Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3040357 times
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16261: Apr 22, 2014 01:40:57 pm
      I wasn't convinced - right up to the turn of the year I still had reservations and my posts are there to be seen.

He's proved more flexible and tactical overall - but more especially "in-game" - since then than I thought he was capable of. Nowhere did I see the form and run of 2014 on the horizon and he has to take a huge amount of the credit for that.

Of course he's got things wrong along the way since he came in and will continue to - it's right and proper that people point this out. But by god he hasn't got much wrong this season!

He's done more than make us dream...he's got us expecting again.

He isn't the same manager as he was 12 months ago he has improved,learned call it what you want but all aspects of his job are now done with complete professionalism and class.
      He has even managed to stop most of the petty arguments on here and they have been going on since 2007.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16262: Apr 22, 2014 02:08:02 pm
      I don't think there is any problem in doubting various aspects of a managers abilities as long as you are respectful and give valid reasons for the doubts.

I have had plenty of doubts about Brendan, most of which have now faded away.... just needs to show he can be successful in the transfer market now.

Very happy with Brendan, delighted with what he has achieved and looking forward to what he will achieve over the next few years.   

Spot on Saint. There's a strange attitude that exists that suggests a criticism equals you're against someone. I've criticised Brendan plenty, especially in his first year here and by his own admission he was making many mistakes. Something I always gave him credit for was learning from his mistakes. Not once did he ever lose my support though and the only manager in the history of this club to lose my support before he bit the bullet was a certain Roy Hodgson.

Initially I was worried that he was too inflexible with his system and was far too entrenched in his own ideology. I feared he would stick to it at the cost of progress, thankfully he showed his adaptability from his system and these fears disappeared. I was then concerned that his new found adaptability was only correcting his own mistakes. There were numerous times that we would get dominated in the first half of games through poor team selection and tactics only to play much better in the 2nd half of games once those mistakes had been rectified. For this I gave Brendan equal credit and criticism because it's fine correcting a problem but it's also not so great when it's you causing the problem in the first place.

My final worry on the pitch was that we had trouble against the better teams. There was an extremely long run of games where we had got next to nothing from what are generally accepted as the better teams in the league. We'd seen under Kenny that this team could beat the better teams and no matter how much Brendan had proven against the lesser teams I knew the players were capable of producing performances against the stronger sides and Brendan hadn't managed to bring that out of them. This went on for some time and probably became my biggest concern with Brendan, thankfully those fears are clearly now all gone as he has also proven himself capable of this challenge. I think, again, he has simply learned from his mistakes, adapted and applied what he's learned the sign of someone who is very likely to succeed at the highest level.

His media handling had been an issue after the first few months. Initially I actually loved the way he spoke, he seemed to get us, the red nets, the reinstatement of the "This Is Anfield" sign and the way he spoke about everyone on a personal level with equal respect for ground staff and players alike. I loved all that but just because I saw something I liked didn't mean I couldn't be fair and criticise what I didn't like because I personally didn't like things such as: "anything above 7th would be a fantastic achievement" then resetting the goal posts with talk of first, 2nd, 4th, it seemed like he didn't have a clue what his actual target was. Without digging up the actual quotes he also suggested he had to be some kind of miracle worker to get this bunch of players competing at the top level.

This, to me, was poor man management, the players would have heard these ever changing goals, they would have heard that we needed "miracles" and that would have affected their mindset. He has since proven (unless you believe he is a miracle worker) that it was actually possible to compete at the top level with virtually the same group of players. On every occasion I criticised his media handling I suggested he should be adopting the 1 game at a time talk, in much the same way that Kenny gave the media nothing. Granted Kenny's frosty nature towards the media was not something I would advise, even though I personally loved it, because clearly FSG didn't. He also criticised the kids for a cup exit after it was of course him who'd chosen to put them in, this was poor and he rightfully later came out and corrected that mistake for which he then earned the credit he deserved. Brendan has now thankfully moved on to the line of media handling that is 1 game at a time, total deflection from setting goals and therefore giving the media absolutely nothing to pin against us or criticise us for.

So not only has he improved his initial team selections, our first half performances are now the best in league, meaning he doesn't need to correct his mistakes nearly as much, he's also moved away from some terrible sound bites and poor target setting. His man management skills seem to be improving too judging from the reactions he's getting from some of the lads he initially thought were surplus to requirements. The truth is he's learned valuable lessons and grown with the job to become the manager he is today and while those who blindly supported him in the early days are being proven right for their faith I believe criticising those who had genuine concerns early on is just childish behaviour that is reminiscent of dancing round shouting "I told you so!"

