Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Fabio Borini (Liverpool > Sunderland)

Read 193711 times
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Re: Fabio Borini Player Thread
      Reply #1909: Feb 27, 2015 12:44:16 am
      The most depressing thing is that we won't get any more than 3M or 4M for him this summer. Almost a 10M drop compared to what Sunderland offered last summer....

nah he still has clout in Italy. you see the way they talk about him. of course, Italy have no money...

I still have faith though. He wasn't brought in to be world class by age 23. these players we've been buying are project players, which means 2 or 3 years minimum, not get pissed off at them for 2 or 3 years and ship them off.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1910: Mar 05, 2015 01:00:18 pm
      in a weird way a bloody cant stand him for not leaving and chosing to stay and fight. i respect him but its cost us like 10mil in transfer fee and he's been a waste of a squad number cant wait to sell him on. i wish him well and think he will get you 10+ goals a season if he starts week in week out but not for LFC
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1911: Mar 27, 2015 03:52:01 pm
      With the season closing and Borini practically gone, I just want a whine and to say... I'm actually gutted for Borini. He chose to stay and fight but was not given an opportunity....a run of games despite playing decent to warrant starts. He's the type of striker that we have been missing all season and if he was given the chance when Sturridge was injured, I actually think he would've filled that #9 role which would've been beneficial to the team.

It's easy to say he's sh*t because he lacks the footballing ability, but look at what he offers for the team. Better work rate, pressing and movement, and with better movement you get more of a goal threat and creating space for others (which he has shown when coming on as sub). I haven't seen that from our 3 strikers this season, have you? He should've at least been given a run of games.

I believe with Borini up top when Sturridge was injured and Lucas ahead of Gerrard, we wouldn't have been in this mess and fighting for 4th. With the squad we have, we shouldn't even be struggling to get 3rd in my opinion. Such a shame it took Rodgers so long to figure this out when the majority of fans could see we needed a mobile striker and defensive midfielder at the start.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,186 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1912: Mar 27, 2015 06:20:54 pm
      With the season closing and Borini practically gone, I just want a whine and to say... I'm actually gutted for Borini. He chose to stay and fight but was not given an opportunity....a run of games despite playing decent to warrant starts. He's the type of striker that we have been missing all season and if he was given the chance when Sturridge was injured, I actually think he would've filled that #9 role which would've been beneficial to the team.

It's easy to say he's sh*t because he lacks the footballing ability, but look at what he offers for the team. Better work rate, pressing and movement, and with better movement you get more of a goal threat and creating space for others (which he has shown when coming on as sub). I haven't seen that from our 3 strikers this season, have you? He should've at least been given a run of games.

I believe with Borini up top when Sturridge was injured and Lucas ahead of Gerrard, we wouldn't have been in this mess and fighting for 4th. With the squad we have, we shouldn't even be struggling to get 3rd in my opinion. Such a shame it took Rodgers so long to figure this out when the majority of fans could see we needed a mobile striker and defensive midfielder at the start.

I sort of sympathise with your point however Borini not matter how good he is at running around and pressing, there is minimal output in terms of goals. Rodgers was correct in choosing Sterling up front once Sturridge was injured as his pace at least scares defenders and keeps them honest, Borini well let's put it this way opposition defenders would not mind him everyday of the week.

All fine and good having belief in yourself but unfortunately he is not good enough for LFC and he has probably set his own career backwards by not moving. He should have looked for a move in the Jan window once it was more than clear that no matter how many forward injuries we had Rodgers was not going to pick him.

As Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limits'.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1913: Mar 27, 2015 07:10:42 pm
      I sort of sympathise with your point however Borini not matter how good he is at running around and pressing, there is minimal output in terms of goals. Rodgers was correct in choosing Sterling up front once Sturridge was injured as his pace at least scares defenders and keeps them honest, Borini well let's put it this way opposition defenders would not mind him everyday of the week.

