Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Laptop Assistance

Read 34717 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Re: Laptop Assistance
      Reply #69: Jul 12, 2015 12:17:38 am
      A few weeks ago my laptop crashed with the error BAD_POOL_HEADER. It's an Asus laptop running windows 8.

Usually I would do some looking into the issue and see if there was anything I could do to fix it myself and learn a bit in the process. However I am going to Chile for 5 months next week (was originally supposed to leave last week) and I badly need my Laptop whilst over there for the usual keeping in touch with family, friends etc. but more importantly for work. So I just brought it to a computer repair shop.

I gave it to them, and told them that I needed it back before my original fly date. They took out the Hard drive and put a new one in. A day after getting it back it broke again. Same issue, this time they said it was the motherboard. The day I went to get it back I started it in the shop and it didn't even work there. They took it back a last time, eventually hassled to get it back and to no surprise it packed it in again.

I've done a bit of my own research since I got it back as I have no faith in the shop anymore. It's a memory issue but and I don't have the Windows 8 bootable disk to reset the system. But I've noticed a few articles mentioning third party antivirus as a possible cause. I use Bitdefender and after originally getting it back from the shop I installed the 2015 version and the next day it crashed again? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? I have it up and running at the moment but it can crash at any moment and take a while to get back going again. Will uninstalling the antivirus work? Obviously I don't want to just do it in hope after spending quite a bit of money on the initial repairs then the new antivirus.

I use Avast Free Edition. Lightweight, no memory issues. I would toss Bitdefender for the time being and try Avast and see if that solves your issues.
      Although......
      If the error is a hardware issue (which it sounds like it is) I'm not sure the anti-virus has anything to do with it. I hate to suggest this but do you know FOR SURE that the computer repair shop put in a new hard drive?

Sorry I can't be of much more help. I don't deal with Windows 8 much, hate it with a passion....Windows 7 is a much better OS. Good luck.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #70: Jul 12, 2015 11:24:55 am
      I use Avast Free Edition. Lightweight, no memory issues. I would toss Bitdefender for the time being and try Avast and see if that solves your issues.
      Although......
      If the error is a hardware issue (which it sounds like it is) I'm not sure the anti-virus has anything to do with it. I hate to suggest this but do you know FOR SURE that the computer repair shop put in a new hard drive?

Sorry I can't be of much more help. I don't deal with Windows 8 much, hate it with a passion....Windows 7 is a much better OS. Good luck.

Going to scrap Bitdefender, always used free antivirus with no hassle until a year ago and this isn't the first problem I've had with Bitdefender.

Don't worry about suggesting it mate, I have plenty of doubts about them myself. They gave me back what the told me was my old hard drive, but from talking to someone with a much better knowledge of this than me, he said that a new hard drive should have worked no problem and thinks they may have put in a second hand or refurbished on and charged me full whack.

I haven't had a problem with Windows 8 until now, but it's worth bearing in mind that the computer is just over a year old, no way it should be giving me this grief.

Thanks for the input though FL.
      Bier
      Reply #71: Jul 12, 2015 12:10:02 pm
      I use the free Bitdefender anti virus, it's supposed to be one of the best free ones out there. I actually changed from Avast to that a while ago, but I know that one is good too. Doubt your anti virus would be the issue though, but an easy way for you to have checked if any newly installed or updated software caused it would have been to do a system restore to a previous date before any issues had ocurred. I'm no expert, although I actually have had a bad pool header issue myself a few years ago, but from what I understand this can be caused by a variety of hardware or software issues. So it's hard to say what's causing it for you. In my case it was a RAM memory issue, I had to replace one of my RAM sticks. It does seem more likely to me that in your case it's also that and not a hard drive issue. Ofcourse some laptops have RAM integrated on motherboards, so the whole motherboard would then have to be replaced instead of just a RAM stick, but that's not the case for all laptops.

Honestly though, I think you're better off on some tech forum where you can get some better expertise, it's what I would do. At least, after doing the uninstall, system restore, and if that fails format and reinstall of windows. Rule out software issues. And have you considered to bring it to another repair shop? Maybe one that is well reviewed online or someone you know can recommend it to you. As you say you don't have a bootable windows 8 cd, and I imagine you don't want to open the laptop yourself. So there's only so much you can do without expert help.

