Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041499 times
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34638: Sep 08, 2015 03:49:07 pm
      Probably the most purely entertaining Liverpool side to turn out Anfield, even eclipsing the Suarez show in my opinion, we just went on wave after wave of attacks under Evans, we played some truly breath taking football at times mixed in with some absolutely calamities.

Nah, the Kings league winning teams of late 80's early 90s, the last title winning team. Beardsley, barnes, rush, aldo etc. Fantastic. Thats my fave squad\team.

But yes Evans team and the suarez season were very very very good to watch.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34639: Sep 08, 2015 03:54:21 pm
      Nah, the Kings league winning teams of late 80's early 90s, the last title winning team. Beardsley, barnes, rush, aldo etc. Fantastic. Thats my fave squad\team.

Kennys team's were great mate, but they were organised well drilled teams, they were F***ing machines,, I'm talking purely entertainment here the sort of football you watch and you dare not fart in case you sh*t yourself.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34640: Sep 08, 2015 04:16:11 pm
      Kennys team's were great mate, but they were organised well drilled teams, they were f**king machines,, I'm talking purely entertainment here the sort of football you watch and you dare not fart in case you sh*t yourself.

tbf. The suarez season was like that. Ive not enjoyed watching LFC so much since the rafa european nights. and b4 that the houier european adventure, and then aye the evans teams and the King Kenny Red machine, b4 that I was very young but I do just about remember the great 70's teams

Calling it the suarez team, cos he was the catalist, but it was BR's tactics and studger, young raheem & gerrard and dare I say it crap defending that made it all exciting.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #34641: Sep 08, 2015 04:45:18 pm
      Calling it the suarez team, cos he was the catalist, but it was BR's tactics and studger, young raheem & gerrard and dare I say it crap defending that made it all exciting.

Bit like Evans team then with Macca being direct as F**k, Fowler being the most natural finisher in the league (at that time), Mcateer always willing to take his man on etc..
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34642: Sep 08, 2015 08:35:31 pm
      Benteke has a mental coach...
      I dunno, I see this kinda thing now, and don't even pass much remarks.
      20 years ago, that would mean BR was a nutcase.
      Now we've moved on from telling yourself your great to the mirror, to hiring someone to do it instead.
      God knows what BR makes of it... or if he knew before signing him that Benteke suffered from a bit of a lack of confidence...
      Imo Christian and Firmino have BR stamps of approval (along with Ings and Origi) and it's, in the main, their form that will determine his future.  They click and start banging them in, it'll be quite as a graveyard in here. Otherwise, it'll be carnage.

Could really do with them hitting the target at the old toilet. Maybe being up against it as underdogs will actually suit us... am thinking it might... we go there with expectation relatively low ... and blitz the fuckers. Live in hope...
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #34643: Sep 09, 2015 01:22:38 am
      How many 'blips' can one squad have? ;D Christ almighty
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #34644: Sep 09, 2015 06:01:45 pm
      Bit like Evans team then with Macca being direct as f**k, Fowler being the most natural finisher in the league (at that time), Mcateer always willing to take his man on etc..

What really frustrated me with McManaman was his finishing. And later on, the fact that he was rather a c**t and a lazy one. Fowler could finish in ways I don't think anyone in world football can do even today. But I also see him as a bit of a tit. I wish he could have looked after himself better. To think he emerged as the "Toxteth whippet", a rocket of a player with fantastic mobility AND speed. But while his finishing got more and more incredible, you could see his pace and physical ability wane from a very early age. So sad.

That whole team was really badly managed. Firstly by not having a rocket up its arse. And secondly because ALL of them had to retire early thro injury.

Well managed, it could have been our golden home grown era. The greatest part is that we could have topped it up with a couple of foreign megastars, because virtually the whole team was homegrown or bought cheap.

I look at Martin Kelly and Flano and wonder whether any lessons have been learnt.

