Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3031796 times
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #31510: May 30, 2015 10:19:53 am
      Wherever you sit ultimately (stay / go) on this debate - and I have moved to the "Go" side with the caveat that changing manager is only a downstream part of what really needs to change - it is clear amongst (all of the partisan angst) that the thinking of the "stay" vote has moved to "what's the point in changing the manager" or "deserves another go" rather than any fierce conviction that BR is the answer.

Partially agree - as stated above - but it really does speak to how our expectations have been dampened under this lot.

Ultimately the clincher for me is that whatever the platitudes players troll out - they've not been playing for BR since mid March.......I don't believe a manager can come back from that.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #31511: May 30, 2015 10:29:48 am
      The level of incompetence both in their choice and conduct in the transfer market is unbelievable.
      The miscalculations they have made in offering new players contracts is staggering .
      Rogers team selection is poor , his tactical acumen none existent and his man management skills laughable. He seems unable to judge players ability ,   thoughts  at the beginning of last season letting Ibe go out on loan was stupid , the sale of Shelvey was a mistake. The fact that a player can suddenly appear in the team having not even been present on the bench for several weeks shows how totally illogical and out of his depth Brendan Rogers has become. We should move on now get Klopp if not we will be forced into it midway thru the season and have wasted further time

That is a good first post, well done.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #31512: May 30, 2015 10:32:30 am
      The level of incompetence both in their choice and conduct in the transfer market is unbelievable.
      The miscalculations they have made in offering new players contracts is staggering .
      Rogers team selection is poor , his tactical acumen none existent and his man management skills laughable. He seems unable to judge players ability ,   thoughts  at the beginning of last season letting Ibe go out on loan was stupid , the sale of Shelvey was a mistake. The fact that a player can suddenly appear in the team having not even been present on the bench for several weeks shows how totally illogical and out of his depth Brendan Rogers has become. We should move on now get Klopp if not we will be forced into it midway thru the season and have wasted further time

Your criticism of the manager is to a point invalidated by the damnation of the transfer com.
      How can a tradesman be expected to acquit himself to the best of his ability with equipment supplied by a group of individuals with assorted agendas and various ideas on how the job should be approached.
      The selection and reasons for the appointment of the TC are questionable to say the least, the group provide an extremely tenuous link to the manager, the squad and performance levels; that link is pivotal to the fortunes or otherwise of LFC.

TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #31513: May 30, 2015 10:37:50 am
      Voted stay but could have voted go.

Fact is I just don't trust the owners to recruit a better manager and give him what's needed to succeed. Odds are too high if they fire him we just end with an even less proven yes man (at best one + a more proven DoF).

The more I think about club situation the more I don't see big name managers like Ancelotti, Simeone or Klopp being interested by the job under current constraints, and while I think there are a few other options around that would probably be better than Brendan (say people like Frank De Boer or Luis Garcia) I don't trust FSG to have identified them.

As I fear the choice is between unproven manager X not having LFC experience and keeping a manager at least knowing the club well and having lead it in one of the most successful league season in recent history, I find more logical to chose the second option.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #31514: May 30, 2015 10:59:17 am
      Really do not understand the logic of the majority vote above calling for BR's head on a plate.
      Who the hell are FSG going to appoint in his place?
      Does their 5years of (mis)management inspire confidence in their judgement and/or motives?

If FSG do fire BR which is highly unlikely, the consequences are dire.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #31515: May 30, 2015 11:57:38 am
      Have you seen some of the posts on here.SOme of us who have said all along he was the wrong man faced a torrent of abuse for suggesting he wasn't the man we needed.

Good for you Walt. I really do love the 'I told you so, I was right' type of post.

I'm not sure those were abused for thinking he was the 'wrong man' but more for the way they went about putting into words that he was that 'wrong man'.

Some of the glee on here about being 'right' almost wants me to change my mind and give Brendan my full backing.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #31516: May 30, 2015 12:05:54 pm

This always. What has been quoted time and again? No one person is bigger than the club...

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31517: May 30, 2015 12:11:43 pm
      Please lay off the sauce Walton, you really do make a job out of looking like a fool.

you seem to make some very strange posts these days are the Meds not working anymore.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #31518: May 30, 2015 12:21:13 pm
      Really do not understand the logic of the majority vote above calling for BR's head on a plate.
      Who the hell are FSG going to appoint in his place?
      Does their 5years of (mis)management inspire confidence in their judgement and/or motives?

If FSG do fire BR which is highly unlikely, the consequences are dire.

Too many poor performances mate, and a fanbase as disgruntled as any prior to the sacking of a manager makes me feel it's too much for him to turn around. I think it would be better for him to go now. Although of course, I'll support him if he remains in situ - no toys will be thrown out the pram here.

Who are they going to replace him with?

