Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3042041 times
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34546: Sep 03, 2015 11:46:36 pm
      Wow - looks like they are giving homeless dudes free wifi access now...
      That explains you now ,
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #34547: Sep 03, 2015 11:50:40 pm
      Agreed.

I thought there was some small hope with the change in the backroom staff but 7 out of 8 halves of bloody awful footy have really eaten away at people's resolve which of course for some was already empty.

Right now I honestly feel we're just wasting time and resources, miracles could happen but I fully expect at christmas for Brendan to be on his way. Should he leave here having mostly failed it will be interesting to see where he ends up because I still think there are those that believe he is a decent manager.

I had higher hopes than you that he could turn things around Luke but the signs seem to be already there that we will see much more of the same this season.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34548: Sep 04, 2015 12:31:50 am
      Right now I honestly feel we're just wasting time and resources, miracles could happen but I fully expect at christmas for Brendan to be on his way. Should he leave here having mostly failed it will be interesting to see where he ends up because I still think there are those that believe he is a decent manager.

I had higher hopes than you that he could turn things around Luke but the signs seem to be already there that we will see much more of the same this season.

What would your feelings be if Brendan turned things around somewhat and we started to show some sort of form, would you believe he could maintain it and we would progress or would you believe it was probably temporary and that a change of manager is the only real way to ensure genuine progress?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34549: Sep 04, 2015 12:43:22 am
      What would your feelings be if Brendan turned things around somewhat and we started to show some sort of form, would you believe he could maintain it and we would progress or would you believe it was probably temporary and that a change of manager is the only real way to ensure genuine progress?

We've been consistently producing dire football for too long. At this point I'm convinced our title challenge was predominantly carried by Gerrard's swansong / Sturridge's miraculous fitness and the pure genius of Suarez. The contribution Brendan had on that season is diminishing the more football I see us play so even a slight upturn wouldn't convince me there was actually any merit in sticking with him.

I mean we've been in something like 11 competitions and failed terribly in all but 2 of those (Semi v Chelsea and Title challenge). Our record against any of our rivals or european team of any stature is absolutely diabolical. His man management, his in game management and his use of players that aren't deemed 'his' has me completely convinced he's simply wasting our time now.

Benteke was supposedly "perfect", the lad has played pretty decent but the way he is so isolated makes you question what tactics are possibly being employed. The fact we have a team full of right footed players that basically has no left hand side threat at all...

It would take a monumental turn around that I just don't believe he's capable of.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #34550: Sep 04, 2015 12:46:32 am
      Without delving into conspiracy, it is hard to see who is calling the shots at the moment.
      FSG play moneyball, want to water down the influence of the manager, are focussing on reducing overheads while making us competitive and expanding the 'brand'.
      BR wants to play possession football, has abandoned possession football, seems to move on anyone in his team who are not behind him.

I just want to get into the CL and spring board from that with a revamped stadium. Honestly I don't see BR as part of that because momentum has shifted. If we had Sterling, Suarez and Sturridge I think we would be flying still, even if we had Fat Sam managing and Suarez was being asked to 'get on the end of it' .... he would and it would go in the net.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #34551: Sep 04, 2015 12:47:27 am
      Agreed.

I thought there was some small hope with the change in the backroom staff but 7 out of 8 halves of bloody awful footy have really eaten away at people's resolve which of course for some was already empty.

Agree with this. I want him to succeed here, but I just can't see it happening.... I just keep looking back at the growing list of players who "don't suit his style" and I have to think some of them are good enough players, he just doesn't know how to utilize them. Since he has been here:

All of our defenders have been sh*t.
      Sahin, Moses, Markovic, Lallana, Balotelli, Jonjo,  and Moreno have all been highly touted, but failed to thrive under BR.
      He was even ready to shunt Henderson out on loan because he didn't fancy him. Only Henderson's resolve kept him at Anfield.

