Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3046184 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #25346: Mar 27, 2015 01:15:33 pm
      Brendan is human, allow him to make mistakes occasionally.
      What about this (only a thought) - we all [fans & owners] get behind his call for what he needs to take our team to the next level and get him what he wants. That way, if he then fails to deliver, we will all, [people who dislike him; people who don't rate him; people who love him and even people who "love him but..."], know for sure, if he's the right man for the job or not?  :o
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #25347: Mar 27, 2015 01:24:40 pm
      Right, okay, that's fair enough if you're now saying Brendan is to blame - I don't agree with you but I have no problem understanding your PoV.
      But now you see some validity in what the "some" were saying. Is that correct?

I guess, if someone like you (who "loves Brendan") can blame him then we can only expect people who don't, to have a field day.

Given everything I've read and understood what has been said re: transfer policy (by not only Brendan but by Stevie and Suarez as well), I still don't get how folk can ignore it but maybe it's me that's being daft and I'm missing something.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This genuinely isn't a dig at anyone... more just an observation - I'm always wary of statements that start with; "I love ______* but..."  :-\

* fill in the blanks.

I'm not holding Brendan completely responsible for our transfers since he has come in. But are you telling me that Brendan isn't involved in our transfers at all then? Are you telling me that he didn't want Lovren, Lallana, Borini, Allen & Mignolet? Because I rather suspect that he did. We signed Lallana for 25m and Lovren for 20m. Are you telling me those players fit into the FSG model then? That they were FSG signings? Because that doesn't make sense to me. If we were to sell either of them in 2-3 years time we wouldn't earn any profit on them would we? Borini and Allen he previously worked with so he wanted them which Brendan confirmed publically and we needed a new goalie because Pep was off so he chose Mignolet who was flavour of the month.  So I'm saying he is partly to blame yes. I'm also saying that any neutral person will blame him too - the people who aren't connected to LFC and don't know the ins and outs or the politics of the club. Its the same with any club. Managers are held responsible for the transfer dealings - both the players bought and the players sold. Its just how it is. I'm not going to get into a debate with you about FSG and transfer policies, I know Brendans hands are tied to some extent, but I don't believe he is completely innocent either.

Brendan almost won the league last season and from mid December onwards we've had title challenging form this season too. He is doing brilliantly IMO and I hope he stays at the club a long time. So yes I do 'love him' there is no need to be patronising about it. But I mentioned Skrtel, Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Ibe, Sterling and Flanno being key players for us and Brendan hasn't signed any of them. Bearing in mind he has been here 3 years now that is quite alarming.

If Brendan managed Arsenal then they would be unstoppable - a team of great players who aren't managed very well. We currently have a team of average-good players who are managed well.

Our transfers under Brendan have been very poor so far. I count 3 out of 24 as a success - Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho. We didn't break the bank for them or pay them ridiculous wages so we don't need to go out and spend ridiculous amounts like Chelsea or City anyway. Blame FSG all you want but we've spent over 200m since Brendan came in 3 years ago. Maybe Im living in a football managers world, but give me 200m over 3 years and im confident id have better players than the ones we do now!

bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #25348: Mar 27, 2015 02:04:49 pm
      I'm not holding Brendan completely responsible for our transfers since he has come in.
      So you only blame him for some; the bad ones: is that correct? I only want to be clear.

But are you telling me that Brendan isn't involved in our transfers at all then? Are you telling me that he didn't want Lovren, Lallana, Borini, Allen & Mignolet?
      Nah mate... I'm telling you nothing that hasn't already been said. I've never said that and find it strange that you think I have.

What I'm saying is that the transfer model we [Brendan/The Committee] follow is dictated by our owners. It's all there mate. It's well enough 'documented': I can't see how you've missed it but anyway...

Within that remit Brendan will, naturally enough, get his pick but his pick is limited... "you can have any player you want out of these two". If his choice wasn't restricted by policy he would not have made the same choices.

He has made it clear on more than one occasion that the model the owners wish to follow is clear: they want to bring in young players and develop them. Brendan, on the other hand has also made it clear that if we want him to take the team forward then he also needs top quality, ready-made players.

Our transfers under Brendan have been very poor so far.  I count 3 out of 24 as a success - Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho. We didn't break the bank for them or pay them ridiculous wages so we don't need to go out and spend ridiculous amounts like Chelsea or City anyway. Blame FSG all you want but we've spent over 200m since Brendan came in 3 years ago.

