Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041414 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16215: Apr 20, 2014 07:14:12 pm
      Noticed that myself,  thought he looked and sounded like he hadn't been sleeping.

Probably had a few sleepless nights worrying about cricket bats
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,178 posts | 1630 
      Reply #16216: Apr 20, 2014 07:41:37 pm
      Probably had a few sleepless nights worrying about cricket bats

Read that story myself, bizarre. On to show up Mourinho next Brendan lad!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #16217: Apr 20, 2014 07:44:46 pm
      We will achieve great things with Brendan Rodgers as manager and Fabio Borini as a player will be a part of it.

Haha does this count for anything?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16218: Apr 20, 2014 10:10:13 pm
      Unbeaten in the league in 2014. Its bloody late April like. Wow Brendan you truly are a genius.

WWDWDWWWWWWWWWWW 52 GOALS! 7th last season to 3rd/2nd or please God 1st. 19 points better off than we finished last year, with 9 to play for, 26 points better off than this time last year. 7 less matches drawn, 4 less matches lost at the same time last year. 44 points in 2014 currently beating 11-20 league positions, which by my reconing we could have not played a game till Dec and still finished above the Scum ;-).

All that with 4 new 1st team players more than he had last year. Migs, Aly, Toure and Sakho who all bar Mignolet have been in an out and can hardly be attributed with league position change! Really shows what a man manager he is. He has changed this team into winners.

Management Poetry in Motion....
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #16219: Apr 20, 2014 10:26:03 pm
      which by my reconing we could have not played a game till Dec and still finished above the Scum ;-).

Let me just stress that point... we could of given Man Utd a 13 game start and still finish ahead of them now.

Jesus Christ!
      « Last Edit: Apr 20, 2014 10:39:23 pm by Pagekarl »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16220: Apr 20, 2014 10:33:52 pm
      Let me just stress that point... we could of given Man Utd a 13 game start and still be ahead of them now.

Jesus Christ!

Jesus Christ indeed!!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #16221: Apr 20, 2014 11:20:59 pm
      Nevermind the 11 game winning streak, just think of how far we have come from last season. This seasons objective was the Champions League. I didn't think we would do it and we have far surpassed that, qualifying and 5 points clear at the top with 3 games to go. Brendan has done an exceptional job. Brilliant! F***ing brilliant!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16222: Apr 21, 2014 12:38:02 am
      Well in Boss for achieving Champions League qualification.

Now add that 19th Title for bonus.

I know we have won nothing yet but it has been a good year for Owners,Supporters, Players, Hillsborough Campaign for Justice & hopefully we will finish off the season as Champions & party throughout the summer.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,003 posts | 3351 
      Reply #16223: Apr 21, 2014 01:17:18 am
      Has guided Liverpool to 44 points out of the last 48 available.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16224: Apr 21, 2014 01:22:48 am
      Has guided Liverpool to 44 points out of the last 48 available.

Well i guess he knows where he can improve now for the next 16 games.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #16225: Apr 21, 2014 03:11:24 am
      Best manager in the league by quite some distance and surely a stick on for manager of the year,yes?

Also what's the song they were singing for him at Norwich? I don't know how but that was the first time I'd heard it. I couldn't make out what they were saying after saying his name.
      « Last Edit: Apr 21, 2014 05:36:07 am by SuarezsRightFoot »
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16226: Apr 21, 2014 03:37:39 am
      Best manager in the league by quite some distance and surely a on for manager of the year,yes?

Also what's the song they were singing for him at Norwich? I don't know how but that was the first time I'd heard it. I couldn't make out what they were saying after saying his name.

Nah, it will most likely go to long-ball merchant Tony Pulis with his one season wonder with Palace. Watch them struggle next year - they might as well revel in this, Pulis has a limit and he can go no further with teams. Fact is Mark Hughes is doing a better job than he ever did at Stoke anyway.

He's fine for Crystal Palace for the short term but if they are ambitious they won't have him in the league for the long term. In my brutal opinion, he is a terrible manager and should only ever be given a night watchman status for clubs in trouble before moving on to talented guys like Malky Mackay (who is available). He is a detriment to the game of football, and harming the game on a national basis as players cannot develop with such insiped tactics.