Are you sure you don't have a warranty on it anymore?
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #72: Jul 25, 2015 10:57:06 pm
      Anti virus- use windows defender, spam-ware use whatever... malwarebytes, but never let them run real time, or start up with your PC/laptop. Do your own scans from time to time, a lot of virus protection software that has a big reputation is a form of disruption therefore virus and can conflict with you integrated Microsoft services.
      Honestly windows defender does the job, never buy nor install other stuff unless you know how to get software to uninstall it completely, like uninstaller.
      My input on that situation, I have had some experience and I've tried a lot of software in my time.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #73: Jul 25, 2015 10:58:08 pm
      A few weeks ago my laptop crashed with the error BAD_POOL_HEADER. It's an Asus laptop running windows 8.

Usually I would do some looking into the issue and see if there was anything I could do to fix it myself and learn a bit in the process. However I am going to Chile for 5 months next week (was originally supposed to leave last week) and I badly need my Laptop whilst over there for the usual keeping in touch with family, friends etc. but more importantly for work. So I just brought it to a computer repair shop.

I gave it to them, and told them that I needed it back before my original fly date. They took out the Hard drive and put a new one in. A day after getting it back it broke again. Same issue, this time they said it was the motherboard. The day I went to get it back I started it in the shop and it didn't even work there. They took it back a last time, eventually hassled to get it back and to no surprise it packed it in again.

I've done a bit of my own research since I got it back as I have no faith in the shop anymore. It's a memory issue but and I don't have the Windows 8 bootable disk to reset the system. But I've noticed a few articles mentioning third party antivirus as a possible cause. I use Bitdefender and after originally getting it back from the shop I installed the 2015 version and the next day it crashed again? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of this? I have it up and running at the moment but it can crash at any moment and take a while to get back going again. Will uninstalling the antivirus work? Obviously I don't want to just do it in hope after spending quite a bit of money on the initial repairs then the new antivirus.

Haven't you got a partition for that? I've got an Asus pc so I can find out the f key you need for recovery.

I will be emphasise this, do not buy anti virus. It's worse than what you can get for free.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #74: Oct 18, 2015 03:51:43 pm
      Folks, I could do with a bit of advice re. laptops

I have an Acer Aspire One net book which appears to be fooked -- "hard drive not present" (f*ck knows how/why).

Not arsed about the loss of data as I backed everything up on USBs/email accounts, but I do need a laptop/notebook to type up documents, send emails etc.

I'm thinking it probably isn't worth getting it fixed (£100 at PC world or take a chance and do it myself), so I'm looking at getting a new one (a laptop that is, not an Acer) for between £250-350.

What would be good value in that range, and where is the best place to get one?

Cheers
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #75: Oct 18, 2015 04:02:32 pm
      Thanks Bier and fishpie. My travel commitments left me stuck for time to get the best quality service and I paid the price for that, figuratively and literally! Two weeks ago it crashed again, through my terrible Spanish I managed to bring it to a shop here in Chile. They fixed it in three days, for half the price and it runs better now than it did before. They also installed antivirus, and microsoft office (which I had lost the first time I got it fixed).

I have an Acer Aspire One net book which appears to be fooked -- "hard drive not present" (f*ck knows how/why).

Not arsed about the loss of data as I backed everything up on USBs/email accounts, but I do need a laptop/notebook to type up documents, send emails etc.

I'm thinking it probably isn't worth getting it fixed (£100 at PC world or take a chance and do it myself), so I'm looking at getting a new one (a laptop that is, not an Acer) for between £250-350.

Cheers

I am clearly not the person to ask in this situation, however I'm sure you'll get the help you want from much more tech savvy people than myself.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #76: Oct 18, 2015 04:31:18 pm
      Thanks Bier and fishpie. My travel commitments left me stuck for time to get the best quality service and I paid the price for that, figuratively and literally! Two weeks ago it crashed again, through my terrible Spanish I managed to bring it to a shop here in Chile. They fixed it in three days, for half the price and it runs better now than it did before. They also installed antivirus, and microsoft office (which I had lost the first time I got it fixed).

I am clearly not the person to ask in this situation, however I'm sure you'll get the help you want from much more tech savvy people than myself.

I don't know much about computers myself, mate; hence my Acer's hard drive has disappeared or lost it's bearings or something. The word is probably "corrupted", but again I don't know how/why that happened or what the solution is except replacing it, and who's to say if I did that it wouldn't happen again?

I think the best thing is to ask someone who does have a clue about these things.

Btw, where in Chile are you? I've just returned from a 3 month trip to Uruguay/Argentina where I met a load of Chileans and I know another who I met in Barcelona and now lives in Madrid. Great people (as with the Uruguayans), great times. Now I'm sitting here in Scotland no less with my mate (the drink) watching the rugby!
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #77: Oct 18, 2015 11:40:13 pm
      I don't know much about computers myself, mate; hence my Acer's hard drive has disappeared or lost it's bearings or something. The word is probably "corrupted", but again I don't know how/why that happened or what the solution is except replacing it, and who's to say if I did that it wouldn't happen again?

