Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 192690 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: Fabio Borini Player Thread
      Reply #1702: Sep 09, 2014 03:26:40 pm
      http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/11083330/Liverpool-striker-Fabio-Borini-hoping-to-prove-manager-Brendan-Rodgers-wrong-as-he-fights-to-resurrect-career.html

“The transfer market was like a storm. Now it has passed, I don’t have problems anymore. In the summer, there was a lot of talk. There weren’t big misunderstandings, my wish is to play in a top club and Liverpool is a top club. There have never been real problems, I know what my goals are and how I can reach them. Staying at Liverpool was one of them. I’m in a great team that tries to win every competition and that’s what I want.
      “If I stayed here, it’s because I thought I can play. It’s not out of thirst of greatness or to keep my spot here. I’m not like that. If I stayed at Liverpool it’s because I think I could compete. Of course, there are excellent players here, but you can’t win all the competitions with weak ones. I want to turn the great competition into an advantage and improve day after day."
      “This year, I’d like to improve compared to what I’ve done in the past. So I want to score more than ten goals. And, especially, I want to be called up in the national team. I want to take back what I want and what I think I deserve, also in a top team. Not simply how I did on loan in the last years. I was at ease at Sunderland. I had an excellent season, we avoided relegation in an incredible way. I scored 10 goals, it’s never easy in Premier League. I want to prove myself at Liverpool too.”

Great quotes. I really hope he proves the doubters wrong.

He's played 13 times for us due to injuries (32 for sunderland), and yet people write him off, when we've hardly seen what he can do.
      It seems odd to me, but there ye go, the new sport is "scapegoating" and making snap judgements based on F**k all, and 13 games is F**k all.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1703: Sep 09, 2014 03:49:04 pm
      making snap judgements based on f**k all, and 13 games is f**k all.

Yet people made "snap judgements" on Aspas after only 6 starts ? :)

Personally I am happy Borini has stayed, he is certainly good enough for 4th striker and while the money was too good to turn down (for Liverpool) I think for the moment Borini will do us more good than money in the bank.

I still don't think he is good enough to ever become a first choice player, but good enough for the squad .... probably.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1704: Sep 09, 2014 06:51:34 pm

It was the corner that done it for me  ;D
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,479 posts | 342 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #1705: Sep 09, 2014 07:20:25 pm
      It was the corner that done it for me  ;D

And what a corner it was. ;)

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1706: Sep 09, 2014 07:26:53 pm

Personally I am happy Borini has stayed, he is certainly good enough for 4th striker and while the money was too good to turn down (for Liverpool) I think for the moment Borini will do us more good than money in the bank.

I still don't think he is good enough to ever become a first choice player, but good enough for the squad .... probably.

Well, the same people who were raving about him in pre-season were probably the most vocal, but from his first game onwards, it was easy to see he simply wasn't cut out for this league.
      Borini on the other hand has shown with Sunderland, that he can handle the PL.
      He can do a job for us, no doubt at all in my mind, but like many strikers, he needs a run of games to be at his best, and I'm not sure he'll get them here.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,659 posts | 3670 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #1707: Sep 09, 2014 08:31:17 pm

It cause me diarrhea every time I watch it. What could be?! Just please don't post it anymore
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1708: Sep 10, 2014 12:37:55 am
      Well, the same people who were raving about him in pre-season were probably the most vocal, but from his first game onwards, it was easy to see he simply wasn't cut out for this league.
      Borini on the other hand has shown with Sunderland, that he can handle the PL.
      He can do a job for us, no doubt at all in my mind, but like many strikers, he needs a run of games to be at his best, and I'm not sure he'll get them here.

So it's o.k. to make quick judgements  sometimes, just not with Borini ? :)

He's here till Christmas at least whether we like it or not. I think he can do a job as 4th striker, I just hope people give him a chance if he plays.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1709: Sep 10, 2014 10:23:22 am
      10 facts about Fabio Borini

13th Jul 2012 - Latest News

Fabio Borini became Brendan Rodgers' first signing as Liverpool manager today – but how much do you know about the Italy international? Here are 10 interesting facts...

1. Fabio Borini was born on March 29, 1991 in the small town of Bentivoglio in Bologna, Italy. He started out at his hometown team before moving to Jose Mourinho's Chelsea in 2007, aged 16.

2. Borini's Premier League debut for Chelsea came as an 89th minute substitute against Tottenham in September 2009. In total, he made four top-flight appearances for the Blues. He was also a member of Chelsea's Champions League squad in 2009-10, figuring as a substitute against APOEL FC.

3. This will be the third time he's played for Brendan Rodgers. He first worked with the boss at Chelsea in the reserve team before Rodgers took him on loan to Swansea City in 2010-11 to bolster the Swans' Premier League promotion push. His faith in the Italian was rewarded with six goals in 12 appearances.