But whatever - in my opinion, giving him Manager of the Year is like a primary school teacher winning the Nobel Prize. It should be given to the best manager who has done the best job. Regardless of the club size, Brendan has been Manager of the Year. Pulis isn't even second, that would go to Martinez.
      TheShanklyGates
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #16227: Apr 21, 2014 05:58:11 am
      Nah, it will most likely go to long-ball merchant Tony Pulis with his one season wonder with Palace. Watch them struggle next year - they might as well revel in this, Pulis has a limit and he can go no further with teams. Fact is Mark Hughes is doing a better job than he ever did at Stoke anyway.

He's fine for Crystal Palace for the short term but if they are ambitious they won't have him in the league for the long term. In my brutal opinion, he is a terrible manager and should only ever be given a night watchman status for clubs in trouble before moving on to talented guys like Malky Mackay (who is available). He is a detriment to the game of football, and harming the game on a national basis as players cannot develop with such insiped tactics.

But whatever - in my opinion, giving him Manager of the Year is like a primary school teacher winning the Nobel Prize. It should be given to the best manager who has done the best job. Regardless of the club size, Brendan has been Manager of the Year. Pulis isn't even second, that would go to Martinez.

Agree 100% mate. I can't stand Pulis. I used to think it was partly down to me not liking Stoke but he's using the same hump it and hope tactics at palace. How can anyone enjoy watching that style of play?! When he was at Stoke I'd wish at the beginning of every season that they'd get relegated so I wouldn't have to see us play against at least twice a season but somehow they'd survive and he'd get praised by everyone in the media for the great job hes done and now thats he's at palace I want them to go down but yet again it looks like he's going to survive another season but soon enough his luck will run out and managers like BR will get the praise they deserve by playing football the proper way. I remember talking to a west brom fan on twitter when Capello left the England job and he was saying his first choice for England would be pulis as he knows how you should play football. I couldn't help but think how much of a mistake that would have been for England.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #16228: Apr 21, 2014 06:43:18 am
      He's proving a lot of critics - myself included - wrong.

He's always been a fantastic youth coach, and my concern was - could he turn into a manager. Last season he made a number of - for me - consistent mistakes, for example the obsession with tiki taka, possession football and Joe Allen

This season, he's had ice surgically implanted into his veins, as he is the coolest guy on the touchline, has handled the press well, and now qualified for CL - which for me, was what he had to do this season

3 games and 7 points from glory now. Its in our hands.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #16229: Apr 21, 2014 07:05:20 am
      He's proving a lot of critics - myself included - wrong.

Having followed this club for more years than I care to remember it is with some shame that I must admit to having reservations about BR myself at one juncture.
      I hasten to add nothing in that statement is of any discredit to the man, the manner in which his appointment took place and the personnel involved led to a great deal of disquiet, indeed there is still some reservation about certain aspects of procedure by certain individuals.
      Nit-picking in the extreme I hear you say and rightfully so in these glorious days.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #16230: Apr 21, 2014 09:24:05 am
      Brendan Rodgers - League Performance at LFC - Points Per Game Average

Over Previous 15 games

Over Previous 10 games

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16231: Apr 21, 2014 09:46:05 am
      Brendan has achieved his seasons objective of CL qualification with games to spare which is an incredible achievement.

We've witnessed, in all it's technicolour glory, this season how a Manager/Coach can totally transform a team/squad to polar opposites.  Last season we struggled to get to grips with his methods but could see we were improving, this season it clicked and we've been flying. 

Down the road however last seasons champions have been reduced to playing like a pub team and will be lucky to have any European football.

Both Merseyside managers are showing that good coaching, with good players can out perform the money clubs and their mercenaries.  I'm not saying it's sustainable without additions to the squad but I'm less worried about who our transfer targets are in the summer as I've every faith Brendan will have us competing again next season.

