Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3044584 times
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,729 posts | 6708 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34316: Aug 31, 2015 10:37:44 pm
      I can only speak for myself and not others who were willing to give him a chance, it's the manner of the defeat that is my issue. It's not the first time and it's the kind of defeat we have seen all too often over the past season which irks me.

It starts with a tactic of playing people out of position - two attacking midfielders playing on the wing - and in a formation that has never suited us. Firmino was bought as a second striker, someone to play off the front man and add goals to the team but 3 games in and he's shafted to the right. I can tell you now, while he is capable of playing there, he very clearly was a central player at Hoffenheim.

And Coutinho is an even more incalculable scenario. He has proven to be our main attacking outlet, everyone on the pitch is looking to give him the ball, and Rodgers plays him on the left and limits his impact. Not only that, he puts a right footed fullback behind him just to completely negate the whole left wing. He has to be played central but Rodgers insists with his 4-3-3 and isolating the striker up top and putting square pegs in round holes on the flanks.

If he wanted wingers, he should of bought them. But he's played his hand in trying Ibe and Lallana there showing them to be his first choice and it took 45 minutes of football to show it wasn't working against Stoke and it's continued ever since.

Which leads to the biggest issue. Christian Benteke. I was worried about his signing and nothing has shown me to think otherwise despite Benteke grafting his balls off trying to make it work. The lad looks good, his aerial ability is excellent and his footwork is surprisingly good. But he can't get behind the line with his lack of pace (despite not being slow) and without any support from a midfield that is completely not working he can't use his strengths because he's all alone in the box the vast majority of the time.

It's the exact issue we had last season and it's rearing its head again. Isolated striker, awful errors in defence and a midfield that is passing for the sake of passing without any cutting edge.

And even after signing Benteke - we are still the team with the fewest crosses in the league. Unfathomable.

He's on to his 4th different squad of players in his fourth season and he still doesn't know how to fit everyone in and get a team working all over the pitch. How many chances does he need?

Great post mate and agree with everything you say.

Just want to add one more thing that irks me with Brendan. You see most, if not all the top teams getting their players to bust a gut to get into the box. Sometimes they have 4 or 5 players in there when the ball comes in. Every time we get the ball, no one busts a lung to get in there and if you watch players closely, they run to outside the box then F***ing stop. Does my F***ing head in, it's like they're trained to be more concerned about protecting the threat of a counter attack then actually putting the ball in the back of the net and scoring!!
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34317: Aug 31, 2015 10:41:24 pm
      Even those who are happy to stick by Brendan cannot believe we can do much this season. just on performance alone this season it is not looking too hopeful and if you take away hope whats left. We have slipped from  top 4 and feared CL team to Europa league qualifiers hoping to get into the knockout stages when did mediocrity creep into the very fabric of the club. If FSG are such astute Business men how have they spunked close to £300 million on very average players.

It's pretty bad Walton....too many glaring things are happening that are so obvious even to a relative novice as myself.

stubbornly sticking with Lovren
      No help whatsoever for Benteke up front
      running everything through the middle of the park but nobody making runs in behind.
      playing Gomez (and I think he is great!) in like his 3rd choice position.

Its almost like he is trying to impose an idea that simply is not/has not worked.

I was all for keeping him and I support him but Jeez enough is starting to be enough, our players are good enough not to get rolled at home by WHU or trounced at Stoke...we seem to have no backbone once we go down and just crumble.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34318: Aug 31, 2015 10:50:13 pm
      This thread is embarrassing.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34319: Aug 31, 2015 11:01:42 pm

Why,

From the last time we played WHU in the 2014/2015 season to today we have played over 900 minutes of football and have scored 7 goals today..we are scoring 1 goal approximately 128 minutes. In that same time the club has coincided 15 goals or one goal every 60 minutes.

This is not a good trend...we basically have an entirely new attack force and yet the trend is continuing.

« Last Edit: Aug 31, 2015 11:14:25 pm by AZPatriot »
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,264 posts | 6366 
      Reply #34320: Aug 31, 2015 11:20:22 pm

Not quite as embarrassing as some of our performances.

Those of us that thought Brendan should be given a chance knew this was coming....first sign of trouble and the knives come out.