4. Fabio made an instant impact on his Swansea debut, scoring twice against Nottingham Forest in spectacular fashion. Afterwards, Rodgers commented: "There's great joy as a manager in seeing a player who you first saw as a boy producing the performance of a man."

5. After his loan period was up at the Liberty Stadium, Borini left Chelsea and signed for Parma before being loaned to AS Roma before the start of the 2011-12 season.  It was here he really began to flourish, scoring nine league goals in 20 starts at the Stadio Olimpico.

6. Borini has his own trademark goal celebration - but it's a bit unusual. After finding the back of the net, the forward will thrust his right hand between his teeth. He explains: "In Italy it means you've got the knife between your teeth - it's when you want to achieve something so badly that you are angry to reach your goals."

7. Indeed, Borini was much loved by the Swansea fans for his ecstatic celebrations. The man himself admits it's a trait he's learnt from his idol, Italy legend Filippo Inzaghi. "I like Inzaghi. I like the way he celebrates a goal even if his team are winning 6-0. And look at what he has won - the World Cup, two Champions Leagues and many league titles in Italy. Even if you have half his career, you will have had a great career. I have watched Inzaghi a lot and I have got something from him."

8. It's fair to say our new boy aims high. He once said: "I always set a goal target. I try to score a goal in each game I play. Sometimes it's not possible, but that is always my aim."

9. Fabio already has experience of playing at Anfield. He started for Chelsea U18s in an FA Youth Cup clash in front of the Kop in February 2009, though he left disappointed as a David Amoo goal secured a 1-0 win for Liverpool.

10. Borini made his international debut for Italy against the USA in February. He was named in Italy's squad for Euro 2012 in Poland and Ukraine, though the youngster didn't make an appearance. He also captained Italy U19s during the 2010 European Championships.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/10-facts-about-fabio-borini

11. He's fookin' sh*te
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1710: Sep 10, 2014 01:01:07 pm
      So it's o.k. to make quick judgements  sometimes, just not with Borini ? :)

He's here till Christmas at least whether we like it or not. I think he can do a job as 4th striker, I just hope people give him a chance if he plays.

It's maybe OK to make a quick judgement when it's glaringly obvious, as it was with Aspas.

It's not that clear cut with Borini: he's shown he can play in this league, shown he can score and create goals, shown he is physically up to the job.
      He doesn't look like a lost little boy when he comes onto the pitch, unlike Aspas who simply looked bewildered, and even a bit scared by the intensity.

It's like Henderson. Some of us advocated patience because we could see that he was a good player who for some reason couldn't bring it onto the pitch, whilst others were saying "get rid, he's sh*te".
      I don't think Borini is sh*te. Certainly, he's no world beater, but he's not sh*te either.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1711: Sep 10, 2014 01:20:47 pm

Didn't take me six starts mate  ;)
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1712: Sep 10, 2014 01:23:13 pm
      I find myself agreeing with the majority here. I myself am not sure anymore that Fabio is up to it (I must confess I did at first) but he's definitely no liability. Put it this way, if we'd bought him off of Sunderland in the Summer as our 3rd/4th choice striker, as opposed to just getting him back, most people would have been all over it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1713: Sep 10, 2014 02:50:21 pm
      I find myself agreeing with the majority here. I myself am not sure anymore that Fabio is up to it (I must confess I did at first) but he's definitely no liability. Put it this way, if we'd bought him off of Sunderland in the Summer as our 3rd/4th choice striker, as opposed to just getting him back, most people would have been all over it.

Not if we had paid £12/14 million mate :D , which is the problem as far as most are concerned. I think most saw the chance to sell a player that hadn't shown or done much for a big fee and would have jumped at the chance to sell. Now for whatever reason that chance may slip away (I always said it was too good to be true) and with only 2 years on his contract a loan deal would have seen that chance disappear up in smoke. (Which is what those Italian bas**rds were banking on)

So now either we sell him at Christmas or he will only have 12 months on his contract... meaning either we offer him a new deal, or try to sell him for about half the price we could have got for him this summer, or he sees out his contract and leaves for nothing.   
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1714: Sep 10, 2014 05:39:03 pm
      Not if we had paid £12/14 million mate :D , which is the problem as far as most are concerned. I think most saw the chance to sell a player that hadn't shown or done much for a big fee and would have jumped at the chance to sell. Now for whatever reason that chance may slip away (I always said it was too good to be true) and with only 2 years on his contract a loan deal would have seen that chance disappear up in smoke. (Which is what those Italian bas**rds were banking on)

So now either we sell him at Christmas or he will only have 12 months on his contract... meaning either we offer him a new deal, or try to sell him for about half the price we could have got for him this summer, or he sees out his contract and leaves for nothing.   

