Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032296 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,115 posts | 4880 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #25323: Mar 25, 2015 11:05:59 pm
      So our best 11 (of just Rodgers signings) looks something like this:

Mignolet
       Manquillo       Lovren     Sakho     Moreno

Can         Allen
            Markovic       Coutinho       Lallana
                                Sturridge

Others:  Balotelli, Origi, Borini, Aspas, Alberto, Lambert, Ilori, Toure.

Is the squad above good enough to win the league? Is it even good enough to finish inside the top four?

I think given a good run that side could finish inside the top four.

Flanno, Ibe and Sterling in particular have bailed Rodgers out in a way. Three young kids who have played exceptionally well.

I'm not sure Brendan deserves criticism for this considering he is the man who has given these players the time to flourish in our team and if they have 'bailed him out' then surely they were only able to do that by him giving him the opportunity.

A strange post altogether given you begin it by declaring you are a big fan of the manager.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #25324: Mar 26, 2015 12:38:57 am
      I'm frustrated and i know there is a lot frustrated but we have to remember this is the first time we have lost in more than 3 months. 13 games undefeated till those cu*ts, our stupidity and that c**t of a Ref wrecked our record. So I'm not gonna be too harsh on Brendan.

Let's go 10 more games unbeaten and see where it leaves us.
      Harsh on Brendan???Are u serious,its not Brendans fault for Morenos bad positioning and for captains red card 40 seconds after he entered the game.I dont blame him at all for this loss.I blame that greedy c**t that knows how to ask wage raise to 100.000 pounds per week but doesnt know how to play a proper game this season,i blame Moreno who was lost on sunday and its hard for me to say that but i blame the captain that had two last seasons marked with a  slip and a 40 second red card.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25325: Mar 26, 2015 05:48:48 am
      Harsh on Brendan???Are u serious,its not Brendans fault for Morenos bad positioning and for captains red card 40 seconds after he entered the game.I dont blame him at all for this loss.I blame that greedy c**t that knows how to ask wage raise to 100.000 pounds per week but doesnt know how to play a proper game this season,i blame Moreno who was lost on sunday and its hard for me to say that but i blame the captain that had two last seasons marked with a  slip and a 40 second red card.

I was referring to not being harsh on Brendan like other posters have been but you just read it the way you want too!
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #25326: Mar 26, 2015 09:37:28 am
      Why forget nett spend, the press and pundits battered rafa with that stick all the time.

What is the nett spend for Brendan, it does matter.

All clubs go through hunners of players, and always have, only diff. now is the money is stupidly different, the prices are not the managers fault, its just the stupid world we live in due to how much money is in the top leagues now.

Because regardless of his net spend, he has still bought a new squad and has spent a lot of money on players. The books don't look as bad because of the sale of Suarez, but we have still spent a lot of money and brought in a lot of players.

When we struggled in Brendans first season we had the excuse of 'They aren't his players, he needs time to bring his own players in before we judge him'.  Three years later, over 200m spent, we now have a team full of Brendans players.

A few interesting points there HTM: 'the signings Rodgers made' and 'brushed under the carpet', in particular.

You are right (in a round about way); some thing has been brushed under the carpet, time and time again. That is: the remit the committee or Brendan (as you seem to prefer) has been working to.

I don't know why, for sure, anyone could talk about transfers yet ignore (or "brush under the carpet") the fact that transfer policy has been dictated from above. Just as I don't know why anyone could profess loyalty or "love" for Brendan yet ignore what he has been saying he needs.

Company Policy
      "The model here at the football club is clear in terms of the owners want to bring in young players in order to develop and create them into world class players...

... not every player can be a developer."

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-needs-marquee-signing-8378712

Now given that we fans, Brendan and (we're told), the owners, accept that "not every player can be a developer" and, by default, some money is going to be "wasted" - it's a bit unfair (in my opinion) to lay blame at the feet of anyone other than those who dictate policy. Only they can change that.

However, all is not lost: the owners are aware of the situation and hopefully they will change their stance, come June. Fingers crossed; eh?

Its probably rare in todays football that any manager has 100% control over transfers with the amount of scouts, owners and 'transfer committees' poking their noses in. The blame will always lie with the manager though. It might not be fair but its how it is.

I think given a good run that side could finish inside the top four.

I'm not sure Brendan deserves criticism for this considering he is the man who has given these players the time to flourish in our team and if they have 'bailed him out' then surely they were only able to do that by him giving him the opportunity.

