Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041642 times
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34615: Sep 07, 2015 06:11:42 pm
      Devils advocate:

We've never had any manager who's good enough to have long term success in the premier league. It's been well over 20 years now. Maybe we should lower our standards.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34616: Sep 07, 2015 06:13:28 pm
      20 years.
      Cold, hard fact.
      That's brought it all back to me.
      Depressing times.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #34617: Sep 07, 2015 06:17:34 pm

"if you should go skating on the thin ice of modern life,
      Dragging behind you a silent reproach of a million tear stained eyes,
      Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
      Appears under your feet, you slip out of your depth and out of your mind, with your fear flowing out behind you as you claw the thin ice."

Brendan likes to go skating I hear!!

YNWA

Nice one Bilbo. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLSCJmOIIJI
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34618: Sep 07, 2015 06:39:26 pm
      Devils advocate:

We've never had any manager who's good enough to have long term success in the premier league. It's been well over 20 years now. Maybe we should lower our standards.

True we haven't, but we aspired for better than 6th/7th place finishes, we had belief, we didn't settle for 'Par' or mediocrity.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #34619: Sep 07, 2015 06:56:47 pm
      Devils advocate:

True Mags but every other manager has delivered some level of success and silverware along the way.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #34620: Sep 07, 2015 07:25:29 pm
      Devils advocate:

Only thing we lower our standards we may never get back up , shame our owners don't hold the same standards ,
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34621: Sep 07, 2015 07:47:46 pm
      Only thing we lower our standards we may never get back up , shame our owners don't hold the same standards ,

this is the hidden problem. They care about their investment not about the future success on the pitch. It has become apparent that Brendan has to be their man doing their bidding. I still think he will be here all season.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #34622: Sep 07, 2015 09:28:03 pm
      this is the hidden problem. They care about their investment not about the future success on the pitch. It has become apparent that Brendan has to be their man doing their bidding. I still think he will be here all season.
      We suffer a few more maulings / Stoke / Hammers  and the pressure will start to really rise mate , I feel he is going to need an awful lot of luck to still be here come May .
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34623: Sep 07, 2015 10:02:49 pm
      Anyone else noticing the drip, drip effect going on?

As in, Klopp's in the paper a lot of late.

That is all.

Yes it's all very interesting, please please let it be true. I really think we are just a few bad results away from it happening, not that I in any way wish for us to have any bad results, especially against Manure!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #34624: Sep 07, 2015 10:11:50 pm
      Who would JWH & Co put in BR's place.
      Who would be prepared to work for them?
      In spite of some alotting blame in the media and indeed on this forum there would be a scarcity of top managers tripping over themselves to risk their reputation under FSG.
      Be careful what you wish for.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #34625: Sep 07, 2015 10:27:48 pm
      I doubt any of us have been impressed with our start to the season but mentioning Klopp is a bit disrespectful come on. Whether you like Brendan or not, our owners decided he will be our manager this season and we are only four games in.

7 points from a possible 12 isn't the end of the world. Not great but it's not super sh*t either. Many of us would have taken a point at stoke, we all expected wins against Bournemouth and West Ham, but many of us didn't think we could get anything at Arsenal so that would have left us with 7 points anyway. So on paper, aren't we in the position we predicted we would be?

It's the football that we are playing that is worrying me. We don't look like we can score goals. Brendan can't dwell on his current tactics any longer because before we know it we will be too far behind. We need to start playing two up front and giving other teams something to think about. We are far too predictable. Personally I don't think Benteke is the sort of forward who can partner another striker but I don't see another option because we don't have the sort of players who can play to Benteke's strengths when he is played as the lone striker. We don't have any proper wide men.  So put two up top and lets see what happens!

Certainly in our home games against the lesser teams anyway. I'd like to see a diamond midfield of Milner, Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho  with Ings and Benteke up top. When we are playing the big boys and especially away from home then 5 in midfield and one up top is ok with me.

Brendan is on his last chance, he has nothing to lose, go all out and attack, attack, attack!

PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #34626: Sep 08, 2015 02:49:15 am
      Who would JWH & Co put in BR's place.
      Who would be prepared to work for them?
      In spite of some alotting blame in the media and indeed on this forum there would be a scarcity of top managers tripping over themselves to risk their reputation under FSG.
      Be careful what you wish for.

Koeman
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,911 posts | 4978 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34627: Sep 08, 2015 07:27:01 am
      I doubt any of us have been impressed with our start to the season but mentioning Klopp is a bit disrespectful come on. Whether you like Brendan or not, our owners decided he will be our manager this season and we are only four games in.

