Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Ryan McLaughlin (Released)

Read 18995 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Ryan McLaughlin Player Thread
      Reply #46: Jan 20, 2014 06:36:33 pm
      Has to be given a chance when his loan period is done, surely. Can't help feeling a lot of clubs would have done so already.

Totally Rep, I remember myself and Si both saying he should be given a chance early in the season. I'm sure you and many others thought the same too. Maybe the loan has helped him progress at a steady rate and diving in the deep end wouldn't have been the right choice, we'll never know.

I do know that loaning out Wisdom and McLaughlin could very well hurt his more than their progress will help us long term. Should it have been avoided, afterall we had Kelly, Flanagan and Enrique available and hindsight is 20/20 but we're certainly paying the price at the moment.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #47: Jan 20, 2014 06:41:38 pm
      Should it have been avoided, afterall we had Kelly, Flanagan and Enrique available and hindsight is 20/20 but we're certainly paying the price at the moment.

It does seem rather ironic that we appear to have a surplus of top quality young fullbacks, yet we've struggled in that area all season  :-\

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #48: Jan 20, 2014 06:52:32 pm
      I do know that loaning out Wisdom and McLaughlin could very well hurt his more than their progress will help us long term. Should it have been avoided, afterall we had Kelly, Flanagan and Enrique available and hindsight is 20/20 but we're certainly paying the price at the moment.

It'll definitely help us long term Luke but I don't believe that it'll hurt Brendan mate. 

I doubt that FSG expected us to be where we are this season, they are still working on their 5 year plan of which we've got nearly 2 years left. 

Yes hindsight is a marvelous thing and short term we possibly could have benefited from having these lads available for selection but we've done the right thing getting them out there, preparing them for a future at Liverpool FC.

There's no point us building from the Academy upwards if the lads aren't 'game ready' when they get their chance but hey, I'm preaching to the converted 'cos I know you well enough to understand this  ;)

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #49: Jan 21, 2014 01:52:55 pm

Such a fantastic player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #50: Jan 21, 2014 03:03:49 pm

He is.

I'm a little disappointed we haven't seen him get even a place on the bench this season.

Although this loan should give him good experience ready for next season.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #51: Jan 22, 2014 03:44:30 am
      Impressive debut with Barnsley.  He could be in the picture very soon this season by the look of things.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #52: Jan 30, 2014 01:03:07 am
      Ruled out for 4 week, tore his hamstring. Gutted for the lad was getting much needed first team experience.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #53: Jan 30, 2014 02:33:06 am
      Does anybody at Liverpool Football Club know how to stretch?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #54: Jan 31, 2014 11:05:12 am
      Just shown up on SSN that he has extended his loan deal at Barnsley until the end of the season.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #55: Jan 31, 2014 11:12:58 am
      Just shown up on SSN that he has extended his loan deal at Barnsley until the end of the season.

makes sense, we do after all have plenty of fit full backs don't we!!!!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #56: Apr 06, 2014 01:45:00 pm
      Nearly scored for Barnsley yesterday, a beautiful header that beat the keeper but hit the post.

Nice to see him back playing again.
      suso
      • Forum John Toshack

• 272 posts |
      Reply #57: May 15, 2014 12:23:22 am
      i have got very high hopes for this lad. can anyone tell me how he did in the games last night?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #58: May 15, 2014 01:39:21 am
      We attacked mainly down the left and right was unused for the majority of the time he was on the pitch. When he was called upon he was average, no major mistakes, just an average performance.

Personally, I think Conner Randall is a better prospect and when he came on, he had more of an impact and posed more of a threat than Mclaughlin.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #59: May 15, 2014 01:41:30 am
      i have got very high hopes for this lad. can anyone tell me how he did in the games last night?

Didn't do anything bad but didn't see him do anything special either. Our main joy kept coming down the opposite side. I have high hopes for Ryan too but for me he didn't really stand out, like I said though didn't really do anything wrong either, the game just seemed to pass him by. Then again I did miss about 15mins of the 1st half so can't comment on that.
      NZRed
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #60: May 15, 2014 07:19:50 pm
      Didn't do anything bad but didn't see him do anything special either. Our main joy kept coming down the opposite side. I have high hopes for Ryan too but for me he didn't really stand out, like I said though didn't really do anything wrong either, the game just seemed to pass him by. Then again I did miss about 15mins of the 1st half so can't comment on that.

