Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3040538 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16284: Apr 24, 2014 08:09:50 am
      Brendan was wrong, but now he has listened to - my - voice of reason).

Anyway...

Ive never seen any one on these boards say that.

The bottom line is Rodgers tenure so far has been less than perfect, criticism has come for area's of criticism that have been presented by himself.

The Flip side to that is with the upturn in form, praise has come for area's of praise that have been presented by himself.

I can't remember one single poster on the boards with exception of ripabru what ever you call him, calling for Rodgers exit, some people were just not happy with certain things and voiced their concerns.

Didn't mean they did not want him to succeed.

Its like FSG, I've been heavily critical of them and the best compliment I have gave Rodgers is everything he achieves this season will be in spite of them not because of them, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like John Henry on the Anfield pitch following the Newcastle match smoking a F***ing Huge cigar celebrating our first win title win in over two decades.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,340 posts | 1620 
      Reply #16285: Apr 24, 2014 08:29:17 am
      What i dont get is fans coming on here with sly digs at others, if truth be told none were totally right and none totally wrong , the truth as always lies somewhere in the middle, there are some who wanted kenny more time ,some who didn,t that,s just opinions ,no one knew if he would get it right ,the same as none of us knew if BR would, what i do know is most genuine liverpool fans wanted both to succeed as ultimately it meant the club would succeed .

What,s without doubt is the way the team is playing ,now wether that is by evolution or design none of us know but we are playing differently ,and thank fck for that ,hence the very reason we are top of the league, those of you who see themselves as being right fcking enjoy it ,those like myself who had reservations will still enjoy it just as much because we all support lfc and ultimately all want to win.   
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16286: Apr 24, 2014 09:03:11 am
      Ive never seen any one on these boards say that.

The bottom line is Rodgers tenure so far has been less than perfect, criticism has come for area's of criticism that have been presented by himself.

The Flip side to that is with the upturn in form, praise has come for area's of praise that have been presented by himself.

I can't remember one single poster on the boards with exception of ripabru what ever you call him, calling for Rodgers exit, some people were just not happy with certain things and voiced their concerns.

Didn't mean they did not want him to succeed.

Its like FSG, I've been heavily critical of them and the best compliment I have gave Rodgers is everything he achieves this season will be in spite of them not because of them, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't like John Henry on the Anfield pitch following the Newcastle match smoking a F***ing Huge cigar celebrating our first win title win in over two decades.

One of the most moronic things I have ever read on here.

If his aim was to be spiteful, he would leave the club. But his aim is to be successful and he knew what methods were in place before he signed. I 100% believe FSG would NEVER indicate to BR he was going to be given a sh*t load to spend and they simply went back on their word.

"In spite". Laughable.

BR: "I hate my bosses. So I'm going to spite them by being successful and making them more money. That'll teach them!"

After all, money was spent pre season. And not an insignificant amount either.

If Brendan was to be spiteful he would not try and win the league. He would fall short intentionally and point to his lack of quality players as a sign he needs more support.

FSG are some of the smartest people in sports management. Believe me. Their model is secure and very low variance. Our revenues rival some of the biggest teams in the world, and that's with out CL football. Would you believe our income from sponsorships and match days etc. are nearly on level with when we had CL football on an annual basis? They've brought us up off the pitch splendidly. I couldn't applaud them more for the work they have done.

Just have some patience and less ego. Success is literally around the corner.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #16287: Apr 24, 2014 09:04:29 am
      Don't care who was right, or who was wrong or how right or how wrong

Bottom line,BR has grown into the role, he is now beginning to excel in it and we are less than 300 minutes of football away from the glorious possibility of no.19
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #16288: Apr 24, 2014 09:06:04 am
      Ah.

You can only enjoy our success under Brendan now and think he is doing a great job if you said so from the start and never criticised him?

Got it. :gt-happyup:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16289: Apr 24, 2014 09:23:42 am

If his aim was to be spiteful, he would leave the club. But his aim is to be successful and he knew what methods were in place before he signed. I 100% believe FSG would NEVER indicate to BR he was going to be given a sh*t load to spend and they simply went back on their word.

"In spite". Laughable.

BR: "I hate my bosses. So I'm going to spite them by being successful and making them more money. That'll teach them!"

