Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3032083 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers - Liverpool FC Manager
      Reply #34592: Sep 04, 2015 08:39:09 pm
      If anybody thinks we dont spend money, unfortunately looking at the squad you do wonder where has all that money gone!

Analysis from the football observatory

Europe’s Top 10 most expensive squads (in millions):

1. Real Madrid - €587 million

2. Manchester City - €560m

3. Manchester  United - €533m

4. Paris St Germain - €525m

5. Chelsea - €407m

6. Barcelona - €394m

7. Liverpool - €344m

8. Bayern Munich - €337m

9. Arsenal - €305m

10. Juventus - €301m

Spending money has never been our issue. We as a club are just too F***ing stupid to do it correctly and end up blowing loads on sh*t.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,455 posts | 1478 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #34593: Sep 04, 2015 08:58:50 pm
      All starts with the scouting system
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #34594: Sep 04, 2015 09:57:55 pm
      That made me smile mate.

I know what you mean though the image of the floodgates opening a little amuses me..........bit like being "ever so slightly pregnant".........

We capitulate regularly. It's worrying.

;D
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34595: Sep 04, 2015 10:09:37 pm
      All starts with the scouting system

I think we need a plan as well mate, rather than just buying the flavor of the month, decide on how and where the team needs strengthening and then actually buying a player that does strengthen us there, rather than buying a player who usually plays in a different position but perhaps could play there as well. Instead of trying to fit square pegs into round holes then being surprised when they don't fit, maybe try buying players that fit with the way we intend them to play.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #34596: Sep 04, 2015 10:29:07 pm
      His first six months can almost be forgiven - any manager needs time to settle at a new club.  The second half of his first season we saw some signs of good football and it was promising.

His second season was truly remarkable. We almost won the league playing champagne football. I refuse to believe that we were a one man team in Suarez. He obviously helped, but football is a team game. In particular, Gerrard, Sturridge, Sterling, Coutinho, Flanno  all had superb seasons as well.

His third season was a disaster. Embarrassed in Europe. Finishing 6th. Getting dicked by sh*te like Stoke 6-1. Simply not good enough. As frustrated as I was, I gave BR the benefit of the doubt though. He lost his star man Suarez. Sturridge was injured all season. Gerrard noticeably lost his legs.  It was rumoured some of our transfers weren't 'Brendan signings' - Balotelli. A lot of new players needed time to bed into the team & gel with our other players.

I've always said this season will be the one where I will judge him properly. I've always stated I think BR is a top manager based on what I saw in his second season. I was glad FSG backed him this season. So should we succeed then great, obviously. Should we fail then its time up Brendan I'm afraid.

What has annoyed me this summer though is bearing in mind how much we struggled to attack teams last season playing with the one striker, what does Brendan go and do? Spend big money on Benteke and start the season playing him alone upfront.

Agree with pretty much all of this.

Bringing out the busted record, but imo goals were the biggest problem last season. We've now moved on the 3 amigos, but if I'd the guts of 60mill would I have bought Benteke and Firmino? - probably not.
      Firmino is an expensive punt - risky for a manager for which this season is so important - I hope he works out, I really do, but not seeing enough from him at the moment. But let's see.
      And Benteke - at the time wondered how he'd slot into the teams play... but looking at how we've started playing this season, BR's changed things up a bit in order to suit him. I'm a bit disappointed, one of the things I liked most about BR was the style of football we played. I didn't blame the style of play for the poor show last season, moreso the stuffed animals we had trying to score. Defense needed improving too, but the goal drought took the biscuit.
      Ings and Origi, have said all along, not sure they are top4 material, but again will see. At least we have new options.

We've improved the personnel in defense, FBs are deffo better. But up front - how could they be worse than last year?!?! I'm not as pessimistic as most, we have different options, BR needs to find a balance, and Studge could be back soon.  In loosing SG and Sterling, we've lost goals. So we need the new guys not just to make up for that gap, but well exceed it if we are to improve on last year. I'd have done more to try keep Sterling, but he was intent on burning his bridges. Unfortunately Ibe is not nearly as effective. SG was a big personality to loose, as well as his goals/assists.
      I'm not sure we have enough of the x-factor in midfield anymore - a lot of solid enough players, but too often now looking to Cou to make something happen.

