Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198335 times
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,915 posts | 957 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1150: May 07, 2014 04:15:41 am
      He has been immense the last 2 games.

Warrior like attitude showing bravery on the ball and throwing his frame around.

Yeah, the thing that I like the most is his tenacity on the defensive side.  He isn't big, but he uses his small frame to his advantage.  It's like he's so small that the opponents don't even notice him, then he nicks in and takes the ball off someone's toe!! 

Seriously though, he's improved a lot in both attack (keeping possession) and defense (pressing high and winning the ball back quickly).  Just needs to work on his ability to find a killer pass and/or be a bigger threat with shots from 20-30 yards out.  If he can add these two things to his game then he will be immense for us!!
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6293 
      Reply #1151: May 07, 2014 01:03:16 pm
      Yeah, the thing that I like the most is his tenacity on the defensive side.  He isn't big, but he uses his small frame to his advantage.  It's like he's so small that the opponents don't even notice him, then he nicks in and takes the ball off someone's toe!! 

Seriously though, he's improved a lot in both attack (keeping possession) and defense (pressing high and winning the ball back quickly).  Just needs to work on his ability to find a killer pass and/or be a bigger threat with shots from 20-30 yards out.  If he can add these two things to his game then he will be immense for us!!

If he adds those things to his game Harry he'll replace Gerrard ;D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1152: May 07, 2014 01:27:56 pm
      I slagged him off early in the season sarcastically labeling him.as the "Welsh Xavi" but he has stepped up to the plate and has offered the team very good support. If he can keep up his performances and continue to improve, then there is little doubt he'll be a fantastic player for us.

My only criticism of him is that he can go missing in some games, and as a midfielder, that is the last thing you want to do.
      LFC Dynamo
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 30 posts |
      Reply #1153: May 09, 2014 11:42:22 am
      Great player on his day, unfortunately it doesn't happen to often but he's been the past few games. :scarf:
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Reply #1154: Jun 01, 2014 03:41:19 pm
      Will captain Wales against Netherlands on Wednesday. Well in lad, another captain in the team!
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1155: Jul 22, 2014 12:42:48 am
      AskJoeAllen: 22 Twitter questions and answers

What's been your best and worst moment playing for Liverpool?

"Best moment? Beating Man Utd 3-0 at Old Trafford. Worst? The games against Chelsea and Crystal Palace last season."

What did you think about Luis Suarez's decision to leave?

"Disappointed. He's world class but you always sensed if Barca or Madrid came in, he'd find it difficult to turn them down."

Who was your idol growing up?

"It was actually Zinedine Zidane. He was my favourite player and I used to watch him every weekend."

Are you feeling confident about the new season ahead?

"I'm very confident. If we hit the ground running & with our new exciting players, it's only going to strengthen us."

How much are you looking forward to playing in the Champions League?

"That was one of the dreams when I signed for LFC to hopefully feature in the Champions League. It's something I can't wait for."

I'm your height and have always been the shortest in my team - have you always been the shortest in your team?

"Yes, I've always been the smallest. I think people had their doubts whether I was too small but you just try to use it to your advantage really."

What's your favourite thing about America?

"Their love of sports. Everywhere you go, Americans seem to be crazy about their sport."

Who excites you most about the current batch of new signings?

"Tough question! All of them in different ways. Adam Lallana is a player I've played against quite a lot and I've always admired him."

Steven Gerrard in one word?

"Inspirational."

Have the first two years at Liverpool gone as you'd have hoped?

"My first season was probably my biggest disappointment because of injuries and the first time I've had a loss of form over a long period."

What European stadium are you most eager to play at when the Champions League starts?

"Probably the Nou Camp. I've been there as a supporter and when I went I thought it would be amazing if I ever got the chance to play there."

Do you think we can win the league next season?

"Yes."

Who is the most serious person in the dressing room?

"It's between Daniel Agger and Simon Mignolet." 

Has Emre Can impressed you in training?

"Yes he has, you can see he has all the attributes you need for British football. He's a strong and powerful guy but he's technically also good."

Do you think you could take on Sakho in a fight?

[laughs] "Yeah, I think I'd give him a run for his money!"

Did you always play as a midfielder when you were growing up as a kid?

"Yes. I had one season when I was playing at full-back when I was about 11 or 12, but otherwise I've always played in midfield."

Who is the best midfielder you have played with and against?

"With... is Stevie. I haven't actually played against him so I can't say him twice, so against probably Luka Modric."

Who is your best friend in the Liverpool squad?