If Brendan was to be spiteful he would not try and win the league. He would fall short intentionally and point to his lack of quality players as a sign he needs more support.

FSG are some of the smartest people in sports management. Believe me. Their model is secure and very low variance. Our revenues rival some of the biggest teams in the world, and that's with out CL football. Would you believe our income from sponsorships and match days etc. are nearly on level with when we had CL football on an annual basis? They've brought us up off the pitch splendidly. I couldn't applaud them more for the work they have done.

Just have some patience and less ego. Success is literally around the corner.

I don't think you are reading "in spite of " as Redlfcblood meant it mate. He means it in the regardless or despite sense. e.g. I went for a walk in spite of the rain. I succeeded despite their efforts to stop me. Not that Brendan did it to spite FSG.

They've brought us up off the pitch splendidly.

I agree.... it's on the pitch were they have failed to adequately support Brendan and where Brendan has had to work miracles despite having such a weak squad.   

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16290: Apr 24, 2014 09:24:20 am

"In spite". Laughable.

What are you talking about ?

I think you have totally misread the comment and do not understand what in spite of  means.

So sorry Crouchino the fact that you haven't a scobby doo (clue) what in spite of means then your whole reply is

Some one Help poor Crouchie out, I'm too busy pissing myself laughing here  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16291: Apr 24, 2014 09:25:21 am
      I don't think you are reading "in spite of " as Redlfcblood meant it mate. He means it in the regardless or despite sense. e.g. I went for a walk in spite of the rain. I succeeded despite their efforts to stop me. Not that Brendan did it to spite FSG.

I agree.... it's on the pitch were they have failed to adequately support Brendan and where Brendan has had to work miracles despite having such a weak squad.   

Nailed it S@int  :gt-happyup:

I agree.... it's on the pitch were they have failed to adequately support Brendan and where Brendan has had to work miracles in spite of having such a weak squad.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16292: Apr 24, 2014 09:29:21 am
      anyone who think's Brendan is the same man who came here nearly two years ago is puffing on JH cigar. He has "LEARNED" how to be Liverpool manager which has nothing to do with tactics or football in general. Like Saint I have seen enough of the managers here to judge Brendan and when he came here he was the least experienced man we have had and his media comments and interviews reflected that.
      He is now a much more experienced Manager and to his great credit says far less now and lets the team do the talking on the pitch.
      I stand by everything I have posted about Brendan and will not take any lessons from people who think they new better and from day 1 Brendan would get us where we are today.
      Here in Liverpool many people were not sure what to make of him at first and the making of "Being Liverpool" was not a good idea by any stretch of the imagination.
      The reason he doesn't get criticised now is because he is doing his job well and people would do well to remember we support the club first and the manager and the team second as all of them will at some point leave us and others will take their place.
      When Shankly failed to win anything for 6 years do you honestly think people did not criticise him or his players the difference then was it was done at the match or in pubs or at work not on line. I don't wear a badge that's says "I ONCE CRITICISED BILL SHANKLY " so as Deb said stop with the dick swinging its starting to become tiresome.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #16293: Apr 24, 2014 09:30:30 am
      ree games to go. Our nearest challengers up next where if we win, we knock them out the title chase. And yet we're still having a bi*ch fest.

BUT HULL BEAT US!!!!

hahahahaha

Jesus I cannot cope with the stress let alone Rodgers.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16294: Apr 24, 2014 09:43:48 am
      What are you talking about ?

I think you have totally misread the comment and do not understand what in spite of  means.

So sorry Crouchino the fact that you haven't a scobby doo (clue) what in spite of means then your whole reply is

Some one Help poor Crouchie out, I'm too busy pissing myself laughing here  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Google the word "spite". Plenty of definitions out there.

The word you were looking for was "despite". Spite = malicious intent or defiance.

Stop laughing cherub. Trying to belittle someone with emoticons looks silly when you can't use the proper terms ;D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16295: Apr 24, 2014 09:46:02 am
      Google the word "spite". Plenty of definitions out there.

The word you were looking for was "despite". Spite = malicious intent or defiance.