In fairness mate I wouldn't myself pay that for him at this stage either, but clubs were prepared to pay that based on what he had done at Sunderland. They (Sunderland) were even prepared to pay it themselves and presumably they knew what they would be stumping up for. Given his age and the relative values of the likes of Shane Long and Ross McCormack, maybe they have a better handle on the value of the player than we do, f*ck knows.

Me personally I would have bitten anybody's hand off for 10 mill or more, but now he hasn't gone he must be up there with the best fourth choice strikers around in Europe I should think. It would be strange but believable if after we all (me included) wanted him to bugger off in the Summer, a combo of Sturridge's susceptibility to injuries, Balotelli's bonkersness and Lamberts lethargy led Fabio to play a major role. It's not a scenario that I'd personally welcome, although he might and who knows he might do really well, bang them in left right and centre. Stranger things have happened, although at this particular moment I can't think of a comparable example  :lmao:.   
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1715: Sep 10, 2014 06:57:43 pm
      In fairness mate I wouldn't myself pay that for him at this stage either, but clubs were prepared to pay that based on what he had done at Sunderland. They (Sunderland) were even prepared to pay it themselves and presumably they knew what they would be stumping up for. Given his age and the relative values of the likes of Shane Long and Ross McCormack, maybe they have a better handle on the value of the player than we do, f*ck knows.

Me personally I would have bitten anybody's hand off for 10 mill or more, but now he hasn't gone he must be up there with the best fourth choice strikers around in Europe I should think. It would be strange but believable if after we all (me included) wanted him to bugger off in the Summer, a combo of Sturridge's susceptibility to injuries, Balotelli's bonkersness and Lamberts lethargy led Fabio to play a major role. It's not a scenario that I'd personally welcome, although he might and who knows he might do really well, bang them in left right and centre. Stranger things have happened, although at this particular moment I can't think of a comparable example  :lmao:.   

In fairness I think his large fee was partly down to small clubs having difficulty attracting players especially from bigger clubs. They either have to pay a little over the odds, take a gamble on players with "problems" (Ba and Remy) and/or pay huge wages. Similar to our problems without CL but at a lesser level.

I don't rate Borini, or Lambert for that matter, too highly. I think they can do a job in certain circumstances, but I dread having to rely on them to score the goals we need.  I will be surprised if either gets double figures even if they play more often than I expect (or wish).

Either would make a great fourth choice striker, but I would have preferred a better option at 3rd choice especially with Sturridge perhaps being a little injury prone. I would certainly feel a lot more confident about a title challenge if Bony or Remy had come in to supplement /challenge Sturridge and Balotelli.

I just hope they surprise me when they get the chance. 

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1716: Sep 16, 2014 09:47:08 pm
      Done well tonight
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1717: Sep 16, 2014 10:48:35 pm
      Had a great opportunity to bag a goal with the free header but fluffed it. Not sure if he did much else.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1718: Sep 16, 2014 10:50:28 pm
      Had a great opportunity to bag a goal with the free header but fluffed it. Not sure if he did much else.

Harsh and just looking to slate him there IMO. He took the header well and was denied by a good save. If it had been Balotelli or Sturridge I doubt you'd have said it was a messed up free header.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,581 posts | 3826 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #1719: Sep 16, 2014 10:57:27 pm
      Provided plenty of movement in behind Mario to allow the big man spend more time doing what he does best.
      Might be worth a start.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1720: Sep 16, 2014 10:57:33 pm
      Harsh and just looking to slate him there IMO. He took the header well and was denied by a good save. If it had been Balotelli or Sturridge I doubt you'd have said it was a messed up free header.

Nah mate I personally think he is decent and would have loved him to score but heading a free header straight to the keeper is not the definition of a great save.
      No favouritism for me I also slated Hendo for his missed chance  ;)

RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,874 posts | 805 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1721: Sep 16, 2014 11:17:32 pm
      His work ethic and movement could be highly beneficial for us while Balotelli is up top.

Balotelli can only do so much but I feel with Borini buzzing around defenders they'd both do well.

Did well in his cameo for me.
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Reply #1722: Sep 22, 2014 02:58:09 am
      I did not think he played all that bad against West Ham. Had a couple of shots and he did a really good job of holding up the ball. While he did not light the world on fire he could prove to be useful for us this season.

Glad he stayed.
      bmck
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,404 posts | 1611 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1723: Oct 01, 2014 10:18:59 pm
      In a game were we cannot buy a goal, against a team who were ripe for the picking, Borini does not even get on as a sub. A guy we were offered 14mill for. Riddle me that?!?!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1724: Oct 19, 2014 10:54:19 pm
      Would rather him be playing than Balo, at least he will make the movements to get the ball and will put some effort in.

Quick Reply