Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199411 times
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #115: Aug 18, 2012 05:54:11 pm
      Not saying he played a bad game mate.

I am trying to say for what we paid in the current market is a bit steep for somebody that will do a limited job. I would like to see us throw 15m on a player that will add some much needed flare and creativity to the midfield.

Hopefully we tie up Sahin on loan for that. I liked what I saw of Allen. Think he is going to be the player to keep us ticking in possession.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #116: Aug 18, 2012 06:00:11 pm
      I thought he did well, he put in fair few challenges and retained possession well, first half especially.  I liked what I saw today (of Allen that is!) too.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #117: Aug 18, 2012 06:00:23 pm
      Or Ramirez.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,972 posts | 3057 
      Reply #118: Aug 18, 2012 06:03:08 pm
      Stand out player of those in the outfield.

Finished with 66/69 passes - the most in the game from any player, at 96% accuracy. Also won all his tackles.

Very quick in recycling possession. Will be a good addition here.

Agreed Danny - but he needs more help
      luciano-lfc
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 72 posts |
      Reply #119: Aug 18, 2012 06:04:57 pm
      I was impressed with him. It's not just 96% of simple passes completed. In the second half, he was sending some quick passes through the middle with a lot of precision and that's really gonna benefit Gerrard and the attacking third. He can carry the ball very well and his tackles seemed efficient too.
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #120: Aug 18, 2012 07:05:03 pm
      Excellent stats.

I couldn't really see him during the game because my stream was so sh*t, so I couldn't tell when he had the ball. Seemed like one of the only positives from today like.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #121: Aug 18, 2012 08:13:32 pm
      Now we just need an offensive midfielder. Him and Lucas got the DM/CM positions well covered.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #122: Aug 19, 2012 12:03:41 am
      Now we just need an offensive midfielder. Him and Lucas got the DM/CM positions well covered.

That would have been Stevie G's role but he kept giving possession back to them. Very unlike Stevie.
      jabv
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,332 posts | 183 
      • backs Harvey Elliot's haircut
      Reply #123: Aug 19, 2012 02:14:32 am
      That would have been Stevie G's role but he kept giving possession back to them. Very unlike Stevie.

I just wouldn't rely on Stevie only, at least not for a whole season. IMHO we need backup for that position, unless Shelvey suddenly steps up in a major way.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,748 posts | 6721 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #124: Aug 19, 2012 02:27:12 am
      I just wouldn't rely on Stevie only, at least not for a whole season. IMHO we need backup for that position, unless Shelvey suddenly steps up in a major way.

Sorry mate was just talking about last night. Surely Stevie wouldn't have another stinker like he did last night, so I reckon he's the man and we most definitely need to get a new striker in as our Number 1 priority.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #125: Aug 19, 2012 07:21:41 am
      Like many I suspect, I kept a close eye on Allen yesterday, and I was very impressed with him. Started a little cautiously with his trademark short accurate passing, but soon started to hit a few 30yard passes out to the wings. Worked hard trying to get the ball flowing across our midfield and tidying up when required.

I don't think the partnership with Lucas worked that well to be honest, but it was their first game together, and I am sure they will soon build a better understanding.

Much better player than I gave him credit for and I am sure there is much more to come. Don't see him getting many assists this season, but he can and did play a couple of good forward passes as well as a reasonable chip/cross that Carroll couldn't quite get on to. Seems to have two good feet and the ability to make quick accurate passes that Adam might learn from.

Considering how poorly Gerrard played and that Lucas just wasn't match fit (imo) I thought Allen did very well. Maybe Lucas should sit a little deeper (like last season) as he didn't look as comfortable coming forward and I thought both Allen and Lucas were caught out forward a few times.   
      sivapc22
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      Reply #126: Aug 19, 2012 10:07:52 am
      utterly anonymous. he can only get better because he can't perform worse than that.
      anoop
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 651 posts |
      • Liverpool fan till i die !!..
      Reply #127: Aug 19, 2012 11:04:19 am
      utterly anonymous. he can only get better because he can't perform worse than that.

Which game you have wached?  :o. He ll get better, but if he is anonymous then you may have to say persons like downing , gerrard didn't even existed in the world
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #128: Aug 19, 2012 11:06:26 am

Now I'm starting to think you didn't watch the game.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #129: Aug 19, 2012 11:50:48 am

He was our best outfield player by some distance. He hardly put a foot wrong, to be honest with you.

I knew you were stupid, I didn't know you were blind as well.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #130: Aug 19, 2012 12:27:52 pm
      Robbo Huyton:
      Joe Allen attempted 69 passes yesterday and 66 were accurate - 96%. Not a bad start for him at least.

Also defensively people having a go I saw him make many a decent challenge and win back the ball quickly quite often.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #131: Aug 19, 2012 01:24:12 pm
      Thought he played well for his first game. His partnership with Lucas will get much better.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #132: Aug 19, 2012 03:57:10 pm
      aussieredave
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 961 posts |
      Reply #133: Aug 20, 2012 12:25:42 am
      He was our best player and did quite well considering he just joined the team. Im not that concerned with this loss and i think Allen and Lucas will work together well when they click.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #134: Aug 20, 2012 12:37:26 am
      If there is anything positive to take from the game yesterday, it is the performance of Joe. Looked to keep everything simple and rarely have it away. Good signs.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #135: Aug 20, 2012 01:25:25 am
      I would like to see players like Allen play a bit higher up the pitch. Lucas can spread the ball with quick passes, it is a big part of his game. Allen needs to get in the thick of it and keep possession there. Otherwise we have him dropping deep getting the ball off Lucas and playing the balls that Lucas plays.
      Scottbot

• 9,612 posts | 2159 
      Reply #136: Aug 20, 2012 06:07:17 pm
      Just to echo most people who have praised Allen's debut at the weekend. I thought he was excellent and will prove to be a very astute signings. Reminds me of Paul Scholes the way he shows for the ball and makes that little bit of space for himself to be able to receive the ball. Considering he has had zero time to gel with his teamates it was an impressive debut and he was comfortably our man of the match for me.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #137: Aug 23, 2012 10:18:43 pm
      Anfield Index @AnfieldIndex
      Joe Allen came on & completed 31/32 passes (96.9%) & also made 6 ball recoveries - the same amount as match starters Shelvey & Adam

This guys is class.

Quick Reply