"Probably Glen Johnson."

Will you be spurred on by the competition for places next season?

"Yes, you have to see it that way. Having competition in the team always brings out the best in players."

Are you looking forward to playing at Fenway Park?

"I am. I missed the tour a couple of years ago and didn't get the chance to experience it so I'm looking forward to it."

What's on your ipod?

"A bit of everything. I'm more towards rock and a bit of heavy metal as well."

What's been your favourite game to play in for Liverpool?

"I think my home debut. Just to play at Anfield as an actual #LFC player was a pretty special moment."

http://www.lfctour.com/news/latest-news/askjoeallen-22-twitter-questions-and-answers
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1156: Jul 22, 2014 08:45:26 am
      I am expecting some good stuff this season from Joe I think he has a lot more to contribute than his first two season would suggest. A few goals early on and I can see him kicking on with his career at Anfield.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1157: Jul 22, 2014 12:02:26 pm
      I am expecting some good stuff this season from Joe I think he has a lot more to contribute than his first two season would suggest. A few goals early on and I can see him kicking on with his career at Anfield.

He has a lot to offer but he will have a huge fight to get a run this season I think Walton.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1158: Jul 22, 2014 01:03:57 pm
      He has a lot to offer but he will have a huge fight to get a run this season I think Walton.

I think that's a good thing,if they all have to fight for a place it should bring out the best in them the competition for places could bring us a much stronger team.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1159: Jul 22, 2014 02:25:42 pm
      I want to see him play in a defensive midfield role more often than box-box. I think he'll do relatively well there, and would gradually grow stronger as the season progresses.
      TeslaPhysics
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 985 posts | 32 
      Reply #1160: Jul 31, 2014 02:54:17 am
      5 dribbles and 2 turns then a back pass.  On repeat. All night.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #1161: Jul 31, 2014 07:24:08 am
      Think Can will mean Allen gets less game time. Can has the power, mobility and strength we need in the middle. Allen just looks too lightweight too often.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1162: Jul 31, 2014 09:03:11 am
      I have defended Allen a fair bit but he was sh*te last night. Just hope it's a fitness issue.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1163: Jul 31, 2014 09:11:04 am
      Joe Allen is a great player.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #1164: Jul 31, 2014 09:20:12 am
      I only saw the second half, I didn't realise he was on the pitch until he got substituted.
      daveyd
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,670 posts | 35 
      • Jürgen Klopp to take us back to the top
      Reply #1165: Jul 31, 2014 10:44:06 am
      Havent posted on here in a long time but
      couldnt stay away after last night. Playing Allen is like playing with ten men. The lad is of no use in any make way or form. His contribution to the team is"NIL".
      Had his chance,didnt take it,pre season or not,taxi for Joe please.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1166: Jul 31, 2014 10:45:13 am
      I only saw the second half, I didn't realise he was on the pitch until he got substituted.

Been a theme running through his entire career
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1167: Jul 31, 2014 12:05:12 pm
      Think it's time the club looked long and hard at Joe and decide upon his future in January
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #1168: Jul 31, 2014 02:57:26 pm
      Ought to suffer the same fate as Gylfi Sigurdsson and shipped back to Swansea.

Playing for a club way above his station. I just don't see a role or function for him. He's no anchor man or even a creator to contribute to forward play. The fee we were forced to pay hasn't exactly aided his cause either.

He may have been a star in Brendan's Tiki-taka Swansea but Brendan himself realised he needed to move on up to the next level in set-up and tactics if he was to succeed at LFC. Joe simply hasn't got the capacity to step-up to that next level - Swansea was his plateau.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #1169: Jul 31, 2014 03:19:01 pm
      Looked lost at times in the first half last night.

Seriously needs to improve and I would already have Can starting before him.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1170: Jul 31, 2014 03:52:02 pm
      Everyone realizes it was a preseason friendly, right?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1171: Jul 31, 2014 04:04:51 pm
      He just seems to lack confidence and is nowhere near the player he was at Swansea. Apart from his apparent ghosting through games we need our midfielders to start scoring goals and this is not a strong point for Joe.
      Del Boca Vista
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,006 posts | 208 
      • do do do
      Reply #1172: Jul 31, 2014 04:19:30 pm
      just needs a good set of balls. he's OK, joe allen, but clearly needs to up his game to a level where he is dangerous with the ball and not just a link in the chain. when it's your time, joe, you must shine! like hendo is doing! henderson also has a long way to go but you can see how much further ahead of allen he is.

Quick Reply