Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032250 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34362: Sep 01, 2015 01:29:24 pm
      What's the local mood up there?

Is it patience or get him out?

The local mood is very much like the general demeanour - a willingness to accept scapegoats however seems more in evidence outside the L postcode.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34363: Sep 01, 2015 01:39:26 pm
      The worst part about all this for me is, I want a manager in who I can really get behind, Rodgers whilst he has my support and I see the West Ham result as a bedding in process for our new arrivals (there was 5 of them pitch), I don't feel the need to defend him at all, where as with Rafa and Kenny, I'd be defending them to the hilt.

Even during our title challenge I never felt the same kind of allegiance to Rodgers as I have the likes of Kenny, Evans, Houllier, Rafa and that for me is symbolic of Rodgers as the manager of our club, its not about trophies as I'd have followed Rafa in jumping off a bridge for some of the nights he brought to Liverpool FC.

With Rodgers I started to getting that way when we were playing free flowing football but still had my concerns about his ability to get the results when we really needed them, which was hammered home during the crushing game against Palace, Rafa in my opinion would have killed that game off and said thanks very much for the 3 points, maybe not what we needed in terms of the goal difference, but may have put more pressure on City and who knows how they would have reacted ?

I honestly think Rodgers needs to have sit down with himself, identify with what made the title challenge season a success and use that both as a blue print both for future success and player recruitment, because to be honest I think he's lost his way a little.

Bit unfair this - there were plenty who didn't get behind Rafa because he was too defensive.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #34364: Sep 01, 2015 01:49:15 pm
      Makes sense completely. But don't you think a proper, top manager (hell, even an average one) would have gone out and signed a new competent center back if that was the case instead of putting a band-aid over a bullet hole?

A top manager or an average one might sign a competent centre back, the proposition however does get over-complicated when you consider the top manager or an average one, a transfer committee and JWH's fee priorities have to be seen to align before we can sign a competent player of any kind.
      Maybe that's the reason the out-going superstars are replaced by potential.
      The definition of competency appears diluted by a variety of priorities, football should be the only one. 
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34365: Sep 01, 2015 01:49:15 pm
      Bit unfair this - there were plenty who didn't get behing Rafa because he was too defensive.

I'm talking about me personally and how I feel, not for every one else.

To put it bluntly, I'd have walked into battle with Evans, Dalglish, Rafa, Houllier, where as I'd tell Rodgers to fight his own.

I don't quite know what it is, I can't seem to put my finger on it or fully understand why, but there's a disconnect between myself and Rodgers as manager of Liverpool FC, doesn't mean I won't support him though and hope he does well for the club.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,114 posts | 4878 
      Reply #34366: Sep 01, 2015 01:54:52 pm

To put it bluntly, I'd have walked into battle with Evans, Dalglish, Rafa, Houllier, where as I'd tell Rodgers to fight his own.

I don't quite know what it is, I can't seem to put my finger on it or fully understand why, but there's a disconnect between myself and Rodgers as manager of Liverpool FC, doesn't mean I won't support him though and hope he does well for the club.

I think most would probably feel the same Daz.

While I hope, and want, Brendan to do well this season I'm not sure many would miss him if he was sacked at some point.

I was truly gutted when Rafa and Kenny got the boot.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34367: Sep 01, 2015 01:55:34 pm

I agree, and agreed with your earlier post too.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34368: Sep 01, 2015 02:08:14 pm
      I think most would probably feel the same Daz.

Its a weird place to be mate, as other than Hodgson, I've never felt this disconnect with a Liverpool Manager, not even Souness, in saying that I was still a youngun running round the football pitch with Beardsley 7 plastered on the back of my Candy home strip, so probably naive to the other aspects of football then.

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34369: Sep 01, 2015 02:08:33 pm

I don't quite know what it is, I can't seem to put my finger on it or fully understand why

You don't believe he's the right man for Liverpool.
      Understandable.
      Maybe that's the hardest thing to accept.

When things turned for Rafa we had seen enough to say back him and he'll turn it around.
      The club didn't. (We all know why. I don't want to go into it again. Massive loss.)

When things turned for Kenny we had a loyalty to him from everything he had done for the club.

