Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. END OF 2014/15 POLL: Brendan Rodgers - Stay or Go? (Voting was locked on 1st June 2015)

Stay
      (25.4%)
      Go
      (74.6%)

Brendan Rodgers (Liverpool -> Celtic -> Leicester)

Read 3042144 times
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Re: Brendan Rodgers Discussion Thread
      Reply #38732: Dec 09, 2016 10:51:35 am

As it is he came closer to getting his hands on the trophy than any other manager we've had in the last 25 years

& that's something to be proud of? Almost winning it?

Rafa almost won it too whilst challenging in the champions league... But your quick to mention his 'rant' .....

Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #38733: Dec 09, 2016 12:14:08 pm

Rafa almost won it too whilst challenging in the champions league... But your quick to mention his 'rant' .....

Actually when you look at by how many points we won that season and how close we were to the team that won it by points the Rafa season was the closest we have been in 25 years, that is conveniently ignored.

The hypocrisy in someone calling out blasphemy every time Rodgers name is mentioned yet the same ones sh*t and ridicule a manager who actually won trophies for the club. It's a funny old thing this swings and roundabout business you only need to go to the Benitez thread and read the trolling by the same posters of Rafa ever since he walked out of Melwood to still to this day having his career compared to in the championship with Celtic.

Playing an absolute blinder those on here talking about the changing of football philosophy is that the philosophy that went from tiki taka, false 9s and resulted in a record breaking transfer for an up and under striker from Villa?

Anyways long may he continue to flip triangles I have no doubt he will get to the very top one day.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,146 posts | 4897 
      Reply #38734: Dec 09, 2016 12:50:06 pm
      Do you all defend Hodgson so furiously?

I was as critical as many when Brendan was here but surely you can see the difference between Brendan and Hodgson?

Brendan ultimately failed here but for a period he had us playing the best football I've seen us play in many a year and was one win away from bringing us the title.

Hodgson was the worst manager we had in many a year and alongside his poor results he also did his best to have a go at us supporters when he felt fit.

It seems there are a few who claim to not care about Rodgers now but don't waste an opportunity to come in here and have a go at him.
      « Last Edit: Dec 10, 2016 12:30:23 am by srslfc »
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #38735: Dec 09, 2016 12:59:56 pm
      I do enjoy the self appointed guardians of Rodgers that say you aren't allowed to even question the methods of a man who previously managed Liverpool. Do you all defend Hodgson so furiously?

Rodgers nearly brought us the league, but he also didn't. He oversaw the worst champions league campaign that I can remember. He said some embarassing things (the spending £100m and not winning the league quote was F***ing stupid)
      Beat by United, smashed by Arsenal, knocked out the semis by Aston Villa, beaten by Hull, beaten at home by Palace on Gerrards last game, absolutely annihilated by STOKE.

People are going to be bitter towards him because of the last 6 months he was in charge of us, no matter what he does at Celtic.

He was out of his depth at Liverpool, he got sacked. He's now found his level at Celtic and he's doing well at it.

You're delusional if you think Rogers and Woy are in the same category
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #38736: Dec 09, 2016 01:17:03 pm
      You're delusional if you think Rogers and Woy are in the same category

I don't put them in the same category, maybe that was a harsh comparison.

My point is just because he has been associated with Liverpool in the past doesn't make him untouchable from criticism.

Delusion is thinking people who criticise Rodgers were also happy when Gerrard slipped in the Chelsea game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38737: Dec 09, 2016 01:52:04 pm

I'm not sure where I mentioned being "proud" of anything Shabs, you'll have to quote it for me and then I can comment on it. Equally I'm not sure the comparison to the best season under Benitez holds good either to be totally honest. I'm not going to get into the why's and the wherefors of why I think it's different because the same people who like to put the boot into Rodgers flp their triangles completely if anybody even thinks a bad thought about Benitez, never mind posts it.

It's the same old lads talking the same old stuff about the same old subjects (not so much you Shabs but the usual lads, the mouth foamers and triangle flippers). Next thing "the lads" will be accusing me of calling Benitez FSG (obviously I never did or have) and of "hating" him (ditto). I think it makes them feel better about their own little agendas if they think other people are as consumed with hate as they are. A bit sad really but there it is.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #38738: Dec 09, 2016 02:52:09 pm
      I do enjoy the self appointed guardians of Rodgers that say you aren't allowed to even question the methods of a man who previously managed Liverpool. Do you all defend Hodgson so furiously?

