Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032244 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #16307: Apr 24, 2014 11:27:47 am
      Hardly because Bob Joe and Kenny all had years of experience of Liverpool Football club and that is a huge advantage to have when taking over this club and all of them did pretty well.

Yes they had years of experience at Liverpool Football Club, they still had no experience of managing first team affairs which is a whole different to just being a coach.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #16308: Apr 24, 2014 11:38:04 am
      I didn't say that S@int. But the biggest turnaround here comes from the misconceptions of the forum's whingers, not Rodgers' tactics/emotions/persona etc.

You didn't say that, but Diego did, and you said his post were "bang on the money". 

I was totally wrong about this season mate. I thought we would finish about 6th, if I had known how poor Moses and Cissokho were, or how little use we would get from most of our Summer signings I would probably have said even lower!

Talking about Rodgers saying things, I could almost guarantee you that had he stated that "he thinks Sterling is the best young player in Europe right now" amid-st a run of patchy results, or earlier on in his tenure he would have got absolutely f**king slaughtered for it for a number of reasons. He's carried on 'big-in-up' certain players but now this isn't even worthy of discussion, where as 8-12 months ago it certainly would have been irrespective of Raheem's form. It would have been more 'hyperbole, more needless pressure of adding to the shoulders of a young lad', basically any chance to have a snipe - similar to those "brilliant" comments many got their knickers in a twist about.It's not so much that Rodgers has drastically magicked our form from nothing, it's that the initial misconceptions about him and the snipes, proved to be blather and hot air because he has shown otherwise that's the biggest difference we've seen from then and now. His modus operandi is not that unnoticeable from day dot, the misconceptions about him ARE.

I think he has made quite a few gaffs in his statements and while I think we accept more willingly some of his comments now due to his success (walked the walk ) some of his comments especially his earlier comments were unnecessary or wrong, success or not.

I don't really know what you mean by misconceptions mate? I had doubts about his transfers (still do), doubts about whether we could beat top sides (we hadn't beaten many) and as soon as he showed that we could I jumped down off the fence.

I do stand by my original doubt which was that he would struggle to attract the top European players. Hopefully now he has proven himself and we are back in the CL that will no longer be a factor. 

I don't expect him to get everything right mate, just enough to keep us progressing and winning games and titles.   

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #16309: Apr 24, 2014 12:06:38 pm

Brendan is not amused with your needless bickering.

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16310: Apr 24, 2014 12:08:08 pm
      I didn't say that S@int. But the biggest turnaround here comes from the misconceptions of the forum's whingers, not Rodgers' tactics/emotions/persona etc.

Completely disagree, I wouldn't class myself as a forum whinger, nor would I class some one like S@int as one either, football is a a game where the fans have an emotional investment in the club, depending how strong that emotional investment is then people will obviously make emotional judgments, take Reina for example, big player at the club, been here years, had a strong bond with the fans, now because I've got over 30 years of emotional investment in Liverpool and have seen players of his stature treat much better, with that emotional investment in the club and players, I called Rodgers a bullshitter in regards to how Reina's situation was handled and I stand by that and always will, the same with Suarez who was saying he wanted out because of 'the media', I called Luis out on that straight away and called him a bull shi**er and said it was solely about champions league football with the same emotion, which indeed turned out to be the case when he started flirting with Arsenal, the same turned out to be the case with Rodgers over Reina, he wasn't straight with us.

Wasn't looking to have a moan or a whinge, infact I'd been nothing but complimentary to Rodgers following the January window and the arrival of Sturridge and Coutinho as his philosophy evolved prior to the Reina situation.

Some people just call it how they see it, no pussy footing about, no burying their hands in the sand and no crossing their fingers hoping everything will turn out for the best to save face on an internet forum.

The thing I think we can take from this is quite simple The majority of people who did have doubts in Rodgers have been there to offer support as well as criticism, but have been the first to hold their hands up and admit maybe they have been wrong on the whole.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16311: Apr 24, 2014 12:13:49 pm
      I don't really want to get involved, and I'm sure Saint is big enough and ugly enough to fight his own corner, but I have to say that Saint was reasonable, fair and usually right on the money when he expressed his doubts about BR, even though I disagreed with many of his doubts.
      He also had no compunctions about giving credit where it was due.