Oh dear; where to start?

Right... if our "transfers under Brendan have been very poor so far" then, by default, our transfers under FSG have been poor. Like it or not they dictate the policy; the model. A policy which is clear to all but those who choose to ignore it [I say choose but maybe they just don't understand what has been written] - either way it's clear and it's documented.

If money has been wasted under this model then, ultimately, the people who dictate policy should change it... NO ONE ELSE CAN.

You really can't be that naive mate.

If Brendan managed Arsenal then they would be unstoppable - a team of great players who aren't managed very well. We currently have a team of average-good players who are managed well.
      Er... erm... I don't know what to say.  :-\

What about this: The same players we've got now plus Suarez, Ozil and Sanchez... unstoppable?

We're in danger of going round in circles mate - you can't see what's being said (I'm guessing English may not be your first language) and I can't make it any simpler. Good luck, catch you later.
      HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #25349: Mar 27, 2015 03:31:34 pm
      So you only blame him for some; the bad ones: is that correct? I only want to be clear.

I've said it three or four times already but in my opinion three signings have been what I would call a success under Brendan - Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho. The rest have been bad signings. I'd like to think Brendan wanted all three and brought them in himself but from what you're saying he didn't get much of a choice and FSG/the committee brought them in for him.

Nah mate... I'm telling you nothing that hasn't already been said. I've never said that and find it strange that you think I have.

What I'm saying is that the transfer model we [Brendan/The Committee] follow is dictated by our owners. It's all there mate. It's well enough 'documented': I can't see how you've missed it but anyway...

Within that remit Brendan will, naturally enough, get his pick but his pick is limited... "you can have any player you want out of these two". If his choice wasn't restricted by policy he would not have made the same choices.

He has made it clear on more than one occasion that the model the owners wish to follow is clear: they want to bring in young players and develop them. Brendan, on the other hand has also made it clear that if we want him to take the team forward then he also needs top quality, ready-made players.

So what about Mignolet, Lovren and Lallana then? International players who aren't exactly 18years old with room to develop and sell on value. We paid big money to bring them here did we not? Again, it is my opinion that Brendan wanted all three. Along with Allen and Borini which is also 'well documented'. Not sure how you missed that? But anyway...

What about Balotelli? Ok, maybe Brendan didn't want Mario. But again, he is an established international who isn't exactly 18. We can't develop him much more than what he is at now. FSG still brought him in though.

I agree to some extent that Brendans hands are tied. For example Fabregas was available last summer but we couldn't compete for his signature because we aren't prepare to pay his 200k a week wages or whatever he is on. So we signed Lallana for a similar fee but we pay him a lot less in wages. I know we don't have the spending power like others and I'm sure Brendan would love a Cesc in his team but regardless, 200m spent over 3 years is a lot. Other managers would have brought in better quality for that amount money no matter what the policies were or what we pay them in wages - Rafa certainly would have, do you agree?

It is my opinion that some of the signings we have made under Brendan were done by the club but I have  suspicions about certain other players and presume Brendan wanted them. Like I said, Mignolet, Lovren, Lallana, Borini, Allen - 80m+ on average players all of which I believe Brendan wanted.

Oh dear; where to start?

Right... if our "transfers under Brendan have been very poor so far" then, by default, our transfers under FSG have been poor. Like it or not they dictate the policy; the model. A policy which is clear to all but those who choose to ignore it [I say choose but maybe they just don't understand what has been written] - either way it's clear and it's documented.

If money has been wasted under this model then, ultimately, the people who dictate policy should change it... NO ONE ELSE CAN.

As above I've mentioned players we've signed under FSG who are internationals and in their twenties. We paid big money for them. The likes of Lallana, Lovren, Mignolet and Balotelli in particular don't have much sell on value.

I stand by what I say and that other managers such as Rafa perhaps would see better quality in the market for what we can afford than Brendan.

I don't have a problem with 'the policy'. I have a problem with buying sh*te under the policy. There is still talent out there. Good affordable players who want to play for Liverpool. Look at Coutinho, 8m that lad cost.

200m over three years FSG have spent on transfers so don't pretend they don't back the manager. If they don't want an 35 year old xavi here on 250k a week then that's fine with me. If they give Brendan the task of finding a younger player for 25m who will accept 80k a week then he should be able to find a better quality than what we have now.

You are deluded if you think Brendan has no control over transfers whatsoever and its literally a case of walking into a boardroom and Brendan picking his favourite between 3 players.