F**k knows.

Given our transfer recruiting for players, we could end up with Mike Bassett - oh well, at least it will bring the fanbase 'together' for 10 mins as the door hits Brendan's arse on the way out.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #31519: May 30, 2015 12:21:27 pm
      Sad to see it stoop to this level, newcastlesque. Bit cunty really. He was the man 12 months ago nearly ended the drought then lost arguably the 3rd best player in the world and his other top striker out majority of the season. Would Chelsea have won it had Hazard left and Costa missed most of the season? Would City be up there without Aguero? They struggled without toure and Kompany for spells.

Yes even considering all that it was a disaster of a season but whose to say he won't get it right next season or whose to say a new man might struggle next season while reshaping things?

Rafa likely gone to Madrid, Ancelloti taking time out or possibly going to AC so only Klopp as an option but is he a sure fire thing?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #31520: May 30, 2015 12:24:22 pm
      Good for you Walt. I really do love the 'I told you so, I was right' type of post.

I'm not sure those were abused for thinking he was the 'wrong man' but more for the way they went about putting into words that he was that 'wrong man'.

Some of the glee on here about being 'right' almost wants me to change my mind and give Brendan my full backing.

It isn't a question of being a smart arse but as events unfold it does highlight where the true cause of the dilemma lies, BR like the transfer com. are merely distractions from the real culprits.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #31521: May 30, 2015 12:33:05 pm
      It isn't a question of being a smart arse but every development highlights where the true cause of the dilemma lies, BR like the transfer com. are merely distractions from the real culprits.

Nah Stuey a few on here seem more concerned about being 'right all along' than actually concerning themselves with what went wrong this season.

I'm not happy I've changed my mind on the manager because it means we as a club have had a poor enough season for me to have those thoughts. I'd much rather be sitting here waiting on Brendan leading us out at Wembley after finishing 3rd or 4th than going through endless debates about what has went wrong this season.

Some want him out no matter what and have managed to find their keyboards just in time to join in with sticking the boot in.

As I said it's almost enough to make me change my mind and support the boss 100% again.

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #31522: May 30, 2015 01:34:14 pm

I know what you mean. I actually wavered after the Stoke debacle on the grounds that it would be impossible for Brendan to ever win over the fans again (obviously notwithstanding that for some he could do the quadruple and not win them over). What swung me back was seeing some of those fans falling over themselves to stick the boot into the boss, completely disrespecting not just him but the institution which is OUR football club, all of our football club. Then you get the "I was right all along" nonsense even though we almost won the league last year (predicted that did they?) and the silliness whereby last season was all down to Suarez and not the boss, this time it's nothing to do with Suarez not being there and all down to the boss.

I've had enough of being dictated to by "the lads", had enough of being told I'm not a real fan when I've followed the team up hill and down dale for 30 odd years. I've had enough of it, but I can't control what other people do, only what I do myself. I'm backing the manager, because that's what I feel like doing. The more they slag him, the more I back him.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #31523: May 30, 2015 01:45:27 pm
      Nah Stuey a few on here seem more concerned about being 'right all along' than actually concerning themselves with what went wrong this season.

No
      What it means is that a couple of people have an opinion .... have the courage of their conviction to post it ......  suffer a veritable sh*t storm of abuse for months on end because of it and for going against the tide.

What no one seems to understand is that there is no right or wrong.

Its all about the club. Liverpool Football Club.
      Which yes some of us have supported for half a century  and it deeply pains us to see us where we are .
      If nothing changes you can include ...where we are going... in that.

OK Now ?

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31524: May 30, 2015 02:01:34 pm
      Sad to see it stoop to this level, newcastlesque. Bit cunty really. He was the man 12 months ago nearly ended the drought then lost arguably the 3rd best player in the world and his other top striker out majority of the season. Would Chelsea have won it had Hazard left and Costa missed most of the season? Would City be up there without Aguero? They struggled without toure and Kompany for spells.

I've been making a similar point as well. 52 goals from last season were taken out of the team this season by selling Suarez and Sturridge's injuries. Every team will struggle with losing their two best players and the two guys who were the focal point of everything. Worse, we completely failed to prepare for losing them. Once Sanchez said no and a cardiologist gave his doubts over Remy's heart, we were fu**ed. Brendan has his fair share of fault in that, but so does the rest of the club.

I will always maintain that if Sturridge had been fit this season or if we had bought a better/more mobile striker than Balotelli, we'd have finished in a Champions League place.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #31525: May 30, 2015 02:44:04 pm
      I've been making a similar point as well. 52 goals from last season were taken out of the team this season by selling Suarez and Sturridge's injuries. Every team will struggle with losing their two best players and the two guys who were the focal point of everything. Worse, we completely failed to prepare for losing them. Once Sanchez said no and a cardiologist gave his doubts over Remy's heart, we were fu**ed. Brendan has his fair share of fault in that, but so does the rest of the club.