At the same time, I understand completely where Diego is coming from with some of the revisionism we see. I just wouldn't include Saint in there.

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #16312: Apr 24, 2014 12:15:30 pm
      Does it really matter who supported him from the beginning compared to those who only just got onboard or gradually had their minds changed over the course of his tenure?  We're human beings, individuals who will form different opinions at different times and no doubt there will be those who criticise earlier than others if results start to fade.
      Personally I don't think it matters 'debs; why should it?

As you say human nature is such that it reacts to any situation as it arises. We've all got our foibles and I learned to accept that a while back. I'm not angry because people spoke how they felt at a given time but have now changed their opinion on Brendan as events unfolded. In fact I'm happy... there's nothing like unity - it's what our greatness was built on.

I fully understand why some might feel agitated... of course I do. After all I remember how some were singing Kenny's praises, when he started managing us again, only to turn on him when results went against us and that angered me. I'd be a hypocrite if I 'conveniently' forgot that. I guess we are witnessing that in reverse... it works both ways.

So yes; I get the anger but to carry a grudge? Maybe... but for how long? How long before we let go of that grudge, unite and move on. I know, from experience, it will happen at some point.

Why not now; when we are on the verge of something really special?  :confused-smiley-013:

Anyhows... good luck Redmen and Redwomen and be good - we're on our way to glory.  8)

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16313: Apr 24, 2014 12:21:11 pm
      Managing expectations ;)   >:D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #16314: Apr 24, 2014 12:24:55 pm
      But can Rodgers repeat this seasons league success next season......  :f_run:
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #16315: Apr 24, 2014 12:32:59 pm
      Some people need to lighten up. Brendan's doing a boss job and we're 7 points from glory. Enjoy it!

Save the moaning and bickering for when we start F***ing up our transfers in a few months :D
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #16316: Apr 24, 2014 12:41:02 pm
      Revisionism comes in many flavours. Show me a single person who said we'd have a real chance of winning the league this year while scoring 100 goals into the process and I'll hold my hands up and say "we have somebody here who was right all along". Sheesh even Brendan himself, soundbites and all wouldn't have predicted that. So he's surpassed EVERYONES expectations, NOBODY was spot on right about him.

What did stick in my throat a little when he first came was some peoples reluctance to even give the fella a chance, that's all. Mostly it was based if we're honest on a hankering to have either Kenny or Rafa as the manager instead of Brendan, but pretty much all of that has been absent for some time now.

As for him "changing" and "learning" I suppose he has, but some would choose to call it "adapting" (and S@ints point about us hitting the front quicker since Sturridge is a totally fair one). I know one thing, envelopes aside if we all watched "being Liverpool" now the quotes wouldn't be anywhere near so cringeworthy. Essentially the stuff he talked about on there is the stuff he's now doing, it's just that it seemed unbelievable and bullsh!t at the time whereas now it's reality.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16317: Apr 24, 2014 12:45:09 pm
      As for him "changing" and "learning" I suppose he has, but some would choose to call it "adapting" (and S@ints point about us hitting the front quicker since Sturridge is a totally fair one).

Which some would call an evolution of his philosophy, which is all I ever criticised him for when it was clear it wasn't working with the players he had at his disposal in the first 6 months.

Now I'm not arrogant enough to suggest Rodgers logged in here read my post and thought F***ing hell RedLFCBlood is right, because it never happened that way, he brought players in most notably Coutinho and Sturridge for that evolution to occur.

One thing I've never criticised Rodgers for is being Liverpool, that was thrust up on him, arranged before he was manager and he dealt with it in a manner that probably exposed his nativity to just how big a club Liverpool was and that he'd be under the microscope at the time, but as I said it was thrust on him and he dealt with it as best he could.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #16318: Apr 24, 2014 12:51:11 pm
      I still haven't warmed to Rodgers the man, Rodgers the manager has my support.  Always going to be discussions though, unless we all become sycophantic yes men. Just embrace the differences....or put them on ignore. ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16319: Apr 24, 2014 12:53:40 pm
      At the same time, I understand completely where Diego is coming from with some of the revisionism we see. I just wouldn't include Saint in there 
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #16320: Apr 24, 2014 01:05:50 pm
      There were definite negative undertones from some posters on this thread, ones who were most unhappy that Rafa wasn't given a second chance, and Kenny not given long enough.