Doesn't sound like he set the world alight, but great to see him in the frame for the first team even if it's only for a throwaway game. Hopefully he can kick on over summer and put in a claim for the squad next year.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #61: May 26, 2014 05:34:43 pm
      I bet we'll see Ryan rocket up to around where Flano is, jumping ahead of Kelly and Wisdom. That does make sense given Kelly and Wisdom should be playing CB anyway.

What will happen with Jack Robinson? He might be the man we need to replace in the squad, although I have my doubts about Kelly too.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #62: May 28, 2014 11:33:05 pm
      Ryan McLaughlin makes loyalty to Northern Ireland clear

Last Updated: 28/05/14 11:10pm

Liverpool defender Ryan McLaughlin says he is fully committed to representing Northern Ireland following his first call-up to the national side.

The 19-year-old could have already made his bow for Michael O'Neill's side but asked not to be considered in a bid to try and break into the first-team at Anfield.

This sparked fears that the right-back was considering defecting to the Republic of Ireland but McLaughlin says this was never a consideration.

"I'm a catholic from Belfast and people think I probably supported the Republic as a kid so they then think there is something in it...maybe I'm not playing because I want to switch to the Republic," said McLaughlin, who has yet to play for the Liverpool first XI, but made nine appearances on loan at Barnsley last season.

"To be fair they have a right to think that because players have done it in the past and players have moved, but I met Michael face-to-face and I told him my reasons.

"I know supporters will be paranoid about it but I have no problem with that because I understand where they are coming from.

"When previous international breaks were on, the Liverpool first team were having games behind closed doors. Brendan Rodgers was there and I thought it was a brilliant opportunity for me.

"I didn't think I would play much for Northern Ireland so I thought it was best for me to stay at Liverpool and concentrate on that.

"People will believe what they want to be believe but that was the truth."

Having received his international call for Friday's friendly clash in Uruguay and the game against Chile on 4 June, McLaughlin says he is now looking to make the step up for his club.

He faces strong competition for a place with Glen Johnson, Jon Flanagan and Martin Kelly ahead of him in the Anfield pecking order but is hoping that the addition of European football to the Reds fixture list will help his cause.

"Liverpool are in so many competitions next season so hopefully I will get a chance because we will have to rotate the squad a bit," he said.

"The manager has shown he will take a chance on young players. Look at how Jon Flanagan came out of the blue under Brendan and took his chance.

"I know where I want to be and that is Liverpool. I will set my goals high; I want to make a name for myself at Liverpool and do well for the club."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/9329843/ryan-mclaughlin-makes-loyalty-to-northern-ireland-clear?utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=twitterfeed_Liverpool

It's primarily about Northern Ireland but also mentions some things about the reds too.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #63: May 30, 2014 10:52:08 pm
      Set to make his debut for Northern Ireland tonight away to Uruguay. Best of luck to him
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #64: May 30, 2014 11:06:05 pm
      Set to make his debut for Northern Ireland tonight away to Uruguay. Best of luck to him

Oh nice, I will watch it. It's live on the BBC website :D
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #65: May 30, 2014 11:29:09 pm
      Oh nice, I will watch it. It's live on the BBC website :D

Red button as well apparently for us in Northern Ireland.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #66: May 31, 2014 12:35:59 am
      Ryan on the bench.

Bit disappointed as I'd heard from his mate he was starting.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,150 posts | 2780 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #67: Jun 02, 2014 07:05:32 pm
      Came on to become the first Liverpool player to represent the north in 78 years, since Sammy Smyth. Ryan I believe becomes the 10th red from the Northern Ireland
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #68: Jul 20, 2014 12:39:43 am
      Anyone heard any info on Ryan and why he hasn't been included on the tour squad?

As I've said before on here one of my staff is a pal of his and went to school with him in Belfast and all he can tell me is Ryan is currenty back home in Belfast just after the first week of pre season training.

Really thought he might feature this season.

Quick Reply