Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 198981 times
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1679: Jul 09, 2015 07:59:31 am
      Don't see the problem with Joe Allen, very good player. Gives 100%, good lad etc.

OK probably a few better players in the squad, but he is an experienced international, whom plays for wales who btw just beat the no.1 rated team in the world Belgium, wales are 1 spot behind ENgerlund in the fifa rankings now, so he is probably on a par with most england midfielders.

Bit of snobbery I think form some about Joe Allen, Ive seen him have good & bad games just like most players, but always puts the effort in.

SDuring some of the terrible games last season I remember Joe being 1 of the decent performers in quite a few games, then seeing him get slaughtere on twitter etc. sometimes think folk watch different games.

Putting in a good effort doesn't mean he should be anywhere near the starting line-up. The lad runs like a headless chicken, can't spot a pass, can't shoot and he's too lightweight, he isn't very good defensively too. I don't think he'll leave though as long as Rodgers is the manager.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1680: Jul 09, 2015 09:04:52 am
      Putting in a good effort doesn't mean he should be anywhere near the starting line-up. The lad runs like a headless chicken, can't spot a pass, can't shoot and he's too lightweight, he isn't very good defensively too. I don't think he'll leave though as long as Rodgers is the manager.

It's a shame we don't praice players enough for their effort, cos we are quick enough to slaughter them when not giving 100%.

Like I said sometimes I think some people watch different games to me. Im not saying he is our best MF player, but he is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

He's a squad player, who get's a start when rotation kicks in and injuries happen.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1681: Jul 09, 2015 10:20:05 am
      It's a shame we don't praice players enough for their effort, cos we are quick enough to slaughter them when not giving 100%.

Like I said sometimes I think some people watch different games to me. Im not saying he is our best MF player, but he is nowhere near as bad as some make out.

He's a squad player, who get's a start when rotation kicks in and injuries happen.

We had alot of patience with him, how many years we should waste with him in the midfield, he's a liability, if we keep being all romantic about our players we will only waste more years trying to catch up Celski and Citeh.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1682: Jul 09, 2015 01:34:52 pm
      We had alot of patience with him, how many years we should waste with him in the midfield, he's a liability, if we keep being all romantic about our players we will only waste more years trying to catch up Celski and Citeh.

George Ma man, if we were going to upgrade him with somebody better for the squad fair enough, but don't see that happeneing, there are positions the board and BR have been concentrating on.

It could be come this time next season, he has hardly played and he will maybe want a move himself, and seen as he has signed a new contract we should get a few bucks for him.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1683: Jul 09, 2015 01:44:09 pm

I agree. He is inconsistent and does struggle to keep up his level after a run of games, but he has done a decent job at times, motm performances too and should be utilised only as cover.

He'd be a good 4 choice behind Milner, Hendo & Can in the more advanced midfield role, and 3rd choice DM behind Lucas and a new DM :)
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #1684: Jul 09, 2015 02:27:21 pm
      I honestly think besides his obvious lack of size, Allen's biggest problem is that he plays like a non-British midfielder in the English game. I genuinely think he'd be pretty good in Spain or Italy with how football is played there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #1685: Jul 09, 2015 03:15:31 pm

He doesn't run like a headless chicken.

If anything he's the most disciplined midfielder we have.
      brezipool
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,495 posts | 1759 
      • Mon the Red Machine !
      Reply #1686: Jul 09, 2015 04:22:19 pm
      Amazing how we can all see different things in players. ;D.

Wonderful game football.
      shawspeed
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 562 posts | 128 
      Reply #1687: Jul 10, 2015 05:13:09 pm
      He's too lightweight, gets shoved off the ball too easily. As a consequence he panics and passes the ball early sideways or backwards if necessary to avoid any challenges. Compare this to Lucas who draws in a player then uses his strength to turn and play attacking passes generally. I'll agree that he generally puts in loads of effort but lots of it is wasted in my opinion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,168 posts | 6344 
      Reply #1688: Jul 10, 2015 05:53:17 pm
      Don't know the stats but would be interested to see who loses the ball more, Joe or Lucas. I have a feeling it's Leiva but could be wrong.
      GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1689: Jul 10, 2015 06:36:22 pm
      He doesn't run like a headless chicken.

If anything he's the most disciplined midfielder we have.

Disciplined as in never takes any risks, God forbid he'll make an assist now and then or score a screamer.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1690: Jul 10, 2015 06:43:46 pm
      Blimey, it's almost like people don't understand the role of a DM.

Good squad player, neat and tidy, recycles possession well, and not bad at screening the defense.

Criminally underrated by some, he'll rarely get praise on here, but (and here's the key part) a player that other players love to play alongside because he makes their job easier.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1691: Jul 10, 2015 06:55:23 pm
      Blimey, it's almost like people don't understand the role of a DM.

Good squad player, neat and tidy, recycles possession well, and not bad at screening the defense.

Criminally underrated by some, he'll rarely get praise on here, but (and here's the key part) a player that other players love to play alongside because he makes their job easier.

