Trending Topics

Next match: Everton v LFC [Premier League] Wed 24th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Goodison Park

Today is the 24th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W10 D8 L7

Joe Pirlo Allen (Liverpool -> Stoke)

Read 199286 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Re: Joe Allen Player Thread
      Reply #1794: Sep 13, 2015 11:47:57 pm
      To be fair mate I was sold on your formation in the pre-match against United, I think that had plenty of positives going for it and an awful lot of fluidity. Plus crucially it didn't have 2 of our most attacking and creative players playing the wing-back roles :D

I just knew Ings and Firmino were going to be played wide.

For me Can isn't perfect as the deepest player but I think he could be moudled to play there and I see him more as a sitting player who can even drop into the back to make a 3.

Allen could be vital in that linking role but I do think we miss Hendo.

Obviously Moreno has to play to gove us the width on the left and to balance Clyne on the right.

It's almost a 3 4 2 1 at times the way I see it.

Skrtel  Can  Sakho

Clyne  Hendo  Allen  Moreno

Firmino  Coutinho

Benteke

Looks like I want to drop Milner and that is far from the caseas I think he has been very good since signing but we need to find an 11  that functions rather than just playing what we think is our best players.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1795: Sep 13, 2015 11:54:32 pm
      I just knew Ings and Firmino were going to be played wide.

For me Can isn't perfect as the deepest player but I think he could be moudled to play there and I see him more as a sitting player who can even drop into the back to make a 3.

Allen could be vital in that linking role but I do think we miss Hendo.

Obviously Moreno has to play to gove us the width on the left and to balance Clyne on the right.

It's almost a 3 4 2 1 at times the way I see it.

Skrtel  Can  Sakho

Clyne  Hendo  Allen  Moreno

Firmino  Coutinho

Benteke

Looks like I want to drop Milner and that is far from the caseas I think he has been very good since signing but we need to find an 11  that functions rather than just playing what we think is our best players.

Honestly Si I'd be extremely happy to see that line-up simply because it would mean we're changing tact. The stubborn nature of Brendan after so many failures of 4-3-3 is beyond comprehension. I think Can being that floating CB could work much better and Skrtel has looked so much better in a 3 than I've ever seen him in a 2.

I remember not long ago me and you disagreeing in the quality of Skrtel and Martin almost won me around in his performances in the centre of a 3 but I don't think we have the organisation to play him as the deepest and Can as the floater. If we could pull that out we might actually have a formation that could take us somewhere.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you'd agree, I expect more of the same and absolutely no progress nor adaptability being shown.

Coutinho
              Benteke      Firmino

Is without a single doubt how we should be setting up as the front 3 in that formation though in my opinion. Not sure how much of Firmino you've seen prior to him coming here but the way we've played him is absolutely shocking.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #1796: Sep 13, 2015 11:58:45 pm
      Bizarrely the best thing that could happen for both Allen and Lovren is if Brendan made way for someone else. Both players are now daubed with the "Rodgers favourite" brush, and both are the first to be criticised should the sh!t hit the fan, possibly deservedly so sometimes but it's true nonetheless.

If someone like Klopp came in and selected Allen and/or Lovren (I know many would think it unlikely), it would throw a whole new slant on how fans view each player. I'm sure both would be out of the team in the short term, but going forward it would be interesting.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1797: Sep 14, 2015 12:00:03 am
      Bizarrely the best thing that could happen for both Allen and Lovren is if Brendan made way for someone else. Both players are now daubed with the "Rodgers favourite" brush, and both are the first to be criticised should the sh!t hit the fan, possibly deservedly so sometimes but it's true nonetheless.

If someone like Klopp came in and selected Allen and/or Lovren (I know many would think it unlikely), it would throw a whole new slant on how fans view each player. I'm sure both would be out of the team in the short term, but going forward it would be interesting.

It would certainly take that tag off their neck Mick, I'd agree with you that I have that bias when I see them selected.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #1798: Sep 14, 2015 12:00:20 am
      Honestly Si I'd be extremely happy to see that line-up simply because it would mean we're changing tact. The stubborn nature of Brendan after so many failures of 4-3-3 is beyond comprehension. I think Can being that floating CB could work much better and Skrtel has looked so much better in a 3 than I've ever seen him in a 2.

I remember not long ago me and you disagreeing in the quality of Skrtel and Martin almost won me around in his performances in the centre of a 3 but I don't think we have the organisation to play him as the deepest and Can as the floater. If we could pull that out we might actually have a formation that could take us somewhere.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you'd agree, I expect more of the same and absolutely no progress nor adaptability being shown.

Coutinho
              Benteke      Firmino

Is without a single doubt how we should be setting up as the front 3 in that formation though in my opinion. Not sure how much of Firmino you've seen prior to him coming here but the way we've played him is absolutely shocking.