7 points from a possible 12 isn't the end of the world. Not great but it's not super sh*t either. Many of us would have taken a point at stoke, we all expected wins against Bournemouth and West Ham, but many of us didn't think we could get anything at Arsenal so that would have left us with 7 points anyway. So on paper, aren't we in the position we predicted we would be?

It's the football that we are playing that is worrying me. We don't look like we can score goals. Brendan can't dwell on his current tactics any longer because before we know it we will be too far behind. We need to start playing two up front and giving other teams something to think about. We are far too predictable. Personally I don't think Benteke is the sort of forward who can partner another striker but I don't see another option because we don't have the sort of players who can play to Benteke's strengths when he is played as the lone striker. We don't have any proper wide men.  So put two up top and lets see what happens!

Certainly in our home games against the lesser teams anyway. I'd like to see a diamond midfield of Milner, Lallana, Firmino and Coutinho  with Ings and Benteke up top. When we are playing the big boys and especially away from home then 5 in midfield and one up top is ok with me.

Brendan is on his last chance, he has nothing to lose, go all out and attack, attack, attack!

Some valid points you make there mate, I agree, Brendan has to change something that's for sure,
      Didn’t Agbonlahor have a good understanding with Benteke at Villa, ?

Besides Brendan can't surely continue with this set up,  predictability was a major flaw last season but then our opinions were limited,  he can't use that excuse this time, 

With Coutinho suspended he will be forced to change things, I reckon he'll slot Firmino in the '10' role with Ings in with Benteke,  Hendo should be back giving us a trio of Hendo, Lucas Milner,  Back 4 should change but will it?,  I'd like to see a,  Clyne,  Gomez, Sakho, Moreno,  bold yes but is that any worse than it has been?

Knowing our Brendan he won't change a damn thing at the back, but we'll see,
      Munts are no better than us so the risk is minimal,  I'd go with this........

Mignolet
               Clyne  Gomez Sakho Moreno
                                 Lucas
                     Henderson.  Milner
                                 Firmino
                       Ings.            Benteke

Bench ; Bogdan, Skirtle,  Can,  Ibe,  Rossiter, Tex, Origi,

Go on Brendan what ya scared of, give it a go for F**k sake,  what's the worst that can happen?

YNWA
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #34628: Sep 08, 2015 07:45:49 am
      Devils advocate:

I know what your saying - but I don't really agree, we have had some decent managers...

Souness -  Could have had the ability to do what Kenny did but didn't pan out
      Evans - Again, this was probably the last of the 'LFC' back room staff appointments after a history of success
      Houllier - Under him management we won the UEFA cup and Supercup and he built or was building a good / great team - perhaps sacked too early
      Rafa - 2 CL finals, 2nd in the league and now managing Real Madrid - easily good enough to come back and win the league if backed
      Hodgson - ok, worst appointment ever - this guy has even turned me off international football
      King Kenny - Still believe that he was good enough to win the league. If he was incharge for the 13 / 14 season would we have won it
      Rodgers - well, personally I don't think he is good enough but that's my opinion

We have had good managers, why we haven't won the league is not as simple as that. All but Rafa have been backed well by our owners in fairness too...
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #34629: Sep 08, 2015 12:06:09 pm
      I have nothing against BR personally, I don't wish to see him sacked, in fact I hope he would be a success here. But seeing how we collapsed towards the end of last season when 4th spot is well within our reach and this season inspite of having many additional quality players, tactics remained ancient with single target man and many more weaknesses that the posters here have pointed out. I find it hard to convince even myself that BR would be able to turn things round just before Xmas.

Unless, he start to do things very differently and to use players to their strengths. I still stick to my opinion that the job came too soon for BR.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #34630: Sep 08, 2015 01:48:53 pm
      Yes it's all very interesting, please please let it be true. I really think we are just a few bad results away from it happening, not that I in any way wish for us to have any bad results, especially against Manure!

Interesting you have this view heimdall - what is your analysis of Klopp's last season at Dortmund?
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34631: Sep 08, 2015 02:18:37 pm
      I know what your saying - but I don't really agree, we have had some decent managers...

Souness -  Could have had the ability to do what Kenny did but didn't pan out
      Evans - Again, this was probably the last of the 'LFC' back room staff appointments after a history of success
      Houllier - Under him management we won the UEFA cup and Supercup and he built or was building a good / great team - perhaps sacked too early
      Rafa - 2 CL finals, 2nd in the league and now managing Real Madrid - easily good enough to come back and win the league if backed
      Hodgson - ok, worst appointment ever - this guy has even turned me off international football
      King Kenny - Still believe that he was good enough to win the league. If he was incharge for the 13 / 14 season would we have won it
      Rodgers - well, personally I don't think he is good enough but that's my opinion

We have had good managers, why we haven't won the league is not as simple as that. All but Rafa have been backed well by our owners in fairness too...