A strange post altogether given you begin it by declaring you are a big fan of the manager.

I disagree personally. Mignolet, Manquillo and Lovren aren't good enough for a team with ambitions as high as ours. Joe Allen is a squad player. Can is a rough diamond. Based on their first season I would say neither Markovic or Lallana are good enough either. The bench is poor. In fact, its only Coutinho and Sturridge who our rivals would take from us given the opportunity. The rest of that team, our rivals are stronger in every position.

But why did Brendan give them their opportunity? Because the signings he has made have been poor. Sterling & Ibe over Lallana & Markovic any day.

I am a huge fan of Rodgers and I have belief that we will win the league under him. But Skrtel, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Ibe, Sterling & maybe Flanno are all starters for us. That's seven players none of which Brendan signed. And by my calculations Brendan has signed 24 players. So four of them complete our first 11?

I am a big fan of Rodgers but Im echoing whats already been said a thousand times. Leading up to this summer we need to improve on transfers and sign quality over quantity. I do believe we will win the league under Brendan ive said it many times before on here, but its about time he put his foot down and brought in some top players. I don't want to see another summer of us shopping at Southampton, Swansea or Sunderland.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #25327: Mar 26, 2015 11:39:41 am

Mignolet
       Manquillo       Lovren     Sakho     Moreno

Can         Allen
            Markovic       Coutinho       Lallana
                                Sturridge

Others:  Balotelli, Origi, Borini, Aspas, Alberto, Lambert, Ilori, Toure.

Is the squad above good enough to win the league? Is it even good enough to finish inside the top four?

All things being equal I would say probably no to both questions, but if you factor in Rodgers as the manager, then yes.
      Ie; Mr "Average-Premier-League-Manager" (I think its a dutch name) probably wouldn't, but under Rodgers I would say they have a good shot.
      Pear
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 79 
      • Me, i always tell the truth, even when i lie.
      Reply #25328: Mar 26, 2015 02:22:03 pm
      I was referring to not being harsh on Brendan like other posters have been but you just read it the way you want too!
      Ok.im sorry,but i dont know why are others harsh on BR,there is apsolutely no reason for that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #25329: Mar 26, 2015 03:03:36 pm
      Because regardless of his net spend, he has still bought a new squad and has spent a lot of money on players. The books don't look as bad because of the sale of Suarez, but we have still spent a lot of money and brought in a lot of players.

When we struggled in Brendans first season we had the excuse of 'They aren't his players, he needs time to bring his own players in before we judge him'.  Three years later, over 200m spent, we now have a team full of Brendans players.

Its probably rare in todays football that any manager has 100% control over transfers with the amount of scouts, owners and 'transfer committees' poking their noses in. The blame will always lie with the manager though. It might not be fair but its how it is.

I disagree personally. Mignolet, Manquillo and Lovren aren't good enough for a team with ambitions as high as ours. Joe Allen is a squad player. Can is a rough diamond. Based on their first season I would say neither Markovic or Lallana are good enough either. The bench is poor. In fact, its only Coutinho and Sturridge who our rivals would take from us given the opportunity. The rest of that team, our rivals are stronger in every position.

But why did Brendan give them their opportunity? Because the signings he has made have been poor. Sterling & Ibe over Lallana & Markovic any day.

I am a huge fan of Rodgers and I have belief that we will win the league under him. But Skrtel, Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson, Ibe, Sterling & maybe Flanno are all starters for us. That's seven players none of which Brendan signed. And by my calculations Brendan has signed 24 players. So four of them complete our first 11?

I am a big fan of Rodgers but Im echoing whats already been said a thousand times. Leading up to this summer we need to improve on transfers and sign quality over quantity. I do believe we will win the league under Brendan ive said it many times before on here, but its about time he put his foot down and brought in some top players. I don't want to see another summer of us shopping at Southampton, Swansea or Sunderland.

Don't talk through your F***ing ringpiece.
      When JWH says he won't pay more than what he considers sufficient for a player the manager is under severe constraints from there on in.
      The challenge is for the group you describe as all having an influence on signings to transform a run of the mill signing that JWH insists we acquire, into a Suarez team carrying replacement.
      Think about what you are criticising BR for and ask yourself is he given the resources to achieve what you expect. 
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #25330: Mar 26, 2015 03:27:11 pm
      Don't talk through your f**king ringpiece.
      When JWH says he won't pay more than what he considers sufficient for a player the manager is under severe constraints from there on in.
      The challenge is for the group you describe as all having an influence on signings to transform a run of the mill signing that JWH insists we acquire, into a Suarez team carrying replacement.
      Think about what you are criticising BR for and ask yourself is he given the resources to achieve what you expect.