FWIW I stick by every criticism I've ever levelled at Brendan but am extremely happy to say he has now proven himself to be an absolutely outstanding coach and man manager, his media handling is now at a fantastic level and all that remains is for him to prove himself in the transfer market. Matters obviously become easier when you're winning and our faith will no doubt be tested again when things aren't going so smoothly but Brendan has now earned that faith and all I'd like to see is the man backed to the hilt in the transfer market this Summer and given the targets that he actually wants.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #16263: Apr 22, 2014 02:26:57 pm
      Ok come on, own up, who started the dick swinging contest?

Does it really matter who supported him from the beginning compared to those who only just got onboard or gradually had their minds changed over the course of his tenure?  We're human beings, individuals who will form different opinions at different times and no doubt there will be those who criticise earlier than others if results start to fade.

We've been through the dark times, together, we've come out of it, together and we'll go forward together. 

That's why we are supporters of Liverpool Football Club not some other scummy club.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16264: Apr 22, 2014 03:12:25 pm
      Chelsea fans have been asking similar questions.  :f_tongueincheek:

Just Chelsea fans?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,071 posts | 2746 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #16265: Apr 22, 2014 06:06:51 pm
      Interesting fact. If we win it Brendan wont be the 1st Irishman to lead Liverpool to the championship.

David Ashworth in 1921-22 and 22-23 won it

Brendan would become the 9th manager in the clubs history to win it

Tom Watson David Ashworth Matt McQueen George Kay Bill Shankly Bob Paisley Joe Fagan and Kenny Dalglish are the 8 previous
      JacobDunne8
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #16266: Apr 23, 2014 09:02:15 pm
      NEW SONG FOR BRENDAN RODGERS
      (Tune of you are my sunshine)
      You are my Rodgers,
      My only Rodgers
      You came to Anfield to make us play,
      Your 5ft7
      Your managing heaven
      so please don't take my Rodgers away
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16267: Apr 23, 2014 09:17:24 pm
      Does it really matter who supported him from the beginning compared to those who only just got onboard or gradually had their minds changed over the course of his tenure?

For me it does, when people try to re-write history. I've got into quite a few heated discussions with people in this forum for their harsh attacks on Brendan and their incredible fickleness (as opposed to total leniency towards the previous manager) before, and now some of them are pretending they just "asked questions" or "had a few doubts", when even a small search on old topics will prove otherwise. There are those who have disrespected the manager and never gave him the time Liverpool managers should have to prove themselves (or that is, the time they thought Rafa or Kenny were supposed to be given, but not the young fella from Swansea).

I don't have a problem with anyone changing their minds or saying "look, I was wrong", after all I've done just that about the likes of Jordan Henderson and I am not ashamed of it, but I hate people trying to sound like super fans (especially if they need to mention just how old they are as if it justified any crap they've said, find these especially boring myself). We are humans indeed and recognizing mistakes is one great human quality.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16268: Apr 23, 2014 09:22:18 pm
      Dick swinging. ??!!  Ooooh Debs. You are awful .

(Do you mean the Dr Peters - Brendan mutual love - in ........ to be more refined about it ?) ;D

Nearly there .

Love you dahlink .

Mwa Mwa .

Ps. Brendan could do himself a big big favour and make NO response to Maureens victim statements.
      Come on BR.
      No verbal diarrohea back.
      Just be too cool for skool.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16269: Apr 23, 2014 09:52:12 pm
      Dick swinging. ??!!  Ooooh Debs. You are awful .

(Do you mean the Dr Peters - Brendan mutual love - in ........ to be more refined about it ?) ;D

Nearly there .

Love you dahlink .

Mwa Mwa .

Ps. Brendan could do himself a big big favour and make NO response to Maureens victim statements.
      Come on BR.
      No verbal diarrohea back.
      Just be too cool for skool.