I just get the feeling that he is always flying by the seat of his pants..... there is no real direction or purpose in his tactics. I hope I'm wrong,  but I think he's on borrowed time....
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #34552: Sep 04, 2015 12:48:59 am
      It would be interesting if FSG had of gone for Martinez instead of BR.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #34553: Sep 04, 2015 02:03:10 am
      Agree with this. I want him to succeed here, but I just can't see it happening.... I just keep looking back at the growing list of players who "don't suit his style" and I have to think some of them are good enough players, he just doesn't know how to utilize them. Since he has been here:

Sahin, Moses, Markovic, Lallana, Balotelli, Jonjo,  and Moreno have all been highly touted, but failed to thrive under BR.
      He was even ready to shunt Henderson out on loan because he didn't fancy him. Only Henderson's resolve kept him at Anfield.

I just get the feeling that he is always flying by the seat of his pants..... there is no real direction or purpose in his tactics. I hope I'm wrong,  but I think he's on borrowed time....

Sad to put it this way, but honestly I think that you could look at a list of all players that have operated under BR and there would be far more players who failed to fill their potentials than who have been successful. Suarez, Sterling, Sturridge, Coutinho, Hendo, maybe one or two more have been successful, maybe a couple more could be considered under that standard?

Honestly the more I think into the situation the more it frightens me.

And no, I do not blame Brendan solely or entirely, but yes I do feel he is at least somewhat responsible.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34554: Sep 04, 2015 06:22:40 am
      Of course but the way you wrote the last post it looked like they were are only choices.

I agree on Klopp but I'd add Emery to any list of coaches who potentially could be well worth a look if and when the time comes.

Si, Dick Emery died years ago, didn’t you know?

You sound awful  but I like you  ;D

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,913 posts | 4980 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34555: Sep 04, 2015 06:45:54 am

He is on borrowed time Harry, I think the owners made that clear during summer, 
      Things had to change, hence new coaching staff etc, they have backed Brendan by giving him what he wanted,  it's down to him now,  and so far its not looking to bright,  but as others have alluded to,  one sh*t result has sullied a good start of season, 
      By Xmas we will know for sure where we're at, and if Brendan's borrowed time is extended or indeed we're all to become Kloppites?

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,385 posts | 3394 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #34556: Sep 04, 2015 07:46:02 am
      It would be interesting if FSG had of gone for Martinez instead of BR.

two peas from the same pod for me
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #34557: Sep 04, 2015 07:51:38 am
      After 4+ years of JWH & Co mistakes, some admitted when convenient, we still lurch from drama to crisis.
      If we face another forced shuffle of personal nothing of note would change except the faces.
      « Last Edit: Sep 04, 2015 01:56:11 pm by stuey »
      ruthcity

• 6,929 posts | 1477 
      Reply #34558: Sep 04, 2015 09:39:36 am
      For the record that BR made since some time back:
      1) >100 PL goals
      2) 6-1 loss at stoke
      3) 0-3 loss at home to west ham
      4) first manager not to win a trophy in his first three seasons.

Are there more positives?
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #34559: Sep 04, 2015 10:14:36 am
      It is not as if we lost a game by 5-4, well at least with that score, we know that we have to tighten at the back. At the end of a 3-0 hammering, we conceded goals heavily and we are not scoring which clearly shows that there is a massive flaw in BR tactics. The worldwide fans are asking, how is he going to turn it round in such a short period of time before the game against Utd. Many supporters are asking, does BR knows what he is doing in the first place? Another defeat against Utd (not that I wanted that to happen) will most probably hasten his departure. Looks more like Pascoe and Marsh were the scapegoats for last year collapse towards the end of the season as I'm seeing almost the same mind boggling tactics now as last year.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #34560: Sep 04, 2015 10:24:47 am
      His first six months can almost be forgiven - any manager needs time to settle at a new club.  The second half of his first season we saw some signs of good football and it was promising.

His second season was truly remarkable. We almost won the league playing champagne football. I refuse to believe that we were a one man team in Suarez. He obviously helped, but football is a team game. In particular, Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Flanno  all had superb seasons as well.