All fine and good having belief in yourself but unfortunately he is not good enough for LFC and he has probably set his own career backwards by not moving. He should have looked for a move in the Jan window once it was more than clear that no matter how many forward injuries we had Rodgers was not going to pick him.

As Clint Eastwood once said "A man's got to know his limits'.

Thing is, each time he's played, I actually saw more of a goal threat in the box, more so than when Lambert, Balo & Sterling plays, so who knows how it would've turned out if he was given a run.

Anyway, you are right, he has set his own career backwards by staying as he's clearly not wanted, but who knows what would've happened if he was played.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1914: Mar 28, 2015 09:55:58 am
      Can we put the argument to bed about his 'pressing'. Just because you run around a lot doesn't mean that you're actually doing the right thing. He's always out of position and if anything he gets in the way with his idiotic runs. Glad I've not seen him in a red shirt for a while, even more raging we didn't get 12million for him in the summer, now we're looking at another loan deal for him I bet. The entire thing is his fault too, should have gone for the good of the club and his career. Still don't buy that he wanted to stay and earn a starting place, if he really did want to put in the effort then we'd have seen him play more or at least getting on the bench due to BR being impressed with his desire to train. Think I called it from the start, money grabber through and through.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #1915: Mar 28, 2015 10:44:19 am
      If Borini decides to stay and fight for his place again this summer, I'll personally fly to Liverpool and kick him up the ass!
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1916: Mar 28, 2015 01:54:48 pm
      Can we put the argument to bed about his 'pressing'. Just because you run around a lot doesn't mean that you're actually doing the right thing. He's always out of position and if anything he gets in the way with his idiotic runs. Glad I've not seen him in a red shirt for a while, even more raging we didn't get 12million for him in the summer, now we're looking at another loan deal for him I bet. The entire thing is his fault too, should have gone for the good of the club and his career. Still don't buy that he wanted to stay and earn a starting place, if he really did want to put in the effort then we'd have seen him play more or at least getting on the bench due to BR being impressed with his desire to train. Think I called it from the start, money grabber through and through.

You clearly have your own opinion of how he plays, and clearly, you hate him, so you have it embedded into your head that he's useless, always out of position and making idiotic runs and getting in the way of our players, but from what I've seen, he offers to the team more than Balo & Lambert put together with his pressing and movement. I thought his 2 starts vs Real and Sunderland as well as his sub appearances were were good enough to warrant more of an opportunity.

Anyway, let's not get into his on field activities, as no matter what he does, you'd never approve and we would keep going round in circles. However, I admit, if he wasn't training to Rodgers' standards and happy to be greedy and collect his money whilst sitting at home, I would be on the bandwagon and vent my hate towards him.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1917: Mar 30, 2015 12:20:07 pm
      He made the right choice to stay and got his chance.

Unfortunately he just didn't seize that chance and score enough goals.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1918: Mar 30, 2015 12:52:23 pm

Unfortunately he just didn't seize that chance and score enough goals.

Same applies to Balotelli.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1919: Mar 30, 2015 03:28:38 pm

That's generally true though I feel Balotelli at least deservces till th eend of the season.

Coming from Italy his job was completely different where he has been coached to hold up the ball in a much slower elague with less pressing and eight players behind the ball.

Borini has had a lot longer and his style should theoretically fit in with our plans.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1920: Apr 01, 2015 01:35:13 am
      when did Borini get his chance? Neither have got anywhere near the kind of run a young man needs to find any kind of form.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1921: Apr 16, 2015 04:27:19 pm
      makes me so angry when a manager pays a high fee £15 mil for a player but never gives him a chance,every time he's had a game he's worked his socks off trying to impress as he knows the window is so small for him. Thats the reason i feel he's not scoring due to the pressure created by Brendan, he should have been the lad to step up to the plate when we lost Sturridge not Sterling who at the time was not a Striker by trade. That must have been a massive confidence blow and insult to not give him the chance and i bet if he was given the chance like he was at sunderland we would have got 15 goals out of him. he will be sold then go on and score goals even that Aspas is scoring since playing week in week out.
      Thaddeus
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,063 posts | 171 
      Reply #1922: Apr 16, 2015 09:43:07 pm
      makes me so angry when a manager pays a high fee £15 mil for a player but never gives him a chance,every time he's had a game he's worked his socks off trying to impress as he knows the window is so small for him. Thats the reason i feel he's not scoring due to the pressure created by Brendan, he should have been the lad to step up to the plate when we lost Sturridge not Sterling who at the time was not a Striker by trade. That must have been a massive confidence blow and insult to not give him the chance and i bet if he was given the chance like he was at sunderland we would have got 15 goals out of him. he will be sold then go on and score goals even that Aspas is scoring since playing week in week out.