That is always going to be the case unfortunately because following club legends is the hardest thing to do, just ask "The Chosen One".

Results speak for themselves and those who questioned more vociferously than others have got on board with the rest, but being top of the league has a habit of silencing the doubters.

Hopefully by the time Brendan has finished here, we will have the same people questioning the next manager because he isn't Brendan Rogers multiple league and cup winner.

P.S FSG deserve credit here, the two men they wanted Martinez and Rogers have proven to be the two best young coaches in the league, so they and whoever has been advising them have had a worldie there.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #16321: Apr 24, 2014 01:12:54 pm
      Completely disagree, I wouldn't class myself as a forum whinger, nor would I class some one like S@int as one either, football is a a game where the fans have an emotional investment in the club, depending how strong that emotional investment is then people will obviously make emotional judgments, take Reina for example, big player at the club, been here years, had a strong bond with the fans, now because I've got over 30 years of emotional investment in Liverpool and have seen players of his stature treat much better, with that emotional investment in the club and players, I called Rodgers a bullshitter in regards to how Reina's situation was handled and I stand by that and always will, the same with Suarez who was saying he wanted out because of 'the media', I called Luis out on that straight away and called him a bull shi**er and said it was solely about champions league football with the same emotion, which indeed turned out to be the case when he started flirting with Arsenal, the same turned out to be the case with Rodgers over Reina, he wasn't straight with us.

Wasn't looking to have a moan or a whinge, infact I'd been nothing but complimentary to Rodgers following the January window and the arrival of Sturridge and Coutinho as his philosophy evolved prior to the Reina situation.

Some people just call it how they see it, no pussy footing about, no burying their hands in the sand and no crossing their fingers hoping everything will turn out for the best to save face on an internet forum.

The thing I think we can take from this is quite simple The majority of people who did have doubts in Rodgers have been there to offer support as well as criticism, but have been the first to hold their hands up and admit maybe they have been wrong on the whole.

Good post.

I didn't think of your posts nor S@ints'......really  ;)

Listen, I don't know Diego nor Son of a Gun from a bar of soap, I don't PM them lobbying support against a particular poster, or posters  ;) but I've noticed exactly what they've said, and what a couple of others have hinted at. If it was just me with this perception, I'd question this much more but it isn't just me. There is something in what they've said - revisionism is a good way of putting it now, aka sugarcoating fact with a wringing twist of BS, to cover up the initial divisive nature of some posts.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16322: Apr 24, 2014 01:29:31 pm
      Now lets back to what we should be doing and that's supporting Liverpool F.C on the brink of their first title win in over two decades and enjoy the F***ing ride, even if it means you've chewed your finger nails down to your knuckles like I have. :D
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #16323: Apr 24, 2014 05:56:38 pm
      Hey I remember when posters here kept calling Brendan "creepy" for saying nice things about the club's supporters.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #16324: Apr 24, 2014 05:59:13 pm
      Hey I remember when posters here kept calling Brendan "creepy" for saying nice things about the club's supporters.

I remember posters here saying BR was a liar and was bullshitting us and all sorts of other crap when Mignolet came in.

I mean it's not as though situations are fluid and the party line may need to change as circumstances do, no it was all because BR was a lying bullshitter.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,113 posts | 4877 
      Reply #16325: Apr 24, 2014 06:21:27 pm
      Now lets back to what we should be doing and that's supporting Liverpool F.C on the brink of their first title win in over two decades and enjoy the F***ing ride

That went well. :roll: :D
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16326: Apr 24, 2014 06:27:14 pm

Some just thrive on the division and negativity mate. :D

The other ones just a F***ing Tosser.  :f_whistle:
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #16327: Apr 24, 2014 07:48:09 pm
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #16328: Apr 24, 2014 07:55:27 pm
      Some thought Brendan would be good, some thought bad, some didn't know.

Turns out he's been good for us so far, and that's likely to get even better. Opinions; arseholes - get over it.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #16329: Apr 24, 2014 07:59:50 pm
      Some thought Brendan would be good, some thought bad, some didn't know.

Turns out he's been good for us so far, and that's likely to get even better. Opinions; arseholes - get over it.

Fazzakerley, can't see why it was brought up when were flying high and majority seem positive about the team, manager, stadium, even ownership.

Quick Reply