Stop laughing cherub. Trying to belittle someone with emoticons looks silly when you can't use the proper terms ;D

But then I never said 'Spite', I said 'In Spite Of' that's the difference, 'In Spite Of' = 'Despite'

Oh dear, stop showing yourself up kid.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-reference/spite-despite-although

You misread the context plain and simple and I'm not getting drawn into an argument with you over it.
      « Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 09:59:36 am by RedLFCBlood »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16296: Apr 24, 2014 10:00:00 am
      But then I never said 'Spite', I said 'In Spite Of' that's the difference, 'In Spite Of' = 'Despite'

Oh dear, stop showing yourself up kid.

https://learnenglish.britishcouncil.org/en/grammar-reference/spite-despite-although

I misread it. Sorry.

Stop being a c**t, though. You're a mechanic, not an English teacher. If you want to discuss the English language, I'm more than happy to and if you want to discuss business I am more than happy to oblige with that too. Not here though.

However I'll never discuss respect with you because you wouldn't know it if it broke down in the middle of your garage and slapped you in the face.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16297: Apr 24, 2014 10:04:16 am

Apology accepted.

Now lets draw a line under it, I'll not get involved in the rest, you have an opinion of me that won't change, I'm cool with that.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16298: Apr 24, 2014 10:06:16 am

That's how I read his post too saint, I don't think there was anything "moronic" in it at all.

I will say it's interesting you think Diego's last few posts are poor whereas I think they're bang on the money.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #16299: Apr 24, 2014 10:11:09 am
      Apology accepted.

Now lets draw a line under it, I'll not get involved in the rest, you have an opinion of me that won't change, I'm cool with that.

I think it's quite the opposite.

Alas, I don't care.

Brendan is good, FSG are good and any success we have will be because of the collective.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16300: Apr 24, 2014 10:15:52 am
      I think it's quite the opposite.

Alas, I don't care.

Brendan is good, FSG are good and any success we have will be because of the collective.

Not saying they are poor, just saying that due to the fact several transfer targets were missed that led to Brendan having to pretty much rely on a squad that is stream lined to put it politely means that his success will be in spite of the money men not because of them.

Out of daftness, lets say we went that little extra for Micky Ryan, Willian or Salah, Konoplylanka, the title may just have been wrapped up by now, not so much Konopylanka or Salah given our form since January but you know what I mean.

Personally I think that's a massive compliment to Rodgers as he's took a weak squad in comparison's to the likes of City to the brink of winning our first title in over two decades.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2014 10:25:54 am by RedLFCBlood »
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #16301: Apr 24, 2014 10:32:19 am
      Dont come round here come round here!

Jeez lads, bi*ch fest
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16302: Apr 24, 2014 10:42:09 am
      I will say it's interesting you think Diego's last few posts are poor whereas I think they're bang on the money.

So you think Brendan is still playing the same style of football as when he first arrived? Or that people really said or believed that Brendan had changed his views or tactics based on what they had said?

Total bollocks mate.

I have had a lot of doubts about Brendan, but that didn't mean I didn't want him to prove them wrong. I still have some doubts about Brandon (mainly transfer related) , but I hope to god he proves them to be unfounded too.

All managers get criticized when things aren't going great, all managers faults get overlooked when things are going great. It doesn't mean we want them sacked. I don't believe in putting a manager on a pedestal while we all bow down and worship him, I believe in being honest and if I think a manager has made a mistake that we should be allowed to express our opinion.

I don't remember many calling for him to be sacked even when things were going badly. Now things are going well I think we should be celebrating that fact, rather than moaning about people who had reasonable(?) doubts when things weren't going so well.

I remember having doubts about whether Suarez was a "clinical" enough finisher in his first season, I am happy enough with his finishing now, or does it mean because I had doubts I shouldn't celebrate when he scores?

Brendan has said things I don't think he should have said, done some things I think were wrong, bought some players I don't think he should have, but we are top of the league which is what really matters.....so I think he has done a good job, in fact with the thin squad he has had he has done a fantastic job....doesn't mean he is perfect, doesn't mean if he does something I don't agree with that I won't give my opinion.   

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16303: Apr 24, 2014 10:57:49 am
      So you think Brendan is still playing the same style of football as when he first arrived? Or that people really said or believed that Brendan had changed his views or tactics based on what they had said?