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #25331: Mar 26, 2015 04:57:39 pm
      The blame will always lie with the manager though. It might not be fair but its how it is.

The 'blame' will lie with the manager therefore no matter if any affecting factors are completely outside of his control.
      Our owners of course are confident their methods are welcomed with open arms and the associated warmth and goodwill - not.
      They are hustled in and out of Anfield every Preston Guild when somebody books an all expenses trip to Liverpool compliments of LFC. 

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25332: Mar 26, 2015 05:31:31 pm
      The blame will always lie with the manager? Only if you're short sighted and looking for a scapegoat instead of looking at the mitigating factors.
      I personally will always look at what went wrong, sometimes it will be Brendans fault, sometimes it will be just a perfect storm of suspensions, injuries, and player mistakes. But you know that's football! sh*t happens!
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25333: Mar 26, 2015 05:54:08 pm
      The blame will always lie with the manager though. It might not be fair but its how it is.
      Well if you know it's not fair: why do you do it?  :dunce2:

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #25334: Mar 26, 2015 08:25:03 pm
      One of the things I really rate about the manager is his ability to use different formations, I mean in his time here we have played numerous but one thing I will question is his willingness at times to alter those tactics until something has gone wrong.

We played 3 at the back last season for a spell and then changed it when we were outplayed at the Emirates..
      We changed from the diamond post a bad run
      We changed from a 4-3-3 when we weren't clicking

In reality all of the above systems are great to have in your armoury, to be able to have a group of players comfortable to switch to one or another either for different games or as an in game change, so for me it's great that he has tried them and has the ability to enforce them.
      One of the reasons for stability in management and not panicking over the odd bad run is that the group of players within the squad are used to what the manager wants and as long as it doesn't becoming untenable for me you should always try to stick through the odd rough patch as you aren't ripping up the blueprint and starting with the process again.
      Ideally a manger can sign players that suit the way he wants to play rather than simply starting again with anew manager who may well not want 50% of the players that he has inherited, and having to go through a season or two remoulding the rest of the squad, bringing in his own players and moving unwanted ones out.

To my original point, we should now be at a stage where this group of players are comfortable in playing any one of the three or four systems, now it's fine in hindsight and all that but it would surely have been a good time last week to switch from the 3-4-2-1 as if there was really any manager in the league that would know how to play against it it would be a manager who has been using the system himself on and off going all the way back to his Ajax days. He spoke in the build up to say how well we have been playing the system, almost baying us to make sure we did it as then he could go into the game safe in th knowledge we would and he could set his game plan up to counter it, which he did, he over loaded us in midfield, pushed out wing backs back and played Felliani in a position where we found it difficult to have a cb pick him up or anyone physical enough to match him.

So why not in the week building up to this game switch to another formation we are comfortable with, fix it before it is broken if you will, and do something that they wouldn't have prepared for? Play the diamond, two up top to get in behind their high line that they played.. Or even set up as 3-4-2-1 for the first 2-3 minutes, lull them in and then do a premeditated switch to the diamond to counter their plans..

Sometimes I think rather then stick with the.. Why change it, it's not broken thought process... Brendan should switch away to something else so we don't become predictable to plan against. He has it in his locker to get the lads playing in any way in my opinion so at times he should change it before it needs changing. I personally wouldn't criticise him for doing so and we lost the odd one..

If you don't have all the money in the world to compete you have to be smarter, Brendan is smart, but as he is still learning at the top level I feel this is still something he has to learn.. Two old canny managers in Van Gaal and Mourinho have probably outsmarted him in two big games last season and this by playing on what could be described as our predictability. Well Brendan has it all in his locker for me not to make us predictable and I'm fully convinced he will as he gets more experienced as a top coach to do just that.

The 3-4-2-1 doesn't create as many chances as you may think it should and certainly makes you more solid at the back.. The Diamond can be used to be a flat track bully.
      Maybe when we are going to places like Arsenal next week and we need to be more solid we should use that.. maybe when we want to just wipe poor teams out we play something more free flowing and f**k it if we conceed 3 but win.