Rodgers nearly brought us the league, but he also didn't. He oversaw the worst champions league campaign that I can remember. He said some embarassing things (the spending £100m and not winning the league quote was f**king stupid)
      Beat by United, smashed by Arsenal, knocked out the semis by Aston Villa, beaten by Hull, beaten at home by Palace on Gerrards last game, absolutely annihilated by STOKE.

People are going to be bitter towards him because of the last 6 months he was in charge of us, no matter what he does at Celtic.

He was out of his depth at Liverpool, he got sacked. He's now found his level at Celtic and he's doing well at it.

You're absolutely right mate, saying you aren't allowed to question the methods of a former manager of Liverpool is f****** ridiculous. I haven't been around much recently, can you do me a favour and quote whichever f****** idiot said that and I'll tell him he's a tosser.

heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #38739: Dec 09, 2016 04:44:09 pm
      Actually when you look at by how many points we won that season and how close we were to the team that won it by points the Rafa season was the closest we have been in 25 years, that is conveniently ignored.

The hypocrisy in someone calling out blasphemy every time Rodgers name is mentioned yet the same ones sh*t and ridicule a manager who actually won trophies for the club. It's a funny old thing this swings and roundabout business you only need to go to the Benitez thread and read the trolling by the same posters of Rafa ever since he walked out of Melwood to still to this day having his career compared to in the championship with Celtic.

Playing an absolute blinder those on here talking about the changing of football philosophy is that the philosophy that went from tiki taka, false 9s and resulted in a record breaking transfer for an up and under striker from Villa?

Anyways long may he continue to flip triangles I have no doubt he will get to the very top one day.

Rafa was a far better manager for Liverpool than Rodgers although both lost it spectacularly at the end. Having said that there were mitigating circumstances for Rafa in terms of awful owners and CEO etc.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #38740: Dec 09, 2016 07:02:01 pm
      Quote from PurpleMonkey
      Serious question as I have always wondered, what's the difference between Rodgers and Rafa for you? I have never seen you slate Rodgers and seem to have an excuse for him... always, where as Rafa, you just love to slate, during his time with us and after.

Rodgers was brought here to bring us back into the European Cup. He made it in 2 years. Rafa was brought here to win the league title. He failed having had thrice as long to do it. There's the difference.

When Rodgers did get us back to the European Cup, we were third seeds and he came within one goal of reaching the second round. Our previous European Cup group campaign before him, as top seeds in a much easier group, was a complete shambles and ended with one full game to spare. The difference between the campaigns was like night and day.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,197 posts | 1205 
      Reply #38741: Dec 09, 2016 07:06:44 pm
      They're not even close to being in the same situation. It's been proven year on year that Celtic are the only team in that league whilst the Championship is one of the toughest leagues to get out of and into the top division. Yes, they are expected to win the league but not like in the same way that Celtic are in their shitty league. When Celtic drop points it's near enough frowned upon.

Don't agree. They're both by far the wealthiest clubs in their respective divisions with by far the strongest squads.

Celtic regularly piss the league and have done since everything went to pot at Rangers.

Last time Newcastle were in the Championship they also ran away it and comfortably secured promotion under Chris Hughton. They may even have gained over 100 points.

I can only think that's it's because of the two individuals involved in the comparison that you reckon the two situations are 'not even close' to being similar.
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #38742: Dec 09, 2016 07:09:20 pm
      When we hired Brendan I was baffled. I knew very little about him and would be amazed if anyone on here could truly say they had followed him before he came here.

I also didn't believe Kenny should have been sacked so he was in a difficult position in my eyes. His first season though he was alright, nothing special.

But that season, holy sh*t it was brilliant. Not just the football but because of how sh*t we had been for the previous few years and how unexpected the challenge was.

His final season it was clear to me he had lost his way and that's when the sayings and phrases became an issue, because you're losing, watching sh*t performances and then you start looking for other reasons to justify your opinion he should be gone. I did it myself, was very glad to see the back of him and the interviews.

But now, he is in a place where he really can implement his style because even when things aren't going right, they will still probably win, so he can work through the issues. That was never going to happen here.

Hope he does well in Scotland because he seems like a good guy to me and as FMS says, my god does the Scottish game need someone who will break from the turgid sh*te it's become.

Was glad to see him go and for quite a while I blamed him for us not winning the league because of our defence, but now i look back and think that was the most excited I had been about us since around the Juve games in 05 and no one can take that away from him.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #38743: Dec 09, 2016 07:59:00 pm
      1 good season that need just 7 more points, 2 and a bit shocking seasons which included some of the worst records achieved for a long time, 0 cup finals, 1 semi final defeat to Aston Villa, multiple thrashings and humiliations, constant bullshit "character" interviews and an inability to accept responsibility for his team doing crap.