Think Brendan is much too smart for that mate. Throughout the season he's actually mocked Maureen. Not only with his little Chihuahua comment but also mocking how Jose likes to get involved in all this and suggesting he wouldn't. Think he's far too mature to get draw in by such childish behaviour.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #16270: Apr 23, 2014 10:07:33 pm
      Think Brendan is much too smart for that mate. Throughout the season he's actually mocked Maureen. Not only with his little Chihuahua comment but also mocking how Jose likes to get involved in all this and suggesting he wouldn't. Think he's far too mature to get draw in by such childish behaviour.

Mate the kids I know laugh at Mourinho and would be offended at the comparison
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #16271: Apr 23, 2014 10:10:33 pm
      Mate the kids I know laugh at Mourinho and would be offended at the comparison

You're probably right mate and I was giving him too much credit. On the subject though the Telegraph are running with this:

"Roman Abramovich has given his blessing to Mourinho’s controversial plan to rest an entire XI against Liverpool."
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #16272: Apr 23, 2014 10:15:13 pm
      You're probably right mate and I was giving him too much credit. On the subject though the Telegraph are running with this:

"Roman Abramovich has given his blessing to Mourinho’s controversial plan to rest an entire XI against Liverpool."

Probably one of the clown's devilishly cunning wind ups/mind games/bullshit tactics, I wonder if Brendan needs warning?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16273: Apr 23, 2014 10:16:31 pm

You're right. I think he's just handled it in a grown up manner. He neatly clamped down on that horse comment by saying it was 'getting stupid now'. Not only did he direct it to Mourinho but he also directed it to the media, who were pathetically banging on about it like the unprofessionals many of them are.
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #16274: Apr 24, 2014 01:09:19 am
      Is there a link to a video? I haven't seen any comments from Rodgers regarding mourinho
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #16275: Apr 24, 2014 01:15:05 am
      For me it does, when people try to re-write history. I've got into quite a few heated discussions with people in this forum for their harsh attacks on Brendan and their incredible fickleness (as opposed to total leniency towards the previous manager) before, and now some of them are pretending they just "asked questions" or "had a few doubts", when even a small search on old topics will prove otherwise. There are those who have disrespected the manager and never gave him the time Liverpool managers should have to prove themselves (or that is, the time they thought Rafa or Kenny were supposed to be given, but not the young fella from Swansea).

I don't have a problem with anyone changing their minds or saying "look, I was wrong", after all I've done just that about the likes of Jordan Henderson and I am not ashamed of it, but I hate people trying to sound like super fans (especially if they need to mention just how old they are as if it justified any crap they've said, find these especially boring myself). We are humans indeed and recognizing mistakes is one great human quality.

?
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #16276: Apr 24, 2014 01:42:16 am
      Some here suggested Sami Hyypia should be hired - and that was earlier this season. Pathetic.

The only reason he never got the full backing when he was appointed was because

(A) He had no connection to the club (this was the most f**king dire comment)
      (B) How dare he have the audacity to replace King Kenny
      (C) He wasn't a big name in management (indeed, this was my reasons against him initially when his name began to prop up but yet neither were Shankly, Paisley, Fagan big names).
      (D) He 'talked' too much.... apparently

The one thing that grates for me is that, all of a sudden, since the turn of the year, his personality has suddenly changed and he's somewhat mellowed in his usage of hyperbole and press conferences. This has bizaarly coincided with the upswing in the teams fortunes!

I find it disrespectful towards Rodgers that he has apparently listened to sceptics and changed his stubborn ways, changed tactics and toned the press conferences down, all for the sake of preserving perceived wisdom of those sceptics. The man has done it his way and his way only.

It's pathetic, and if he ever started listening to the sceptics on this board, then he might as well leave Liverpool. Thankfully, he hasn't and if he ever did, this club would be on its f**king knees.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 02:39:50 am by Son Of A Gun »
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16277: Apr 24, 2014 01:59:49 am
      The one thing that grates for me is that, all of a sudden, since the turn of the year, his personality has suddenly changed and he's somewhat mellowed in his usage of hyperbole and press conferences. This has bizaarly coincided with the upswing in the teams fortunes!

I find it disrespectful towards Rodgers that he has apparently listened to sceptics and changed his stubborn ways, changed tactics and toned the press conferences down, all for the sake of preserving perceived wisdom of those sceptics. The man has done it his way and his way only.