I think the players in our squad scream a fluid 3 4 3 mate with Can as that floating CB come DM in between Sakho and Skrtel. I do recall us disagreeing on Martin and while I do rate him much higher than you do I do agree that he needs a certain formation and system to make the best of him.

From what I've seen of Firmino he's a number 10 all day long and one who plays close to the front man. Not a wide man at all.
      « Last Edit: Sep 14, 2015 12:14:16 am by srslfc »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #1799: Sep 14, 2015 12:02:02 am

Personally I think Allen has a lot more to offer than Dejan Mick.

I still can't get past that we have out best CB sitting twiddling his thumbs on the bench.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1800: Sep 14, 2015 12:07:00 am
      I think the players in our sqaud scream a fluid 3 4 3 mate with Can as that floating CB come DM in between Sakho and Skrtel. I do recall us disagreeing on Martin and while I do rate him much higher than you do I do agree that he needs a certain formation and system to make the best of him.

From what I've seen of Firmino he's a number 10 all day long and one who plays close to the front man. Not a wide man at all.

Agree with this mate, it's the most efficient way to bring width into our team.

In terms of Sakho I think the only thing that keeps him at the club beyond this summer is a change of manager and it would be a travesty to let that guy go because I think he already is a brilliant defender and has the potential to be the best in the league. Confidence from his manager would go a long way, if Brendan backed him how he did Dejan I think we'd already see an absolute beast.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #1801: Oct 14, 2015 08:10:22 pm

Mate, I actually think Allen is the dark horse to step out of the shadows under Klopp. He is excellent in the pressing game, knows exactly when to do it and is quite quick and mobile in short bursts (as you have to be to press effectively). I've always felt with Allen that there is a cracking little player waiting to get out.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,172 posts | 4907 
      Reply #1802: Oct 14, 2015 08:41:01 pm
      Mate, I actually think Allen is the dark horse to step out of the shadows under Klopp.

I have that same feeling Scott.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1803: Oct 14, 2015 08:47:44 pm
      Mate, I actually think Allen is the dark horse to step out of the shadows under Klopp. He is excellent in the pressing game, knows exactly when to do it and is quite quick and mobile in short bursts (as you have to be to press effectively). I've always felt with Allen that there is a cracking little player waiting to get out.

I have that same feeling Scott.

Yeah me too. Never got the vitriol Allen received in all honesty and not taking the opinion/vitriol he gets from your grade a loser forums members like shitface etc. Still think he is a handy squad player and is demeaned largely for being a 'Brendan signing'. His ability to release the ball as quickly as he received it is something Klopp will love no doubt. He simply doesn't work well in a system where the players around him are taking touch after touch after touch. For sure, he is no catalyst and will not bring a teams performance up from bad to good but when the players around him are operating well, he is seamless. Case in point - our 5-0 victory over Tottenham at White Hart Lane in December 2013 where he was superb alongside Lucas and Hendo. He's had a number of very good performances for Liverpool in the three years he's been here. It'd be nice to see more of them but in a full flowing Klopp side, he'd be an asset I feel.
      Scottbot

• 9,600 posts | 2156 
      Reply #1804: Oct 14, 2015 09:00:58 pm
      Yeah me too. Never got the vitriol Allen received in all honesty and not taking the opinion/vitriol he gets from your grade a loser forums members like shitface etc. Still think he is a handy squad player and is demeaned largely for being a 'Brendan signing'. His ability to release the ball as quickly as he received it is something Klopp will love no doubt. He simply doesn't work well in a system where the players around him are taking touch after touch after touch. For sure, he is no catalyst and will not bring a teams performance up from bad to good but when the players around him are operating well, he is seamless. Case in point - our 5-0 victory over Tottenham at White Hart Lane in December 2013 where he was superb alongside Lucas and Hendo. He's had a number of very good performances for Liverpool in the three years he's been here. It'd be nice to see more of them but in a full flowing Klopp side, he'd be an asset I feel.

Good shout on the Spurs 5-0 game. I actually thought he was at his most effective playing left side of the diamond during the 2nd half of our title challenge 2 years back. Because we had such skilful players around him in Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling it meant that his ability to press, get around the pitch and move the ball quickly all came to the fore. As you say, you need the right conditions to get the best out of Joe, the right style of play, formation and players around him. Everything I've read about Klopp and his tactics suggests that Allen may find himself a role in this new start. Funnily enough, it is fans favourites (certainly on here) like Emre Can who I would worry about, he has qualities but he is about as mobile and hard working off the ball as Charlie Adam and I don't think that will wash with Jürgen. He's going to have to do some running now, and not just when he has the ball.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1805: Oct 14, 2015 10:07:58 pm
      Not so sure his stamina is there, as some are suggesting.  Lost track of the number of times he faded or just disappeared in the second half.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1806: Oct 14, 2015 10:22:13 pm
      It's all on what is expected of Allen?