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34645: Sep 09, 2015 06:15:30 pm
      What really frustrated me with McManaman was his finishing. And later on, the fact that he was rather a c**t and a lazy one. Fowler could finish in ways I don't think anyone in world football can do even today. But I also see him as a bit of a tit. I wish he could have looked after himself better. To think he emerged as the "Toxteth whippet", a rocket of a player with fantastic mobility AND speed. But while his finishing got more and more incredible, you could see his pace and physical ability wane from a very early age. So sad.

That whole team was really badly managed. Firstly by not having a rocket up its arse. And secondly because ALL of them had to retire early thro injury.

Well managed, it could have been our golden home grown era. The greatest part is that we could have topped it up with a couple of foreign megastars, because virtually the whole team was homegrown or bought cheap.

I look at Martin Kelly and Flano and wonder whether any lessons have been learnt.

*loads of blinking*
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #34646: Sep 09, 2015 08:59:18 pm
      tbf. The suarez season was like that. Ive not enjoyed watching LFC so much since the rafa european nights. and b4 that the houier european adventure, and then aye the evans teams and the King Kenny Red machine, b4 that I was very young but I do just about remember the great 70's teams

Sorry boys , but the suarez team , was not a team . It was an  unbalanced , top heavy mistake that was destined to fail.

The 78-79 team was a perfect combination of style and grit. The early 80 's teams where superb examples of efficiency.Truly feared in europe.

Kennys team of 87-88 was total attacking football with an outstanding defence. Rodgers team ( which wasn't even his team ) of 13-14 was nowhere near , what people make out as some of the best football they had seen . If it was the best football they had seen . Then they need to start watching DVD'S of 70's & 80's teams.

It's a TEAM  game, not just your 3 forward players. Thats why we won nothing.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #34647: Sep 10, 2015 10:34:59 am
      I think all of our better teams have had weak spots.

The Suarez Sturr Sterling  team had weak spots of.... everyone else. And remember it won nothing and only existed for NINE months.

Rafa's team had the most top quality players, but lacked a Suarez. If it had him, a winger and slightly better defenders I think we'd have had one of the greatests teams ever (for any club). Its destruction beginning under G&H and continued under Shiteway was an absolute disgrace.

The Dalglish Rush Souness team lacked a top partner for Souness, the fullbacks were good and not brilliant. And we lacked a winger.

The Beardsley Barnes team? Again it had few top players other than Rushie when he came back. McMahon was pivotal, but it wasnt a great midfield.

The 1977 Euro Cup team was the ONLY one that utterly devastated a team in the Euro Cup final. And ofcourse it broke up after the match.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34648: Sep 10, 2015 02:54:28 pm

We had Hyypia, Carra, Agger and Skrtel for CB's, Arby and a slightly weak left side but we were still solid and that's why we conceded the least amount of goals. The biggest problem was a lack of wingers, we had Riera come in and was like a breath of fresh air at first because we weren't playing so narrow but we all know how he ended up!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,089 posts | 8521 
      Reply #34649: Sep 10, 2015 02:56:54 pm
      Sorry boys , but the suarez team , was not a team . It was an  unbalanced , top heavy mistake that was destined to fail.

The 78-79 team was a perfect combination of style and grit. The early 80 's teams where superb examples of efficiency.Truly feared in europe.

Kennys team of 87-88 was total attacking football with an outstanding defence. Rodgers team ( which wasn't even his team ) of 13-14 was nowhere near , what people make out as some of the best football they had seen . If it was the best football they had seen . Then they need to start watching DVD'S of 70's & 80's teams.

It's a TEAM  game, not just your 3 forward players. Thats why we won nothing.

And a defence that concedes over 50 goals and a goalkeeper that's sh*te.

