Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198341 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1104: Apr 03, 2014 01:11:30 pm
      I am still unsure about Joe. When he was signed I was delighted, I had seen him a few times playing for Swansea and he looked ideal. Since his arrival however he has mainly failed to impress with some insipid performances interspaced with some decent performances. Nothing I have seen up to now makes me think he was a great signing, he just doesn't have enough impact on games for me so far. 

I still have hopes that eventually he will come good but I think we could do better, with a bigger, stronger player who actually creates or destroys rather than someone who at best just "retains possession" and at worst just disappears and has no impact.

Up to now I would rate him as a 5 out of 10 player rather than the 7 out of 10 player we need. I think there is a player in there... I am just not confident that we will ever see him or even if he is the type of player we really need with our new more direct system.

Would it be safe to say that you think we overpaid for Allen then?  ;)
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1105: Apr 03, 2014 01:52:17 pm
      Would it be safe to say that you think we overpaid for Allen then?  ;)

More disappointed that he hasn't so far developed into the player I thought he would than worried about the price at the moment mate.

I think we probably did pay a little over the odds for him, but buying from Swansea we were always likely to, as I don't think they wanted to do Brendan (or Liverpool) any favours at the time.

I do think we can do better though and hopefully will in the summer, if not maybe he will do a Henderson and come good?
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1106: Apr 03, 2014 01:55:36 pm
      More disappointed that he hasn't so far developed into the player I thought he would than worried about the price at the moment mate.

I think we probably did pay a little over the odds for him, but buying from Swansea we were always likely to, as I don't think they wanted to do Brendan (or Liverpool) any favours at the time.

I do think we can do better though and hopefully will in the summer, if not maybe he will do a Henderson and come good?

I haven't given up on him doing that just yet mate.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1107: Apr 20, 2014 02:15:28 pm
      Had a good game against Norwich today, especially the first half were he was easily one of our better players.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1108: Apr 20, 2014 04:03:12 pm
      Very good first half, one of his best in a red shirt. Faded in the 2nd half and didn't compete well enough for their second goal. Needs to be more clinical in front of goal because if he can add goals, he will become very useful.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1109: Apr 20, 2014 04:50:17 pm
      Thought he was great today, having him and Lucas on the pitch at the same time doesn't seem ideal, but thought Joe filled in for Hendo almost seamlessly.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,080 posts | 805 
      Reply #1110: Apr 20, 2014 05:30:25 pm
      Superb first half, faded in the 2nd
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1111: Apr 20, 2014 11:01:35 pm
      He was amazing today, would have got Motm if it wasn't for Sterlings performance.
      Joe even surpassed what I thought he'd do.
      He fought in defence and had the deft of touch as good as Suarez and Coutinho.
      Thank you Joe, you further proved to me how important you are in our team of players.
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1112: Apr 20, 2014 11:33:28 pm
      Joseph had a brilliant game today.  There was that one run of play in the first half when he drove forward and played a through ball to Suarez, it didn't come off and they tried to play a diagonal but Joseph lept in the air and intercepted it then burst forward again.  That was brilliant.  Had a couple of chances at goal as well.  He's done well lately; I think if he bags a goal he'll start to thrive even more.  Knowing he's going to start the next two games for sure has to be giving  him some confidence.  Would love to see him score against Chelsea then boss the game.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1113: Apr 20, 2014 11:36:17 pm
      Would like to further add towards Joe Allen's thread today, to say he fought in defence attack and midfield today. He was immense.
      He was a big man today. Love him for it.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1114: Apr 21, 2014 03:51:07 am
      Cracking little player, was glad to see him do well today.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1115: Apr 21, 2014 01:39:01 pm
      Yes was very good again yesterday. Still can't help thinking though that he needs an absolutely storming performance or two to convince HIM that he is actually good enough.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1116: Apr 21, 2014 09:40:28 pm
      Yes was very good again yesterday. Still can't help thinking though that he needs an absolutely storming performance or two to convince HIM that he is actually good enough.

Or a real run in the side that seemed to do Hendo the world of good.

I think both of them are good enough for us but difficult to see Joe getting that extended run next season.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1117: Apr 21, 2014 09:46:34 pm
      Or a real run in the side that seemed to do Hendo the world of good.

I think both of them are good enough for us but difficult to see Joe getting that extended run next season.

I think Joe will have plenty of opportunities with 2 domestic cups + league + europe.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #1118: Apr 21, 2014 09:47:14 pm
      I think Joe will have plenty of opportunities with 2 domestic cups + league + europe.

I agree AZ but not a run like Hendo has had this season.

I expect Joe to be in and out of the side next season.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #1119: Apr 21, 2014 09:50:01 pm
      I agree AZ but not a run like Hendo has had this season.

I expect Joe to be in and out of the side next season.

Agree on that Si.

We are going to see very quickly next year how guy's like Joe, Luis Alberto and the like get on.

We are going to be all hands on deck next season.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #1120: Apr 22, 2014 12:26:08 pm
      Thought he had a good game - looks a much better player further forward as opposed to playing deeper last year.  Faded in the 2nd half, but probably him not playing regularly and the team in general fading a bit had something to do with that.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1121: Apr 22, 2014 01:51:31 pm
      totally changed my mind about him. I always rated him but he seemed "scared" when he put on the shirt. He has been fantastic these past few months and I have no problem seeing him in the starting line up.Just start taking those chances Joe and you will be playing a lot more next season
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #1122: Apr 22, 2014 03:36:40 pm
      I think a lot of Joe's problems have come when he's played not fully fit. He seems to be completely healed up and you can see that tenaciousness and that willingness to do whatever it takes to win the ball.

If he can stay healthy I think this will be the norm for this kid and he'll be like a new signing for us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1123: Apr 22, 2014 03:53:50 pm
      I still don't trust him completely, but I think if he gets a run of games he will improve.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #1124: Apr 22, 2014 05:18:08 pm
      He still looks short of confidence in the final third, but he's getting better. I agree he needs more games. If we manage to get a top midfielder this summer he will be even further down the pecking order, sadly.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1125: Apr 22, 2014 05:36:44 pm
      I predict his greatest 90 minutes in a Liverpool shirt will come this Sunday
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1126: Apr 22, 2014 06:49:23 pm
      The lad seems in a good place mentally and he seems fully fit.
      If he starts, I predict a motm type display, and I'm sure all Liverpool fans will be over the moon if another of our players stepped up and proved they deserve to be rated as a top footballer, not just a underrated no mark. We should have faith in our players and manager and he needs the crowd on his side fully. He's getting judged but not praised all that often.

Quick Reply