Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199137 times
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1541: Mar 01, 2015 02:47:06 pm
      JOSEPH!

Allen was immense today. Not sure I've seen him play so well since his first few months here. His little touches here and there are so effective.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1542: Mar 01, 2015 03:04:18 pm
      JOSEPH!

Allen was immense today. Not sure I've seen him play so well since his first few months here. His little touches here and there are so effective.

Was much more positive with the ball and without it today. Was happy to close and put the first challenge in, was always shifting it or jinking it past one and then sliding the pass forward. Was a real step back up from Joe today, he now needs to watch this match a few times over the next few days because it shows it's there he just needs to produce it consistently rather than the mediocre displays we've become accustomed to in recent times.

Cracking performance Joe, very close to MotM and no shame in anyone missing out to what Cou produced today.
      insideanfield
      • Forum Sami Hyypia

• 472 posts | 22 
      Reply #1543: Mar 01, 2015 03:33:10 pm
      I've always been a fan of Joe Allen and he was immense today.

I think he gets so much flack at times but he won't score goals or provide assists. He is there to keep the ball moving and that is what his game at Swansea was all about. He bossed the midfield today and was great in tandem with Henderson.

Can, Lucas, Henderson and Allen are a very good midfield quartet - perhaps not star quality in any of them individually but they are all such hard workers and grafters which means they can outshine players like Nasri and Silva with their work ethic and pressing.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1544: Mar 01, 2015 04:28:40 pm
      I stuck up for Joe for a long time, but I have to admit that he just isn't up to scratch. I remember watching him a handful of times with Swansea.... He was positive with his passing, confident in possession, had wonderful control and read the game very well defensively. However, he seems to have gone backwards since moving to LFC....

I watched the Chelsea vs PSG match the other day.... Veratti is the player Allen was supposed to be!!

Right when I finally started to give up on the lad, he goes and plays like that.... Well done Joey!! Keep up the good work!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,001 posts | 3952 
      Reply #1545: Mar 01, 2015 04:39:47 pm
      Right when I finally started to give up on the lad, he goes and plays like that.... Well done Joey!! Keep up the good work!!

Wonderful way to be proved wrong mate, the lad didn't put a foot wrong.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #1546: Mar 01, 2015 04:47:06 pm
      Top Man Joe, from a big critic of his!
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #1547: Mar 01, 2015 06:44:26 pm
      Was much more positive with the ball and without it today. Was happy to close and put the first challenge in, was always shifting it or jinking it past one and then sliding the pass forward. Was a real step back up from Joe today, he now needs to watch this match a few times over the next few days because it shows it's there he just needs to produce it consistently rather than the mediocre displays we've become accustomed to in recent times.

Cracking performance Joe, very close to MotM and no shame in anyone missing out to what Cou produced today.

Funnily enough mate I would say that he always does the first part of your post ie. press the ball, play on the front foot, I think he is quietly and efficiently the best presser of the ball in the team. It's the rest of his game that let's him down at times and that's why he has largely been labelled as an average Joe. But today he was superb, he was decent on Thursday night and has in truth been pretty solid the past couple of months. The difference today was he was so much more positive in his passing, he took more responsibility.

More of that please Joe because there is a player in there, it just needs to come out more often.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,796 posts | 2447 
      Reply #1548: Mar 01, 2015 08:13:47 pm
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #1549: Mar 01, 2015 08:19:51 pm

More of that please Joe! Did he miss with a single pass?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,695 posts | 6696 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1550: Mar 01, 2015 09:09:44 pm
      Not a big fan of Joe's but he played a blinder last night. Well done Joe.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1551: Mar 02, 2015 12:28:50 am
      Possibly his best performance for us and performed very well with Henderson in the centre.  Go find their heat map. 
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #1552: Mar 02, 2015 12:41:05 am
      This guy deserves all the credit he gets.  He has taken a lot of stick.  He has had it hard.  Injured, played a game not picked for 3 comes off the bench for 1 and gets injured gets back into the team and gets a niggle.  He has been in and out of the side.  He has always given 100% his attitude has always been brilliant.  Hopefully he will kick on from the last 2 performances especially the City performance.  He needs to take confidence from that and go on a run.   Lucas is still away for a little time so this is his opportunity.  Come on Joe, I knew you were going to come good again! 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,231 posts | 6359 
      Reply #1553: Mar 02, 2015 01:16:48 am
      Great game, looks like he's putting it all together, now please don't get injured again!
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,520 posts | 713 
      Reply #1554: Mar 02, 2015 04:59:05 am
      Remember folks. Class is permanent , form is temporary.