Not bothered in the slightest how the rest of his managerial career goes to be honest, 1 good season that was messed up with the title in our own hands is hardly something to remember him by. One of our worst ever managers IMO, out of his depth and didn't have a clue what he wanted.

A few people won't like this but to be honest, all you have to do is look at Klopp and straight away the differences and ability to manage a club like ours smacks you in the face.

Nothing personal against the guy, just got sick to the back teeth of below par crap and excuses week after week.

Good luck to him at Celtic, hardly a challenge and highlight of a managerial career though, the team basically runs on its own because how bad the SPL is.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #38744: Dec 09, 2016 08:05:20 pm
      Rodgers was brought here to bring us back into the European Cup. He made it in 2 years. Rafa was brought here to win the league title. He failed having had thrice as long to do it. There's the difference.

When Rodgers did get us back to the European Cup, we were third seeds and he came within one goal of reaching the second round. Our previous European Cup group campaign before him, as top seeds in a much easier group, was a complete shambles and ended with one full game to spare. The difference between the campaigns was like night and day.

We won 1 game in a group that contained Ludogorets and Basel. Lost 3. You have a group stage like that for a club like us and you don't even deserve to be dropping into the Europa! But you think that's okay but Rafa having a bad group stage is something to frown upon despite being winners and runners up within 3 years? In fact our group with Rodgers was no harder. Only Debrecen should have been brushed aside there. We had Lyon who were consistent in Europe and Fiorentina who had a strong team. We got 7 points instead of 5 and at least made it to the semi final of Europa.

Also stop with this bullshit of Rafa hired to win the league, Rodgers get into Europe. It's crap, complete and utter crap. A manager for this club is hired to try and win everything! We were barely even making Europe when Rafa took over too so he accomplished and bettered what you praise Rodgers so highly for doing and then ballsing up.

Embarrassing even for you lad.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #38745: Dec 09, 2016 08:07:19 pm
      Neil Lennon was a real
      Success in the SPL... he came back to the PL & tore it up...

Oh wait...
      Kopite78
      Reply #38746: Dec 09, 2016 08:18:52 pm

Laughable this

Know why we ended up being top seeds?

Cause Rafa won the big ear b***ard thing, took us to another final two years later and got us ranked #1 in Europe you bad bell
      « Last Edit: Dec 09, 2016 09:03:27 pm by Kopite78 »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,421 posts | 4581 
      Reply #38747: Dec 09, 2016 08:52:14 pm
      Laughable this

Know why we ended up being top seeds?

Cause Rafa won the big ear basted thing, took us to another final two years later and got us ranked #1 in Europe you bad bell

& under the pressure from the Cuban heeled c**t & toxic owners he still managed to get us to the Europa Cup semi final loosing to the eventual winners of that competition..

We scalped the so called elite in Europe on their own grounds with an inferior squad...

We were a stone in the shoes of European cluns & that arl c**t Fergie too..
      RedWilly

• 9,183 posts | 1634 
      Reply #38748: Dec 09, 2016 09:50:50 pm
      1 good season that need just 7 more points, 2 and a bit shocking seasons which included some of the worst records achieved for a long time, 0 cup finals, 1 semi final defeat to Aston Villa, multiple thrashings and humiliations, constant bullshit "character" interviews and an inability to accept responsibility for his team doing crap.

Not bothered in the slightest how the rest of his managerial career goes to be honest, 1 good season that was messed up with the title in our own hands is hardly something to remember him by. One of our worst ever managers IMO, out of his depth and didn't have a clue what he wanted.

A few people won't like this but to be honest, all you have to do is look at Klopp and straight away the differences and ability to manage a club like ours smacks you in the face.

Nothing personal against the guy, just got sick to the back teeth of below par crap and excuses week after week.

Good luck to him at Celtic, hardly a challenge and highlight of a managerial career though, the team basically runs on its own because how bad the SPL is.

I actually agree with basically all of this in the main. Klopp is, as the idiot himself Paul Merson would say, different gravy. But he is to most managers in the world imo. He is without a doubt the most motivating individual I've ever seen in the game.

I don't think Brendan was amongst our worst managers ever, his first and last season he just maintained our previous level but now it's been a bit of time, we are on the up again, I look back on that season and think it was/is one of the few bright moments we have had in recent times and you can't give him all the flack without also giving him credit for the good.