But it's early days in the season, we've same pts as Utd and Arse, am not throwing the toys out just yet. BR deffo needs to change things a bit as we're not creating enough chances, and though patience/time isn't really on his side, still think if we can get the guys up front scoring, we can kick on. If they continue the current scoring rate, could be a tough Xmas/new year.   The game against Utd will be very interesting ...
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #34597: Sep 04, 2015 11:12:48 pm
      Just got this from Corbs twitter account:

Brendan Rodgers: "We've got two full-backs, in Jose Enrique & Glen Johnson, who are arguably the best in the league."

Yeah, keep telling them Brendan it's getting rather comical now.

I'd absolutely love Claude Littner to have been there grilling Brendan at the end of last season asking him why he 'thinks' he deserves it. It would have been gruesome to see him and his dossier torn to shreds.

Snake oil salesman as a friend once said, a fitting description.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4877 
      Reply #34598: Sep 05, 2015 12:00:59 am
      That made me smile mate.

I know what you mean though the image of the floodgates opening a little amuses me..........bit like being "ever so slightly pregnant".........

We capitulate regularly. It's worrying.

I see that sentence is a little silly but you get the drift mate. ;D

I did something on this late last season, it's so true.  IIRC, we concede once, more than a 50% chance we'll concede a 2nd. 50% plus chance of a 3rd and so on.

Now that you mention it I do recall you talking about this Rodders.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #34599: Sep 05, 2015 02:26:58 am

From what I have read about him from players that have left, he does seem to tell a lot of porkies, I don't think I would trust him much personally.   

David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #34600: Sep 05, 2015 06:50:35 am
      Do not know if he is trying to kid himself or the fans, but certainly not very successful as far as the fans are concerned.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #34601: Sep 05, 2015 08:12:17 am
      I see that sentence is a little silly but you get the drift mate. ;D

Now that you mention it I do recall you talking about this Rodders.

Wasn't challenging it mate - was more that I thought you were being awfully polite......our fragility worries me greatly.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #34602: Sep 05, 2015 09:37:15 am
      I'm almost certain that Brendan will play 2 up top when Sturridge is fit. I don't know why, but he doesn't seem confident enough to play Ings or Origi with Benteke.  ???

If he's pinning his hopes on Sturridge staying fit for the rest of the season, (like I am) he's taking a risk.
      Mind you, it Sturridge had been fit for all of last season, we'd be in the Champions League, and Brendan's job wouldn't be hanging by a thread.
      littleface
      • Needs a Klopp hug or slap or both
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,283 posts | 253 
      Reply #34603: Sep 05, 2015 06:55:33 pm
      I was in the swimming baths the other day when , i really , really needed to attend to a call of nature. I was absolutely bursting so decided to have a sneaky piss in the deep end. But the f***in lifeguard saw  me , and blew his whistle so f***in loud , i nearly fell in!!

Sorry for going off topic, bored, international break and all that. Continue.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34604: Sep 05, 2015 06:59:05 pm
      You are gross
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #34605: Sep 05, 2015 07:12:55 pm
      I must admit, my own view he should have gone, after the Stoke defeat last May. Really felt he lost the players and more importantly the supporters confidence.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #34606: Sep 06, 2015 12:46:23 am
      If anybody thinks we dont spend money, unfortunately looking at the squad you do wonder where has all that money gone!