You don't understand the role of a DM if you think Allen is one  :lmao:

And in an absurd thinking if he was, he was sh*te because our defense was always exposed to frontal attacks. Allen can never play that position.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1692: Jul 10, 2015 07:01:29 pm

I actually see Allen more of a defensive box-box player, however, he is our 2nd best DM at the club. Would be silly to sell him if we don't get another DM.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1693: Jul 10, 2015 07:01:51 pm
      Don't see the problem with Joe Allen, very good player. Gives 100%, good lad etc.

OK probably a few better players in the squad, but he is an experienced international, whom plays for wales who btw just beat the no.1 rated team in the world Belgium, wales are 1 spot behind ENgerlund in the fifa rankings now, so he is probably on a par with most england midfielders.

Bit of snobbery I think form some about Joe Allen, Ive seen him have good & bad games just like most players, but always puts the effort in.

SDuring some of the terrible games last season I remember Joe being 1 of the decent performers in quite a few games, then seeing him get slaughtere on twitter etc. sometimes think folk watch different games.

All well and good giving 100% but you have to have some quality to go with it. I'm sure Rickey Gervais could give 100% but he isn't going to win us games by doing that. Phil Jones is a regular for Ingerland now but he isn't anywhere good enough. International football is picked on names now rather than actual ability. If Allen played for Belgium, Spain, Argentina or somebody else that has a lot of top players then I doubt he'd be in the team but without too much disrespect to Wales, they aren't exactly producing top class players other than the odd one or two. Also being 1 place behind Ingerland isn't anything massive because in all honesty, there probably isn't much difference in terms of quality between the two teams now.

Allen isn't the worst player in the world, not by any means but he certainly isn't a £15million player or a player that you would want in your team as a regular if you are competing for trophies. But, he does have his advantages. He's a decent enough player to have on the bench if you are trying to see a game out and just keep possession of the ball and waste some time because he will do the short sideways and backwards passes that don't put us in any real danger. Other than that I don't think he is much use; he offers no threat going forward and is massively unreliable defensively; we saw last season how often he got caught out of position or just being beaten far too easily.

Decent player to add depth but that's it. Nothing special but nothing woeful, he's just a run of the mill average player. Certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over him being sold but at the same time there are players that need to go a lot more than what Allen does.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,139 posts | 4893 
      Reply #1694: Jul 10, 2015 07:31:10 pm
      Disciplined as in never takes any risks, God forbid he'll make an assist now and then or score a screamer.

And still doesn't run around like a headless chicken like you stated.

As Swab said above Allen is under rated by many simply because he isn't a Roy of the Rover's style footballer who catches the eye.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1695: Jul 10, 2015 07:33:00 pm
      because he isn't a Roy of the Rover's style footballer who catches the eye.

More of a Roy's Rolls player ;)
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1696: Jul 11, 2015 12:24:03 pm

And in an absurd thinking if he was, he was sh*te because our defense was always exposed to frontal attacks. Allen can never play that position.

Deary me fella.
      Allen is used exactly as a DM by BR.

The fact that he is used in a slightly different way than a traditional DM, and that BR prefers the volante style over the traditional English style DM seems to have escaped you.
      He plays in the exact same position as Lucas, with the exact same responsibilities of screening the defense and recycling the ball.
      He plays in the same zone as Lucas, as can be seen very easily.
      He played in the same position for Swansea, he played in the same position for team GB, and he plays there for Wales, with the only difference being his zonal position.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,339 posts | 1620 
      Reply #1697: Jul 11, 2015 12:52:59 pm
      And still doesn't run around like a headless chicken like you stated.

As Swab said above Allen is under rated by many simply because he isn't a Roy of the Rover's style footballer who catches the eye.

There could be a simpler explanation of why he is under rated by many  , there is a definite split on Joe those who rate him and those who think he, s , well to put it kindly not very good .
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #1698: Jul 11, 2015 03:32:38 pm
      Criminally underrated by some, he'll rarely get praise on here, but (and here's the key part) a player that other players love to play alongside because he makes them look good .
      Fixed that for you Swab .

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,172 posts | 4401 
      Reply #1699: Jul 11, 2015 04:18:59 pm
      Deary me fella.

The fact that he is used in a slightly different way than a traditional DM, and that BR prefers the volante style over the traditional English style DM seems to have escaped you.
      He plays in the exact same position as Lucas, with the exact same responsibilities of screening the defense and recycling the ball.
      He played in the same position for Swansea, he played in the same position for team GB, and he plays there for Wales, with the only difference being his zonal position.

Not even in the same league as Lucas when it comes to anticipation, retrieving the ball back, in the air etc.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1700: Jul 11, 2015 04:59:12 pm

I was quite happy with my original post thanks mate ;)

Not even in the same league as Lucas when it comes to anticipation, retrieving the ball back, in the air etc.

Lucas is a very, very good footballer and not many can match his attributes.
      The only thing he really lacks is pace.

GeorgeRed
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,590 posts | 324 
      Reply #1701: Jul 11, 2015 10:10:25 pm
      Deary me fella.

The fact that we were conceding goals for fun and were outplayed in midfield most times than not are clues that he's not deserving a starting place at us and surely not in the role Rodgers is using him, i repeat myself, he doesn't have the qualities to be a DM.

Quick Reply