Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3046898 times
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38709: Nov 27, 2016 07:41:07 pm
      Nothing wrong with a bit of old fashioned class.

Class is one thing but why wasn't it always the case when he was our boss?

I defended him a lot on here but the thread isn't nearly 1300 pages because it's full of class towards him.

I hope he does do well. I've never said anything otherwise.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38710: Nov 27, 2016 08:13:13 pm

The Thought Police Are Out .
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #38711: Nov 27, 2016 09:06:13 pm
      Class is one thing but why wasn't it always the case when he was our boss?

I defended him a lot on here but the thread isn't nearly 1300 pages because it's full of class towards him.

I hope he does do well. I've never said anything otherwise.

Because it became obvious he wasn't going to succeed here and unsurprisingly  once evrybody realised that things turned ugly. Doesn't mean we have to hold a grudge, hammer him every time he loses, it just meant it was time to move on.

Don't mind having a little dig at him myself if i'm honest. Don't mind all the flip the triangle stuff, it's quite funny. But theres some on here who are like a dog with a bone. Yourself not included.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38712: Dec 04, 2016 10:42:59 pm
      I was talking with two Glaswegian lads today, big Celtic supporters. They absolutely love him to pieces, totally buy into his thought process which according to them is all about getting Scottish teams to play in a more modernist way, less of the tearing around like lunatics and letting the ball do the work. Apparently he's doing it right through all the academies at Celtic and everyone is buying into it big time, good luck to him and them.

I was going to ask them about his teeth, his car, flipping the triangle, his bird and all that but I never got around to it. They didn't strike me as the sort of fellas who'd be interested in all that stuff.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38713: Dec 05, 2016 06:15:41 am
      I was going to ask them about his teeth, his car, flipping the triangle, his bird and all that but I never got around to it. They didn't strike me as the sort of fellas who'd be interested in all that stuff.

:lmao:

What, you mean they weren't F***ing idiots!
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #38714: Dec 05, 2016 01:21:55 pm

It was sarcasm mate, you heard of it?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38715: Dec 07, 2016 03:01:47 am
      Fair play to Celtic . I watched the game tonight (as I'd backed Man City) and although they were completely outgunned by what was effectively a second string outfit from Man City, they stuck to it and did well. Clearly Brendan is flipping the triangle to fairly decent effect, and there aren't many English teams other than City who would have got out of the group they were in, in the top two. Well done to him and them, at least they had a good go.     
      « Last Edit: Dec 07, 2016 09:14:21 am by bigmick »
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #38716: Dec 07, 2016 05:52:53 pm
      Brendan Rodgers today announced that post the CL  Celtic " were setting the standard for the future ".
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38717: Dec 07, 2016 08:01:27 pm
      Brendan Rodgers today announced that post the CL  Celtic " were setting the standard for the future ".
      With that standard mate I have no doubt he will be next in line for the Barca or Madrid gig.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38718: Dec 07, 2016 08:05:56 pm
      With that standard mate I have no doubt he will be next in line for the Barca or Madrid gig.

Yeah he meant Celtic's standards as opposed to world football. You should work for the tabloid scum papers over here if you're perceptions are that way off.

But anyhow - ;D FLIP THE TRIANGLE. ;D
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38719: Dec 07, 2016 08:23:56 pm
      Yeah he meant Celtic's standards as opposed to world football. You should work for the tabloid scum papers over here if you're perceptions are that way off.

But anyhow - ;D FLIP THE TRIANGLE. ;D

*inserts image of Brendan gesturing the flip with his fingers, wide eyed and all*
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38720: Dec 08, 2016 01:14:27 am
      Even the Celtic youth team were flipping the triangle against City too ;D. They got done in the end 3-2, but it's fairly clear to their fans and anyone else who is bothered (rules me out but it's a nice story) that there is a bit of transformation taking place. Brendans triangle flipping is transforming the club, that and the buy of Dembele for a packet of peanuts anyway.

Good on the bloke, nice to see somebody making the most of the chances they've been given. 
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #38721: Dec 08, 2016 09:47:00 am
      Played 6, drawn 3, lost 3, scored 5, conceeded 16.

Shots fired!
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,295 posts | 764 
      Reply #38722: Dec 08, 2016 10:18:20 am
      Without appearing to be too disrespectful to Brendan, any clown could manage Celtic, given the opposition they face each week, apart from Rangers. Anyhow good luck to the bloke.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #38723: Dec 08, 2016 11:45:26 am
      Played 6, drawn 3, lost 3, scored 5, conceeded 16.

Shots fired!

Apparently that kind of form warrants terms such as transformation, also congratulation and in his own words "setting the standard for the future".