Analysis from the football observatory

Europe’s Top 10 most expensive squads (in millions):

1. Real Madrid - €587 million

2. Manchester City - €560m

3. Manchester  United - €533m

4. Paris St Germain - €525m

5. Chelsea - €407m

6. Barcelona - €394m

7. Liverpool - €344m

8. Bayern Munich - €337m

9. Arsenal - €305m

10. Juventus - €301m

How can Barca pay as much as they did for Neymar and Suarez along with the likes of Rakitic, Turan etc and have a squad value that only puts them 6th?!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #34607: Sep 06, 2015 03:43:50 am
      How can Barca pay as much as they did for Neymar and Suarez along with the likes of Rakitic, Turan etc and have a squad value that only puts them 6th?!

It's not squad value, it's money spent. If it were value, they'd be first or second with Madrid the opposite IMO.

And it's that low because other than the players you listed and a couple others, they really haven't paid for many of their valuable players due to their academy. Messi, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Pique, and pretty much their whole bench and etc.

What amazes me the most out of that list to be honest is how Chelsea are only 60m more expensive a squad than we are and they've got a ton of talented experienced "stars" in that squad. Granted wage bill is probably at least double ours, but still, the spend isn't far off.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #34608: Sep 07, 2015 01:18:19 pm
      Anyone else noticing the drip, drip effect going on?

As in, Klopp's in the paper a lot of late.

That is all.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #34609: Sep 07, 2015 01:22:21 pm
      Anyone else noticing the drip, drip effect going on?

As in, Klopp's in the paper a lot of late.

That is all.

Strange the Echo ran a story I saw this morning that Klopp had made comments about what type of club he wanted to take over next

Struck me as odd that in was in there
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #34610: Sep 07, 2015 01:42:12 pm
      Along with Rodgers being 6-1 and 2nd most likely to be sacked next the Klopp story is interesting - I still think it will be until Christmas so he has time...

What is more worrying is the daily erosion of his support, once the rot sets in then there will be trouble. 
      LFCexiled
      Reply #34611: Sep 07, 2015 05:27:20 pm
      Strange the Echo ran a story I saw this morning that Klopp had made comments about what type of club he wanted to take over next

Struck me as odd that in was in there

That's what I mean mate, he's had three different articles over the weekend,   none of them had an LFC tangent and were in the echo and the mirror. I know it's the international break but there's plenty to write about/make up without writing about a manager who has no bearing in this country. One could be forgiven for thinking that someone at the club has been whispering in someones ear.

Full on drip, drip effect for me like.

Having said that, it could all just be journalistic mischief, fuckers.
      « Last Edit: Sep 07, 2015 06:02:16 pm by LFCexiled »
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34612: Sep 07, 2015 05:33:07 pm
      May as well be first to say it then......

Welcome to Anfield Jürgen  :f_tongueincheek:

YNWA
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #34613: Sep 07, 2015 05:51:01 pm
      Along with Rodgers being 6-1 and 2nd most likely to be sacked next the Klopp story is interesting - I still think it will be until Christmas so he has time...

What is more worrying is the daily erosion of his support, once the rot sets in then there will be trouble. 

Have to agree
      The end of the last season was as low as we all could feel and most fans I believe wanted Rodgers gone
      The summer staff and player additions bought some respite and a little positivity.
      The first 3 games looked like the tide maybe turning
      Now, after the west ham defeat and the manner with which we lost has taken me back to that depressed and hopeless stand point.
      Rodgers is on very very thin ice now in terms of backing from the fans in my opinion.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,821 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #34614: Sep 07, 2015 06:09:52 pm
      Have to agree
      The end of the last season was as low as we all could feel and most fans I believe wanted Rodgers gone
      The summer staff and player additions bought some respite and a little positivity.
      The first 3 games looked like the tide maybe turning
      Now, after the west ham defeat and the manner with which we lost has taken me back to that depressed and hopeless stand point.
      Rodgers is on very very thin ice now in terms of backing from the fans in my opinion.

"if you should go skating on the thin ice of modern life,
      Dragging behind you a silent reproach of a million tear stained eyes,
      Don't be surprised when a crack in the ice
      Appears under your feet, you slip out of your depth and out of your mind, with your fear flowing out behind you as you claw the thin ice."

Brendan likes to go skating I hear!!

YNWA

Quick Reply