Horses for courses

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25335: Mar 27, 2015 01:59:10 am
      One of the things I really rate about the manager is his ability to use different formations, I mean in his time here we have played numerous but one thing I will question is his willingness at times to alter those tactics until something has gone wrong.

We played 3 at the back last season for a spell and then changed it when we were outplayed at the Emirates..
      We changed from the diamond post a bad run
      We changed from a 4-3-3 when we weren't clicking

In reality all of the above systems are great to have in your armoury, to be able to have a group of players comfortable to switch to one or another either for different games or as an in game change, so for me it's great that he has tried them and has the ability to enforce them.
      One of the reasons for stability in management and not panicking over the odd bad run is that the group of players within the squad are used to what the manager wants and as long as it doesn't becoming untenable for me you should always try to stick through the odd rough patch as you aren't ripping up the blueprint and starting with the process again.
      Ideally a manger can sign players that suit the way he wants to play rather than simply starting again with anew manager who may well not want 50% of the players that he has inherited, and having to go through a season or two remoulding the rest of the squad, bringing in his own players and moving unwanted ones out.

To my original point, we should now be at a stage where this group of players are comfortable in playing any one of the three or four systems, now it's fine in hindsight and all that but it would surely have been a good time last week to switch from the 3-4-2-1 as if there was really any manager in the league that would know how to play against it it would be a manager who has been using the system himself on and off going all the way back to his Ajax days. He spoke in the build up to say how well we have been playing the system, almost baying us to make sure we did it as then he could go into the game safe in th knowledge we would and he could set his game plan up to counter it, which he did, he over loaded us in midfield, pushed out wing backs back and played Felliani in a position where we found it difficult to have a cb pick him up or anyone physical enough to match him.

So why not in the week building up to this game switch to another formation we are comfortable with, fix it before it is broken if you will, and do something that they wouldn't have prepared for? Play the diamond, two up top to get in behind their high line that they played.. Or even set up as 3-4-2-1 for the first 2-3 minutes, lull them in and then do a premeditated switch to the diamond to counter their plans..

Sometimes I think rather then stick with the.. Why change it, it's not broken thought process... Brendan should switch away to something else so we don't become predictable to plan against. He has it in his locker to get the lads playing in any way in my opinion so at times he should change it before it needs changing. I personally wouldn't criticise him for doing so and we lost the odd one..

If you don't have all the money in the world to compete you have to be smarter, Brendan is smart, but as he is still learning at the top level I feel this is still something he has to learn.. Two old canny managers in Van Gaal and Mourinho have probably outsmarted him in two big games last season and this by playing on what could be described as our predictability. Well Brendan has it all in his locker for me not to make us predictable and I'm fully convinced he will as he gets more experienced as a top coach to do just that.

The 3-4-2-1 doesn't create as many chances as you may think it should and certainly makes you more solid at the back.. The Diamond can be used to be a flat track bully.
      Maybe when we are going to places like Arsenal next week and we need to be more solid we should use that.. maybe when we want to just wipe poor teams out we play something more free flowing and f**k it if we conceed 3 but win.

Horses for courses

Talk about having a bob each way on the managers progress,0n the one hand you appear to condemn  him yet on the other hand you praise him.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #25336: Mar 27, 2015 05:15:03 am
      Ok.im sorry,but i dont know why are others harsh on BR,there is apsolutely no reason for that.

That's Ok, I agree.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,050 posts | 6294 
      Reply #25337: Mar 27, 2015 08:11:59 am
      I really see next year once again being a "rebuilding" year.

You have to figure we are going to lose Balo, Borini and Lambert. Gerrard is off, Glenno is off most likely. Sturridge can't be counted on to stay healthy.

So that leaves 6 players that really need to be replaced (backed up) with as good or better players.

I originally thought we wouldn't do much this coming window but can't see how we can't otherwise Brendan is going to have a really tough job and I can see us slipping farther behind.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25338: Mar 27, 2015 08:21:02 am

You have to figure we are going to lose Balo, Borini and Lambert. Gerrard is off, Glenno is off most likely. Sturridge can't be counted on to stay healthy.

So that leaves 6 players that really need to be replaced (backed up) with as good or better players.

I originally thought we wouldn't do much this coming window but can't see how we can't otherwise Brendan is going to have a really tough job and I can see us slipping farther behind.