I will always maintain that if Sturridge had been fit this season or if we had bought a better/more mobile striker than Balotelli, we'd have finished in a Champions League place.

And I believe our squad of players were good enough to get 4th, even 3rd, with or without Sturridge. Quality of strikers weren't the real problem, it was way deeper than that.. the whole setup was wrong throughout the majority of the season.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31526: May 30, 2015 02:44:57 pm
      I know what you mean. I actually wavered after the Stoke debacle on the grounds that it would be impossible for Brendan to ever win over the fans again (obviously notwithstanding that for some he could do the quadruple and not win them over). What swung me back was seeing some of those fans falling over themselves to stick the boot into the boss, completely disrespecting not just him but the institution which is OUR football club, all of our football club. Then you get the "I was right all along" nonsense even though we almost won the league last year (predicted that did they?) and the silliness whereby last season was all down to Suarez and not the boss, this time it's nothing to do with Suarez not being there and all down to the boss.

I've had enough of being dictated to by "the lads", had enough of being told I'm not a real fan when I've followed the team up hill and down dale for 30 odd years. I've had enough of it, but I can't control what other people do, only what I do myself. I'm backing the manager, because that's what I feel like doing. The more they slag him, the more I back him.

You and I have differed in opinions on occasions, but I feel we've been fairly respectful with each other, though some sarcasm may have occurred, at times.  And you're right, the vitriol and disrespect has influenced opinion for some, the bitterness from some is almost a shade of blue from across Stanley Park.  It's not all though, some are reasoned and reasonable, but their is a vocal minority that could teach the Westboro Baptist Church a thing or two about hate.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,961 posts | 3943 
      Reply #31527: May 30, 2015 02:58:01 pm
      You and I have differed in opinions on occasions, but I feel we've been fairly respectful with each other, though some sarcasm may have occurred, at times.  And you're right, the vitriol and disrespect has influenced opinion for some, the bitterness from some is almost a shade of blue from across Stanley Park.  It's not all thought, some are reasoned and reasonable, but their is a vocal minority that could teach the Westboro Baptist Church a thing or two about hate.

It is a very contentious subject due in no small part to some taking the view that any opinion but their own is a snipe at their perceived integrity.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #31528: May 30, 2015 03:11:48 pm
      It is a very contentious subject due in no small part to some taking the view that any opinion but their own is a snipe at their perceived integrity.

Yes Stuey, it's amazing how upset, how far off topic or what weird things people will post if you oppose their POV.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #31529: May 30, 2015 03:13:33 pm
      And I believe our squad of players were good enough to get 4th, even 3rd, with or without Sturridge. Quality of strikers weren't the real problem, it was way deeper than that.. the whole setup was wrong throughout the majority of the season.

I disagree. I don't think it was good enough without Sturridge. It doesn't matter how good Coutinho or Lallana or Sterling are if they don't have anyone to finish the chances they create -- and if I'm not mistaken, we created more chances than both Spurs and United. The key difference, though, is they had goalscorers. Kane and Rooney, obviously, but even van Persie scored more league goals than our strikers combined.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,300 posts | 3869 
      Reply #31530: May 30, 2015 03:18:47 pm
      I disagree. I don't think it was good enough without Sturridge. It doesn't matter how good Coutinho or Lallana or Sterling are if they don't have anyone to finish the chances they create -- and if I'm not mistaken, we created more chances than both Spurs and United. The key difference, though, is they had goalscorers. Kane and Rooney, obviously, but even van Persie scored more league goals than our strikers combined.

This ^^^^
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #31531: May 30, 2015 03:24:48 pm
      No
      What it means is that a couple of people have an opinion .... have the courage of their conviction to post it ......  suffer a veritable sh*t storm of abuse for months on end because of it and for going against the tide.

What no one seems to understand is that there is no right or wrong.

Its all about the club. Liverpool Football Club.
      Which yes some of us have supported for half a century  and it deeply pains us to see us where we are .
      If nothing changes you can include ...where we are going... in that.

OK Now ?
      "I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it." ~ Voltaire
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #31532: May 30, 2015 03:26:51 pm
      Got to agree Stuey. Unfortunately it's the world of football nowadays and while it didn't work out this season for obvious reasons, Brendan has already proven that if he has the players he can challenge for the title.

With a talented squad with world class players, he could CHALLENGE for the title, but not win it, as has been proven already. The current manager simply cannot comprehend what a defensive unit is all about. Hence why we leaked over 50 goals the previous season. Any team worthy a shot at the league title needs a rock solid defence. I have no confidence whatsoever that BR is the man to add much needed balance to the team.

Quick Reply