There's no loyalty, no support and no patience in football, that is for sure. In fact when I originally started following "soccer", I was amazed at how quickly clubs would turn aside a manager, sometimes twice in the same season. It was a bit baffling. You get that in American sports to an extent, but it seems like owners of football clubs in England (and elsewhere in Europe) have no problem bringing in a new manager at the drop of a hat. It does make a person wonder how any continuity is supposed to be developed.

Although Brendan has had 3 seasons and at this point you would ideally like to see some tangible progress.

But we are still only a couple points off 2nd place right? So surely things aren't confirmed all bad yet.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34321: Aug 31, 2015 11:21:46 pm

Why's that mate?

Surely the site is for discussing the club? For the most part I don't see any disrespectful posts, just fairly well composed posts with concerns from reds about the manager who is now in his forth season

A lot sharing concerns have given him their full backing in his time but are worried about where we are

No point sitting on your hands.. I think most come here to talk to fellow reds about the club and I know they'd rather come here Nd discuss constant success but that's not where we are
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34322: Aug 31, 2015 11:28:46 pm
      Not quite as embarrassing as some of our performances.

Those of us that thought Brendan should be given a chance knew this was coming....first sign of trouble and the knives come out.

There's no loyalty, no support and no patience in football, that is for sure. In fact when I originally started following "soccer", I was amazed at how quickly clubs would turn aside a manager, sometimes twice in the same season. It was a bit baffling. You get that in American sports to an extent, but it seems like owners of football clubs in England (and elsewhere in Europe) have no problem bringing in a new manager at the drop of a hat. It does make a person wonder how any continuity is supposed to be developed.

Although Brendan has had 3 seasons and at this point you would ideally like to see some tangible progress.

But we are still only a couple points off 2nd place right? So surely things aren't confirmed all bad yet.
      I'm sure you're as impatient as I am and chose your words wisely, when I said it's embarrassing, it's because how the hell am I going to add to this nonsense, it's like us all going down the plughole.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34323: Aug 31, 2015 11:31:59 pm
      Why's that mate?

Surely the site is for discussing the club? For the most part I don't see any disrespectful posts, just fairly well composed posts with concerns from reds about the manager who is now in his forth season

A lot sharing concerns have given him their full backing in his time but are worried about where we are

No point sitting on your hands.. I think most come here to talk to fellow reds about the club and I know they'd rather come here Nd discuss constant success but that's not where we are

I won't disagree, I just feel a bit embarrassed for the manager and the club.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34324: Aug 31, 2015 11:34:51 pm
      It's pretty bad Walton....too many glaring things are happening that are so obvious even to a relative novice as myself.

stubbornly sticking with Lovren
      No help whatsoever for Benteke up front
      running everything through the middle of the park but nobody making runs in behind.
      playing Gomez (and I think he is great!) in like his 3rd choice position.

Its almost like he is trying to impose an idea that simply is not/has not worked.

I was all for keeping him and I support him but Jeez enough is starting to be enough, our players are good enough not to get rolled at home by WHU or trounced at Stoke...we seem to have no backbone once we go down and just crumble.

every team can be defeated even when they play well but to get beaten in a manner which really does look like capitulation is not what this club should be about.
      they (FSG) have taken the mantra of the "Liverpool Way" in which we did things quietly but effectively and changed it to completely ignore the fans and stick to the business plan.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34325: Aug 31, 2015 11:36:02 pm

its Brendan and FSG who should be embarrassed not the fans.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34326: Aug 31, 2015 11:38:22 pm

I am one of the biggest advocates for BR on this forum...I don't feel sorry or embarrassed for him; he has been here for a while now and though the players names change yearly I don't see us as any better off then before.

He gets paid big money for results and to move this team forward; 2nd place in the league over the past 3 years is not exactly something to jump up and down about.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #34327: Aug 31, 2015 11:41:13 pm
      Whilst the value of their invesmtent stays intact Brendan will be safe from FSG.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34328: Aug 31, 2015 11:42:05 pm
      I am one of the biggest advocates for BR on this forum...I don't feel sorry or embarrassed for him; he has been here for a while now and though the players names change yearly I don't see us as any better off then before.

He gets paid big money for results and to move this team forward; 2nd place in the league over the past 3 years is not exactly something to jump up and down about.

Do we really know how this season is going to go by what we've seen though? Or is it a case of we should know by now and we're all fooling ourselves.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34329: Aug 31, 2015 11:43:31 pm
      Whilst the value of their invesmtent stays intact Brendan will be safe from FSG.

