Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 26th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W15 D7 L2

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199446 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1242: Oct 03, 2014 10:59:13 pm
      So starting to look better on the injury front.

Please never say this just before an International Break ever again, you know the luck we have with our players and playing International, we also lose at least a couple of players.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1243: Oct 04, 2014 05:10:12 pm
      When is he coming back?

We need him desperately - he shuts out attacks incredibly well ala Tottenham. Offers so much pressing and energy of the side - a fantastic little player.

Anyone who thinks he's sh*t shouldn't be supporting this club.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,916 posts | 820 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #1244: Oct 04, 2014 05:16:57 pm
      Think Allen Henderson Lallana would be a great midfield three to have. All hard working and neat when with possession.

Hope he makes it happen when his fit again.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1245: Oct 04, 2014 08:50:44 pm
      Think Allen Henderson Lallana would be a great midfield three to have. All hard working and neat when with possession.

Hope he makes it happen when his fit again.

Was just coming in here to say I'd replace Sterling with Allen for at least a game...Sterling needs to sort himself out...he's still dangerous at times but most of the time today he was a passenger or doing the other team's job for them giving the ball away.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,239 posts | 4929 
      Reply #1246: Oct 04, 2014 10:47:24 pm
      Was just coming in here to say I'd replace Sterling with Allen for at least a game...Sterling needs to sort himself out...he's still dangerous at times but most of the time today he was a passenger or doing the other team's job for them giving the ball away.

Gerrard

Henderson       Allen

Lallana
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,316 posts | 6378 
      Reply #1247: Oct 05, 2014 02:09:52 am
      Gerrard

Henderson       Allen

Lallana

Works for me Si.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,191 posts | 1274 
      Reply #1248: Oct 05, 2014 05:04:14 pm
      A midfield 3 of Lucas, Henderson, Allen.

Lucas shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1249: Oct 05, 2014 07:31:31 pm
      Lucas shouldn't be anywhere near the first team.

Exactly .
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #1250: Oct 06, 2014 07:11:50 am
      It'll be great having the having Allen back, I've said he's a good player when people have slated him constantly on here.
      However... I'm a bit scared at the way everyone is expecting him to be the answer all of a sudden, i.e he'll come back in the team and the bad organisation and defensive mistakes will all of a sudden cease to be.
      Absence makes the heart grow way fonder than it should be.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1251: Oct 06, 2014 07:44:11 am
      It'll be great having the having Allen back, I've said he's a good player when people have slated him constantly on here.
      However... I'm a bit scared at the way everyone is expecting him to be the answer all of a sudden, i.e he'll come back in the team and the bad organisation and defensive mistakes will all of a sudden cease to be.
      Absence makes the heart grow way fonder than it should be.

I agree mate good player, but all our players injured end being world class, a bit more perspective needed all round.

Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #1252: Oct 06, 2014 08:33:41 am
      I think Allen has become a more important player over the past 6 months. Doesn't mean he'll always play but I think he gives Rodgers tactical flexibility in that he functions very well on the left side of the diamond but is also more than comfortable anywhere in a midfield 3. He gives a level of control and stability which is obviously important particularly away from home. Be good to have him back
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #1253: Oct 07, 2014 09:57:40 pm
      I'm very excited for both Allen and Can to return to the fold. With Lallana finding his form and hendo taking his game up a level we will have some very solid options in the middle so that we don't have to be so heavily reliant on Stevie.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1254: Oct 23, 2014 03:21:32 am
      What is the prurpose of this lad I ask?

Was nowehere in defense all night last night and was horrendously ineffective when he found himself in positions around their box. Got muscled off the ball way too easily for the third conceding posession that lead to a corner and us conceding the third.

Seems to always slip under the radar this lad and he's injury record for us is fukn horrendous I read somewhere it has been 7 injuries since ha has joined us Agger and Sturridnge get branded with the made of glass tag but this lad is up there too.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1255: Oct 23, 2014 07:44:30 am

Was nowehere in defense all night last night and was horrendously ineffective when he found himself in positions around their box. Got muscled off the ball way too easily for the third conceding posession that lead to a corner and us conceding the third.

Seems to always slip under the radar this lad and he's injury record for us is fukn horrendous I read somewhere it has been 7 injuries since ha has joined us Agger and Sturridnge get branded with the made of glass tag but this lad is up there too.

