Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199085 times
      Poko
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,502 posts | 65 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1196: Aug 31, 2014 03:27:40 pm
      This could be an unpopular opinion but I've got an extreme dislike for this lad. Just reminds me of a rat on the pitch with the way he plays. Between the way he was grabbing at Lamela for his yellow and how easily he went down for the PK. Just not a player I really respect all that much on the pitch and think he goes missing for most of the game when he plays.

The Lamela foul was a great foul, they would have outnumbered us in a counter attack so Allen had no choice. As for the penalty, everyone dives in the box, therefore you should dislike every player.
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #1197: Aug 31, 2014 03:46:06 pm
      The Lamela foul was a great foul, they would have outnumbered us in a counter attack so Allen had no choice. As for the penalty, everyone dives in the box, therefore you should dislike every player.

I'm not arguing the foul itself. It was an intelligent piece of tactical play yes, but if you're going to foul someone then actually foul them. Don't grab them by the hips and like climb around him until he eventually falls down probably due to just being annoyed to have someone tugging at him.

And you're very confused, not every player dives. But no I do not like when players dive. It's a very sad and unfortunate part of what should be a game played by men. Just because someone taps you in the arm does not mean that you should be sent flying on to the ground like that.

I simply don't like him as a player and can't understand why he deserves a starting spot over Can or Lucas. He doesn't add much to our play, he often goes missing, and he's not doing for us what he did best for Swansea which was move the ball efficiently and effectively and recycle possession around the pitch.

Like I said in my original post though, might be an unpopular opinion, but it's just an opinion.
      StevieGTheCaptain8
      • Forum Ian St John

• 444 posts | 11 
      • Italian Fan
      Reply #1198: Aug 31, 2014 03:59:03 pm
      I can see him really improved in his last appereances. Keep working Joe
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #1199: Aug 31, 2014 04:50:18 pm
      Have only watched the first half so far but Allen was excellent. Can easily see why the boss values him. He was tidy, had good touches and wasn't afraid to mix it up. He really is a TEAM player, not an individual superstar. Superstars are great but sometimes you need players willing to do anything for the team.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1200: Aug 31, 2014 04:57:05 pm
      Excellent performance from Joe today. Once again proving what an important squad player he is for us and many times, an important first XI player.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1201: Aug 31, 2014 05:01:21 pm
      Yes Joe was good again. I personally didn't think it was a penalty (I hate that when players feel the "contact" and go down, but he did well to win it). All in all a very tidy performace from a very tidy player.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1202: Aug 31, 2014 05:06:53 pm
      Yes Joe was good again. I personally didn't think it was a penalty (I hate that when players feel the "contact" and go down, but he did well to win it). All in all a very tidy performace from a very tidy player.

If it was a penalty against us I would have thought it was a bit tame but I would have equally understood that reaching out and grabbing the player is a stupid thing to do and gives the referee, in my opinion, an easy decision. The right decision. So so clumsy from Dier.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,000 posts | 3951 
      Reply #1203: Aug 31, 2014 05:18:25 pm
      If it was a penalty against us I would have thought it was a bit tame but I would have equally understood that reaching out and grabbing the player is a stupid thing to do and gives the referee, in my opinion, an easy decision. The right decision. So so clumsy from Dier.

It was a soft pen but in the area any contact of that nature is always given, Dier would be well aware of the fact and Allen made sure it didn't go unnoticed.
       Dier would react in the same way to what you rightly describe as a clumsy challenge so can have no complaints.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,897 posts | 816 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1204: Aug 31, 2014 05:46:14 pm
      Not sure Allen did as well as he did in the first half of last week.

Kind of went unnoticed to me until the penalty, if his form dips we have Can who seems capable of easily slotting in, which I am sure will spur Joe on.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,581 posts | 3911 
      Reply #1205: Aug 31, 2014 07:20:07 pm
      I really like him, always have. Just think he adds balance to the team.