Borini cost 10.5m.
      Aspas has barely played, and has even been left out of the squad for the last month. He's got only 2 goals in the league.
      I like the Borini's work ethic, but he just doesn't have much ability. He scored very few from open play for Sunderland too. Admittedly, in the last game when he was in on goal the easy pass he didn't make was probably due to him thinking that he had to get a goal in his small window of opportunity, but that's a mentality problem.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1923: Apr 17, 2015 02:38:20 pm
      Borini cost 10.5m.
      Aspas has barely played, and has even been left out of the squad for the last month. He's got only 2 goals in the league.
      I like the Borini's work ethic, but he just doesn't have much ability. He scored very few from open play for Sunderland too. Admittedly, in the last game when he was in on goal the easy pass he didn't make was probably due to him thinking that he had to get a goal in his small window of opportunity, but that's a mentality problem.
      Yer maybe he just suits a average mid table club where he's a starter each week i think he will be the first player sold this summer along with Aspas
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #1924: Apr 17, 2015 10:49:16 pm
      Every player needs game time to get into a groove and show their ability but i just feel that Fabio just doesn't have even remotely the talent to be a really good player.
      Thing is though that i reckon that if he went back to Italy and played for a club like Lazio, Roma or even Juve, that he could actually be a damn fine and successful player if played solely as a fox in the box.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1925: Apr 28, 2015 05:23:47 am
      Has to be one of our worst signings in a decade.

Absolutely offers nothing in any aspect of the game I think even Milan Jovanovic had more abillity than him.

Crazy absolutely crazy that he was Brendan's first signing.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1926: Apr 28, 2015 08:21:37 am
      Should have taken the sunderland gig, no way he was ever gonna get a regular game ahead of Studger & balo, and now sterling. And all the ttacking MF players are better than him as well.

Feel sorry for him a bit, as BR bought him and said how good he was, but has never had a decent run of games, always just the odd game, which is probably down to just not doing it in training.

Straight swap in squad borini - Origi.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,547 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1927: Apr 29, 2015 10:53:57 pm
      As the kids might say in the car.... is he gone yet, is he gone yet, is he gone yet .....
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1928: Apr 30, 2015 12:10:52 pm
      he basically just wasted a whole season of his playing career and should have left, but fair play he said he wanted to fight for his place. shame br didnt stand in and say no lad we dont want you and you wont play good luck to him when he goes in the summer
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1929: May 01, 2015 07:52:22 am
      He should have left for sunderlnd, was never going to get the games for us he was getting there.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,809 posts | 2449 
      Reply #1930: May 01, 2015 08:25:42 am
      He should have left for sunderlnd, was never going to get the games for us he was getting there.

Would have been the better move for Borini's career but no difference to the club as the committee would have just wasted any money from his sale on more average players.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,532 posts | 1772 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1931: May 01, 2015 09:59:26 am
      Well u say no difference to the club, but an u21 striker could have taken his space on the bench and Lambert might have got more game time.

I do feel sorry for Borini, cos BR signed him and said how good he can be, and then has hardly played him. Probably realised he is not LFC standard.

But If I was Borini I think I would have figured out I was way down pecking order and woudl be lucky to get starts.

Quick Reply