Brendan has yet to convince the fans he is the right man for the job.
      Events transpiring since the departure of Suarez have made it look like the player rather than the manager was responsible for the phenomenal run that nearly won the title for LFC.

That's where we're at.
      Over to you Brendan.
      « Last Edit: Sep 01, 2015 04:31:53 pm by racerx34 »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34370: Sep 01, 2015 03:28:03 pm
      Brendan is never going to be loved here...I think more and more that's apparent. There are those that dug their axe so far into his back that even if we went on to win the Europa League it still wouldn't garner him any grace. And there's enough of those to offset the few with more patience that it's only going to fracture the support of the club. I've backed him to get his fair shot at getting it turned around this year but there's a small part of me that would almost welcome his departure if it meant that all the Brendan haters would climb back down their holes and this place could be half cordial for awhile.

But....I guarantee he's got the rest of this year unless something castastrophic happens. FSG seem to be here for the long term and as long as they are making money on investment they aren't going to upset their apple cart.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34371: Sep 01, 2015 03:38:56 pm
      Brendan is never going to be loved here...

Brendan has had 3 full seasons to endear himself to the supporters, that's almost six times as long as Roy Hodgson, twice as long as Kenny in his second stint.

Being brutally honest, I try and avoid any watching any TV interviews with him as half the time I'm left thinking WTF whilst scratching my head.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34372: Sep 01, 2015 03:50:39 pm
      its all down to him not the fans.What a load of bollox the fans will never love him he was given plenty of love when he did his job right by picking the right team and the right tactics unfortunately that was for just 38 league games . Win a trophy or challenge for the league its what every other Liverpool manager has done (I dont include Roy as a LFC manager) never mind the SToke and W.ham games remember the FA Cup semi final we looked like F***ing zombies torn apart by Villa.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #34373: Sep 01, 2015 03:52:28 pm

But you don't think he's a great character?

Just a strong set of morals, truly great character as a boss .  ;)

All jokes aside, I don't personally like him either. Judging by the way he talks in the media and the way things have played out, just not much of a fan of him. Wouldn't be friends with him, let alone go into battle with him. Just doesn't seem as genuine to me as when he started.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #34374: Sep 01, 2015 03:57:00 pm
      Good start to the season but that home defeat has yet again highlighted weakness in this team. We go a goal down early and show no "character" as breandan would have put it. We never looked like we was going to get back into the game and lacked leadership to gee up the lads. We dont seem to fight anymore with too many players going missing when our backs against the wall. Hendo needs to be back for UTD as we cant afford 2 loses on the bounce time for Brendan to step up and change the formation get two strikers on and start scoring some goals.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34375: Sep 01, 2015 04:05:06 pm
      Brendan is never going to be loved here...I think more and more that's apparent. .

I've backed him to get his fair shot

I've personally done nothing but back him in his time here mate, as with managers in the role at the club I have backed him, and even though I'm not vocally against him I'm starting to get to the point I'm finding it very difficult to see anything to hang onto that we are going in the right direction under him, that's a shame but it's how I see it, it's constant restart and rebuild and I see nothing to prove to me that there is now anything going to change in that

I am very loyal to my managers but I won't be blindly loyal if I struggle to see the end vision

It's rinse and repeat the mistakes every year and I'm getting impatient at not being able to see where we are going
      Had we been on a steady rise over his tenure and putting constant blocks to build upon each 12 months towards a tangible end goal I'd be fully behind him however it seems it's square one every August with bluff and bollocks and I won't blindly follow that just to be seen as loyal. We are knowledgable and to that end we are smart enough to see when something isn't really progressing

I still think he will get the season, I hope to god he gets us going, I won't slag him off, he will have my support in games but I'm running short of belief that we are getting anywhere
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34376: Sep 01, 2015 04:16:17 pm
      Brendan is never going to be loved here...I think more and more that's apparent. There are those that dug their axe so far into his back that even if we went on to win the Europa League it still wouldn't garner him any grace. And there's enough of those to offset the few with more patience that it's only going to fracture the support of the club. I've backed him to get his fair shot at getting it turned around this year but there's a small part of me that would almost welcome his departure if it meant that all the Brendan haters would climb back down their holes and this place could be half cordial for awhile.

