Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3041528 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31441: May 29, 2015 07:32:47 pm
      It's not one bad season though is it? It's one good season in three. With mostly bad signings. He's had a fair crack of the whip IMO. LVG went into Utd in his first season there and has instantly given them CL football back. They've been poor, we all know that, yet BR couldn't take advantage of that fact. Will our opposition be as poor next season? Unlikely you'd think...

I'd be wary of calling them bad signings.
      On the whole, we bought very good players who have had first season syndrome.

What my post was getting at was the fact that so many have turned on the manager so quickly.
      Only a couple of months ago, he was being hailed as a tactical genius for our unbeaten run. It wasn't something that I bought into, but each to their own.
      Some Liverpool fans love to revel in the glory and tradition of the club, but the reality is they are just paying lip service to the values Shanks brought to us, and drop those same vales as soon as it suits them to.
      Some of the personal stuff about BR confirms this.
      There's really no need for it.
      If he goes, he'll go knowing he tried his best but ultimately it wasn't to be, for whatever reason.
      I can respect him for trying his best, and talk about where I see his failings without getting into all the personal sh*te.

I actually voted for him to go, providing we can get a talented replacement, and the reason is something I have spoken about for a long time, which is that his coaching technique leaves his teams unable to cope with midweek games on a regular basis, added to his motivational techniques which don't seem to work as he thinks they do.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31442: May 29, 2015 07:34:07 pm
      LVG went into Utd in his first season there and has instantly given them CL football back. They've been poor

With the most expensive team in the history of the Premier League. Perspective
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31443: May 29, 2015 07:35:16 pm

and even then they only just scraped into 4th.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31444: May 29, 2015 07:35:30 pm

What my post was getting at was the fact that so many have turned on the manager so quickly.
      Only a couple of months ago, he was being hailed as a tactical genius for our unbeaten run. It wasn't something that I bought into, but each to their own.
      Some Liverpool fans love to revel in the glory and tradition of the club, but the reality is they are just paying lip service to the values Shanks brought to us, and drop those same vales as soon as it suits them to.
      If he goes, he'll go knowing he tried his best but ultimately it wasn't to be, for whatever reason.
      I can respect him for trying his best, and talk about where I see his failings without getting into all the personal sh*te.

I actually voted for him to go, providing we can get a talented replacement, and the reason is something I have spoken about for a long time, which is that his coaching technique leaves his teams unable to cope with midweek games on a regular basis, added to his motivational techniques which don't seem to work as he thinks they do.

more FSG propoganda and lack of understanding of LFC why do you always refer to the past without any knowledge of it.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31445: May 29, 2015 07:35:50 pm

And they were still sh*t.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #31446: May 29, 2015 07:39:44 pm

Don't go bringing silly things like facts and logic into this discussion. It makes it harder to allow yourself to be ruled by emotions that way ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31447: May 29, 2015 07:40:42 pm
      more FSG propoganda and lack of understanding of LFC why do you always refer to the past without any knowledge of it.

Lack of understanding of LFC values, says the fella who quotes Shankly then slags off the manager.

Do one fella.
      You think you're some kind of superfan because you live locally, but you're nowt but a F***ing plastic paying lip service to the great man Shanks and trying to use his name to give credibility to your agenda.

You quote Shanks and then come in here gloating when we lose because you think it proves you right?
      The great man would have seen through you in an instant and fu**ed you off immediately.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31448: May 29, 2015 07:40:57 pm
      Fair play mate, get back on the horse straight away and all that, it's always the best way.

Yes I think this thing with "hating" someone is dependent on who is doing it. See with Rafa, I was bang behind him for most of his tenure but when it swung, I immediately said so, explained why etc. I think that's why I'm able to be pretty sensible while discussing him, give him credit where it's due for the job he did with us (some of it was an extraordinary effort lets be honest), to tell the truth about the fact he did well at Chelsea etc. Equally, when things don't go so well (not disasterous at Napoli, absolutely awful at Inter) I don't see the need to put the boot in, to sneer at people who will do their damnedest to paint it in the best light possible. I'd even support him 100% if he came back as manager! something the lads can't even get close to with Brendan.

I think where you went wrong with the current manager was repressing your true feelings for too long, living in a kind of make believe denial world. Of course us playing so well and almost winning the league last season can't have helped, but it was painful to see you and your cohorts grinning through gritted teeth when only Skip was brave enough to actually say what he was thinking.

Now you've all "come out" in a football sense, it's like the excitement of finally admitting the fact that you despise the manager has warped your heads. God only knows how you are all going to carry on if he keeps his job, you'll clearly be hoping we fail so you can get the bovver boots into the manager again.

It's a bit sad really and THAT Luke is what I call hatred, not saying someone did a pretty good job rather than a splendiferously unbelievable one.

Hahaha you talk some sh*te Mick, both with regards the current manager and Rafa.

I don't despise him at all, I just think there's better candidates and Brendan isn't good enough.

If you look back at my history I always said it was the transfers and him sorting the defence that had me worried. I even called for him to be given full power over the transfers this summer gone so we knew exactly where the problem lay. He got plenty of the players he actually wanted and we failed miserably in every single competition apart from the league cup which I'd say was a decent effort. Even then I was sticking by him and said against the Mancs the first time that I could see us turning a corner calling that we could well go on a run. Then we managed 6 away clean sheets on the row and I thought for a second that he had finally fixed one of the remaining deficiencies he'd shown in his coaching. Unfortunately long after it became obvious that we'd be found out he still kept playing the same system, still kept playing Can at RB and after the games against Arsenal, Man U and then the Semi's he finally lost me, even more so when I saw we had the chance of some real top quality managers.