In a klopp 4231 if he plays as one of the 2 he will be expected to provide the extra man from midfield with forward runs and the defensive shield to the back four.

I'm not really sure he excels as someone who drives forward with the ball or provides enough defensive protection. Being able to run is not enough I'm afraid otherwise I would have a chance!
      « Last Edit: Oct 14, 2015 10:43:40 pm by HScRed1 »
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #1807: Oct 14, 2015 10:53:01 pm
      Good shout on the Spurs 5-0 game. I actually thought he was at his most effective playing left side of the diamond during the 2nd half of our title challenge 2 years back. Because we had such skilful players around him in Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling it meant that his ability to press, get around the pitch and move the ball quickly all came to the fore. As you say, you need the right conditions to get the best out of Joe, the right style of play, formation and players around him. Everything I've read about Klopp and his tactics suggests that Allen may find himself a role in this new start. Funnily enough, it is fans favourites (certainly on here) like Emre Can who I would worry about, he has qualities but he is about as mobile and hard working off the ball as Charlie Adam and I don't think that will wash with Jürgen. He's going to have to do some running now, and not just when he has the ball.

That Tottenham game had a perfect balance to it I feel, thanks largely to the midfield of Lucas, Allen and Henderson. Three different players offering different things but with greater mobility and defensive robustness than any midfield that included Gerrard over the last three years. Not saying Gerrard's inclusion was wrong - it wasn't. Steven's ability to transform the game was still potent two years ago, exemplified by a superb match winning cross field ball that led to Henderson's winner against Swansea in February 2014. That said, I think we sacrificed some form of balance in bias of attack when Gerrard was included.

I think there are some major issues that need ironed out with Can. As you say, mobility is a question - maybe my perception is false but he seems to have the mobility of a cross channel ferry. Takes him about as long to do a turn as well! In value terms I see little difference between him and Allen but with English perception I guess the big 6 ft plus is given precedence over the little man because it plays up to the English/British ideas of strength and purpose within the game.
      « Last Edit: Oct 14, 2015 11:08:47 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #1808: Oct 15, 2015 01:36:56 pm
      Not so sure his stamina is there, as some are suggesting.  Lost track of the number of times he faded or just disappeared in the second half.

It looked to me like he was a bit unsure when to sit and when to press, with the result he got caught in no mans land and had to sprint to get back into position.
      He certainly wasn't helped by playing with a CB who doesn't communicate, and falls back into his comfort zone of moving deeper all the time, whilst on the other side we had a very aggressive CB who kept F***ing up.

Allen first caught my eye playing for Team GB in the olympics, when he was excellent and looked every inch a cracking little player.
      He's lost his way a bit since coming here with injuries, different formations and sometimes playing with a midfield partner and other times without.
      I think a 4231 could benefit him, but Lucas is a better defender and for now, a better passer.
      If Klopp goes with his favoured 4231, then Lucas gets the nod for me, as one of the deep midfielders will press while the other one sits, but until Henderson is fit, I have no problems with Allen next to Lucas, as the presser and player who goes forwards to support.
      harrydunn08

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #1809: Oct 15, 2015 06:23:26 pm
      It's so disappointing because Joe really was spectacular in that 1st season in the Prem with Swansea..... he's just never got back to that level here.  I'll hold out hope that he may transform under Klopp, but I also won't hold my breath based on what he's shown over the last 3 years.... 
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,174 posts | 4402 
      Reply #1810: Oct 29, 2015 12:02:57 am
      Redeemed himself in the second half but mostly because Lucas came on in the second half which males you wonder if he has a long term future.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1811: Oct 29, 2015 01:41:03 am
      Redeemed himself in the second half but mostly because Lucas came on in the second half which males you wonder if he has a long term future.

I agree with this. He's very inconsistent when playing that DM role, but what other choices do we have other than Lucas?  I think Allen is best operated in a box-box defensive role where he is keeping the ball ticking and pressing, pressing and pressing. I still believe he's a better option than Can, but long term, I would want a ball playing midfielder.... Pjanic? :D
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,992 posts | 223 
      Reply #1812: Oct 29, 2015 10:36:55 am
      . He's very inconsistent when playing that DM role, but what other choices do we have other than Lucas?   :D

Rúben Neves
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #1813: Oct 29, 2015 12:03:53 pm

When did we sign him?
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,992 posts | 223 
      Reply #1814: Oct 29, 2015 09:38:33 pm
      January 2016
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1815: Oct 29, 2015 09:47:11 pm

Euro Lotto numbers for this week? :)
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1816: Oct 30, 2015 08:54:19 am
      I want to give all players the opportunity for Klopp to play them nut he still frustrates me the way a strong wind knocks him over and his passing is just awful and he cant tackle. But give him a chance

Quick Reply