Comical.

Also contradictory how all of a sudden the results are less important than the style of play and of course coming stone last without a win was the expectation.

Crack on lads, see you next year after the CL and see what standards he's then held to. Who knows he might be expected to even get a win, or should I have a little more patience? :lmao:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38724: Dec 08, 2016 12:55:05 pm
      I went out with an old friend to watch the Celtic match two nights ago. Was the first time I'd seen him since Rodgers was appointed. As mick noted with similar interactions with the Bhoys the joy expressed at his management has been unlike anything since O'Neil took them to Seville in that epic 2003 UEFA Cup Final. More importantly they are loving the football on show. They want to be entertained and entertainment is what they are getting. Anything less than utter domination is not good enough but Celtic fans are finally getting that. For sure they didn't win a match in the CL this season but you start to realise that those folk on here who laugh at them for doing so when facing Barca, City and BM will look for anything to sledge the guy.

The snipers who cannot resist firing cheap shots at Brendan is not befitting of the Liverpool support, only showing up their embarrassing lack of knowledge and respect for one of Britain's class football clubs.

Has he transformed Celtic? Yes he has. Are the performances put in during the two matches against City the type of performance we should expect from Celtic in Europe in the future? If they want to compete seriously - for sure. It's that style or it's the style that replicates the small club they were with two banks of defence with 10 per cent of possession style of play.

Comical? No - just ignorance on your part along with a heavy dose of childish baiting.
      « Last Edit: Dec 08, 2016 01:52:22 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38725: Dec 08, 2016 11:14:45 pm
      I went out with an old friend to watch the Celtic match two nights ago. Was the first time I'd seen him since Rodgers was appointed. As mick noted with similar interactions with the Bhoys the joy expressed at his management has been unlike anything since O'Neil took them to Seville in that epic 2003 UEFA Cup Final. More importantly they are loving the football on show. They want to be entertained and entertainment is what they are getting. Anything less than utter domination is not good enough but Celtic fans are finally getting that. For sure they didn't win a match in the CL this season but you start to realise that those folk on here who laugh at them for doing so when facing Barca, City and BM will look for anything to sledge the guy.

The snipers who cannot resist firing cheap shots at Brendan is not befitting of the Liverpool support, only showing up their embarrassing lack of knowledge and respect for one of Britain's class football clubs.

Has he transformed Celtic? Yes he has. Are the performances put in during the two matches against City the type of performance we should expect from Celtic in Europe in the future? If they want to compete seriously - for sure. It's that style or it's the style that replicates the small club they were with two banks of defence with 10 per cent of possession style of play.

Comical? No - just ignorance on your part along with a heavy dose of childish baiting.

So true. One or two posters allowing their triangles to get flipped, but the simple fact of the matter is you need to listen to the Celtic fans. My guess is they're well aware of any superiority their financial muscle affords them compared to other Scottish teams, and equally as aware of what is reasonable to expect in terms of "par" in terms of all tournaments. They'll have a good idea of where they ought to feature in the Champions League knock outs (should they qualify obviously), as well as the league, league cup and Scottish FA cups.

I've personally got no idea how well they normally do in all the various competitions, but judging from the conversations I have with the (fairly significant) band of Celtic supporters who use the pub, they are mega happy with the way things are going.   
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #38726: Dec 08, 2016 11:27:48 pm
      So true. One or two posters allowing their triangles to get flipped, but the simple fact of the matter is you need to listen to the Celtic fans. My guess is they're well aware of any superiority their financial muscle affords them compared to other Scottish teams, and equally as aware of what is reasonable to expect in terms of "par" in terms of all tournaments. They'll have a good idea of where they ought to feature in the Champions League knock outs (should they qualify obviously), as well as the league, league cup and Scottish FA cups.

I've personally got no idea how well they normally do in all the various competitions, but judging from the conversations I have with the (fairly significant) band of Celtic supporters who use the pub, they are mega happy with the way things are going.   

Being in Glasgow at the time when Rangers went into administration the expectation from Celtic fans back in 2012 was that they'd have achieved at least a couple of domestic trebles by now seeing as their biggest rivals were unceremoniously dumped to the bottom of the league structure. They've not come close to it and checking in on them regularly the past few years I don't think there can be much complaints. The Celtic team from the last couple of seasons, last year especially, is perhaps the worst Celtic side I have ever seen in my lifetime. The last team to win the domestic treble was Rangers in 2003. Celtic last won it in 2000/2001.