Was it not his first start this season and coming back from his injury a bit unfair mate but I understand the sentiment.

andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #1256: Oct 23, 2014 07:48:06 am

With you all day long fella .
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1257: Oct 23, 2014 08:03:17 am
      Was it not his first start this season and coming back from his injury a bit unfair mate but I understand the sentiment.

It was his first start, the frustrating thing  is it has always been stop start with this lad I don't think I recall the lad being available for selection in more than 5 matches.

I still don't know what his role is, he was brought in here to be the one to reclycle posession and keep the play ticking but now seems to be pushed further up the park and is consistently poor at holding the ball up and does not seem to have the vision for a defense splitting pass.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1258: Oct 23, 2014 01:56:17 pm
      It was his first start, the frustrating thing  is it has always been stop start with this lad I don't think I recall the lad being available for selection in more than 5 matches.

I still don't know what his role is, he was brought in here to be the one to reclycle posession and keep the play ticking but now seems to be pushed further up the park and is consistently poor at holding the ball up and does not seem to have the vision for a defense splitting pass.

I agree. I think I remember him collecting the ball just outside the opponents half and he took way too many touches and it got stolen. Ball should have left his feet after a couple of seconds.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1259: Oct 23, 2014 03:00:19 pm
      I agree. I think I remember him collecting the ball just outside the opponents half and he took way too many touches and it got stolen. Ball should have left his feet after a couple of seconds.

Too be fair non of our midfielders have the same technical ability of the Real midfielders and a lack of confidence does not help.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #1260: Oct 23, 2014 03:43:01 pm
      Too be fair non of our midfielders have the same technical ability of the Real midfielders and a lack of confidence does not help.

I guess so but Madrid players aside, Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling do not dally on the ball for long in a spot unless they are looking for something to happen.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,185 posts | 4404 
      Reply #1261: Oct 23, 2014 04:06:36 pm
      I guess so but Madrid players aside, Coutinho, Lallana and Sterling do not dally on the ball for long in a spot unless they are looking for something to happen.

I think Coutinho and Raheem have both been guilty of losing the ball to easily and frequently this season but that's mostly down to the lack of movement around them.
      Notice how Real only needed one touch to move the ball forward due to excellent movement off the ball. All that comes from extreme confidence in your ability and fundamentally having the skill set.

I think that is the way Brendan wants us to evolve but injuries, bedding in new players and drop in form has stalled our progression this season.
      It will come but probably not until Sturridge is back and we get individuals playing together regularly.

Back to Allen he is very accomplished player at what he does but the whole unit needs to click otherwise individual errors are magnified.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1262: Oct 25, 2014 07:05:59 pm
      he again looked like a headless chicken, the bench should be his place to cement this season, let alone he never was lpool material in the first place, doesnt tackle, doesnt pass, at least lucas did 1 thing good
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #1263: Oct 25, 2014 10:51:52 pm
      I really don't get the obsession with Joe Allen.  When he's out injured he apparently is the reason we have no cohesion in midfield.  But when he is in the team, what does he do exactly?  I mean can you name me one game, just one, ever, where Joe Allen has actually taken the game by the scruff of the neck and said "right, let's go win this" and taken the ball and gone forward and tried to make something happen?  The only one I can think of that ever came close was that Europa League game a couple of seasons back, against Zenit, where we needed to thump them by 5 goals or something.  He did pretty well that game.  But other than that he just sort of blends in.

He had a decent start to his career here, some good games in the first half of his first season, but since then he's been just about ok.  Not great, not sh*te, but just.... a body on the pitch.  He's always compared to Modric but did you actually see the REAL Modric (no pun intended) on Wednesday?  same type of player, in theory, yet Modric, you know, actually.... tries to make things happen.  Whereas Joseph seems perfectly content just not doing anything wrong.

Today I saw a lot of him getting the ball, dancing around to see if he could find an easy pass forward, then tapping it back to Lovren or sideways to Can or Stevie.  I mean.... f**king hell.  Go forward and do something lad.  At least Can got his head up and made some runs. 

Look Joe Allen is not the biggest problem we have right now.  But I just fail to see how his absence really was some sort of catalyst for our problems.  He's back now and we pretty much look the same in midfield.  He hasn't done anything wrong but he rarely ever does anything right.
      Kubee
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 469 posts | 11 
      Reply #1264: Oct 25, 2014 11:02:03 pm
      Lots of sideways passing and too little production for me. Baffling decision to start him ahead of Couts.

Quick Reply