Haha, so true! The team starts winning, and all of a sudden his press conferences are a pleasure to watch, he's supposedly not "bullshitting" anymore, he's finally heard the voice of reason and changed the team's style! (as if we have actually changed from playing possession based football, we're just doing it better and more efficiently)

He was stubborn and continues to be, the difference is we have been winning nearly every week, so now whatever he says it no longer hurts the feelings of those so eager to scrutinize every single phrase of his interviews. Playing attacking football has always been the plan, but Rome wasn't built in a day and players would not become "arrogant with the ball" (to use his words) without hard work.

As much as some prefer to think that Rodgers has improved by listening to their critics and somehow proving they were right (!), he's his own man and is bearing the fruits of his belief in himself.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #16278: Apr 24, 2014 02:48:59 am
      Top of the League by a clear margin with three games to go. Our nearest challengers up next where if we win, we knock them out the title chase. And yet we're still having a bi*ch fest. Couldn't make it up could you? For fucks sake, enjoy the F***ing ride we're on. Embrace it with every other Liverpool fan because we've all waited for seasons like this to come round again.

If being "right" or proving others "wrong" is so high on your priority list then you need to sort it out pronto. Do you want a congratulations and bit pat on the back? Congratulations, you never doubted Brendan Rodgers. You were right and others were wrong. Doesn't that make you feel good. By the way this isn't someone who was "wrong" kicking up a fuss, this is someone who has spent practically two decades where the most important thing in life was Liverpool Football Club. And at long last the most important thing in my life looks set to do the one thing I haven't seen, us winning a League Title. And yet here I am reading all the sly digs at those who questioned Brendan but now are happy to back him.

Did I doubt Brendan? Yes of course I did, I do with every Liverpool manager and any fan who doesn't has their head in the sand. Did I still back Brendan? Of course I did, I do with every Liverpool manager. But being "right" or "wrong" isn't important for me, what's important for me is the success of Liverpool Football Club. I don't want Liverpool to win the League so I can say "I told you so back in June we would", I want Liverpool to win the League so I can say "my club won the League". I don't want Liverpool to win the League so I can laugh at other clubs, which I know a lot on here will. Winning the League isn't important for them from a successful Liverpool point of view, it's important so they can laugh at United. I want Liverpool to win the League so I can say "my club won the League".

And one final thing, of course people's opinions change based on results. It's a results F***ing business for fucks sake. If we lost every game and got relegated those defending him to high heavens would want Rodgers sacked. So how is it incomprehensible that when we're doing well, those who doubted him are changing their views? People doubted Bob Paisley when he failed to win anything in his first year in charge, he followed that up with the League Title and UEFA Cup double in 76. People's opinions changed. It does happen and it's allowed to happen.

But of course to some it's all about being right, so once again, congratulations you were right.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #16279: Apr 24, 2014 03:01:41 am
      Top of the League by a clear margin with three games to go. Our nearest challengers up next where if we win, we knock them out the title chase. And yet we're still having a bi*ch fest. Couldn't make it up could you? For fucks sake, enjoy the f**king ride we're on. Embrace it with every other Liverpool fan because we've all waited for seasons like this to come round again.

If being "right" or proving others "wrong" is so high on your priority list then you need to sort it out pronto. Do you want a congratulations and bit pat on the back? Congratulations, you never doubted Brendan Rodgers. You were right and others were wrong. Doesn't that make you feel good. By the way this isn't someone who was "wrong" kicking up a fuss, this is someone who has spent practically two decades where the most important thing in life was Liverpool Football Club. And at long last the most important thing in my life looks set to do the one thing I haven't seen, us winning a League Title. And yet here I am reading all the sly digs at those who questioned Brendan but now are happy to back him.

Did I doubt Brendan? Yes of course I did, I do with every Liverpool manager and any fan who doesn't has their head in the sand. Did I still back Brendan? Of course I did, I do with every Liverpool manager. But being "right" or "wrong" isn't important for me, what's important for me is the success of Liverpool Football Club. I don't want Liverpool to win the League so I can say "I told you so back in June we would", I want Liverpool to win the League so I can say "my club won the League". I don't want Liverpool to win the League so I can laugh at other clubs, which I know a lot on here will. Winning the League isn't important for them from a successful Liverpool point of view, it's important so they can laugh at United. I want Liverpool to win the League so I can say "my club won the League".