Thing is Walton..even with FSG's limited investment we should not be getting rolled by Stoke & WHU...nor should we be struggling scoring goals agains Bournemouth
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34330: Aug 31, 2015 11:46:32 pm
      Do we really know how this season is going to go by what we've seen though? Or is it a case of we should know by now and we're all fooling ourselves.

Look through last season and look through this season so far....two things in common.

Stupid mistakes that put us behind early and we can't overcome/ Can't score goals.

Does not seem to matter the players playing its the same thing..at least to my eyes.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34331: Aug 31, 2015 11:49:34 pm

Well so far we have scraped two 1-0 wins and a draw, in our first 1-0 win we were lucky Stoke didn't take their chances, the second 1-0 win and our draw we would have been a goal down had it not been for their goals being harshly ruled out, showing no signs of being lethal in front of goal and been utterly humiliated by West Ham. Not great. We are lucky to have 7 points.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #34332: Aug 31, 2015 11:54:02 pm

The problem is he's not unique in that is he? Neither Hodge nor Kenny got us any further forward in their time. We've hardly been a roaring success since Rafa's penultimate season and that was six years ago. Like I've said before, our problems are not one dimensional and cannot solely be attributed to Brendan Rodgers. In fact the biggest problem we face is from our wage bill failing to match the increased league competition we face. Compared to those we're competing for a top four place with, the gap has widened between what we spend and they spend on wages over the last decade. We've tried changing managers three times and it simply hasn't worked so while I'm not adverse to the idea of changing managers for a fourth time at the end of the season should this season prove to be another failure, simply doing so without increased investment and structural overhaul will not solve our problems.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #34333: Aug 31, 2015 11:56:34 pm
      Neither Hodge nor Kenny got us any further forward in their time.

Domestically, no. But Kenny got us a trophy and an FA Cup Final.
      AZPatriot

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #34334: Aug 31, 2015 11:57:48 pm
      The problem is he's not unique in that is he? Neither Hodge nor Kenny got us any further forward in their time. We've hardly been a roaring success since Rafa's penultimate season and that was six years ago. Like I've said before, our problems are not one dimensional and cannot solely be attributed to Brendan Rodgers. In fact the biggest problem we face is from our wage bill failing to match the increased league competition we face. Compared to those we're competing for a top four place with, the gap has widened between what we spend and they spend on wages over the last decade. We've tried changing managers three times and it simply hasn't worked so while I'm not adverse to the idea of changing managers for a fourth time at the end of the season should this season prove to be another failure, simply doing so without increased investment and structural overhaul will not solve our problems.

Like I said earlier despite all that is needed..we should not be getting rolled by Stoke or WHU; nor should we be averaging 1 goal every 130 minutes...FSG and the structure may not be helping but we damn well should be better than that.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34335: Sep 01, 2015 12:10:12 am
      Sorry if I don't respond individually^
      Lets see how we go, I'm as concerned as anyone here, when I said embarrassing I didn't mean it's not allowed to say the truth as you see it. To me it just adds extra sh*t on top of the last game.
      Too soon my kin, we have to see how this goes, I will be as, or worse than this if it comes to it, too early though.
      If only they showed this patience in Kenny. that's the benchmark of the owners.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #34336: Sep 01, 2015 12:14:29 am
      If only they showed this patience in Kenny. that's the benchmark of the owners.

To be honest, that's a good point. The season they decided to give Kenny the boot we won a trophy and got to another final. More than what Rodgers has achieved with a much smaller spending spree.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34337: Sep 01, 2015 12:17:28 am
      The problem is he's not unique in that is he? Neither Hodge nor Kenny got us any further forward in their time.

Hodgson got half a season, Kenny got one season as manager (6 months as caretaker manager).... hardly the same opportunity for success as Brendan has had?

fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #34338: Sep 01, 2015 12:35:29 am
      To be honest, that's a good point. The season they decided to give Kenny the boot we won a trophy and got to another final. More than what Rodgers has achieved with a much smaller spending spree.

Kenny took no sh*t in the post match interviews, maybe they never liked that? Because they're all about the brand, is it as straightforward as that?  I don't know or expect anyone to have an exact answer, it was an odd time for the club, maybe a sign of things to come, don't upset the owners or don't stand up in the meeting room. which I'm sure kenny did.

Quick Reply