But....I guarantee he's got the rest of this year unless something castastrophic happens. FSG seem to be here for the long term and as long as they are making money on investment they aren't going to upset their apple cart.

"Brendan haters would climb back down their holes"

I don't think there's been any hate towards the man, the odd personal comment here and there which to be honest is something people do every day. Commenting on people's teeth, a porshe, or an oversized portrait is hardly hate. We might not agree with it but for some people it does help for a personal opinion of someone and I've no problem with that at all.

I've witnessed plenty saying they want him gone but hate is far too strong in my opinion. As for "more patience", how assuming of you as if it's patience that is needed rather than smarter judgement. Three years is patient enough, it's much more patient than most club's fans would be I'll tell you that for sure and even still he doesn't have to contend with boos or jeers in the crowd even when approximately 75% of the fan base thought it was the right move to sack him at the end of last season. So in truth I think Brendan has been afforded an awful lot of money, an awful lot of patience and an awful lot of respect but now is the time to deliver or walk. If he delivered nothing this year he should go on his own volition because it would be clear to even the 25% of people who haven't made their judgement yet that he wasn't up to the task.

The patient people could well be those who have made their decision or those that made it long ago that simply haven't been offensive or haters and have accepted the decision to keep Brendan on without any protest. We would be foolish if it became obvious before christmas that this season was unlikely to yield anything not to change manager. I think giving a new man the tail end of the season would be better than a full change in the off season. Of course until then Brendan is likely to be afforded more patience from those that have already concluded he isn't good enough.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,966 posts | 3048 
      Reply #34377: Sep 01, 2015 04:21:55 pm
      I'm ready.

My credentials are unparalleled. I once got a +1 from corballyred.

Judging by the plus one on that one it looks like he's snuck back in again!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34378: Sep 01, 2015 04:28:15 pm
      Like many I have never been keen on what I know of Brendan's personality. A little too much of how he invented football for me. I wouldn't lose much sleep if he left tomorrow, but I do think he deserves the chance to turn things around.

I would give him till Christmas and if there is no real signs of not only improvement but genuine progress, with a system introduced, reasonable results and players integrating into the team rather than looking like strangers... then I would look to make a change, but even then only if the right man is available and willing to take over.

I am not expecting miracles, but a steady improvement in our performances and no more embarrassing results like against W.H.

Brendan still has my backing but in all honesty it is very halfhearted as I feel the writing is on the wall and it is more hope than belief that he can and will turn things around.   
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #34379: Sep 01, 2015 04:42:54 pm

Yes but you said you started to take against him because you were noticing that he wasn't shutting down games like Rafa was.

I think the reason people don't like him is pretty simple.

In the days of Kenny and Rafa, our managers had to contend with the likes of Mourinho and Ferguson and their rivalry bound fans behind them.

Now, Brendan has come from a background of working with Mourinho and has had to deal with a hapless Moyes, a wacky but likeable LVG, a personable Pellegrini and Wenger therefore there is no conflict, no rallying cry. Even if Ferguson came back from retirement it wouldn't be Rodgers's style to be confrontational with them. That may be more productive in terms of avoiding blowback from incidents like the "fachts" speech but it means that supporters and even the team aren't as committed to him.

He's a Lallana rather than a Suarez.

Scousers like to see a manager and a team who display a canny, anti-authoritarian and confrontational persona. Obviously taken too far it could be described as chippy.

To be honest it's one of the things that puzzles me about his style of management as he obviously learned a lot from Mourinho and creating a siege mentality is one of the hallmarks of his management.
      People can say what they want but had he taken over from Houllier a season earlier than Rafa got the job, he would have been a popular manager. Klopp or Simeone would be popular for the same reason but they would only reach the heights that Rafa did if they had a "villain" to react against.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34380: Sep 01, 2015 04:51:52 pm
      Scousers like to see a manager and a team who display a canny, anti-authoritarian and confrontational persona. Obviously taken too far it could be described as chippy.

