Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3045097 times
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31464: May 29, 2015 08:31:31 pm
      Lots of strange logic on here, point out last year without Europe and a weakened Premiership ( Fergie gone, Chelsea new manager and Pelligrini being well...an average manager ) plus having a world class player at the top of his form, was a missed opportunity, and we suddenly devalue the manager.  Well if he is such a fantastic manager than explain why if it wasn't down to Suarez, then after £100m of investment we have absolutely derailed? This is not my criticism, this is fuc£ing Brendan's, "after spending £100m they should be challenging for the title"

Last year everything fell into place, I said right at the beginning it was an opportunity season which we weren't going to see for a while, it might sound harsh, but it was a failure, look at it this way we needed 7 points from our last 3 games, with Chelsea at home and nothing to play for, a dismal draw would have sufficed. This year I expected no more than top four after Mourinhos bedding in season and MU pulling their socks up, and I loved the drama and excitement of a genuine challenge last year, but you don't win a title by shipping 50 goals. Luis was the catalyst and driver behind our season, his ability alone amplified those around, if it wasn't the case then why are they so mediocre this year? That said I'm firmly of the belief a top class manager would have got more out of our sqaud this year, after the exuberance of the previous season.

It's hard to admit once you've declared allegiances, but nothing points to him being a top manager, we can conflate the issue by pointing at FSG, but they've invested a good amount of money, maybe not Chelsea/City/MU money, but certainly enough for them and us to demand a little more from our team. I said from the start, and nothing has changed my mind, at best he was too green for us or at worst just not good enough and the results, the bullshitting, the lack of tactics and general drivel are pointing towards him being a snake oil salesman rather than a quality manager. 

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 09:36:41 pm by Redtrader »
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,968 posts | 3052 
      Reply #31465: May 29, 2015 08:37:25 pm
      Valdes is a competent replacement, but De Gea is absolute world class and right up there with Courtois as the 2 best keepers I've seen for a while.

The fact that we have kept hold of Jones for so long kind of annoys me.
      The fact that we have a number 2 as our number one also annoys, and concerns me.

I agree with this. Brad Jones is a nice fella and truth be told when he replaced Migs it was like for like.

That doesn't elevate Jones - it just puts perspective on our strength between the sticks.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2015 08:54:15 pm by Scotia »
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31466: May 29, 2015 08:49:31 pm
      Lots of strange logic on here, point out that last year, without Europe and a weakened Premiership ( Fergie gone, Chelsea new manager and Pelligrini being well...an average manager ) plus having a world class player at the top of his form, was a missed opportunity, and we suddenly devalue the manager.  Well if he is such a fantastic manager than explain why if it wasn't down to Suarez, then after £100m of investment we have absolutely derailed?

Luis is a f**king world class gem of a player, but it wasn't all down to him. Why do people always forget about Sturridge? I don't get it. How quickly we forget it was Sturridge who scored three-straight match winners to start the season to give us 9 for 9 while was on a biting ban. And that's not even taking into account how consistent Henderson was (he wasn't this year despite better returns), how good Gerrard was, etc.

Not having SAS and having Balotelli, an unwanted Borini, and a never-meant-to-be-more-than-third-choice Lambert will kill any team. Suarez scored 31 league goals, Sturridge 21. That's 52 league goals taken out of a team that scored 101 goals in the league.

This year we scored 52 goals, or if you want to subtract Sturridge's total, 48 goals. Not terribly shabby for a team that basically played striker-less the whole season.

Do you not think things would have been different with Sanchez? With Remy? If we sign either of those, we never sign Balotelli, Borini probably recognizes he won't play, etc. The striker issue killed us and killed our season, and it wasn't rectified in the January window when it should've been, which is not down to the manager.
      Redtrader
      • Forum Igor Biscan

• 124 posts | 29 
      Reply #31467: May 29, 2015 09:03:38 pm
      Luis is a f**king world class gem of a player, but it wasn't all down to him.

Do you not think things would have been different with Sanchez? With Remy? If we sign either of those, we never sign Balotelli, Borini probably recognizes he won't play, etc. The striker issue killed us and killed our season, and it wasn't rectified in the January window when it should've been, which is not down to the manager.
      I've never said it was all down to Luis, if it was then by that logic we'd have zero points this year. My point was he was the difference between mediocrity and a title challenge, and yes Sturridge and everyone else played their part through the season, but I still stand by the catalyst and driver being Luis, and your own admission that he is 'world class' bears that out.

Things would obviously have been different with different players, and that's my point regarding Brendan, as I believe even with this sqaud a better manager would have done better than the way he embarrassed us in Europe and in league games this year, Stoke for some reason springs to mind.