His third season was a disaster. Embarrassed in Europe. Finishing 6th. Getting dicked by sh*te like Stoke 6-1. Simply not good enough. As frustrated as I was, I gave BR the benefit of the doubt though. He lost his star man Suarez. Sturridge was injured all season. Gerrard noticeably lost his legs.  It was rumoured some of our transfers weren't 'Brendan signings' - Balotelli. A lot of new players needed time to bed into the team & gel with our other players.

I've always said this season will be the one where I will judge him properly. I've always stated I think BR is a top manager based on what I saw in his second season. I was glad FSG backed him this season. So should we succeed then great, obviously. Should we fail then its time up Brendan I'm afraid.

What has annoyed me this summer though is bearing in mind how much we struggled to attack teams last season playing with the one striker, what does Brendan go and do? Spend big money on Benteke and start the season playing him alone upfront. My support for him is slowly starting to fade and it's almost as if Brendan is hammering the final nails into his coffin himself.

Is it any coincidence that we have scored just two goals from our four games so far and look toothless going forward? We only scored v Stoke because of Coutinhos brilliant screamer but up until that moment (90th minute winner) we hadn't created anything! We were only slightly better v Bournemouth (but not much!) and we scored a jammy offside goal. Arsenal we were good for 45mins to be fair and West Ham we were back to being awful again!

It was apparent to me that based on last season, we needed pace in the team, some movement, bloody mobile forwards and to play TWO of them up top. So Brendan spends 33m on a big static centre forward who could potentially be a beast if you supply him with the right ball to him but in a Brendan Rodgers side that just isn't going to happen. Big Ben has looked isolated in all four games. I'm not surprised one bit, I was shouting my head off all summer about it on here.

I can't see Benteke and Sturridge forming a partnership and I have a bad feeling that Brendan will jeopardise the team by playing Sturridge out wide once he is fit again.

This will ultimately see him sacked in my opinion. I just don't see how we are going to score goals. Unless he changes his set up quickly and figures out how to get the best out of Benteke then I predict another long season for us, almost identical to last.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #34561: Sep 04, 2015 11:28:22 am

It's difficult to say Saint but judging his time here as a whole I'd lean towards it being another temporary bit of progress.

There is enough evidence, even in the games before West Ham, that he maybe hasn't changed as much as we all thought he had.

As much as I think the mancs game is important its actually the one after against Norwich that will yell us more although they may attack more than West Ham and give us more opportunities.

I think it's damning that into his 4th season we still have the same problems breaking down a side like West Ham who come to Anfield and make things difficult for us.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34562: Sep 04, 2015 11:45:54 am
      I think what ever happens barring an unmitigated disaster Rodgers will be here to January at the very least and most likely to the end of the season, the owners set their stall out in the summer, they gave him the coaching staff he wanted, they backed him in the transfer market albeit with a low net spend, so for me Rodgers is here to stay.

My opinion on the situation is not to lay sole blame at Rodgers door, there's a trickle down effect from the top, they have set the transfer strategy and the wage restrictions, but I still feel Rodgers should be doing a hell of a lot better, that's not based on the West Ham result, but based on the fact were 4 season's in to his tenure and there is no cohesive plan in effect, we have no balance at all on the left of the starting XI that we've seen so far this season.

Its worrying that starting the 4th year of his tenure the defensive frailties that have been there since Rodgers took control have still not truly been sorted and can raise their head at any given time, its worrying that he hasn't built what you could consider to be the spine of the team, its worrying that were into his fourth season and were bedding as many as five players in to the starting XI.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34563: Sep 04, 2015 01:16:26 pm
      With a net spend of approx £10mil why isnt Brendan on a plane to Boston asking FSG how is he supposed  compete with UTD, City and Chelsea who already had bigger squads. I know I am not his biggest fan but this transfer policy buying players just to loan them out again is madness added to what will now be a miserly net spend over the last two seasons. I guess his silence is a price he has to pay for keeping his job. So approx £45mil over two seasons when we have just had a massive hike in TV money any manager expected to challenge for the league title would be furious and make sure his feeling are known unless our targets are less than the clubs history and fans expect
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #34564: Sep 04, 2015 01:45:07 pm
      With a net spend of approx £10mil why isnt Brendan on a plane to Boston asking FSG how is he supposed  compete with UTD, City and Chelsea who already had bigger squads. I know I am not his biggest fan but this transfer policy buying players just to loan them out again is madness added to what will now be a miserly net spend over the last two seasons. I guess his silence is a price he has to pay for keeping his job. So approx £45mil over two seasons when we have just had a massive hike in TV money any manager expected to challenge for the league title would be furious and make sure his feeling are known unless our targets are less than the clubs history and fans expect