And one final thing, of course people's opinions change based on results. It's a results f**king business for fucks sake. If we lost every game and got relegated those defending him to high heavens would want Rodgers sacked. So how is it incomprehensible that when we're doing well, those who doubted him are changing their views? People doubted Bob Paisley when he failed to win anything in his first year in charge, he followed that up with the League Title and UEFA Cup double in 76. People's opinions changed. It does happen and it's allowed to happen.

That's a cheap shot at the discussion, really. The point is not doubting the manager and changing minds; everyone does that, be it with a player, a manager, or whatever. What is being discussed is people pretending things that simply are not true ("healthy doubts", "always backed the manager", etc, when in reality the manager received a lot of unnecessary abuse); or being arrogant even when they do change their minds (that is, instead of recognizing they were wrong, they phrase it the other way round - Brendan was wrong, but now he has listened to - my - voice of reason).

Anyway...

But of course to some it's all about being right, so once again, congratulations you were right.

Thank you very much.  :f_tongueincheek:
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16280: Apr 24, 2014 05:31:57 am
      Son of a Gun & Diego LFC have summed up perfectly what I've seen on the board in the short time I've been here.

Excellent points, that really hit the nail on the head lads, well said.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16281: Apr 24, 2014 07:30:18 am
      I didn't care much for his personality when he arrived... still don't. Love the way he has got the team winning .... which is all that really counts for me.

Anyone who can't see that he changed the way the team play after the first six months he was here must be blind. Before Sturridge arrived we played the ball too slowly from the back and had little penetration... after Sturridge arrived we started to play the ball forward much quicker, more direct and with a lot more purpose. The first six months under Brendan we had more possession than under Dalglish.... since Sturridge and Coutinho's arrival we have had LESS possession than we had under Dalglish..... FACT!!! First 19 games under Brendan we scored 28 goals second six months we scored 43 goals, and we have been scoring freely ever since Brendan CHANGED to a more direct style.

I don't think anyone believes Brendan changed his style because of suggestions or criticism on here, but because with the additional pace that Sturridge brought to the team it suited us better.

My first visit to Anfield was in 1968, I have supported Liverpool since 1965.... I don't believe I throw how long I have been a supporter down anyone's throat, but I am not going to pretend I am ashamed of the fact either.

I usually like your posts Diego but your last few in this thread have been poor mate.

We are doing fantastically well , much better than I believed possible with the thin squad we have. I honestly can't understand why you would try to annoy people who genuinely only want success for Liverpool and are just as delighted as you that we are finally achieving it.   

Gabri
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 174 posts | 26 
      Reply #16282: Apr 24, 2014 07:47:36 am
      Ok. I don't  think that there was even a single fan that felt elated when we appointed BR.
      The same happened in 1986 in MU when they appointed AF, even though he has already proven his capabilities with Aberdeen.
      And generally speaking the same happens with every manager that he is on his early career stages.

So it is at least hypocritical to say that we supported the manager from the early stages.
      However, managers become legends when they show their potential and their capabilities on the pitch.
      So suppose that BR stays in the team for 10 years and the only trophies that we get is this year's league, one or two capital one or FA cups and we finish in a CL spot every year.

Will he be a legend? Will he considered to be a great manager, even greater than Rafa?

I cannot answer that question in mind yet.

lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #16283: Apr 24, 2014 07:54:38 am
      Quote from Son Of A Gun
      The only reason he never got the full backing when he was appointed was because

(A) He had no connection to the club (this was the most f**king dire comment)
      (B) How dare he have the audacity to replace King Kenny
      (C) He wasn't a big name in management (indeed, this was my reasons against him initially when his name began to prop up but yet neither were Shankly, Paisley, Fagan big names).

The man has done it his way and his way only.

It's pathetic, and if he ever started listening to the sceptics on this board, then he might as well leave Liverpool.

Who is right or wrong is not important.  What is important is the success of Liverpool Football Club.

Like many, I made comments about Brendan last year. As always, I stand over those comments, there were solid reasons behind them. Only last August, things were still looking grim, when we couldn't beat Celtic's reserves in Dublin, and Luis was holding us hostage. But we started the season well and as the season went on, we racked up the goals and the wins, and we're now not merely in contention, but have the tape in sight, playing a brand of football I like, that few teams are able to match, let alone beat. Brendan must and does get the credit for that, and when we go back to Dublin in a few weeks time for the Rovers game, we'll be in a much better place and able to relax and enjoy ourselves in a carnival atmosphere. That would have been inconceivable at the beginning of August.

Quick Reply