Yeah we know!!
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #34650: Sep 10, 2015 04:36:12 pm
      2. Manchester City - €560m

3. Manchester  United - €533m

7. Liverpool - €344m

Only a gap of 200 million there.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34651: Sep 10, 2015 05:47:27 pm
      Would love Rodgers when the player at are all finally fit,defensively drilled and available to go with a 4-4-2:

Mig
      Clyne
      Skrtel
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Milner
      Henderson
      Coutinho
      Firmino
      Benteke
      Sturidge
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #34652: Sep 10, 2015 06:16:47 pm
      Would love Rodgers when the player at are all finally fit,defensively drilled and available to go with a 4-4-2:

Mig
      Clyne
      Skrtel
      Sakho
      Moreno
      Milner
      Henderson
      Coutinho
      Firmino
      Benteke
      Sturidge

That sounds horrible. You're not playing to the teams strengths at all
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #34653: Sep 10, 2015 06:17:32 pm
      We had Hyypia, Carra, Agger and Skrtel for CB's, Arby and a slightly weak left side but we were still solid and that's why we conceded the least amount of goals. The biggest problem was a lack of wingers, we had Riera come in and was like a breath of fresh air at first because we weren't playing so narrow but we all know how he ended up!

Rafa said how he wanted a winger and what he termed a "disequilibriante" (a 10 or 9.5 like Luis).

He said the problem was how few top, top wingers there were at the time. He could play Stevie on the right, struggled with Kewell early on, than later there was Maxi (who was very underrated IMO). But G&H had fu**ed the club up by then.

He also said that budgets later on meant we could afford a physical player eg Kuyt/Masch or a really skilful player eg Yossi or Luis Garcia. But not a player who had both attributes (like Suarez did).

If we'd have signed a Suarez to have Torres, Suarez, Gerrard, Masch, Alonso and one other, that would have been an incredible team.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34654: Sep 10, 2015 08:29:18 pm
      That sounds horrible. You're not playing to the teams strengths at all

Ur. Ok
      Love to see your formation and team selection then.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34655: Sep 11, 2015 01:03:54 am
      ‘Liverpool replaced coaches Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh in the summer, so they were looking for a new No 2, or No 3 or No 4. I would have been tailor-made to fill one of these roles, as well as making myself available as a squad player.' continued Gerrard.

‘I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can’t buy.’ finished Liverpool legend.

Quoted from Gerrard.

Well played Brendan and LFC, would have been the absolute perfect move without a single question. Honestly, losing Carragher and Gerrard without taking them on as coaches just makes no sense whatsoever, experience like they have should never be discarded so easily.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34656: Sep 11, 2015 01:17:57 am
      ‘Liverpool replaced coaches Colin Pascoe and Mike Marsh in the summer, so they were looking for a new No 2, or No 3 or No 4. I would have been tailor-made to fill one of these roles, as well as making myself available as a squad player.' continued Gerrard.

‘I could have been a good squad player, a good sub, as well as getting management experience that money can’t buy.’ finished Liverpool legend.

Quoted from Gerrard.

Well played Brendan and LFC, would have been the absolute perfect move without a single question. Honestly, losing Carragher and Gerrard without taking them on as coaches just makes no sense whatsoever, experience like they have should never be discarded so easily.

Would have been perfect mate but for the obvious threat to Brendan's position.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34657: Sep 11, 2015 01:26:18 am
      Would have been perfect mate but for the obvious threat to Brendan's position.

Couldn't agree more mate and the more people wake up to this clear problem the better because it is seriously damaging the club in my opinion. We've had 2 of the greatest players in our history just simply leave our club without so much as a thank you, it's not how we do things and it should have caused more of an issue than it has. It seems it's been lost in the rest of the mess for now.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34658: Sep 11, 2015 05:28:59 am

Quoted from Gerrard.

But didn't he also.say he decided it was time to move on after the Madrid game?  ???

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-legend-steven-gerrard-knew-5936172

I got the impression back then that he wasn't happy to just be a squad player!
      I can definitely see him as Liverpool manager someday, probably won't be under the current owners though.

brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1760 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #34659: Sep 11, 2015 09:27:04 am

Quoted from Gerrard.

Said this in the gerrard thread, he said something totally different when he left, go and watch his interview. He said he did not deserve to walk into a coaching job at LFC, he wanted to earn it, and did not want to be a sub.

Now he is saying the complete opposite. ffs. Stevie G make your mind up lad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #34660: Sep 11, 2015 11:02:14 am

Quoted from Gerrard.

This is exactly how I seen Gerrard if he stayed with us mate but didn't he also say that he wanted to play regularly?

Be interesting to know the real truth behind this.

Quick Reply