Answer:because he doesn't give a sh*t. He has a Porsche Panamera, a nice big house, a nice fat salary and job in the limelight. He's carving out a career as a company man who will serve his bosses profit objectives mercilessly. Even if he was sacked tomorrow, his next boss knows he will stand by them rather than the fans and rock the boat.

Remember they said "we CAN compete with anyone". Fenway never said "we WILL compete with anyone/everyone".
      Fenway idolise the trophyless, ripoff prices, sell the stars Arsenal of up until recently. Bearing in mind we are way behind Arsenal in stadium, its gonna be a grim time going forward, unless something radical changes.

We've seen it for 5 yrs. Nothing is gonna change unless a) we demand it or b) they F**k off.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #34565: Sep 04, 2015 01:59:21 pm
      For the record that BR made since some time back:
      1) >100 PL goals
      2) 6-1 loss at stoke
      3) 0-3 loss at home to west ham
      4) first manager not to win a trophy in his first three seasons.

Are there more positives?

No just further negativity:-  All ''achieved'' under FSG's direction and appointment.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #34566: Sep 04, 2015 02:15:07 pm
      I think what ever happens barring an unmitigated disaster Rodgers will be here to January at the very least and most likely to the end of the season, the owners set their stall out in the summer, they gave him the coaching staff he wanted, they backed him in the transfer market albeit with a low net spend, so for me Rodgers is here to stay.

My opinion on the situation is not to lay sole blame at Rodgers door, there's a trickle down effect from the top, they have set the transfer strategy and the wage restrictions, but I still feel Rodgers should be doing a hell of a lot better, that's not based on the West Ham result, but based on the fact were 4 season's in to his tenure and there is no cohesive plan in effect, we have no balance at all on the left of the starting XI that we've seen so far this season.

Its worrying that starting the 4th year of his tenure the defensive frailties that have been there since Rodgers took control have still not truly been sorted and can raise their head at any given time, its worrying that he hasn't built what you could consider to be the spine of the team, its worrying that were into his fourth season and were bedding as many as five players in to the starting XI.

Just to pick out one part....and I'm not necessarily disagreeing completely, but it seems odd we are talking about defensive frailties after 3 clean sheets and one bad loss? If we go on to 3 more clean sheets and another bad loss are we still defensively frail?

Would it have been better to give up a goal in each of the first three games and then none against West Ham? Would we still look at the defense in the same way (positively or negatively)?
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #34567: Sep 04, 2015 02:26:39 pm
      We can boot him out yes. But look at our end of season league positions (and many defeats) over the past 5 yrs.
      What will be achieved bringing in someone else, under the same sell to buy/cut wages bullshit agenda?

He's a symptom of it all,  not the primary illness.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34568: Sep 04, 2015 02:32:51 pm
      Just to pick out one part....and I'm not necessarily disagreeing completely, but it seems odd we are talking about defensive frailties after 3 clean sheets and one bad loss? If we go on to 3 more clean sheets and another bad loss are we still defensively frail?

Would it have been better to give up a goal in each of the first three games and then none against West Ham? Would we still look at the defense in the same way (positively or negatively)?

I think the problem is that the only way we seem to be able to defend is by sacrificing the attacking side of our game, which may work well away from home, or at least until you concede a goal, but at home you need to attack and push our midfield further forward and we have seen what happens next against W.H.

As Brendan said "anyone can sit on their 18 yard box and defend" the problem is getting the balance right between attack and defence.

Quick Reply