A very underrated player.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1206: Aug 31, 2014 08:32:31 pm
      Glad that Joe was able to make a positive offensive contribution to perhaps get a few of the bashes off his case for a day or two
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1207: Aug 31, 2014 08:40:55 pm
      Glad that Joe was able to make a positive offensive contribution to perhaps get a few of the bashes off his case for a day or two

I would say I have been one of his "bashers" Scott .... I thought he had a very good game today.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1208: Aug 31, 2014 08:42:53 pm
      Allen is the type of squad player all top sides need. He might not excel on any particular position but he can play anywhere in midfield at a good level. He will be a very useful player for us this season.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,353 posts | 1024 
      Reply #1209: Aug 31, 2014 09:12:28 pm
      Yeah I agree with Baz above about Allen not particularly excelling in a certain position but I take him for what he is and I'm actually really starting to like him. He may not grab the game by the scruff of the neck like Hendo, spray Hollywood passes to the fullbacks like Gerrard or dance around the opposition like Cou but that's not what he is there to do. There's no point in comparing him to these players.

He changed the game against Southampton, was arguably our best midfielder against City and won a penalty today. His contribution is there for all to see. He didn't exactly endear himself to the neutral today with the foul against Lamela and going down softly for the penalty, but who cares eh? He got that penalty at an important time and took one for the team with a yellow card to prevent Spurs breaking away. Well in Joe!
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,593 posts | 2153 
      Reply #1210: Aug 31, 2014 11:02:17 pm
      I would say I have been one of his "bashers" Scott .... I thought he had a very good game today.

Wasn't aimed at you specifically mate but he did alright today didn't he. When we play him on the left of that diamond I think that his qualities ie. work rate, mobility, quick passing and ability to press the ball come to the fore a little more and there is less pressure on him to create something given that we have two up top and Sterling reeking havoc wherever he goes. I'd say that pretty much all of his best games have come in that formation.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1211: Aug 31, 2014 11:31:25 pm
      Flattered to deceive again for me and he sure seems to deceive a lot of people.  A few decent tackles, but if he touched the ball or played half the number of passes that Gerrard or Henderson did, I'd be very surprised. He looked lost out there for the large part.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #1212: Sep 04, 2014 04:38:25 pm
      was reading through a separate thread on Allen (one created before we had him signed) and the general consensus was that we were overpaying for him.

More than two years since Allen has joined the club. How would you guys rate his progress at the club?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1213: Sep 04, 2014 05:07:38 pm
      was reading through a separate thread on Allen (one created before we had him signed) and the general consensus was that we were overpaying for him.

More than two years since Allen has joined the club. How would you guys rate his progress at the club?

Flatters to deceive and deceives a lot of people.

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #1214: Sep 04, 2014 05:09:06 pm
      Must not be a lot to talk about on the forum...whenever things get slow, we seem to revert to bashing on Allen.

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1215: Sep 04, 2014 05:16:37 pm
      Must not be a lot to talk about on the forum...whenever things get slow, we seem to revert to bashing on Allen.

It's just an opinion on what I've seen of him this season.  I want him to do well, but I've not seen this excellent player every seems to see.  Goes missing, looks lost at times, gets bullied off the ball and rarely touches it, in comparison to our other midfielders.  He's had the odd moment in matches and he has looked handy coming off the bench late in a game but based on what I've seen, I don't want him starting games.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,173 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1216: Sep 04, 2014 09:18:04 pm

It's just an opinion on what I've seen of him this season.  I want him to do well, but I've not seen this excellent player every seems to see.  Goes missing, looks lost at times, gets bullied off the ball and rarely touches it, in comparison to our other midfielders.  He's had the odd moment in matches and he has looked handy coming off the bench late in a game but based on what I've seen, I don't want him starting games.

This great myth of he gets bullied off the ball - give us some examples.

I for one have seen up against YaYa twice now and he certainly more than held is own.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1217: Sep 04, 2014 10:06:54 pm

This great myth of he gets bullied off the ball - give us some examples.

I for one have seen up against YaYa twice now and he certainly more than held is own.

Happened against Spurs, he had less touches than Balotelli as well, just wasn't an outlet for us.  He was our weak link against Spurs, it didn't break, but he was poorest midfielder by some distance.  As I said, he flatters to deceive and he's deceiving a lot. 

FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,226 posts | 6354 
      Reply #1218: Sep 05, 2014 12:18:14 am
      Happened against Spurs, he had less touches than Balotelli as well, just wasn't an outlet for us.  He was our weak link against Spurs, it didn't break, but he was poorest midfielder by some distance.  As I said, he flatters to deceive and he's deceiving a lot. 

He sure did a great job getting us a second goal against Spurs....if not for that goal, that game could have went either way. I'd like to see him at least get credit for that.

Quick Reply