Ill fix it for you...;D

Souness -  Useless, 1 cup, and stripped apart a title winning team. I still have nightmares.
      Evans - Almost as bad, but had some great footi teams and won a cup, teams could not defend.
      Houllier - LEGEND, turned the club around, treble season was awesome, 5 cups entered 5 cups won, will never be done again.
      Rafa - LEGEND - We dominated Europe and should have won the league, won champiosn league and FA Cup
      Hodgson - Project Barn Owl, nuff said. G&H all over it.
      King Kenny - LEGEND LEGEND LEGEND say no more, wrongly sacked, but FSG had thier own ideas.
      Rodgers - mixed opinions, needs to turn it around this season, or I think his time is up. Im hopeful he can, he needs at least 1 trophy this season, LFC shuld be winning or at least getting to finals and champions league.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34632: Sep 08, 2015 02:28:46 pm
      Evans - Almost as bad, but had some great footi teams and won a cup, teams could not defend.

In three of Evan's four seasons, Liverpool conceded fewer goals than the champions.

Under Evans, Liverpool's average Premiership position (3.5) was higher than under GĂ©rard Houllier (3.6) or Rafa BenĂ­tez (4.0)

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34633: Sep 08, 2015 02:34:59 pm
      In three of Evan's four seasons, Liverpool conceded fewer goals than the champions.

Under Evans, Liverpool's average Premiership position (3.5) was higher than under GĂ©rard Houllier (3.6) or Rafa BenĂ­tez (4.0)

Never knew those stats Im going on memory.

We had chance of winning all sorts with Roys teams, briliant footi teams but always bottled it, and I remember the defences being shocking. Maybe Im remembering the big games where let goals in and let ourselves down, we did smash teams as well.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #34634: Sep 08, 2015 02:39:21 pm
      Interesting you have this view heimdall - what is your analysis of Klopp's last season at Dortmund?

Pretty much the same as my analysis of Rafa's last season with us, things just didn't work out and it was time for a change, but that doesn't make either one any less of a brilliant manager. Klopp is a far superior manager to Brendan "No trophies ever" Rodgers.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34635: Sep 08, 2015 02:54:11 pm
      Never knew those stats Im going on memory.

We had chance of winning all sorts with Roys teams, briliant footi teams but always bottled it, and I remember the defences being shocking. Maybe Im remembering the big games where let goals in and let ourselves down, we did smash teams as well.

I think he was unlucky in taking over Liverpool at that time. The big money and player power had just started to come into the game. Maybe if we had won the F.A. CUP rather than lose to the mancs he would be remembered differently. The mancs were so scared of us at that time that they even had Keane marking Mcmanaman as they killed the game before snatching an undeserved win through that c**t Cantona.

It was the inconsistency that hurt me so much, we beat Newcastle and should have gone on to win the league but lost to Coventry in the following game and with it the chance.

The Jimmy White of football, wonderful to watch,played brilliantly but always found some way to F**k it up when it came to the crunch.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34636: Sep 08, 2015 03:29:21 pm
      I think he was unlucky in taking over Liverpool at that time. The big money and player power had just started to come into the game. Maybe if we had won the F.A. CUP rather than lose to the mancs he would be remembered differently. The mancs were so scared of us at that time that they even had Keane marking Mcmanaman as they killed the game before snatching an undeserved win through that c**t Cantona.

It was the inconsistency that hurt me so much, we beat Newcastle and should have gone on to win the league but lost to Coventry in the following game and with it the chance.

The Jimmy White of football, wonderful to watch,played brilliantly but always found some way to f**k it up when it came to the crunch.

Spot on mate. The bloody final is still heart breaking, losing to that lot and that c#@t as you say.

The mancs were on the rise at the time, and we were doing well to hang onto thier coat tails Im afraid.

Have some great memories though, mostly of young GOD scoring for fun.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34637: Sep 08, 2015 03:47:05 pm
      The Jimmy White of football, wonderful to watch,played brilliantly but always found some way to F**k it up when it came to the crunch.

Probably the most purely entertaining Liverpool side to turn out Anfield, even eclipsing the Suarez show in my opinion, we just went on wave after wave of attacks under Evans, we played some truly breath taking football at times mixed in with some absolutely calamities.

Quick Reply