Rodgers stint at Celtic can only be good for the sport in Scotland. They were always going to win the league and the odd cup here and there even with a truly sh*t team (like last year) but the challenge for Celtic the last few years has been to win it with style and substance. Actually SEEING Scottish players play proper football on the ground and with an emphasis on greater technique is a much needed impetus to the game and the SPL. If they're doing that at senior level then rest assured it is happening at the lower levels. He has, in the space of a few months, improved the quality of the Scottish Premiership just months after they laboured (by their standards) to the league title making Aberdeen look a lot better than they were.

The embarrassment of watching them play football that would make even Tony Pulis blush under Neil Lennon and subsequently under Ronny Deila made me want them to fail. I watch Celtic today and I want them to succeed not just because Rodgers is managing them but because they're finally doing the right thing and playing the right way ie the only way with which Scottish football can crawl out of it's squalid slumber.

Anyway, I digress...

;D - TRANSFORMATION! SETTING THE STANDARD! LMAO! FLIPPING THE TRIANGLE  - MEGALOLZ!
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,213 posts | 1220 
      Reply #38727: Dec 09, 2016 12:14:03 am
      Without appearing to be too disrespectful to Brendan, any clown could manage Celtic, given the opposition they face each week, apart from Rangers. Anyhow good luck to the bloke.

Bit like Newcastle in the Championship this season, wouldn't you say?

Given that they got knocked out by Hull in the League Cup I don't believe the current Newcastle side would have done much better than Celtic in the same situation despite their greater spending power and ability to attract better players.

Using that particular competition, given the particular set of circumstances, as a major barometer of progress isn't going to get you very far.

The challenge for Celtic is, in addition to maintaining their domestic dominance, and in an environment in which they are consistently blown out of the water in financial terms by many of their European counterparts, transitioning to a more modern playing style and introducing a philosophy that stands them in good stead for the future, as well as entertaining for the present.

By all accounts that's exactly what's happening. It's all they can really do whilst they are so completely outgunned financially, although with a bit luck (like not being drawn in the hardest CL group) Celtic should have a good chance of just occasionally doing quite well in Europe, too.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #38728: Dec 09, 2016 12:17:35 am
      Bit like Newcastle in the Championship this season, wouldn't you say? . 

Ouch.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #38729: Dec 09, 2016 01:53:47 am
      Bit like Newcastle in the Championship this season, wouldn't you say?

Given that they got knocked out by Hull in the League Cup I don't believe the current Newcastle side would have done much better than Celtic in the same situation despite their greater spending power and ability to attract better players.

Using that particular competition, given the particular set of circumstances, as a major barometer of progress isn't going to get you very far.

The challenge for Celtic is, in addition to maintaining their domestic dominance, and in an environment in which they are consistently blown out of the water in financial terms by many of their European counterparts, transitioning to a more modern playing style and introducing a philosophy that stands them in good stead for the future, as well as entertaining for the present.

By all accounts that's exactly what's happening. It's all they can really do whilst they are so completely outgunned financially, although with a bit luck (like not being drawn in the hardest CL group) Celtic should have a good chance of just occasionally doing quite well in Europe, too.

They're not even close to being in the same situation. It's been proven year on year that Celtic are the only team in that league whilst the Championship is one of the toughest leagues to get out of and into the top division. Yes, they are expected to win the league but not like in the same way that Celtic are in their shitty league. When Celtic drop points it's near enough frowned upon.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38730: Dec 09, 2016 09:09:36 am
      One or two posters getting their triangles all flipped up whilst falling over each other trying to put the boot into an ex manager of ours ;D. I actually quite like it myself, far better than those silly days when they were pretending they were right behind him while clearly despising the man.

I think secretly a few of them will have celebrated when Stevie fell over. God knows how they would have coped if Rodgers had triangle flipped his way to the league title.

As it is he came closer to getting his hands on the trophy than any other manager we've had in the last 25 years and still they drown his thread in mouthfoam ;D. I'm just amazed that they care so much, utterly bizarre it is.
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #38731: Dec 09, 2016 10:03:27 am
      I do enjoy the self appointed guardians of Rodgers that say you aren't allowed to even question the methods of a man who previously managed Liverpool. Do you all defend Hodgson so furiously?

Rodgers nearly brought us the league, but he also didn't. He oversaw the worst champions league campaign that I can remember. He said some embarassing things (the spending £100m and not winning the league quote was F***ing stupid)
      Beat by United, smashed by Arsenal, knocked out the semis by Aston Villa, beaten by Hull, beaten at home by Palace on Gerrards last game, absolutely annihilated by STOKE.

People are going to be bitter towards him because of the last 6 months he was in charge of us, no matter what he does at Celtic.

He was out of his depth at Liverpool, he got sacked. He's now found his level at Celtic and he's doing well at it.

Quick Reply