We spent £100m in the summer, his admission is that he failed by his own qoutes on Spurs. I don't buy the convenient spin that BR doesn't have a say in transfers and if anyone believes this to be the case then you are admitting he is a weak manager who has no clout or credibility and either way should not be at the helm.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #31468: May 29, 2015 09:32:59 pm
      Listen boys and girls. Rodgers is gone. And rightly so. Klopp is gona be LFC manager next season, i am 100% convinced. Klopp is tailor made for our club and this is the only thing keeping me happy right now. Forget Rodgers , because he is a busted flush. Lets move on.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31469: May 29, 2015 09:35:42 pm
      Listen boys and girls. Rodgers is gone. And rightly so. Klopp is gona be LFC manager next season, i am 100% convinced. Klopp is tailor made for our club and this is the only thing keeping me happy right now. Forget Rodgers , because he is a busted flush. Lets move on.

I hope your right mate I really do but dont underestimate those clowns in boston
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #31470: May 29, 2015 09:35:51 pm
      I've never said it was all down to Luis, if it was then by that logic we'd have zero points this year. My point was he was the difference between mediocrity and a title challenge, and yes Sturridge and everyone else played their part through the season, but I still stand by the catalyst and driver being Luis, and your own admission that he is 'world class' bears that out.

Things would obviously have been different with different players, and that's my point regarding Brendan, as I believe even with this sqaud a better manager would have done better than the way he embarrassed us in Europe and in league games this year, Stoke for some reason springs to mind.

We spent £100m in the summer, his admission is that he failed by his own qoutes on Spurs. I don't buy the convenient spin that BR doesn't have a say in transfers and if anyone believes this to be the case then you are admitting he is a weak manager who has no clout or credibility and either way should not be at the helm.

We also haven't played with Sturridge either. So if Suarez (but really Suarez AND Sturridge) was the difference between mediocrity and a title challenge in what you called a weaker league (it wasn't IMO), then what's the difference between a fit Sturridge and not having him this season? Surely the difference between 6th and 4th. Everyone knows when you sell a player like Suarez you'll struggle, so finishing 4th or 3rd would not have been cause for concern even with the full squad we had on deadline day.

The No. 1 reason we were in the Champions League this season was down to SAS last season. We had neither of them for any of those games. Instead we were stuck with a Mario Balotelli who couldn't be bothered to actually run against Real Madrid at Anfield.

The £100m thing is nonsense, first from Brendan and then from others to constantly use it. We spent £117m last summer -- but we recouped £88m of that, much the way Spurs got a sh*t ton of money from Bale. So how much is really spent?

Of course Brendan has a say on transfers, but you can't act like he's the only one with a say or that's Caesar. Or that system in place doesn't have a huge impact on who comes to the club when we miss out on some of our top targets like Willian, Salah, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, etc.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31471: May 29, 2015 09:39:13 pm
      Reckon De Gea was the busier of the two, as the defense in front of him was a lot shakier than the Chavs back line. But Courtoius makes it look real easy too.
      Personally I'd like to improve on Mignolet, but can't see that happen for next season, as other areas need more urgent upgrade imo.

Doesn't matter if they scraped it, or were the most expensive assembled team. LVG hit his target for the first season and we lay down and let them take it. That is down to Brendan NOT being able to get his men up for the fight, whether down to poor signings, or poor match day selection, or tactics our whatever other factors come into it. Utd were dogshit all season and they still stopped us consolidating a CL place. Three seasons of no success at all is not acceptable for a club that is by its own measure, massive...

Does that actually exist or are you making it up .?

Read this...

This, and I'm sure there are other examples that shows you don't need to spend insane amount of money and wages to compete. Money wasn't the problem for us last summer, we just bought the wrong players and our tactics were all over the place, so yes, I blame Rodgers and the committee.

I agree with this. Brad Jones is a nice fella and truth be told when he replaced Migs it was like for like.

That doesn't elevate Jones - it just puts perspective on our strength between the sticks.

Gentlemen.

It would appear that you are all talking amongst yourselves.

Hes gone out.   ;D
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #31472: May 29, 2015 09:40:38 pm
      I think money WAS a problem for us last summer, and will be a problem THIS summer too unless FSGs outlook changes.

In what way was it a problem, was 120m not enough? Don't you think tactically, Rodgers got it all wrong for the majority of the season and part of the reason why we failed, or was it simply FSG's fault for not funding world class players?

You look at 13/14 season and take Suarez out of the equation, how do you think we'd fair then? Because with the amount we conceded, I don't think we'd have got top 4. Lets face it, Rodgers isn't as tactically astute as some make him out to be.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31473: May 29, 2015 09:40:54 pm
      We also haven't played with Sturridge either. So if Suarez (but really Suarez AND Sturridge) was the difference between mediocrity and a title challenge in what you called a weaker league (it wasn't IMO), then what's the difference between a fit Sturridge and not having him this season? Surely the difference between 6th and 4th. Everyone knows when you sell a player like Suarez you'll struggle, so finishing 4th or 3rd would not have been cause for concern even with the full squad we had on deadline day.

The No. 1 reason we were in the Champions League this season was down to SAS last season. We had neither of them for any of those games. Instead we were stuck with a Mario Balotelli who couldn't be bothered to actually run against Real Madrid at Anfield.

The £100m thing is nonsense, first from Brendan and then from others to constantly use it. We spent £117m last summer -- but we recouped £88m of that, much the way Spurs got a sh*t ton of money from Bale. So how much is really spent?