Great work boss, now make the dream a reality  ;D
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16232: Apr 21, 2014 11:28:37 am
      Message to BR.

Get on the phone to Borini Suso Reina and all the rest that are on loan.
      They are all part of our squad ..... ( the group is the most important thing being the mantra ) all LFC players ...and deserve to be back at St Georges Hall if we finish top.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16233: Apr 21, 2014 11:44:19 am
      Having followed this club for more years than I care to remember it is with some shame that I must admit to having reservations about BR myself at one juncture.
      I hasten to add nothing in that statement is of any discredit to the man, the manner in which his appointment took place and the personnel involved led to a great deal of disquiet, indeed there is still some reservation about certain aspects of procedure by certain individuals.
      Nit-picking in the extreme I hear you say and rightfully so in these glorious days.

No shame Stu.
      Having followed this club also for more years than I care to remember and being a small part of our history as a sixties Kopite ....the dysfunctional positions we found ourselves in with Hicks Gillett and Hodgson :  TBH who wasnt going to be hyper critical of a rookie manager being appointed when there were people like Klopp and others with a proven track record around?

You only have to look along the East Lancs now ....to another established Premiership manager who won nothing in 11 years across the park being handed the reins of our rivals.

After our debacles you would have thought we should have played safe.

So I amongst others was of course critical of Brendan.
      As already has been said by another forum member the timing of This Is Liverpool and BRs immediate image wasnt exactly becoming.
      (Posters. Porsches  ...  Grimace.)
      To lose to Oldham was not a pleasant indicator.
      My criticism of him was not as a WUM.

It was as a long time supporter of 50 years fighting for the legacy and history of my esteemed club.
      I will defend anything I said without shame, regret or apology at the time.

I have admitted that FSG got it right.
      (Even Skrtel got the hang of backpassing in his own penalty area. ;D)

Brendans bravery has to be applauded.

We are back in the Champions League in the 25th year of the 96 .
      That to me means everything.

The next week or so is going to continue to be an emotional ride.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #16234: Apr 21, 2014 07:16:19 pm
      No shame Stu.Having followed this club also for more years than I care to remember and being a small part of our history as a sixties Kopite ....the dysfunctional positions we found ourselves in with Hicks Gillett and Hodgson :  TBH who wasnt going to be hyper critical of a rookie manager being appointed when there were people like Klopp and others with a proven track record around?You only have to look along the East Lancs now ....to another established Premiership manager who won nothing in 11 years across the park being handed the reins of our rivals.After our debacles you would have thought we should have played safe.So I amongst others was of course critical of Brendan. As already has been said by another forum member the timing of This Is Liverpool and BRs immediate image wasnt exactly becoming.(Posters. Porsches  ...  Grimace.)To lose to Oldham was not a pleasant indicator.My criticism of him was not as a WUM.It was as a long time supporter of 50 years fighting for the legacy and history of my esteemed club.I will defend anything I said without shame, regret or apology at the time.I have admitted that FSG got it right.(Even Skrtel got the hang of backpassing in his own penalty area. )Brendans bravery has to be applauded.We are back in the Champions League in the 25th year of the 96 .That to me means everything.The next week or so is going to continue to be an emotional ride.
      And your early concerns were warranted eurored. It's a brave man who can stand up and admit he was wrong. I'm sure there were a load of others with the same doubts who were not brave enough to come out and spout it. Also the same few who are keeping very quiet about it now.
       Well done mate.

DaveMac82
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 90 posts |
      Reply #16235: Apr 21, 2014 07:24:10 pm
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16236: Apr 21, 2014 07:58:22 pm
      And your early concerns were warranted eurored. It's a brave man who can stand up and admit he was wrong. I'm sure there were a load of others with the same doubts who were not brave enough to come out and spout it. Also the same few who are keeping very quiet about it now.
       Well done mate.