Disagree mate to be honest, Roy Evans still goes down as probably my favourite Liverpool manager of my lifetime (in terms of being at an age to form a genuine honest opinion) and Roy was anything but confrontational, he was the epitome of pure class, that's why I still today hold him in high regards to this very day, he had Liverpool running through his veins, for me everything good about Liverpool F.C you can see in Roy Evans the man.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #34381: Sep 01, 2015 04:59:47 pm
      Disagree mate to be honest, Roy Evans still goes down as probably my favourite Liverpool manager of my lifetime (in terms of being at an age to form a genuine honest opinion) and Roy was anything but confrontational, he was the epitome of pure class, that's why I still today hold him in high regards to this very day, he had Liverpool running through his veins, for me everything good about Liverpool F.C you can see in Roy Evans the man.

Of course he was (and is) class but:

1. He was associated with our ultimate glory days which inspired a lot of loyalty
      2. Ferguson was still around allowing Evans to act as a rallying point for the fans
      3. He was "anti-authoritarian" in the way that he came from teh bootroom and wore drill tops rather than suits - a football man through and through

Nevertheless he was never a manager that the fans were fanatical about. There weren't marches and protests when Houllier was brought in to co-manage and then replace him.

I guarantee that if Big Sam was on the touchline on Saturday and he had ordered his defenders to repeatedly kick Coutinho in the air and Brendan had had a furious touchline spat with him followed by an acerbic press conference thereafter supporters would have got behind him to a far far greater extent than they are doing now.

Support requires conflict.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,049 posts | 6294 
      Reply #34382: Sep 01, 2015 05:34:38 pm
      How much is Brendan Rodgers to blame for Liverpool's lack of direction?
      http://www.espnfc.com/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2590296/liverpool-under-brendan-rodgers-wont-finish-four
      By Tony Evans
      Liverpool's three-match winning streak came to an abrupt halt when West Ham convincingly defeated them 3-0 at Anfield.

It's hard to imagine a fanbase more hysterical than Liverpool's. The mood swings of those who profess allegiance to Anfield are bewildering. The 3-0 home defeat by West Ham United on Saturday caused an explosion of fury and finger-pointing after the positive reaction to the 0-0 draw away to Arsenal in the previous match.

The international break comes at a bad time for Brendan Rodgers. Many of his squad will be away, giving the manager less time to repair the damage of Saturday. For the fans, it will be a long, frenzied build-up to the next league game, Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Rodgers, 42, is a man under scrutiny. A mere 15 months ago, he was being compared by some to the late Bill Shankly, the great icon of the club, for leading a Premier League challenge that faltered in the final stages. The hubristic Rodgers often gives the impression that he expects to be mentioned in exalted company. Whether Shankly would enjoy the comparison can never be answered.

In the summer of last year, Luis Suarez left Anfield for Barcelona. Rodgers' genius seemed to walk out the door with the Uruguay forward. The fluidity of that Suarez-led side of 2013-14, which almost won the Premier League, has never been recaptured.

Last season, the highs became rarer, the lows more frequent. An underwhelming 13-game unbeaten run restored some optimism and Rodgers' bluster. However, after Manchester United crushed the belief with a 2-1 victory at Anfield in March, things unravelled. Now, four games into this season, Liverpool have racked up two unconvincing wins, a draw and an embarrassing defeat. They sit in sixth place in the table. On the evidence so far, sixth is about par for this team. Anyone expecting a top-four challenge -- the title is clearly a pipe dream -- is likely to be disappointed.

With Jürgen Klopp and Carlo Ancelotti sitting at home waiting for underperforming clubs to call, the "Rodgers Out" brigade are in full cry.

How culpable is the Liverpool manager for the club's lack of direction? He clearly has to take a large proportion of responsibility for the chaos on the pitch. His defenders look like strangers, his post-Suarez midfields seem to accentuate the negatives rather than the positives. Rodgers built his reputation on coaching abilities, but where is the pressing game that characterised his spell at Swansea City? He talked of "death by football" in 2012, but the incoherence of Liverpool's passing kills the team's forward momentum.

The problem is that Rodgers is only 50 percent responsible for the mess on the pitch. The mediocre performances are a symptom of wider issues behind the scenes.

Liverpool's deficiencies will not be solved by changing managers. There are structural issues at the club that need addressing first.