This thread is the prime example of how fans can be.

For the longest time (after last season) some people have been saying Joe Allen was terrible. Brendan worst signing.

Should be part of the 'dead wood' we 'sell off' in the summer 'not liverpool standard' etc etc.

He put in a great performance, this is what he is capable of and we should AS FANS support our players that we know are capable of performing well!

bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1555: Mar 02, 2015 08:09:53 am
      "Fickle" cuts both ways, and it would be silly to hail Joe as the new answer after a couple of excellent performances. That said, if the way he played against Man City didn't at the very least convince Joe himself that he IS actually capable of making it at a top club, nothing will.

He was brilliant from first minute to last, and I think the key was the incision of his passing. Joe's fall-back when his confidence is low is to get too safe when he's on the ball, there was none of that here. This is how he must play though on a regular basis if he's to be worth a place in the side. He's never going to score heavily nor be able to impose himself physically, so to be worth his spot he has to be THE go-to option when we have it. If he can replicate his metronomic control of possession and tempo from yesterday, then anything is possible.

One thing which nobody can dispute though is his status as a good pro. You never hear a peep from him and he gives it his all in every game. If he were to actually prosper, there would surely be few who would begrudge him.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #1556: Mar 02, 2015 08:35:40 am
      Pleased to see Allen has shown yet again why he's a useful player of our squad. If he can keep up this level of performance he might even find himself starting games more often than not.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #1557: Mar 02, 2015 09:30:06 am
      At last Joe turns up well done lad put in a performance I didnt think you had in you in a red shirt  , massive step up on anything else we had previously seen, just one thing please keep it up .
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #1558: Mar 02, 2015 09:50:26 am
      Fantastic game from Joe yesterday, got my MotM vote.

It's not the first time he's had Yaya in his back pocket but he added a couple of others to his collection too. 

More of the same please Joe.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1559: Mar 02, 2015 10:15:19 am
      If he keeps this momentum going , his confidence will get better and better, thus we will see a new Joe Allen from the one with bad performances,
       It seems a few players are getting it right ,what Brendan is asking of them
       and that looks very promising for the club 

YNWA
      Scottbot

• 9,597 posts | 2155 
      Reply #1560: Mar 02, 2015 11:15:57 am
      He was brilliant from first minute to last, and I think the key was the incision of his passing. Joe's fall-back when his confidence is low is to get too safe when he's on the ball, there was none of that here. This is how he must play though on a regular basis if he's to be worth a place in the side. He's never going to score heavily nor be able to impose himself physically, so to be worth his spot he has to be THE go-to option when we have it. If he can replicate his metronomic control of possession and tempo from yesterday, then anything is possible.

This for me mate, at Swansea he used to play the ball forward, he also used to travel with it, commit players and then release it. We saw some of that yesterday, it just needs to happen more often because the lad has ability, he has an excellent touch, good awareness and he can turn on a six pence but as you say, his issues appear to be more on the mental side/belief etc

Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1561: Mar 02, 2015 11:33:18 am
      We have different ambitions.  You're satisfied with top 4.  I want us to win the title.

I'm deeply convinced that until we win the league, we're never going to be taken seriously as a big club again by potential players.  We're always going to be seen as a good team punching above its weight.  But winning the league again will change everything.  Top 4 year in and year out will be a foregone conclusion.  We will be legit threats to City and Chelsea and the  top players will start wanting to come to us again.

So. We need to win the league.  Call me delusional but I honestly think that if we had won the league, we could have kept Suarez.  And if we had won the league we could've nicked Sanchez.  I really think it will just change everything.

Winning the league has to be priority number one.  And players like Joe Allen are holding us back from that.  That is why it annoys me so much.

:lmao:

MOTM alongside Hendo and Couts. You must have spat your Sunny Delight all over your
      TV Fed.  xxxxx:action-smiley-065:
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #1562: Mar 02, 2015 12:43:25 pm
      Fair play he's took some stick for not being exciting to watch but last 2 games he's found the form he had at swansea and is starting to look like a good Squad player we can rely on when called upon. Its still to be decided if he's the future DCM with CAN being so good on the ball and phyiscally stronger but he can give him a good run for his money which only helps LFC out more which is what we all want.

long may this good form continue, Lucas will have to step it up upon his return which again makes Allen raise his game.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #1563: Mar 02, 2015 01:57:53 pm
      Apparently 72% of his passes went forward v City, but that can't be right beause he only passes backwards, right?

Far and away his best game in a reds shirt, eclipsed only by Henderson and Coutinho.

Quick Reply