the Brendan we see today is so far removed from that of the first season particularly the first half of the season.
      So I don't accept this bollox that people could see then that we would be here today. I never saw posts that were negative towards him merely posts wondering how this man was going to take us back to the top a man with so little experience of a club like ours.
      If you check his interviews out from his early days he didn't know when to stop talking but now every word is measured and meaningful.
      His improvements came when Sturridge came Jan to the end of last season we did very well and it looked good going forward.
      The fact is he is a far better man manager than anyone on this forum could have predicted and he seems to have improved every player even Gerrard.
      When you improve the team collectively by 5% then that is a massive improvement for the team.
      It may well be that our owners are not the best, not the most football savvy but maybe they are lucky ones.
      We got to the top of the league table because we now have a "team" and that includes Brendan and all his staff. The Anfield crowd is back in tune with the players and FSG have kept themselves in the back ground and that is exactly how it should be.
      Some of us have seen some fantastic teams some even go back to the 50's but I like what Alan Hansen said today when he said he had never played in a team like this that could destroy teams with pace and power. Nothing is new in football (although some like to think so ) but when Bill Shankly envisioned a "BASTION OF INVINCIBILITY" today is as close as we have ever been to that vision.He would be very proud of what the lads have achieved this season and his legacy is definitely safe in Brendan's hands
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16237: Apr 21, 2014 08:15:01 pm
      No shame Stu.
      Having followed this club also for more years than I care to remember and being a small part of our history as a sixties Kopite ....the dysfunctional positions we found ourselves in with Hicks Gillett and Hodgson :  TBH who wasnt going to be hyper critical of a rookie manager being appointed when there were people like Klopp and others with a proven track record around?

You only have to look along the East Lancs now ....to another established Premiership manager who won nothing in 11 years across the park being handed the reins of our rivals.

After our debacles you would have thought we should have played safe.

So I amongst others was of course critical of Brendan.
      As already has been said by another forum member the timing of This Is Liverpool and BRs immediate image wasnt exactly becoming.
      (Posters. Porsches  ...  Grimace.)
      To lose to Oldham was not a pleasant indicator.
      My criticism of him was not as a WUM.

It was as a long time supporter of 50 years fighting for the legacy and history of my esteemed club.
      I will defend anything I said without shame, regret or apology at the time.

I have admitted that FSG got it right.
      (Even Skrtel got the hang of backpassing in his own penalty area. ;D)

Brendans bravery has to be applauded.

We are back in the Champions League in the 25th year of the 96 .
      That to me means everything.

The next week or so is going to continue to be an emotional ride.

I think there's a difference between a 50 year old manager with a 15 year managerial career in England and a (then) 39 year old manager with only 3 seasons under his belt in the dugout. Every great artist starts with a blank canvas. It was the case with Klopp at Dortmund. It was the case with Guardiola at Barcelona. Too many people were dismissing his track record when he had barely been in football long enough to create a track record. It grated that people were so quick to criticise and dismiss him - damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. By all means he didn't get everything right but he always showed the mindset to be open and receptive to new ideas. Appointing Dr Steve Peters back in November 2012 proved that - he was intent on not just drawing inspiration from football, he wanted it from all over the sporting sphere, in this case the British cycling team. He showed all the hallmarks of a modern and progressive manager with his phenomenal job he did at Swansea, a job that was callously credited to Roberto Martinez's time at Swansea. It's one thing doing what Roberto did at Swansea but it's a different thing to promote them into the Premier League and a completely different task altogether to establish them into an attractive playing mid-table Premier League outfit in one season.

From what I've read and what I've heard from long time fans like yourself who witnessed greatness, in my opinion history has shown that Liverpool doesn't import greatness, it creates greatness. It would have been all fine and dandy in placing our stock in a proven talent like Guus Hiddink or a Louis Van Gaal but what Liverpool needed was the forging of something entirely original and new; not something that took inspiration from elsewhere because that would be derivative and one thing that this club has never been is derivative.

What Brendan has done in such a short space of time has just been remarkable and like yourself it means everything to me. I've always felt honoured to support Liverpool but, bizarrely, I've never felt so humble. The football and the results that have come with it has just been astonishing to comprehend in such a short space of time. By re-establishing ourselves amongst the best, the future looks brighter than I can ever recall. There are no limits.

Quick Reply