I think the best thing is to ask someone who does have a clue about these things.

Btw, where in Chile are you? I've just returned from a 3 month trip to Uruguay/Argentina where I met a load of Chileans and I know another who I met in Barcelona and now lives in Madrid. Great people (as with the Uruguayans), great times. Now I'm sitting here in Scotland no less with my mate (the drink) watching the rugby!

Sounds very similar to my situation, if you do go down the route of fixing your existing laptop my advice is take your time choosing who/where you get it fixed. As I said earlier in this thread, I rushed my decision and had nothing but trouble until it finally went again. After getting it fixed here in Chile it's as good as a new laptop.

As for a new one, I'm sure someone will drop in with some great suggestions but as Bier advised me earlier, tech forums will be a better place to get an answer.

I'm just outside Linares. I was supposed to go to Buenos Aires for a weekend recently but due to work commitments I couldn't go. Gutted! Loving South America so far anyway. I'll be back in Ireland to drown my sorrows in no time myself!
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #78: Oct 19, 2015 07:17:52 pm

Cheers

Tell me about what you mostly use your laptop for.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #79: Oct 19, 2015 08:14:24 pm
      Tell me about what you mostly use your laptop for.

Mostly work, for typing up Microsoft Office documents, checking news & doing research on the web. Also for sending long emails. Cheers
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #80: Oct 20, 2015 06:41:14 pm
      Mostly work, for typing up Microsoft Office documents, checking news & doing research on the web. Also for sending long emails. Cheers

Your ideal laptop would be a sub-£350 laptop from ebuyer.com, dabs.com or amazon.co.uk.

You'll be wanting between 500GB - 1TB of disk space and at least 4GB RAM.
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #81: Oct 20, 2015 06:47:55 pm
      Your ideal laptop would be a sub-£350 laptop from ebuyer.com, dabs.com or amazon.co.uk.

You'll be wanting between 500GB - 1TB of disk space and at least 4GB RAM.

Which one do you work for?  ;)

Cheers for the pointers. Are there are any particular makes/models which you could recommend? Or brands to avoid perhaps...?
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #82: Oct 20, 2015 06:52:36 pm
      Which one do you work for?  ;)

Cheers for the pointers. Are there are any particular makes/models which you could recommend? Or brands to avoid perhaps...?

I'd recommend ASUS and MSI due to reliability. I'd stay away from Acer - poor quality components.

I work for none of the above - just Vodafone ;)
      -LFC-
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,136 posts | 1192 
      Reply #83: Oct 20, 2015 06:59:14 pm
      I'd recommend ASUS and MSI due to reliability. I'd stay away from Acer - poor quality components.

I work for none of the above - just Vodafone ;)

Nice swan
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #84: Oct 20, 2015 07:08:43 pm
      If you use your laptop a lot then it's well worth getting a MacBook.

Comes with all word processing, spreadsheet, presentation etc all built in. Has an antivirus that's better than anything on the market built in too. Pay £60 a month for mine until it's fully covered. They are expensive but I found I was burning through laptops at one every 2 years. These last for 5-8 years before they start to go bad.

Couldn't praise it highly enough and hate my work laptop now as it's a crappy HP with Windows which is endlessly crashing.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #85: Nov 11, 2015 06:50:24 pm
      I am back online after nearly 10 days, " dropped" my laptop, after getting frustrated about the arrow freezing, if you get my drift. Proved  costly to have a new screen. Cost me 65 quid to have a new one fitted.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #86: Feb 24, 2016 05:21:45 pm
      Had problems with arrow, keeps freezing, usually use touchpad, bought a new mouse, seems to be working, okay for now anyway. Anyone else had similar problem
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #87: Feb 24, 2016 06:57:50 pm
      Had problems with arrow, keeps freezing, usually use touchpad, bought a new mouse, seems to be working, okay for now anyway. Anyone else had similar problem

May want to update the driver for your track pad, have you done any other updates? Have you upgraded to Windows 10 for instance?
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #88: Feb 24, 2016 07:05:48 pm

When you're using the touchpad is there any chance your tapping in the top left corner of it? You could be turning your touchpad off without realizing hence the freezing of the arrow.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #89: Mar 19, 2016 01:42:19 am

You might have turned it off i startup services, try and find a new driver for it maybe.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #90: Mar 20, 2016 08:55:25 am
      Thanks for your suggestions, have upgraded to Windows 10, bought a new mouse as a backup, seems to be working fine at the moment, thanks anyway.

Quick Reply