.

It wasn't just the Swansea game last season, we had a little run (I think it was Blackburn in the Cup) where we struggled in both matches (the draw and then winning the replay) which preceded the Swansea game. It was clear over this small run of games that the opposition had finally got to grips with our 3-4-3 formation which for the previous 3 months no one had been able to live with. Brendan stuck with this set-up for several games after and it really hurt us. This season I would like to see him react more quickly when something ceases to work. It drove me nuts last season when we kept persisting with the same approach even as the wheels were falling off.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #33691: Aug 11, 2015 03:01:57 pm
      has the vote finished now hope so.

Ha ha
      football999
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #33692: Aug 11, 2015 04:26:20 pm
      Rodgers will get us in the top 4 this season. He knows what he is doing.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,101 posts | 125 
      Reply #33693: Aug 11, 2015 06:54:11 pm
       :lmao: :
      Rodgers will get us in the top 4 this season. He knows what he is doing.

Is that you Brendan?, is it?, cant fool us.  Nice teeth by the way  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:

Welcome to the forum mate  :)
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #33694: Aug 11, 2015 07:21:28 pm

Nice to see you quoting me and totally removing all context, the context being that I was addressing a Martin Skrtel backpass as opposed to the overall performance of the team.

Again, take your Chavski/rent boy supporting brain of yours and apply it to the place you really love - the Shed End forums. You can talk about your experience of the only Liverpool game you've ever seen live (incidentally at Stamford Bridge) and w*nk yourself silly over Mourinho and his men and defend their racist fans like you defended them on here.

Quick Reply