Fenway Sports Group (FSG), the owners, have done much good since taking over in 2010. They have brought a new level of professionalism to the marketing and business operations at Anfield. They looked at football with a fresh eye and brought new ideas.

Three years ago, FSG sacked manager Kenny Dalglish, another of the club's icons, after winning a trophy and embarked on a Year Zero policy. Rodgers was the face of this new age. The most crucial change, though, was in the area of player recruitment.

The owners bought into two ideas: that Liverpool should become the preferred destination for the world's young, emerging stars; and that Michael Edwards (the club's head of analysis) would use analytics to isolate this talent before anyone else spotted it. In essence, they thought they'd found a shortcut. Traditional football values were out, the visionaries were in. Scouts? Who needs them when you've got a laptop?
      ESPNFC's Shaka Hislop reflects on his former club West Ham's first win at Anfield since 1963, leaving Brendan Rodgers with much to ponder.

Liverpool have targeted players who they believe are adaptable, men who can play across a number of positions. Emre Can could be the poster boy for this policy. He was a midfielder, we were told, who could play in the middle and across the back four. He can. Just not well enough to be convincing anywhere. Once, he might have been called a utility man, a handy reserve to be slotted into the team during times of crisis. Traditionally, logic says find a player who can operate in one position very well and worry about the rest later.

Can illustrates the lack of nous behind the scenes at Anfield. He has talent but he is not suited to the Premier League, where the "snap" to the ball is almost as important as what you do with it in possession. In England, you need to get to the tackle, to the ball, quickly. The German shows little ability to do that. An insider called him "a stroller." In the slower pace of Spain or Italy, or in international football, he will thrive. But not in the Premier League.

Rodgers has been presented with players he does not want nor trusts. In the early stages of last season he didn't play them. This caused Mike Gordon to step in.

Gordon is the second-biggest investor in FSG. He has taken a bigger role in running the club as John W. Henry, the principal owner, has pulled away. There is a reason for this: the owners are keen to monetize their investment in Liverpool. To get maximum price, the team needs to be in the Champions League. In a hurry to get there, Gordon has become hands-on. Effectively, he had acted like a director of football.

FSG, with Gordon as the point man, put heavy pressure on Rodgers to pick players he didn't fancy. Rodgers made the changes, introduced the 3-4-3 system and embarked on the 13-game unbeaten run. It papered over a chasm of cracks.

The owners seem to believe that Rodgers lacks an eye for the transfer market. They are probably right. He prefers British players. They do believe he can coach. The problem is that the people with most sway in recruitment can't pick a good player either -- at least not with any consistency.

Daniel Sturridge's return will give Liverpool more impetus. If Philippe Coutinho can impose himself regularly there are goals in the team. Rodgers will hope Roberto Firmino is more suited to English football than Lazar Markovic (who just left the club for Fenerbahce). Yet the squad has too many weak links: Mamadou Sakho, for example. It's hard to escape the feeling that there's enough dead wood at the Melwood training ground to fill a minibus

Year Zero has not worked. That approach rarely does. So what happens next?

Expect a season of hysteria and perceived underachievement at Anfield. Don't expect a new manager to come in with a magic formula to make Liverpool realistic title contenders. That's not going to happen.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #34383: Sep 01, 2015 05:36:23 pm
      How much is Brendan Rodgers to blame for Liverpool's lack of direction?
      http://www.espnfc.com/club/liverpool/364/blog/post/2590296/liverpool-under-brendan-rodgers-wont-finish-four
      By Tony Evans
      Liverpool's three-match winning streak came to an abrupt halt when West Ham convincingly defeated them 3-0 at Anfield.

There's an error in the first F***ing sentence ;D Well done, ESPN and Evans.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,235 posts | 752 
      Reply #34384: Sep 01, 2015 05:36:33 pm
      Feel Brendan must get back to basics, if he is going to survive long term. A successful Liverpool side was always built on having a good defence, something that well and truly needs sorting. We have not got the attack to paper over the cracks, as in the season before last when we had Suarez as the catalyst of the side, Sturridge fit and scoring goals, as well as the support from midfield. Feel their is a long hard road ahead before success can be delivered.

Quick Reply