Of course Brendan has a say on transfers, but you can't act like he's the only one with a say or that's Caesar. Or that system in place doesn't have a huge impact on who comes to the club. We've missed out on the likes of Willian, Salah, Mkhitaryan, Sanchez, etc.

the whole business is now shrouded in mystery thanks to FSG. Last season we had our Messi,Neymar and Luis in Luis ,Sturridge and Gerrard and Couthino and Sterling for that matter. Now we have none of them and we dont know how Sturridge will recover.Replacing Luis ,Sturridge and Gerrard will cost over £200million. How depressing is that and now we go back to Southampton having let them royally screw uslast season. Smart businessmen my arse
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #31474: May 29, 2015 09:43:12 pm
      I hope your right mate I really do but dont underestimate those clowns in boston
      Like i've said before. My brothers mate works at Anfield, and he has told us everyone there knows that Rodgers is gone and Klopp is in. And amen to that. Seriously ? Why would any fan want this novice managing our club?
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #31475: May 29, 2015 09:51:06 pm
      the whole business is now shrouded in mystery thanks to FSG. Last season we had our Messi,Neymar and Luis in Luis ,Sturridge and Gerrard and Couthino and Sterling for that matter. Now we have none of them and we dont know how Sturridge will recover.Replacing Luis ,Sturridge and Gerrard will cost over £200million. How depressing is that and now we go back to Southampton having let them royally screw uslast season. Smart businessmen my arse

I think that's really a big part of the whole problem. We simply do not know many things for sure.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #31476: May 29, 2015 09:51:40 pm
      Gentlemen.

It would appear that you are all talking amongst yourselves.

Hes gone out.   ;D
      He's nipped around to his accountant mate for guidance .

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31477: May 29, 2015 09:52:30 pm
      Like i've said before. My brothers mate works at Anfield, and he has told us everyone there knows that Rodgers is gone and Klopp is in. And amen to that. Seriously ? Why would any fan want this novice managing our club?

Have you seen some of the posts on here.SOme of us who have said all along he was the wrong man faced a torrent of abuse for suggesting he wasn't the man we needed. Its rewarding to see that not only on here but throughout the other forums Polls are around 80/20 for him to go.
      i read a thread on another forum which suggested he was all but sacked in November but dont underestimate FSG's ability to do what they want todo for their own benefit

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #31478: May 29, 2015 09:58:45 pm

My Wife's work mate's mum has a friend who's friends with this guy who works at the local pub, he knows this customer who is friends with the local drunk that goes into the cafe every morning to buy coffee, he chats to the worker who happens to have a family member that works in Boston Subway store and sees John Henry twice a week in which she overheard him on the phone talking about signing Pjanic.... must be legit!!!
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31479: May 29, 2015 10:01:44 pm
      My Wife's work mate's mum has a friend who's friends with this guy who works at the local pub, he knows this customer who is friends with the local drunk that goes into the cafe every morning to buy coffee, he chats to the worker who happens to have a family member that works in Boston Subway store and sees John Henry twice a week in which she overheard him on the phone talking about signing Pjanic.... must be legit!!!

So are you saying he is wrong and that Klopp is not going to be our next manager?
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #31480: May 29, 2015 10:04:14 pm

Sounds pretty concrete to me.

As for journalists (;D) who work for the metro and red tops this is exclusive territory.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,174 posts | 4908 
      Reply #31481: May 29, 2015 10:05:49 pm
      So are you saying he is wrong and that Klopp is not going to be our next manager?

I'm sure he's saying that littleface knows as much as you or I on the matter.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #31482: May 29, 2015 10:05:54 pm

Nothing against Littleface, but I do not know him in rl, so I don't believe him :p
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #31483: May 29, 2015 10:07:54 pm
      You know you've cited 3 players bought for a combined £66M, right?

Man Utd only had one season outside the top 4 in decades. 7th was a one-off, so it is hardly surprising they jumped right back in - particularly after making massive investiment. I see you've forgotten to mention Herrera & Blind. Di Maria had twice as many assists as Coutinho by the way.

I'm not obsessed with money, I just realize the fact that it plays a big part in the game.

The point was the players I mentioned irrespective of how much Utd overpayed for them are not better than any of our players in similar positions.
      So they have either played above their ability or more likely our similar players have under performed or not played for the manager. And it's probably something in between those two reasons.

So in effect because we as a team under performed we handed them Top 4 because their superstars certainly under performed.

As I hinted in my previous post its nothing to do with superstar players propelling Utd into the Top 4, having superstar players seems to be an obsession on this forum rather than looking at the manager and the players performance this season.

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31484: May 29, 2015 10:08:35 pm
      I'm sure he's saying that littleface knows as much as you or I on the matter.

I know F**k all mate and as each day goes by I know even less
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,174 posts | 4908 
      Reply #31485: May 29, 2015 10:10:39 pm
      I know F**k all mate and as each day goes by I know even less

Oh I know. ;)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139