Er... erm... I don't know what to say.  :-\

What about this: The same players we've got now plus Suarez, Ozil and Sanchez... unstoppable?

We're in danger of going round in circles mate - you can't see what's being said (I'm guessing English may not be your first language) and I can't make it any simpler. Good luck, catch you later.

Sanchez and Ozil aside, Arsenal have gone years without making big signings too. They had/have similar policies to us. It is my opinion that their squad has a lot more talent than ours. They have better players than us but their manager is past it and we have a brilliant one. If we were to swap managers, we would probably finish mid table and Arsenal would walk the league. We are probably over achieving with the players we have - because we are managed by Brendan.

Point being, I think Brendan is capable of wonderful things. He can manage for sure. But lets just F**k off signing sh*te like Lovren and get a decent signing in for once. There is better quality out there for what we can afford and Brendan must take some responsibility for it.

Not everything in the world is FSG's fault. Although you wouldn't believe it coming on here sometimes.

ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25350: Mar 27, 2015 04:33:26 pm
      What about this (only a thought) - we all [fans & owners] get behind his call for what he needs to take our team to the next level and get him what he wants. That way, if he then fails to deliver, we will all, [people who dislike him; people who don't rate him; people who love him and even people who "love him but..."], know for sure, if he's the right man for the job or not?  :o
      That's just too much sense for a Friday, stop it at once!
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #25351: Mar 27, 2015 06:14:13 pm
      I really see next year once again being a "rebuilding" year.

You have to figure we are going to lose Balo, Borini and Lambert. Gerrard is off, Glenno is off most likely. Sturridge can't be counted on to stay healthy.

So that leaves 6 players that really need to be replaced (backed up) with as good or better players.

I originally thought we wouldn't do much this coming window but can't see how we can't otherwise Brendan is going to have a really tough job and I can see us slipping farther behind.

I don't know FL..to be fair how much has Balo, Borini, Lambert, Johnson contributed this year?

It's not like those players combined to contributed to much of anything anyway, in fact we play better without those players even being on the pitch (that can even be said for some extent with Gerrard)

How does one rebuild something that these players have not built.

Now if we lose Sterling or Hendo than that is a rebuilding issue..but I think Origii and another decent striker would do better than (Balo, Borini, Lambert)

We need one or two starting XI players not a rebuild, at least IMHO.
      « Last Edit: Mar 27, 2015 06:25:23 pm by AZPatriot »
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #25352: Mar 27, 2015 06:49:01 pm
      Brendan is human, allow him to make mistakes occasionally.

He can make as many mistakes as he wants as long as we don't lose. Supporters will accept a manager making the odd mistake but failure to bring success to Anfield is another matter.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25353: Mar 27, 2015 07:42:35 pm
      He can make as many mistakes as he wants as long as we don't lose. Supporters will accept a manager making the odd mistake but failure to bring success to Anfield is another matter.

You can't build a house without bricks Billy, so far he's using straw!
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #25354: Mar 27, 2015 09:32:22 pm

It's something I've realised lately - we need at least a couple of marquee players. I'm perhaps guilty of believing we could coach some players into marquee players, but considering we need to make progress we can't afford to have a squad full of just potential.

The emphasis on coaching players to become stars is fine, but I agree that Liverpool should always have a couple of great great players giving us a good foundation to build upon.

But I heard rumours about us looking at Neil Taylor from Swansea - I'm sorry, we are not getting anywhere near the top four if we are just looking towards that level of players. While our competitors buy instant grat class players, we can not afford to stall more progress by just buying mere potential.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #25355: Mar 28, 2015 12:00:25 am
      It's something I've realised lately - we need at least a couple of marquee players. I'm perhaps guilty of believing we could coach some players into marquee players, but considering we need to make progress we can't afford to have a squad full of just potential.

The emphasis on coaching players to become stars is fine, but I agree that Liverpool should always have a couple of great great players giving us a good foundation to build upon.

But I heard rumours about us looking at Neil Taylor from Swansea - I'm sorry, we are not getting anywhere near the top four if we are just looking towards that level of players. While our competitors buy instant grat class players, we can not afford to stall more progress by just buying mere potential.

I think it's fairly obvious that Brendan agreed to the LFC job on the premise he develops young potential into superstars and no DOF hanging over him, oh and after a period Top 4 will become a expectation.