Total bollocks mate.

I didn't say that S@int. But the biggest turnaround here comes from the misconceptions of the forum's whingers, not Rodgers' tactics/emotions/persona etc.

I have had a lot of doubts about Brendan, but that didn't mean I didn't want him to prove them wrong. I still have some doubts about Brandon (mainly transfer related) , but I hope to god he proves them to be unfounded too.

Saint, you are pretty reasonable fella, and I believe you sincerely don't mind being proved wrong.

All managers get criticized when things aren't going great, all managers faults get overlooked when things are going great. It doesn't mean we want them sacked. I don't believe in putting a manager on a pedestal while we all bow down and worship him, I believe in being honest and if I think a manager has made a mistake that we should be allowed to express our opinion.

I don't remember many calling for him to be sacked even when things were going badly. Now things are going well I think we should be celebrating that fact, rather than moaning about people who had reasonable(?) doubts when things weren't going so well.

I remember having doubts about whether Suarez was a "clinical" enough finisher in his first season, I am happy enough with his finishing now, or does it mean because I had doubts I shouldn't celebrate when he scores?

Brendan has said things I don't think he should have said, done some things I think were wrong, bought some players I don't think he should have, but we are top of the league which is what really matters.....so I think he has done a good job, in fact with the thin squad he has had he has done a fantastic job....doesn't mean he is perfect, doesn't mean if he does something I don't agree with that I won't give my opinion.   

Talking about Rodgers saying things, I could almost guarantee you that had he stated that "he thinks Sterling is the best young player in Europe right now" amid-st a run of patchy results, or earlier on in his tenure he would have got absolutely f**king slaughtered for it for a number of reasons. He's carried on 'big-in-up' certain players but now this isn't even worthy of discussion, where as 8-12 months ago it certainly would have been irrespective of Raheem's form. It would have been more 'hyperbole, more needless pressure of adding to the shoulders of a young lad', basically any chance to have a snipe - similar to those "brilliant" comments many got their knickers in a twist about.

It's not so much that Rodgers has drastically magicked our form from nothing, it's that the initial misconceptions about him and the snipes, proved to be blather and hot air because he has shown otherwise that's the biggest difference we've seen from then and now. His modus operandi is not that unnoticeable from day dot, the misconceptions about him ARE.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,143 posts | 4896 
      Reply #16304: Apr 24, 2014 11:11:37 am
      It's not so much that Rodgers has drastically magicked our form from nothing, it's that the initial misconceptions about him and the snipes, proved to be blather and hot air

So what if they were?

People criticised Brendan for things he said and done.

They may well have been proven wrong.

So F***ing what.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,002 posts | 3350 
      Reply #16305: Apr 24, 2014 11:21:14 am
      Like Saint I have seen enough of the managers here to judge Brendan and when he came here he was the least experienced man we have had and his media comments and interviews reflected that.

No he isn't.

In terms of managing in England's top flight, he's actually the second most experienced we've had from Shankly onwards - after a certain Mr Roy Hodgson. (excluding Kenny's second spell).

Shanks had never managed in the top flight before taking the job. Bob, Joe and Kenny had never managed any clubs before. Souness had only managed in Scotland up to that point. Roy Evans never had a first team managerial job before us. Houllier and Benitez had never managed in England before. Rodgers had a full season of top flight experience under his belt.

Even on the worldwide scale, he's still more experienced than any of the three men who managed us during the 80s when they got the job.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #16306: Apr 24, 2014 11:23:51 am
      No he isn't.

In terms of managing in England's top flight, he's actually the second most experienced we've had from Shankly onwards - after a certain Mr Roy Hodgson. (excluding Kenny's second spell).

Shanks had never managed in the top flight before taking the job. Bob, Joe and Kenny had never managed any clubs before. Souness had only managed in Scotland up to that point. Roy Evans never had a first team managerial job before us. Houllier and Benitez had never managed in England before. Rodgers had a full season of top flight experience under his belt.

Even on the worldwide scale, he's still more experienced than any of the three men who managed us during the 80s when they got the job.

Hardly because Bob Joe and Kenny all had years of experience of Liverpool Football club and that is a huge advantage to have when taking over this club and all of them did pretty well.

Quick Reply