But honestly I don't really give a sh*t, wish him well like but I'm not exactly watching the SPL every weekend!
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #38749: Dec 09, 2016 11:41:51 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      We won 1 game in a group that contained Ludogorets and Basel. Lost 3. You have a group stage like that for a club like us and you don't even deserve to be dropping into the Europa! But you think that's okay but Rafa having a bad group stage is something to frown upon despite being winners and runners up within 3 years? In fact our group with Rodgers was no harder. Only Debrecen should have been brushed aside there. We had Lyon who were consistent in Europe and Fiorentina who had a strong team. We got 7 points instead of 5 and at least made it to the semi final of Europa.

Also stop with this bullshit of Rafa hired to win the league, Rodgers get into Europe. It's crap, complete and utter crap. A manager for this club is hired to try and win everything! We were barely even making Europe when Rafa took over too so he accomplished and bettered what you praise Rodgers so highly for doing and then ballsing up.

No I won't stop telling the truth.

The "bull" is the myth that we were "barely even making Europe" when the facts show that he took over a club that had qualified for Europe 5 years in a row, and 9 of the previous 10. He also took charge of a side that had once again secured a top 4 spot. So we were an established European side at the time. I could go further, but this is a Rodgers thread.

When Rodgers took over, we were firmly in mid table, and his job was to get back into the European Cup, anything more was a bonus. That's what he did in two years, well ahead of schedule. When we finally returned after 5 years away, we were third seeds in a Real Madrid-European Champions, group and finished third. I never said it was ok, I am putting it in perspective. You can argue that he failed and you would have a point. But you don't have a point when you say he was one of our "worst ever", because (even though we did get to 2 cup semi finals in his final year) it's just not correct, end of story.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #38750: Dec 10, 2016 01:29:05 am
      But you don't have a point when you say he was one of our "worst ever", because (even though we did get to 2 cup semi finals in his final year) it's just not correct, end of story.

The records he was matching/beating (in a bad way) speak for themselves.

He should have done the right thing and walked away after we got completely humiliated by Stoke.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #38751: Dec 10, 2016 05:02:46 am
      I went out with an old friend to watch the Celtic match two nights ago. Was the first time I'd seen him since Rodgers was appointed. As mick noted with similar interactions with the Bhoys the joy expressed at his management has been unlike anything since O'Neil took them to Seville in that epic 2003 UEFA Cup Final. More importantly they are loving the football on show. They want to be entertained and entertainment is what they are getting. Anything less than utter domination is not good enough but Celtic fans are finally getting that. For sure they didn't win a match in the CL this season but you start to realise that those folk on here who laugh at them for doing so when facing Barca, City and BM will look for anything to sledge the guy.

The snipers who cannot resist firing cheap shots at Brendan is not befitting of the Liverpool support, only showing up their embarrassing lack of knowledge and respect for one of Britain's class football clubs.

Has he transformed Celtic? Yes he has. Are the performances put in during the two matches against City the type of performance we should expect from Celtic in Europe in the future? If they want to compete seriously - for sure. It's that style or it's the style that replicates the small club they were with two banks of defence with 10 per cent of possession style of play.

Comical? No - just ignorance on your part along with a heavy dose of childish baiting.

This post - K.O.

So true it must really hurt the braindead idiots here.
      lfc across the water
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #38752: Dec 12, 2016 03:49:09 pm
      Quote from 7-King Kenny-7
      He should have done the right thing and walked away after we got completely humiliated by Stoke.

The game had nothing at stake, and the scoreline was an irrelevance.

The next one at Stoke was much more important, and we won it 1-0.
      Kopite78
      Reply #38753: Dec 12, 2016 03:58:58 pm
      The game had nothing at stake, and the scoreline was an irrelevance.

Haha bollocks

A Liverpool game with nothing at stake? Nah lad

A game we lose 6-1 at Stoke

Stoke

That matters, I was embarrassed

6-1

At Stoke f**king city

I would personally never make my judgement on one result but to say the scoreline is irrelevant ? Not in my world

6-1 at Stoke

Oh yeah sound... Just forget that, don't matter.... irrelevant really
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #38754: Dec 29, 2016 10:46:02 pm
      Haha bollocks

A Liverpool game with nothing at stake? Nah lad

A game we lose 6-1 at Stoke

Stoke

That matters, I was embarrassed

6-1

At Stoke f**king city

I would personally never make my judgement on one result but to say the scoreline is irrelevant ? Not in my world

6-1 at Stoke

Oh yeah sound... Just forget that, don't matter.... irrelevant really

youre a cup half empty kinda guy i bet.

Quick Reply