Over achieving last season may in some ways have put Brendan in a difficult situation.
      Now he is expected to achieve Top 4 every season and coach potential into top talent with a budget he will only experience once in a lifetime compared to his Top 4 competitors spending £200M+ if not more every season.

I still have faith in Rodgers delivering the long lost treasure on a relative shoestring.

Regarding the rumours of Neil Taylor, as good as  Rodger 's  is at coaching he does not have a great eye for a target so thank god for the committee!
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #25356: Mar 28, 2015 12:21:10 am
      l think next season will be his last lf we dont make top 4, has get right players in these summer, l think brendan is good manger, but some players like joe allen adam lallana and few more players, when could spent that money on better players, l hope we get right players in summer, l feeling brendan get james milner and danny ings then he needs be sack
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #25357: Mar 28, 2015 12:36:28 am
       :lmao:  :lmao: u óldways make me láf Ireland  ;D still cant figure you out  :D u two negative mate, cheer up  :)
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #25358: Mar 30, 2015 11:44:04 am
      Alot of useless talking here, in the end it should be like this :

He doesn't gets the UCL spot, he goes, end of.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25359: Mar 30, 2015 12:23:03 pm

And bring in who George?
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25360: Mar 30, 2015 12:25:21 pm
      On the 09.47 Pendolino to Euston this morning was our Brendan.

What's he up to in London then?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #25361: Mar 30, 2015 12:33:46 pm

Was going to say to watch the England v Italy but realised its away.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #25362: Mar 30, 2015 12:40:32 pm

This is the problem with the view point of simply sacking the manager if we don't achieve such and such

It's ok you or me or whoever saying... 'Well I'd bring in ______' as it's the owners who will make that choice not you or me or whoever, and they have set out a clear plan of their vision and blueprint for going forward and that doesn't include a Rafa 'type' if you will..
      So if we sack him we bring in another Brendan Rodgers identikit and start again with a new coach but the same blueprint

So it could be Sean Dyche or Gary Monk.. Another Brendan Rodgers..

So for the sake of ripping up all the things that have been done in the last three years I'm not sure the gamble would be worth it. There have been enough issues to take into account when looking at the last three years that has meant we have had to essentially start the building process each season.. Personally [certainly for the reasoning that I see us not getting anyone better under these owners] we give Brendan at least another season whether we miss CL or not, give him one more summer window to have a stable summer [ie not losing his best player or still be reshaping his squad] to have a fair crack and if we missed out of CL next season [if we do this] then for me at that point we may well have to look again and reevaluate the direction of the club.

It's felt like a long three years but its only been three years and for the sake of the club I love and it's traditions I don't want to turn into a permanent Tottenham, where chopping managers to kick on from 7th to higher ambitions never works.

I think at least one more year to give a good overview of where we are at that point will give a better chance for someone to put to fsg as to if their view is working or the vision of the next coach should have a different angle of looking at

For me the last 4 months has brought him another year to give a good viewpoint and evaluation of a decent period of management of the club

Chopping for a 'Sean Dyche 'won't take us anywhere
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25363: Mar 30, 2015 12:40:59 pm

Maybe we're opening our much heralded shiny new Commercial Office today and he's been invited to the party?
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #25364: Mar 30, 2015 01:03:15 pm

Says the one that's spouting most of it.

Ironic.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25365: Mar 30, 2015 02:41:20 pm
      Maybe we're opening our much heralded shiny new Commercial Office today and he's been invited to the party?

Me mate was on  the train and tried to get a pic as Rodgers was walking past the window to get on and he clocked him doing it so me mate give a little thumbs up and got a nod off Rodgers. F***ing embarrassing. Was with his chick
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #25366: Mar 30, 2015 02:49:23 pm
      Me mate was on  the train and tried to get a pic as Rodgers was walking past the window to get on and he clocked him doing it so me mate give a little thumbs up and got a nod off Rodgers. F***ing embarrassing. Was with his chick

Pleasure not business then mate and yeah I'd be embarrassed too.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #25367: Mar 30, 2015 02:57:31 pm

That's it then

Off to the Lion King then balls deep in the Travel Inn
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #25368: Mar 30, 2015 03:42:23 pm

So if we finish 4th by one point, or on Goal difference, he should stay, but if we miss out by one point or Goal difference he should go?
      Picture this, the final PL game of the season, we have a penalty in injury time, if we score we win the game and quality for the CL. Gerrard steps up....... Oh He's put it wide! On that basis Brendan should now be sacked by your rationale! Is that right George?

Quick Reply