So you're completely wrong about me despising or hating the man, I simply think he's not good enough.

As for hoping he fails that's the most pathetic thing I've seen in a while, nobody would hope he fails if he remains manager next season and it would give me great pleasure in admitting I was if he could bring us some success. I will say that I believe he will be our manager and we'll again fail to do well in any cup competition and fail to get top 4.

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31449: May 29, 2015 07:41:48 pm

Their keeper was by miles their best player. Says it all really. He is leaving, which can't be bad - but would expect them to spend big again and plug some weaknessess - but am sure FSG will be getting their checkbook out too ...  :gunhappyyank:
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31450: May 29, 2015 07:44:20 pm
      Their keeper was by miles their best player. Says it all really. He is leaving, which can't be bad - but would expect them to spend big again and plug some weaknessess - but am sure FSG will be getting their checkbook out too ...  :gunhappyyank:

Valdes is a competent replacement, but De Gea is absolute world class and right up there with Courtois as the 2 best keepers I've seen for a while.

The fact that we have kept hold of Jones for so long kind of annoys me.
      The fact that we have a number 2 as our number one also annoys, and concerns me.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #31451: May 29, 2015 07:44:22 pm

I'm talking all his signings since day 1, not just last seasons signings. So yes, they're mostly bad signings with a smattering of good players and one exceptional one.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #31452: May 29, 2015 07:45:35 pm
      I'm talking all his signings since day 1, not just last seasons signings. So yes, they're mostly bad signings with a smattering of good players and one exceptional one.

I've got to go out now, but I'd like to pick this up again, list the players and see just how far apart we are in our assessment.
      If that's OK with you of course.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31453: May 29, 2015 07:46:31 pm

There most expensive players Di Maria, Shaw, Falcao contributed nothing in fact it was the likes of Fellaini, Ashley Young and Carrick who were the main stars. So money didnt do much for them.

Why is every one so obsessed by bloody money, sign of the times I suppose.................
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31454: May 29, 2015 07:47:03 pm
      Valdes is a competent replacement, but De Gea is absolute world class and right up there with Courtois as the 2 best keepers I've seen for a while.

The fact that we have kept hold of Jones for so long kind of annoys me.
      The fact that we have a number 2 as our number one also annoys, and concerns me.

Reckon De Gea was the busier of the two, as the defense in front of him was a lot shakier than the Chavs back line. But Courtoius makes it look real easy too.
      Personally I'd like to improve on Mignolet, but can't see that happen for next season, as other areas need more urgent upgrade imo.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,519 posts | 713 
      Reply #31455: May 29, 2015 07:47:51 pm
      There most expensive players Di Maria, Shaw, Falcao contributed nothing in fact it was the likes of Fellaini, Ashley Young and Carrick who were the main stars. So money didnt do much for them.

Why is every one so obsessed by bloody money, sign of the times I suppose.................

a common sense reply like this is not welcome around here ;D
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #31456: May 29, 2015 07:51:06 pm

Doesn't matter if they scraped it, or were the most expensive assembled team. LVG hit his target for the first season and we lay down and let them take it. That is down to Brendan NOT being able to get his men up for the fight, whether down to poor signings, or poor match day selection, or tactics our whatever other factors come into it. Utd were dogshit all season and they still stopped us consolidating a CL place. Three seasons of no success at all is not acceptable for a club that is by its own measure, massive...

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #31457: May 29, 2015 07:54:07 pm
      I've got to go out now, but I'd like to pick this up again, list the players and see just how far apart we are in our assessment.
      If that's OK with you of course.

I can't be arsed. I'm sure someone else will mention poor signings on Brendan's part if they can be bothered. If you can't see it, well there's no point in name dropping...

bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31458: May 29, 2015 07:54:50 pm

Well you mentioned Fellaini who was 29mill.   Mata who got 2 against us, 37mill.  Herrara scored a few from the middle, 27mill.  etc

With our 'windfall' from Luis, our big chance to buy in quality players, our biggest spend was 25mill on Lallana.  All BRs fault ...
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #31459: May 29, 2015 07:58:13 pm

You know you've cited 3 players bought for a combined £66M, right?

Man Utd only had one season outside the top 4 in decades. 7th was a one-off, so it is hardly surprising they jumped right back in - particularly after making massive investiment. I see you've forgotten to mention Herrera & Blind. Di Maria had twice as many assists as Coutinho by the way.

I'm not obsessed with money, I just realize the fact that it plays a big part in the game.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      Reply #31460: May 29, 2015 07:59:33 pm

He calls a run of three months with no loss in a season of nine months "genius". So we had one good third and two sh*te thirds. Brilliant stuff. You couldn't make it up if you tried...

bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #31461: May 29, 2015 08:03:13 pm
      Does that actually exist or are you making it up .?

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #31462: May 29, 2015 08:07:39 pm
      Well you mentioned Fellaini who was 29mill.   Mata who got 2 against us, 37mill.  Herrara scored a few from the middle, 27mill.  etc

With our 'windfall' from Luis, our big chance to buy in quality players, our biggest spend was 25mill on Lallana.  All BRs fault ...

Read this...

This, and I'm sure there are other examples that shows you don't need to spend insane amount of money and wages to compete. Money wasn't the problem for us last summer, we just bought the wrong players and our tactics were all over the place, so yes, I blame Rodgers and the committee.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,503 posts | 1647 
      • YNWA
      Reply #31463: May 29, 2015 08:21:28 pm
      Money wasn't the problem for us last summer

I think money WAS a problem for us last summer, and will be a problem THIS summer too unless FSGs outlook changes.

Quick Reply