The way things are going it will certainly be a rebuilding season next season, but the question is how many rebuilding seasons will be tolerated before the supporters start demanding changes be made.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #25339: Mar 27, 2015 08:31:14 am

It will be another interesting summer mate

Personally I'd still like to only see say three more top end types coming in to the basis of a squad we have and supplement the league cup with youth products.

Even with a few leaving I don't think we can afford another rebuild and just need to add a bit of cream to the squad to push us on
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,030 posts | 1973 
      Reply #25340: Mar 27, 2015 09:42:03 am
      The blame will always lie with the manager? Only if you're short sighted and looking for a scapegoat instead of looking at the mitigating factors.
      I personally will always look at what went wrong, sometimes it will be Brendans fault, sometimes it will be just a perfect storm of suspensions, injuries, and player mistakes. But you know that's football! Sh*t happens!

The press, pundits, the owners and the majority of fans will always blame the manager regarding transfers. I agree with you by the way but we are in the minority IMO.

Well if you know it's not fair: why do you do it?  :dunce2:

Because I'm starting to worry that Brendan is a yes man. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, I am a huge fan of Brendan. I was one of few backing him in this thread between September and December when some on here were calling for him to be sacked. But Coutinho and Sturridge aside, his transfers haven't worked for us. In fact, we have spent a lot of money and bought sh*te yet again. Whoevers fault that is becomes irrelevant because Brendan will take the blame regardless which is what I'm saying.

I personally suspect that Brendan wanted Lovren (aged 25) and Lallana (aged 26) which is understandable because both had good seasons last year. He also wanted Joe Allen and Borini who he previously worked with. And I suspect he wanted Mignolet too. So that's 80m right there on average players if we're being honest with ourselves. Its players like Can, Markovic, Moreno who fall into the FSG model.

The majority of our first 11 aren't Brendans signings and that's concerning, do you not agree? He has been here 3 years almost and has spent over 200m.

So this summer he needs to put his foot down and get a grip of things. If he is a yes man then he quickly needs to become a no man and take control of things. If he gets sacked for not licking FSG's arse then so be it because he will end up getting sacked anyway for buying tripe every season and finishing 5th.

I do believe we will win the league under Brendan but our transfers must be right this summer. Its crucial.

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #25341: Mar 27, 2015 10:56:04 am

I have been pondering over whether this is the case.

Certainly I agree there are matches where you can see that the team hasn't got off on the right foot or sometimes a player's form look atrocious. It i stempting on those occassions to call for a change immediately; however it's often the case that the team will go through a twenty or thirty minute spell where they weather the storm before settling into play.

I'm not sure that the data shows that managers who tinker with things immediately have a better sucess rate than those who let thing sride out for a while and wait a reasonable time to see if problems sort themselves out.

On a broader theme he appears to do a similar thing with players. It wasn't that long ago that plenty were calling for Sterling to go out on loan to a club because his play was atrocious. Luckily Brendan stuck with him until he found his form.

It's a difficult balance; the problem is that when you have spent al lweek preparing for a match it might be Ok to competley change things around twenty minutes after kickoff however, if that keeps happening, the manager's authority quickly erodes as the players will conclude he has no idea how to set up teh team properly in the first place.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25342: Mar 27, 2015 12:19:57 pm
      Because I'm starting to worry that Brendan is a yes man. I've said it many times before and I'll say it again, I am a huge fan of Brendan.
      Right, okay, that's fair enough if you're now saying Brendan is to blame - I don't agree with you but I have no problem understanding your PoV.

I was one of few backing him in this thread between September and December when some on here were calling for him to be sacked.
      But now you see some validity in what the "some" were saying. Is that correct?

I guess, if someone like you (who "loves Brendan") can blame him then we can only expect people who don't, to have a field day.

Given everything I've read and understood what has been said re: transfer policy (by not only Brendan but by Stevie and Suarez as well), I still don't get how folk can ignore it but maybe it's me that's being daft and I'm missing something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This genuinely isn't a dig at anyone... more just an observation - I'm always wary of statements that start with; "I love ______* but..."  :-\

* fill in the blanks.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #25343: Mar 27, 2015 12:26:18 pm
      * pork scratchings
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #25344: Mar 27, 2015 12:50:46 pm

but *I'm Jewish.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25345: Mar 27, 2015 12:53:02 pm
      Brendan is human, allow him to make mistakes occasionally.

Quick Reply